What settings should I be using?

Rooker

Hey guys, I finally replaced my toaster PC and can finally play FO4. :D :D :D

The launcher didn't detect my graphics card for some reason when I first launched it, so I'm not sure what settings to use. What would you suggest for this PC? High? Ultra? It plays (old) Skyrim with a dozen HD texture packs and 150+ mods at 1080p on Ultra without breathing hard.

AMD FX 6300 (six core)

Geforce GTX 1050 TI (4gb vram)

8GB RAM

7200rpm spinning HDD (couldn't afford an SSD :( )

Thx

Nvidia has this really useful tool called Ge force Experience that checks every new and newish game and optimizes your settings based on your specs . you should really check it out 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

having said that, your specs "should"  allow you to play FO4 at high although 8gb of ram (instead of 16 lets say) my give cause it to run not as smooth as it would have been with more ram. An HDD shouldnt affect performance per say but will cause longer loading times (i have the same and sometimes it gets really slow to load)

Nvidia has this really useful tool called Ge force Experience that checks every new and newish game and optimizes your settings based on your specs . you should really check it out 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

having said that, your specs "should"  allow you to play FO4 at high although 8gb of ram (instead of 16 lets say) my give cause it to run not as smooth as it would have been with more ram. An HDD shouldnt affect performance per say but will cause longer loading times (i have the same and sometimes it gets really slow to load)

GFE setting optimization is garbage. Its literally recommends GPU depeandant better settings, after you switch CPU...etc.

OP: Check the performance on ultra (except shadow distance@medium).

At some point, the game can really fill the Vram with the official texture pack, you can give it a try as well, but you should expect some stuttering here and there.

Fallout4_2017_06_11_21_45_51_316.jpg

Just to give ya an idea of what I am running:

Windows 10 64bit

i5-4460 (3.2Ghz Quad)

Nvidia 1050ti 4GB

12GB Ram

With those specs, I am running Ultra on everything (without Motion Blur cause I don't like it), a few setting tweaks (HBAO tweaks from Natural Female, water reflections, and grass stuff, etc), and a bunch of texture mods and 180+ plugins. Then with ENB of course (been using Vogue lately after using Grim). I don't use the official HD pack as mods I feel do a better job.

I get indoors an easy 50-60 fps, and outdoors 40-50 fps. Heavy areas will drop me down to the 30s, but I mostly stay in the 40-50 range normally. This is with my fps capped at 60 (anything over causes the game to go haywire at times).

Hope that helps you out. Mine is a bit weaker system wise, but same gpu so figured it might help ya with a benchmark to get started at least. :)

Archived