Alpha Blend on Imported Hair

Anyone know how to get a proper alpha blend working on hair? I've been pulling out my own hair trying to figure this out.

I've got importing hair down, physics working great, but I've run into dead ends on this issue. I'm just not willing to settle for sharp, jagged alpha lines. It's driving me crazy.

From what I've been able to google, it isn't possible with a .bgsm file. If I change the blend mode from Unknown to Standard, it looks great in NifSkope, but turns invisible in-game.

Unknown.png           Standard.png

I read elsewhere that it's possible if you change BSLightingShaderProperty to BSEffectShaderProperty and use a .bgem rather than a .bgsm. This did work, but I don't think it's meant to be used for hair. I spent an hour and a half changing all the options in the material editor, to very little success. The best I managed to achieve was the greyscale texture that glowed brightly and was unreactive to in-game lighting.

Also this gem:

adventuresinmodding_BGEM.png

I've seen it mentioned that alpha blending can be achieved through vertex painting in 3DS Max and certain NifSkope flags, but I haven't been able to find out more. I know very little about vertex painting, but I'm willing to learn. It seems similiar to weight painting, but I'm unsure how it correlates to the alpha.

Can anyone help? I'm a bit out of my depth here, so any tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived