[mod] [Stellaris] Kagami Species

2 hours ago, Princessity said:

Since your code is based on ours (from Elves of Stellaris) then it's working as intended. The policy is only meant to affect new recruits, not existing leaders ^^ That's why it's triggered by on_leader_spawned.

Unless you still get new male leaders spawning in which case there is something wrong.

It doesn't affect new recruits in this mod however. After the 10 year refresh for your potential leaders get replaced, there is still a mix of male and female leaders even with All-Female leadership policy.

2 hours ago, Synthesis said:

To give credit where credit is due, the code that's implemented so far is from Nessa--who I think got it from you. 

To be clear, I had very little or anything to do with it. I really don't understand how policy choices work, but I wanted to mention that. 

Well, we're a team so we come up with most ideas together ^^

And oh... I'm sorry I didn't realise you were still learning! I kinda assumed you understood everything I was saying regarding events and triggers and all the stuff, ooops!

Okay I'll try to explain things better <3 Events can seem really weird at first so learning from working eamples definitely helps. Once you know how things connect between all the different files, it starts making a lot more sense. 

48 minutes ago, CommanderHolt said:

It doesn't affect new recruits in this mod however. After the 10 year refresh for your potential leaders get replaced, there is still a mix of male and female leaders even with All-Female leadership policy.

Huh, that's weird. The events folder was int he wrong place but the code looked like it should be working. I'll take a look at it later and try to help Synthesis figure it out.

Oh by the by does your error log show anything kagami-related?

12 hours ago, Princessity said:

Well, we're a team so we come up with most ideas together ^^

And oh... I'm sorry I didn't realise you were still learning! I kinda assumed you understood everything I was saying regarding events and triggers and all the stuff, ooops!

Okay I'll try to explain things better <3 Events can seem really weird at first so learning from working eamples definitely helps. Once you know how things connect between all the different files, it starts making a lot more sense. 

It's quite all right. I'm not really exaggerating when I say that if it goes beyond portraits and naming files, I don't know anything about Stellaris modding (and most of my time on portraits was spent trying to fix Paradox's broken damn heir succession system). 

What I put in 1.6 was directly inspired by example, apparently, but given that I didn't even get the folder structure right, I'm only confident in the fact that I got something wrong, and not even what specifically about it. But that's the next thing to fix, then maybe creating a default option so that the gender balance is 70/30 or 80/20 (to avoid male repeats among other things).

Events would be nice too. As I've said in the past, I could probably write a hundred tiny little story events, without exaggeration, but I could never actually code a single one of them. 

Okay I had a moment to fix and test it and... after correcting the folder structure everything works.

Here! Fixed folder structure, species classes and compatibility with 1.8.3.

kagami v106 fixed.7z

(remember to delete the misplaced common\events folder on your end)

Also I did as you said and implemented the 80-20 split as the default gender policy option.

If you wanted to create another policy option, here's what you'd do:

• In common\policies\kagami_gender_policies.txt add another option = {} bracket with new and distinct policy_flags = {} (this is what the events use to detect which policy option is enabled)
  • Then, in events\kagami_shared\events.txt, create kagami_shared_events.3 (or another number) and code it to do whatever you want
  • Then, go to common\on_actions\kagami_shared_on_actions.txt and add kagami_shared_events.3 (or the corresponding number) inside the on_leader_spawned = {} bracket, alongside the other events

It's all very simple in the way it works, the only tricky thing is that the components of this simple mechanism are ALL over the place n_n

Hurray! Thanks to Princessity's generosity (and actually understanding how the code works), I think we now have three working options (the "Quota" system is just set 50/50, assuming that works). In any case, at least they all have working descriptions and requirements were applicable. I'll post the updated version tomorrow when I get back from work.

Who knows, maybe I can take a break from portrait creation and create a few new events....well, with help anyway, since a few people asked for them. That's assuming events can be species specific, which I actually don't know...

4 hours ago, Onimonipea said:

They can be, purely because I know for a fact the coding of the Star Trek: New Horizons mod calls for individual race or tag events.

They would be a good use of a huge amount of art that isn't egregiously erotic (hah), but is totally useless for portraits. Most of them would probably be very simplistic, but I can't even implement the most basic of them--I have zero idea how they work. 

What immediate comes to mind would be stylized rebel factions and triggering events for them, rather than the generic ones.

4 hours ago, CommanderHolt said:

Did you upload the 1.07 version? I see the description has been updated, but I don't see any file newer than 1.06. Also, yesterday was the release of 1.9 which was basically some minor bugfixes and enabling the new DLC so I don't see any changes needed there beyond updating the version # again.

Arg, I guess I must have closed my browser too early. Fixed. 

I've been playing the game with the mod for a little bit but noticed something. For some reason the "Sanguine Hive" and "Academy of Earth" empires don't show up for me. Even in an untouched fresh download. I also split the mods empires up and the first three worked and then Sanguine Hive didn't once I got up to it. I didn't go any further splitting it up as I assume it would end up the same regarding the AoE. Any suggestions?

12 hours ago, Gubgrub said:

I've been playing the game with the mod for a little bit but noticed something. For some reason the "Sanguine Hive" and "Academy of Earth" empires don't show up for me. Even in an untouched fresh download. I also split the mods empires up and the first three worked and then Sanguine Hive didn't once I got up to it. I didn't go any further splitting it up as I assume it would end up the same regarding the AoE. Any suggestions?

Hmm, that does sound broken. 

What do you mean, "won't show up"? As in, they don't appear in the listing of pre-made empires? Or they won't load up in the game. Also, you split the mods up? 

2 hours ago, RandomInternetGuy said:

Has anyone figured out a fix for some of the portraits being absurdly small? I know it’s not a hugely common issue, I was just wondering.

I don't believe so--it has to do with how some lower end graphics processors handle high-quality DDS files, and the only way I can think of to fix them would be to re-encode them one by one. :frown: What kind of GPU are you running? 

5 hours ago, RandomInternetGuy said:

1920x1080

Hmmm, crap. I was hoping you were playing at a weird resolution of some kind.

Unfortunately, my understanding of DDS files as pretty limited, and I only have one PC to try the mod out for the most part--to the best of my knowledge, the original sub-200kb portraits aren't effected by this, but the vast majority are now in the ~250kb range, and apparently are? I don't know about any software that mass-compresses DDS files, even if that were a solution. 

On 12/16/2017 at 9:35 PM, Synthesis said:

I don't believe so--it has to do with how some lower end graphics processors handle high-quality DDS files, and the only way I can think of to fix them would be to re-encode them one by one. :frown: What kind of GPU are you running? 

I don't know if this helps you in finding a fix at all, but not only are some of your portraits small, but with your mod enabled it will also give other static portrait mods small images (such as united sci-fi races). Which makes me feel like its not a problem with the portrait quality.

17 hours ago, JadedJawa said:

I don't know if this helps you in finding a fix at all, but not only are some of your portraits small, but with your mod enabled it will also give other static portrait mods small images (such as united sci-fi races). Which makes me feel like its not a problem with the portrait quality.

Oh, boy, that sounds like possible something wrong with the 00_portraits_positioning file (which I had trouble getting working in the first place), one that I can't replicate. None of my modded or unmodded species have shrunken portraits. I assume you're seeing this in planetary pops, or is it leaders, or both?

EDIT: Also, anyone experiencing this issue--can you delete the 00_portraits_positioning file and see if it still happens? 

I need somehelp on the ruler portrait.

I've followed your walktrhoug in how to change the portrait, but i keep making the save chrash when i load it.

I'm opening my save with winrar. Then i click gamestate and open with notepad. I search my ruler and get 2 areas. i skip the 1st area, cause i cant find Agenda, and it got stats about ships killed.

The 2nd and last line i got with her

16777260={
        name={
            first_name="Ananya"
            second_name="Mononobe"
            regnal_number=1
        }
        species_index=62
        portrait="kagami"
        gender=female
        country=0
        class=ruler
        experience=272.000
        level=2
        location={
            planet=3
        }
        pre_ruler_location={
            planet=5829
        }
        target_coordinate={
            planet=5829
        }
        start="2277.03.03"
        end="2277.03.13"
        date="2184.01.29"
        age=0
        agenda="agenda_selective_nostalgia"
        roles={

These are placed in lines for me (proberly also for all? i dont know)

my 1st attempt, i copy pasted your line in between agenda and roles and picked a pic.

design={ gender=female name="Ananya" portrait="mifuyu3" texture=0 hair=0 clothes=0 }

I've done this with and without filling the name space

Anyway, i apreciate your mod thanks for making it

On 12/15/2017 at 5:40 PM, Synthesis said:

Hmm, that does sound broken. 

What do you mean, "won't show up"? As in, they don't appear in the listing of pre-made empires? Or they won't load up in the game. Also, you split the mods up? 

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Holiday stuff and work going on. They don't show up as empires when I activate the mod. Like as if they were not even part of the mod. Also when I say split up the mod I just made the mod into only one individual empire out of the original included in the base mod. When I split them individually I can get the portraits of the S.H. when I make them with the Stellaris create an empire feature. It's been a while and I can't quite recall if the more in depth things like the ship names and other bits would be detected by create an empire feature.

Fortunately for you guys, I don't celebrate Christmas. ;)

11 hours ago, Gubgrub said:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Holiday stuff and work going on. They don't show up as empires when I activate the mod. Like as if they were not even part of the mod. Also when I say split up the mod I just made the mod into only one individual empire out of the original included in the base mod. When I split them individually I can get the portraits of the S.H. when I make them with the Stellaris create an empire feature. It's been a while and I can't quite recall if the more in depth things like the ship names and other bits would be detected by create an empire feature.

Oh boy. Well, I'm completely stumped. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you've modified the mod's files to change the empire list...and now some of them don't show up? And something about "S.H."? 

I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to modding, so I'm not really sure what might've gone wrong beyond "You changed the empire configuration files and now the empires don't work." Which might not be the case either, but you are the first person to report this issue...most obviously, when you installed the most recent update of this mod, did you install it on top of the existing mod? That's been known to cause some issues, please delete the existing mod complete and then install it.

12 hours ago, Myusenamehere said:

I need somehelp on the ruler portrait.

I've followed your walktrhoug in how to change the portrait, but i keep making the save chrash when i load it.

I'm opening my save with winrar. Then i click gamestate and open with notepad. I search my ruler and get 2 areas. i skip the 1st area, cause i cant find Agenda, and it got stats about ships killed.

The 2nd and last line i got with her

16777260={
        name={
            first_name="Ananya"
            second_name="Mononobe"
            regnal_number=1
        }
        species_index=62
        portrait="kagami"
        gender=female
        country=0
        class=ruler
        experience=272.000
        level=2
        location={
            planet=3
        }
        pre_ruler_location={
            planet=5829
        }
        target_coordinate={
            planet=5829
        }
        start="2277.03.03"
        end="2277.03.13"
        date="2184.01.29"
        age=0
        agenda="agenda_selective_nostalgia"
        roles={

These are placed in lines for me (proberly also for all? i dont know)

my 1st attempt, i copy pasted your line in between agenda and roles and picked a pic.

design={ gender=female name="Ananya" portrait="mifuyu3" texture=0 hair=0 clothes=0 }

I've done this with and without filling the name space

Anyway, i apreciate your mod thanks for making it

Okay, this is something I actually do know something about...I think you definitely put the information into the wrong place. First, load up an unmodified save (that doesn't crash). That's an important place to start.

Now, you're attempting to modify another empire--not the one you're trying to play, right? Otherwise the country number would be closer to 0, not 16777260. If so, I'm not sure if you can safely modify other Empire's leaders, since they have to obey different game logic on top of the same ones. 

Next, age is listed as 0...I don't think a leader can have age 0, it's not like having a hair or clothing value of 0. Check an unmodified, lodable file and see if it's also 0, that's rather confusing. The lack of a pop_faction is odd too, but not impossible. 

Please check your last good save, and copy the data for the leader you want to replace here (at least that way we know what works), and we can go on from there. 

11 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Now, you're attempting to modify another empire--not the one you're trying to play, right? Otherwise the country number would be closer to 0, not 16777260.

I did try to modify my current leader at the time, but if you'r saying i've fiddled with another empire, i might have done that by mistake? (never really touched such files before) but i picked the line who had the same trait name as my leader, so i asumed it was the correct one?

(I did play a lil and my former leader died, so it's a new name)

name={
            first_name="Mahlubandile"
            second_name="Mononobe"
            regnal_number=1
        }
        species_index=62
        portrait="kagami"
        gender=male
        country=0
        class=ruler
        experience=265.500
        level=2
        location={
            planet=5829
        }
        pre_ruler_location={
            planet=5829
        }
        target_coordinate={
            planet=5829
        }
        start="2278.10.02"
        end="2278.10.02"
        date="2246.10.02"
        age=0
        pop_faction=2
        flags={
            has_gained_level_trait=63578400
        }
        agenda="agenda_public_debates"
        roles={
            admiral={
                trait="leader_trait_trickster"
            }
            general={
                trait="leader_trait_attacker"
            }
            scientist={
                trait="leader_trait_custom_AI_assistant"
            }
            governor={
                trait="leader_trait_iron_fist"
            }
            ruler={
                trait="trait_ruler_champion_of_the_people"
                trait="trait_ruler_investor"
                trait="trait_ruler_fortifier"
            }
        }

(Might have pasted too muuch, but better safe than sorry i gues?)

So i've looked trhough my new save, and i can see a pop faction on this one, but age is =0, while he is 52 in game

11 hours ago, Synthesis said:

Fortunately for you guys, I don't celebrate Christmas. ;)

I hope you had a good time anyway =)

Okay, so to clarify--this is an ascended ruler in a monarchy (the last monarch died), and "his" appearance is that of the generic species portrait (which is Lieri Bishop), right?

If so, okay, we can proceed. If you want to change said ruler's gender, obviously the gender=male line is going to need to reflect that. Then we can move to the next step:

flags={
            has_gained_level_trait=63578400
       		}
        agenda="agenda_public_debates"
		design={			
			gender=PUT GENDER HERE			
			name="PUT FIRST AND LAST NAME HERE"			
			portrait=YOUR PORTRAIT.DDS			
			texture=0			
			hair=0			
			clothes=0		
		}
  		roles={
            admiral={
                trait="leader_trait_trickster"
            }
            general={
                trait="leader_trait_attacker"
            }

The big things to be aware of is that while their horizontal position in their line doesn't matter, you need to have all the right brackets. A Missing bracket will cause a crash. I think quotation marks only matter when an entry is more than one word long, to ensure the game doesn't cut it off at the first space. Make sure your gender in the design section matches the rest of it. Make sure the name matches (all two-name leaders in the game have the first and second names in that order) Since you didn't specify who you want ultimately, I couldn't be more specific naturally. 

As always, make sure to edit this in Notepad++ (don't change the extension of the file). Put it back in the zip, and change that extension to a SAV file (don't just rename it, someone else ran into that problem--you have to actively change the file type back to  a *.SAV file, the game will not read a ZIP file even though the saves very clearly are ZIP files). 

On 12/26/2017 at 3:46 PM, Synthesis said:

Oh boy. Well, I'm completely stumped. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you've modified the mod's files to change the empire list...and now some of them don't show up? And something about "S.H."? 

I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to modding, so I'm not really sure what might've gone wrong beyond "You changed the empire configuration files and now the empires don't work." Which might not be the case either, but you are the first person to report this issue...most obviously, when you installed the most recent update of this mod, did you install it on top of the existing

mod? That's been known to cause some issues, please delete the existing mod complete and then install it.

S.H. was Sanguine Hive sorry for not explaining that in my previous post. I did not install it over the previous mod. I did a clean install of the mod and then a clean install of the game and mod when I saw the same thing happen with the update.

When I did modify the files I made sure I didn't change too much so as not to potentially destabilize anything. For example if I wanted to make this mod the "Makai Dynasty" mod instead of the "Kagami Species" mod I removed all traces of the other empires from the prescripted countries file and deleted the other file. Renamed a few liines in the other files in the mod so instead of "KAG, kagami, KAGAMI," etc it was "MAK, makai, MAKAI," etc. I changed a few lines regarding the portraits too so it would display the appropriate one for each empire. So essentially it was your mod minus all the other empires you included except the one I wanted. It worked perfectly for the first three empires and when I applied it to the Sanguine Hive it didn't. That's when I noticed the problem with the Sanguine Hive and Academy of Earth not displaying for me in game in my modified version of your mod or a clean one untouched by me.

Like you said this might only be affecting me. If so does this game have some sort of log file that I can upload that might help you pinpoint it?