A note to CK2 religion modders

MeMe

I've been doing some work on genericlogin's Christianity Mod recently to allow for expansion and expose more functionality to submods. All of the hardcoded religion = catholic checks have been replaced by the scripted triggers shown below:

# List of religions that consider lustfulness a virtue and chastity a vice
lustful_religion = {
	religion = catholic
}

# List of religions that consider men and women equally for job positions
equality_religion = {
	OR = {
		religion = catholic
		religion = cathar
		religion = messalian
	}
}

# List of religions that allow incest without scandal (but don't necessarily encourage it)
incest_religion = {
	OR = {
		religion = catholic
		religion = messalian
		religion_group = zoroastrian_group
	}
}

# List of religions that consider prostitution holy and thus revere priestess-whores
# and to a lesser extent, whoring in general. This is considered a Catholic-specific quirk
priestess_whore_religion = {
	religion = catholic
}

# List of religions that allow divorce for adultery (but don't necessarily encourage it)
# This is considered a Catholic-specific quirk among lustful religions - as the current Catholic attitude towards sex became dominant,
# the nobility forced the church to continue allowing divorce for adultery (although actually doing so is severely frowned on)
adultery_divorce_allowed = {
	OR = {
		lustful_religion = no
		religion = catholic
	}
}

This allows complimentary religion mods to add their religion to these lists and gain all the same functionality as Catholicism when running alongside his mod.

I'll keep this short since it should be pretty clear what each trigger does, but any questions or feedback would be welcome.

Do you think secret_religion = x would also work here? In a religion mod I'm making, the player is secretly a lustful religion before converting to the actual religion.

Also I assume this file goes in the scripted_triggers folder?

That's an interesting thought. I'll look into making a new secretly_lustful_religion trigger - I would think you only want the personal effects like approving of your spouse's sexcapades without anything relating to society in general. That could also be useful for lustful religion converts in a province not dominated by a lustful religion.

Yes, it is in scripted_triggers. It could be changed before release (a more generic name?) but right now it is common/scripted_triggers/christ_scripted_triggers.txt.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new version of Christianity Mod which incorporates MeMe's scripted triggers is now available at the mod's new home. Modders who want to take advantage of them can look in the christ_scripted_triggers.txt file in common/scripted_triggers. The benefit of doing so is that your mod's custom religion (Lilithian, Ylfic, etc.) can take advantage of all the event overhauls I've done with a simple addition to the relevant triggers.

Part of the reason I never built in compatibility for Beyond Heresy with Christianity is that the two are, in my mind, strongly at odds in terms of theme and flavor.  That is, there really isn't a point to Lilith having her own heretic version of Catholicism/etc if the default version is already tolerant of sex/gender/etc.

So I never really used that mod, which is usually the driver for most of what I've done, since it's really me modding stuff for my own game that I then post up if others wanted to use it. That said, it's certainly cool for those who want to do so! :)

Part of the reason I never built in compatibility for Beyond Heresy with Christianity is that the two are, in my mind, strongly at odds in terms of theme and flavor.  That is, there really isn't a point to Lilith having her own heretic version of Catholicism/etc if the default version is already tolerant of sex/gender/etc.

So I never really used that mod, which is usually the driver for most of what I've done, since it's really me modding stuff for my own game that I then post up if others wanted to use it. That said, it's certainly cool for those who want to do so! smile.png

I obviously can't recommend this for an official compatibility patch, but I'm curious what would happen if you removed Catholicism as a lustful religion in christ_scripted_triggers and put Lilithianism in its place. You would need to remove CM's history folder as well, but theoretically you would get traditional Catholicism and a vanilla event overhaul for Lilithianism.

I'm sure there are some hardcoded quirks that would still be left over in Catholicism, nothing gamebreaking, but I'm curious what they are.

He'd also need to remove christ_religion.txt from the religions folder.

For what it's worth, I've made a point of avoiding mention of Lilith in my mod. In fact, there's a vanilla event that mentions her which I changed to refer to someone else. The idea was to maintain compatibility with Dark World and its related mods. My thinking is that Catholics would view Lilith as a "good guy" in their mythology, but I do think it's still feasible to have a Lilithian religion exist in the same setting. Kind of like the way the various Catholic heresies coexist with the vanilla Catholics.

I also really haven't had a lot of motivation to work on modding religious stuff lately - most of what I've been doing in my current burst of activity has been on other things.

And yes, it's certainly true that if there's one thing religions are good at, it's making minor doctrinal quibbles into gigantic schisms, and even wars. :)

Right now I don't do any alterations of any vanilla game resources, save for succession laws, as when I tried to create my own versions to allow for female-preference, the game didn't like that (and kept reverting each time there was a succession). So that would probably be the big thing that would need a compatibility patch, if anything?

Archived