Microsoft is fixing Skyrim's memory problem with Windows10 and DX9

prinyo

I am also currently running the DX9 fix (the Build 16232.rs is stable so far, I have had no unusual erratic behavior from windows itself)

I did however have this issue. After initial installation I checked the available memory using the tool Saber posted and my memory only went up from 4g to 4700. Which seemed a little underwhelming. dodgy.gif

My current system is 32gb RAM with dual eVga 980 cards in SLI. so it should have been much higher.

I removed the lead card from my SLI string and restarted with just one 980 card and the memory available shot up to 20384 (much more like it)

At this time I do not know if the issue is with SLI or if my lead card was the problem (I had not been experiencing any issues other than the memory one with the DX9 fix so I am leaning toward it being an SLI issue.) yes i know, just put the other card in and see what happens... I will but I am too lazy to do it right now and the pool is calling my name. I will update later on what I find out. tongue.png 

Can anyone with high vram confirm that it's working flawlessly for them?

I've been working for a week now to fix the stutters and I found out that whenever I exceed the 4GB vram the game starts to stutter really bad.

I'm on build 16232, so vram fix is installed and MO works ok. Tried everything but no setting in enb could fix the stuttering issues.

It's like the fix is fake for me, it still uses only 4GB vram and if the game/enb wants to use more, it uses actual memory or pagefile?

Any help is appreciated. I'm starting to go a little crazy.

Try increasing ReservedMemorySizeMB

Qouted from Step ENBlocal ini guide

"This parameter sets the size of a buffer used for swapping geometry and textures between VRAM and system memory. The buffer will be set in VRAM and this portion of VRAM will not be used for ENBoost's dynamic memory allocation; however, it will also be duplicated in the system memory used by TESV.exe as well. This means that increasing this parameter's value will result in equal increases in both VRAM and system RAM usage. The values here are measured in megabytes. For video cards with 1GB or more VRAM, start with 128 as a baseline. If stuttering persists, increase the value in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, etc ) until the stuttering has ceased or is as minimal as possible with the lowest possible value. The maximum value that can be used is 1024, but be aware that whatever value is used is how much VRAM will be reserved for the swap space. This is the reason the lowest value possible without experiencing issues is recommended. Because of this parameter being system dependent, users will need to test different values to find the one which works best for their specific setup.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=(64, 128, 256, 384, 512, 640, 768, 896, 1024)"

@Shizof

In ENBLocal.ini set it too AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

if you want to see if the patch is working use this tool http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm run the DX9.exe

it should give you the output.

If you read above then you would of known that I have already confirmed it.6

It already is true. It shows 27349MB texture memory. Vramtest also shows similar. As I said, fix seems to be working, because I can launch the game with setting VideoMemorySizeMb=10240 or more. But it stutters when I start using above 4GB vram. I disabled some of the hq texture packs to drop the vram usage just below 4k and when it passes 4gb vram usage that's when it starts stuttering.

Can anyone with high vram confirm that it's working flawlessly for them?

I've been working for a week now to fix the stutters and I found out that whenever I exceed the 4GB vram the game starts to stutter really bad.

I'm on build 16232, so vram fix is installed and MO works ok. Tried everything but no setting in enb could fix the stuttering issues.

It's like the fix is fake for me, it still uses only 4GB vram and if the game/enb wants to use more, it uses actual memory or pagefile?

Any help is appreciated. I'm starting to go a little crazy.

Try increasing ReservedMemorySizeMB

Qouted from Step ENBlocal ini guide

"This parameter sets the size of a buffer used for swapping geometry and textures between VRAM and system memory. The buffer will be set in VRAM and this portion of VRAM will not be used for ENBoost's dynamic memory allocation; however, it will also be duplicated in the system memory used by TESV.exe as well. This means that increasing this parameter's value will result in equal increases in both VRAM and system RAM usage. The values here are measured in megabytes. For video cards with 1GB or more VRAM, start with 128 as a baseline. If stuttering persists, increase the value in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, etc ) until the stuttering has ceased or is as minimal as possible with the lowest possible value. The maximum value that can be used is 1024, but be aware that whatever value is used is how much VRAM will be reserved for the swap space. This is the reason the lowest value possible without experiencing issues is recommended. Because of this parameter being system dependent, users will need to test different values to find the one which works best for their specific setup.

ReservedMemorySizeMb=(64, 128, 256, 384, 512, 640, 768, 896, 1024)"

I tried all of those values. None of it helped.

This is the stutter screenshot of gpu-z (White lines in gpu load are stutters)

daz.png

I don't know where your stutters are coming from but I don't have them and having more available memory I dont see how that would cause stutters.

Try it on vanilla see if you're still stuttering.

In my last update with Nvidia I noticed a new a patch stating they had fixed the stutter bug not just with Skyrim but all of Bethesda's games .

What is the driver version?

I'm using 382.33.  I used to have a significant stuttering problem too.  Then again, if you are script and string heavy like me, you are going to have issues while 32bit plows through all the micros. 

• 1 month later...

It was released yea and I can confirm mod organizer is working

Windows 10 Insider Preview 16288.1 (rs3_release)

That is the update that seemed to fix it for me.

I'm signed up for that ring, though when installing this particular update, my system stops mid-update and restores to the current version, which doesn't include these fixes.  Apparently, this is happening on a lot of Win10 Pro systems - no word on a solution yet.  What a tease...

Some people are getting this on Windows Update screen:

"An update is being prepared for your device, but it's not quite ready yet. We'll keep trying or you can try again now" (with error 0x80240034)

I'm past that point, the update downloads and pre-installs just fine.  My issue is on the restart sequence when the patch is really applied.  The shut down patch works great, goes straight to 100% as it should.  On reboot, a blue installer screen comes up.  For me it hangs at 4% for a few min, dumps out to a "restoring previous version" screen and reboots to desktop.

I'm sure some information will come out in the next few days on solutions.  A previous patch, I think it was 16226 required disabling .Net Framework 3.5, prior to installing, due to the issue.  That hasn't worked on this one though.

Some people are getting this on Windows Update screen:

"An update is being prepared for your device, but it's not quite ready yet. We'll keep trying or you can try again now" (with error 0x80240034)

I'm past that point, the update downloads and pre-installs just fine.  My issue is on the restart sequence when the patch is really applied.  The shut down patch works great, goes straight to 100% as it should.  On reboot, a blue installer screen comes up.  For me it hangs at 4% for a few min, dumps out to a "restoring previous version" screen and reboots to desktop.

I'm sure some information will come out in the next few days on solutions.  A previous patch, I think it was 16226 required disabling .Net Framework 3.5, prior to installing, due to the issue.  That hasn't worked on this one though.

There have been a lot of problems with their patcher on the fast and slow track. If you go to the bugs, and stuff posts you'll see a ton of stuff on hung updates. 

It was a hung update that corrupted my windows update and ultimately lead to my needing to do a from disk reinstall of windows yesterday. i am currently back to running Windows 7. So be careful till they fix that.

Issue with 4GB max VRAM limit for DX9 games was one on the reasons I did not wanted to upgrade to W10 and also W8.1, one month more and it will be finally officialy fixed! (after 2+ years for W10) sadly W8.1 users will likely still have this problem.. But the most popular systems currently (w7 and w10) will have it fixed which is good (w7 actually never had this problem but you got what I had in mind), can't wait to load 4k mods for Oldrim with ENBoost patch and also for FNV and some other games :D

Archived