Do You Have a Problem With Authority?

KoolHndLuke

In many cases, yes.

Most people in positions of power such as politicians, police, judges and hall monitors, etc. acquired those jobs because they wanted to regulate others as to what they can or cannot do or even say. More often than not this is based purely on monetary gain, absurd or outdated laws, religious or societal beliefs that have no logical basis and even their personal dislikes rather than what's good for all. No one will truly be free until everyone one of us (especially those in positions of authority!) are 100% responsible. And it's looking doubtful that will ever happen, so in the interim we need these positions filled (maybe "Johnny the Hall Monitor" not so much).

In many other cases, no.

As an example: I accept that Professor Tolkien was an authority on the English language and so I'm not about to dispute him in that regard. :P

So follow the rules that are logical, just and healthy (it's in our own best interest) and when you see one of those rare persons who deserves their position of authority give them the respect they've earned. As far as the rest...  fart in their general direction any chance you get.

bjornk and KoolHndLuke, You are right, elections are not enough, they are part of democracy, but they are not democracy on their own.

Nevertheless, authority is necessary, for the human is a wolf for the human. It is therefore absolutely necessary that authority should be just. Justice without strength is weak, strength without justice is tyranny.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheating in multiplayer games makes you a prick. Just saying.

Yeah. I agree. I wont cheat in things like that. When I win - I feel better if I earned it. But dealing with double standards and silly or stupid laws and such is more what this is about. Governments will shit all over citizens most of the time if its in their interest to do so. I stopped trusting their motives quite a few years ago. ;)

Guest bearodactyl

Cheating in multiplayer games makes you a prick. Just saying.

Yeah. I agree. I wont cheat in things like that. When I win - I feel better if I earned it. But dealing with double standards and silly or stupid laws and such is more what this is about. Governments will shit all over citizens most of the time if its in their interest to do so. I stopped trusting their motives quite a few years ago. ;)
Yeah, I live in a country where the lovely government is extremely corrupt. Much so that it shows on buildings and citizens. Any person who dares point fingers and make valid question like "Where did you get a vineyard and a super yacht, dear senator?" gets a couple of G-men and red&blues sent to his door, who then hand him a phone with someone big on the line threatening them. It's like something you expect to see in a book or a movie, not in real life.

I don't have a problem with authority but I don't like steep hierarchies.

People have to give me reasons if they want me to do things. And while "Because I'm your boss and I told you so" might work too it also greatly increases the likelyhood that I'll search for another employer soon.

Other than that I have the very naive basic attitude to respect people in their field of work (until proven wrong). I respect journalists for example and without good reason I won't join any mob complaining about fake news or such bullshit.

Hell, I even respect politicians and believe that the majority of them tries to help in creating a beneficial legal framework for the country and its inhabitants. Doesn't mean that they are succeeding in doing so of course, because independent thought is a very rare and easily scared animal and there are all kinds of convenient ideologies preventing people from thinking on their own.

If possible I always go for a win-win, but confronted by angry (armed) authority I prefer to bend like a reed in the wind not to get broken like an oak in the storm. I simply don't fight a battle I cannot win or carelessly call for such a one. Cha!

Moreover, I don't take shiny figures of public life as authorities, rather as a necessary media evil in modern society, the grand political entertainment, the wonderful Muppet Show for adults that is not necessarily to be taken seriously. Think for thyself, how true.

If you having a problem with authority, may I ask: Are you good at getting away with it?

If the answer is No, then stop doing that, if it's Yes, then you are fine, if you are so good at it, you can even make a career out of it just like me.

If you having a problem with authority, may I ask: Are you good at getting away with it?

If the answer is No, then stop doing that, if it's Yes, then you are fine, if you are so good at it, you can even make a career out of it just like me.

Yes. I am good at getting away with stuff. Feigning ignorance is one way. Appealing to an individuals likes to gain favor is another. I am not altogether proud that I know these things or to be deceitful, but it has helped me survive and thrive in a few instances. I just learned how to read people and deflect attention when needed. Smoke and mirrors friend. It is when I use an accomplice that things tend to go sideways. They usually don't get it. ;)

Yes. I am good at getting away with stuff. Feigning ignorance is one way. Appealing to an individuals likes to gain favor is another. I am not altogether proud that I know these things or to be deceitful, but it has helped me survive and thrive in a few instances. I just learned how to read people and deflect attention when needed. Smoke and mirrors friend. It is when I use an accomplice that things tend to go sideways. They usually don't get it. wink.png

That's right, and don't feel too bad about it, I make living out of these skills, I am not feeling too bad either.

Yes. I am good at getting away with stuff. Feigning ignorance is one way. Appealing to an individuals likes to gain favor is another. I am not altogether proud that I know these things or to be deceitful, but it has helped me survive and thrive in a few instances. I just learned how to read people and deflect attention when needed. Smoke and mirrors friend. It is when I use an accomplice that things tend to go sideways. They usually don't get it. wink.png

That's right, and don't feel too bad about it, I make living out of these skills, I am not feeling too bad either.

Lucifer? :D

• 2 weeks later...

If possible I always go for a win-win, but confronted by angry (armed) authority I prefer to bend like a reed in the wind not to get broken like an oak in the storm. I simply don't fight a battle I cannot win or carelessly call for such a one. Cha!

Moreover, I don't take shiny figures of public life as authorities, rather as a necessary media evil in modern society, the grand political entertainment, the wonderful Muppet Show for adults that is not necessarily to be taken seriously. Think for thyself, how true.

You are an EVIL person,  if you're going to say things like 'Muppet Show for adults', you need to give some warning... Do you know how painful it is to laugh with a mouthful of Coka Cola spurting through your nose...

Other than that one small caveat I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

• 5 weeks later...

Authority is the easiest the manipulate and control. No, I don't have a problem with authority, I think it has a problem with me. All my life already, really. I just try to skirt by the system and fuck it while and where it's not watching. Of course, it fucks me back all the while.

• 4 weeks later...

I always have a problem with authority figures, particularly those from the government. From where I live, attaining some sense of authority could bloat one's ego dangerously. From our dear President (who has a knack to cuss on whoever pissed him off for the day) to bag-inspecting security guards common in mall entrances, many authority figures here are arrogant and annoying. They throw their weight around regardless whether they are actually right or wrong. Their decisions depend on what is beneficial or convenient for them to do, but they are afraid of higher authorities. When you call them out, they would go "Respect My Authoritah" Cartman at you. But when someone they see as a more powerful authority figure calls them out, they pathetically bend to their knees and cry out not to take them out of their jobs/they are human and so prone to mistakes/etc. 
From childhood, everyone in my country is taught that it is taboo to call out or even constructively criticise an authority figure. If you have abusive, nasty parents, you can't do much about them even when they are literally eating away your bank account or sell you to the dark web. 

I oppose authority when it is unjust in one way or another, from the pettiest, most trivial abuses at the lowest level, to the arrogant Tyrants at the highest.

I oppose corruption, incompetence and wastefulness in authorities. I oppose authorities that are intrusive, invasive or excessively bureaucratic.

However, if and when I need to oppose an injustice, I will do so properly. I will attend demonstrations, sign petitions/referendums. Or if I really don't like what the authorities are doing, I will vote to have them put out to pasture and put in new ones. I won't do things like throwing rocks at the police or through windows to loot microwaves, nor will I set things on fire. This doesn't hurt the authorities or hold them to account, it just hurts some poor bastard who isn't even on their side.

In conclusion, I only oppose authority when iit is unjust. Otherwise I don't bother.

I'll only accept the authority of a perfect God or a God-like Artificial Intelligence. Neither which exist at this time.

I cooperate with human authority daily because there is no hill worth dying on. We are all living our day to day lives under duress.

All horribleness in this world derives from the frantic scrabble for legitimacy/authority which no human is capable of wielding in a just manner.

Archived