How do I make a custom race use a custom body (for that race only)?

guidebo

Hello,

So, I found a custom race to my liking (one I've been searching for a long time) and I'm very happy with it, except for the body.  The race doesn't come with it's own body meshes and body textures, so it uses the CBBE body and it's textures that I made for replacing the vanilla females.  Which also means there's a texture mismatch between the head and the body (the race's head texture is Fair Skin Complexion and the CBBE body texture is SG Female Textures Renewal).  Actually, this custom race mod is just a head mesh and head textures.

What I would like to know is how to make this race use it's own body meshes and textures (I already have different body meshes and textures that I created for other custom races).  I know I could make custom meshes and textures and add them to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes.  That probably means I also have to edit the esp so that it loads/assigns those body and textures to that race.

Basicly, my question is: how do I edit a custom race's esp so it uses its own body meshes and textures?  Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not a modder, but I'm also no noob, I've been playing with mods since 2012 so I know the basics.  I've also used TES5Edit, NifSkope, the Creation Kit and other tools in the past (always for small adjustments).

Hello,

So, I found a custom race to my liking (one I've been searching for a long time) and I'm very happy with it, except for the body. The race doesn't come with it's own body meshes and body textures, so it uses the CBBE body and it's textures that I made for replacing the vanilla females. Which also means there's a texture mismatch between the head and the body (the race's head texture is Fair Skin Complexion and the CBBE body texture is SG Female Textures Renewal). Actually, this custom race mod is just a head mesh and head textures.

What I would like to know is how to make this race use it's own body meshes and textures (I already have different body meshes and textures that I created for other custom races). I know I could make custom meshes and textures and add them to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes. That probably means I also have to edit the esp so that it loads/assigns those body and textures to that race.

Basicly, my question is: how do I edit a custom race's esp so it uses its own body meshes and textures? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not a modder, but I'm also no noob, I've been playing with mods since 2012 so I know the basics. I've also used TES5Edit, NifSkope, the Creation Kit and other tools in the past (always for small adjustments).

Just started on that a month ago and this helped me to understand and get my custom race working:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_a_custom_race_for_Skyrim

So basically it´s adding/changing to the armor and skin form lists to get the race use desired meshes and textures.

Hello,

So, I found a custom race to my liking (one I've been searching for a long time) and I'm very happy with it, except for the body. The race doesn't come with it's own body meshes and body textures, so it uses the CBBE body and it's textures that I made for replacing the vanilla females. Which also means there's a texture mismatch between the head and the body (the race's head texture is Fair Skin Complexion and the CBBE body texture is SG Female Textures Renewal). Actually, this custom race mod is just a head mesh and head textures.

What I would like to know is how to make this race use it's own body meshes and textures (I already have different body meshes and textures that I created for other custom races). I know I could make custom meshes and textures and add them to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes. That probably means I also have to edit the esp so that it loads/assigns those body and textures to that race.

Basicly, my question is: how do I edit a custom race's esp so it uses its own body meshes and textures? Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not a modder, but I'm also no noob, I've been playing with mods since 2012 so I know the basics. I've also used TES5Edit, NifSkope, the Creation Kit and other tools in the past (always for small adjustments).

Just started on that a month ago and this helped me to understand and get my custom race working:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_a_custom_race_for_Skyrim

So basically it´s adding/changing to the armor and skin form lists to get the race use desired meshes and textures.

Thanks for the quick response.

I've been through that wiki before (and almost gave me a headache, lol), but your last sentence made it a bit more clear as to what I have to edit.  I would prefer to do this (editing the esp) with TES5Edit, as I'm a bit more familiar with it, rather than with the Creation Kit.  If you, or someone else, could explain it to me step by step it would be much apreciated.

Never used Tesedit but I can give basic steps on how to change the body assigned in CK. It's luckily one of the simpler things. I find getting headparts like hair and eye colours etc enabled on a custom race more annoying at least. Formlists confuse me.

Have you ever added a custom armor with the creation kit? It's basically like that. Except the textures don't come automatically with the mesh. Easiest way to do it is still to duplicate existing ones.  I dunno specifically what you have a grasp of or not so I'm just gonna write a base step by step thing.

Step 1 Textures:

Find skinbodyfemale_1 and SkinhandFemale_1 - duplicate those and change to what you want to use.

Step 2 Armor Addon:

Find NakedTorso, NakedHands and NakedFeet - duplicate and edit the female specific part. Swap mesh and swap to the textures you added before. Feet using the body one.

Step 3 Armor:

Find SkinNaked - Duplicate and you'll see it's basically an armorset compiled out of the bits you added before. Just swap the original with the new ones.

Step.. during all that
Change the race dropdown in those to the race you're using. I had random weird issues with this and found it somehow worked out best for me if everything was set to 'defaultrace'. But I wonder if that's because I messed up at some point.

Final step
Find the race's ID, open it's window, find the Body Data tab and swap the 'skin' dropdown to the naked armor set you made. That should be it.

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't your custom race already have it's own directories for meshes and textures or am I missing something here?

Hello,

-- snip--     I know I could make custom meshes and textures and add them to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes.  That probably means I also have to edit the esp so that it loads/assigns those body and textures to that race.

Basicly, my question is: how do I edit a custom race's esp so it uses its own body meshes and textures?  Or is there another solution?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm not a modder, but I'm also no noob, I've been playing with mods since 2012 so I know the basics.  I've also used TES5Edit, NifSkope, the Creation Kit and other tools in the past (always for small adjustments).

"...to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes"   That doesn't make any sense.  As you probably know, all the .esp does is provide the path of the nif and texture files.  So if one places, i.e. new meshes into the custom race's mesh directory for the custom race, it HAS to work. Again, am I missing something here?  You shouldn't need to mess with the esp at all.

Never used Tesedit but I can give basic steps on how to change the body assigned in CK. It's luckily one of the simpler things. I find getting headparts like hair and eye colours etc enabled on a custom race more annoying at least. Formlists confuse me.

Have you ever added a custom armor with the creation kit? It's basically like that. Except the textures don't come automatically with the mesh. Easiest way to do it is still to duplicate existing ones.  I dunno specifically what you have a grasp of or not so I'm just gonna write a base step by step thing.

Step 1 Textures:

Find skinbodyfemale_1 and SkinhandFemale_1 - duplicate those and change to what you want to use.

Step 2 Armor Addon:

Find NakedTorso, NakedHands and NakedFeet - duplicate and edit the female specific part. Swap mesh and swap to the textures you added before. Feet using the body one.

Step 3 Armor:

Find SkinNaked - Duplicate and you'll see it's basically an armorset compiled out of the bits you added before. Just swap the original with the new ones.

Step.. during all that

Change the race dropdown in those to the race you're using. I had random weird issues with this and found it somehow worked out best for me if everything was set to 'defaultrace'. But I wonder if that's because I messed up at some point.

Final step

Find the race's ID, open it's window, find the Body Data tab and swap the 'skin' dropdown to the naked armor set you made. That should be it.

Now that's what I call a usefull guide :)

That's what I finally did after I found a similar guide/walkthrough posted in another thread here on loverslab.  A few days ago I stumbled upon it and followed the explanation step by step, taking my time and double/triple-checking every step :D, which took me some time to complete.

Quite a stressful experience, I must say.  I think the CK is a quite buggy tool (even with the mandatory ini tweaks), because, believe it or not, it crashed on me right after the final step, just before i was able to save :-/  :blink:  :@  .  So I started all over again, but this time it took me less time because now I knew how to do it.

Anyway, I got it working now and my character has its own body and textures, just like I wanted it.  Thanks for your help anyway ;)

Wait, I'm confused. Doesn't your custom race already have it's own directories for meshes and textures or am I missing something here?

Hello,

-- snip--     I know I could make custom meshes and textures and add them to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes.  That probably means I also have to edit the esp so that it loads/assigns those body and textures to that race.

Thanks in advance.

"...to the folders of this custom race, but when I do that, nothing changes"   That doesn't make any sense.  As you probably know, all the .esp does is provide the path of the nif and texture files.  So if one places, i.e. new meshes into the custom race's mesh directory for the custom race, it HAS to work. Again, am I missing something here?  You shouldn't need to mess with the esp at all.

It does make sense and yes, you're missing something :D

Let me explain: this custom race does come with a mesh folder and in this folder there's a "body" folder, but it only contains head data (femalehead.nif, femalehead.tri, femaleheadchargen.tri, femaleraces.tri) and a skeleton_female.nif.  There are also folders for brows, eyes and mouth.  Then in the texture folder, there are only textures for these mesh files.

All of this is "recorded" in the esp, so even if you would add body meshes (body, hands and feet) in that mesh/body folder, since it's not referenced in the esp, it won't load (I know because I've checked the esp in TES5Edit: no reference to body nif's or body textures, only references to what came with this race).

So, I hope I was able to enlighten you and ease your mind with my explanation ;):P:)

PS: I also hope you don't feel offended with the way I answered, I really don't want to come across as obnoxious or condensending and it's totally not meant that way either :heart:;) .  Otherwise, my apologies.

Snip

Now that's what I call a usefull guide :)

That's what I finally did after I found a similar guide/walkthrough posted in another thread here on loverslab.  A few days ago I stumbled upon it and followed the explanation step by step, taking my time and double/triple-checking every step :D, which took me some time to complete.

Quite a stressful experience, I must say.  I think the CK is a quite buggy tool (even with the mandatory ini tweaks), because, believe it or not, it crashed on me right after the final step, just before i was able to save :-/  :blink:  :@  .  So I started all over again, but this time it took me less time because now I knew how to do it.

Anyway, I got it working now and my character has its own body and textures, just like I wanted it.  Thanks for your help anyway ;)

No worries. It'll be convenient for me to already have this written up for another time the same question turns up. 

And ye I compulsively save in creation kit because it crashes randomly quite often. :/

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

It does make sense and yes, you're missing something :D

Let me explain: this custom race does come with a mesh folder and in this folder there's a "body" folder, but it only contains head data (femalehead.nif, femalehead.tri, femaleheadchargen.tri, femaleraces.tri) and a skeleton_female.nif.  There are also folders for brows, eyes and mouth.  Then in the texture folder, there are only textures for these mesh files.

All of this is "recorded" in the esp, so even if you would add body meshes (body, hands and feet) in that mesh/body folder, since it's not referenced in the esp, it won't load (I know because I've checked the esp in TES5Edit: no reference to body nif's or body textures, only references to what came with this race).

So, I hope I was able to enlighten you and ease your mind with my explanation ;):P:)

PS: I also hope you don't feel offended with the way I answered, I really don't want to come across as obnoxious or condensending and it's totally not meant that way either :heart:;) .  Otherwise, my apologies.

Ah, gotcha. Offended? Nah...   Sounds like the custom race only uses a custom head, etc.  So, what "sheltrs" said above is what you need to do. If yer not sure as to how to go about that, I can walk you though it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me solve my problem, I got it working now the way I wanted it.

In addition, I'll attach a snip from the post on the other LL thread where I got my information (basicly the same steps as in this thread, just a bit more elaborate).  Hopefully this will help other people with the same issue.

Cheers

post-152508-0-16037100-1496333410_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped me solve my problem, I got it working now the way I wanted it.

In addition, I'll attach a snip from the post on the other LL thread where I got my information (basicly the same steps as in this thread, just a bit more elaborate).  Hopefully this will help other people with the same issue.

Cheers

Cool!

• 4 months later...

Archived