After having tested several combat mods I have a list of mods I've been using for quite awhile now that I'm pretty happy with as far as adding variety and difficulty to the game and I'm wondering if other people have found any good ones I've missed.  I've had zero crashes using these together so far (in the order listed below):

High Level Enemies

Combat Evolved

High Level Enemies - Dawnguard

High Level Enemies - Dragonborn

SOTFollowMeAndSwimToo

Mighty Dragons SE Medium Cooked

DiverseDragonsCollectionSE

OBIS SE

Immersive Wenches

Deadly Wenches

Hateful Wenches

Judgement Wenches

Forgotten Wenches

OBIS SE - Noticeboard

FastTravelSOT

Enhanced Diverse Mighty Dragons patch (I have this one merged into my gameplay patch)

The Immersive Wenches is just eye candy, but the expansions for it are quite difficult.  I've also recently added Animal Tweaks but haven't tested it yet.

Ironically the mod that I had been using that increased difficulty the most is one that isn't really even a combat mod.  Scarcity.  I stopped using it because it just made the game less fun, but it basically meant that I wasn't able to afford my first house til level 25 or so, wasn't able to ever buy any magic equipment til level 40ish, etc.  So yes fighting those much harder dragons, with zero resistance really sucked.