SLAL causing save corruption?

When I save a new game after registering SLAL animations as the only change, the save game becomes corrupted. Thing is, enabling individual packs does not cause this problem, only after a certain number of packs are selected, I've found it's usually around 240 animations.

I have tried loading a save file that works then loading the problem save file, it does not work. Savetool will not even load the problematic save file. Also this is a relatively new game it's only got 5hours into it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I'm using the following SLAL packs: Mitos, HCOS, Guffel, Arrok, MasterMike, K4, mike24, Anub, Leito, Komotor. If I'm not mistaken this should be far below the maximum number of animations, I have even installed the XXL version of FNIS. Is there any way to resolve this?

I have attached my test saves before and after all SLAL packs are enabled and registered, my load order, and past 4 papyrus logs.

EDIT: Removed files

When I save a new game after registering SLAL animations as the only change, the save game becomes corrupted. Thing is, enabling individual packs does not cause this problem, only after a certain number of packs are selected, I've found it's usually around 240 animations.

I have tried loading a save file that works then loading the problem save file, it does not work. Savetool will not even load the problematic save file. Also this is a relatively new game it's only got 5hours into it, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I'm using the following SLAL packs: Mitos, HCOS, Guffel, Arrok, MasterMike, K4, mike24, Anub, Leito, Komotor. If I'm not mistaken this should be far below the maximum number of animations, I have even installed the XXL version of FNIS. Is there any way to resolve this?

I have attached my test saves before and after all SLAL packs are enabled and registered, my load order, and past 4 papyrus logs.

PS: Apparently I'm not allowed to post save files so here's a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B55zN0BAOTvCWFc1ODhQTUlXekk?usp=sharing

Well you have 347 esp files and 25 esm files.  That's pretty far over the limit for a stable game.  You might want to use TES5Edit to #1 combine some of the armor mods to free up slots. #2 see which files might be conflicting with each other.  Also I would recommend that you use Loot and sort your load order.  For example Live another Life should be last in your load order.  These things will not help you with your current corrupted save file, but they will help you avoid it in the future.

It's not strictly caused by the specific number of ESPs you have, but it's related.

Every mod containing scripts has to write strings into the save file to keep track of its script state. These strings are stored in an array with a maximum capacity of 65,536 strings. If the total sum of your mods' scripts exceeds that number, your save will irreparably break. The more script-heavy mods you have installed, the easier it will be to hit the limit. In particular, each SexLab animation that gets registered into the framework, requires quite a few extra strings, so if you're adding a very large amount of animations via SLAL, it's quite possible you're going over the limit.

The solution to this requires modding Skyrim to store the script strings in a 32-bit array instead of a 16-bit one, allowing it to store a maximum of something like 4.2 billion strings. (good luck hitting THAT limit :P) Crash Fixes provides this, you just need to confirm that StringCount32 is set to =1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini, after installing. With this setting enabled, the mod will automatically change the save file format to 32-bit when it detects you're about to go over the 16-bit limit. However, it won't retroactively fix saves that were already bricked; you'll need to first load a save that was still working before installing the mod.

One last thing: saves created with a 32-bit array won't be editable by most older save editing tools. If you need to do things like clean your save, you'll need a tool that can work with the new format, such as Fallrim Tools.

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2017 at 1:58 PM, WraithSlayer said:

It's not strictly caused by the specific number of ESPs you have, but it's related.

Every mod containing scripts has to write strings into the save file to keep track of its script state. These strings are stored in an array with a maximum capacity of 65,536 strings. If the total sum of your mods' scripts exceeds that number, your save will irreparably break. The more script-heavy mods you have installed, the easier it will be to hit the limit. In particular, each SexLab animation that gets registered into the framework, requires quite a few extra strings, so if you're adding a very large amount of animations via SLAL, it's quite possible you're going over the limit.

The solution to this requires modding Skyrim to store the script strings in a 32-bit array instead of a 16-bit one, allowing it to store a maximum of something like 4.2 billion strings. (good luck hitting THAT limit :P) Crash Fixes provides this, you just need to confirm that StringCount32 is set to =1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini, after installing. With this setting enabled, the mod will automatically change the save file format to 32-bit when it detects you're about to go over the 16-bit limit. However, it won't retroactively fix saves that were already bricked; you'll need to first load a save that was still working before installing the mod.

One last thing: saves created with a 32-bit array won't be editable by most older save editing tools. If you need to do things like clean your save, you'll need a tool that can work with the new format, such as Fallrim Tools.

Awesome I had the very same issue and your guidance cleared it up! Gave your comment the thumbs up so people can see this is the way to do it!

Archived