Transparent completely... yes. SEMI-transparent, though?????

So, I searching all over to find what I want, nothing so far.

I found this here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20257/?

Okay, got it... if I want to make the cloth transparent or remove completely a part from a cloth and make it sexier (which I did it, I tested, it's fine)...

But, I want to make some clothes (or armor parts) SEMI transparent (like "Recorder's" pirate shirt).
How to do it?

I even tried (what I know from Photoshop) and made the "Alpha channel" grey (not black) - and I though it would worked like that. But even so, even grey (and not black), the Alpha-Channel handled the "grey" areas as full transparent and I had RECORDER with the half shirt visible and the other half invisible... 

Any help?

I personally did something different to make an item transparent .

What I did was using paint.net to make my layer transparent (depending what level of transparency you want just increase the transparency level) and save that transparent layer directly as a .dds since paint.net supports that file type, then add the NiAlphaproperty to the NiTriShape and make sure it's checked on the BS properties from the NiTriShape.

And...well that's about it.

It's really that easy.

(sorry if that's not exactly what you were looking for, I tried to look for that "Recorders" pirate shirt as reference but only found a follower by that name)

You can try my trick with NifSkope open the mesh file you want to change with nifskope, select the part of the clothes you want to change, on the block list press + to see more option then choose BSlightingShaderProperty now select the alpha in block detail, they are usually 1 if you want semi-transparent try 0.5 or you want it disappear try 0, both low weight and max weight nif need to be changed to have effect.

The down side is if the mesh doesnt have separated parts in nifskope we cant change it. I use this trick a lot to remove or semi-transparent panties. Hope it helps 

You can also try using gimp2 which is also free. Load the texture file up into gimp2 select the lasso tool and lasso the area you want to make transparent the lasso tool for gimp2 is nice as it's like connect the dot and you can move and adjust the dots to where you want them at then when you get to the first dot click it to connect them. 

Select the eraser and turn 0pacity to anything but 100% at 100% it'll erase the whole thing so just adjust it down to something like 10 and test it by clicking file - overwrite .dds file load the outfit nif up into nifskope and right click the part that the texture goes to and go to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty and the part that you erased should now be transparent.

Look at it and if it's what you wanted close gimp2 if it isn't go back to gimp2 and undo what you did and try a different setting repeat till you get it to where you want it at and then save as to overwrite the nif and then load the other nif up and add a NiAlphaProperty to that piece as well if you don't do it to both the _0 and _1 nif nothing will change in game.

Thxs, mates.

I'll try all and... "I'll be back"! (Sound like Arnie, is it?)

You can try my trick with NifSkope open the mesh file you want to change with nifskope, select the part of the clothes you want to change, on the block list press + to see more option then choose BSlightingShaderProperty now select the alpha in block detail, they are usually 1 if you want semi-transparent try 0.5 or you want it disappear try 0, both low weight and max weight nif need to be changed to have effect.

The down side is if the mesh doesnt have separated parts in nifskope we cant change it. I use this trick a lot to remove or semi-transparent panties. Hope it helps 

There are THREE meshes, "pirateshirt_0.nif, pirateshirt_1.nif, pirateshirt_gnd.nif"...

...Which one???

The tutorail doc is very old, comparing the very new NifScope version I have.

Completely different menu, drop downs, etc. I can't follow the tutorial doc...

You can also try using gimp2 which is also free. Load the texture file up into gimp2 select the lasso tool and lasso the area you want to make transparent the lasso tool for gimp2 is nice as it's like connect the dot and you can move and adjust the dots to where you want them at then when you get to the first dot click it to connect them. 

Select the eraser and turn 0pacity to anything but 100% at 100% it'll erase the whole thing so just adjust it down to something like 10 and test it by clicking file - overwrite .dds file load the outfit nif up into nifskope and right click the part that the texture goes to and go to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty and the part that you erased should now be transparent.

Look at it and if it's what you wanted close gimp2 if it isn't go back to gimp2 and undo what you did and try a different setting repeat till you get it to where you want it at and then save as to overwrite the nif and then load the other nif up and add a NiAlphaProperty to that piece as well if you don't do it to both the _0 and _1 nif nothing will change in game.

The Gimp2 doesn't support the .dds!!!!!!!!!

I tried to opened and is not recognizing the file.

I need a tutorial....

I tried to use that program, but can't make it work....

I made that "transparency" via the eraser tool... but I tried to save it... couldn't ... I tried to exported... I did (without knowing what settings to apply) and the dds seems corrupted now.

I have no clue what to do.

I'm VERY VERY "newbie" to these stuff, I need detailed tutorial to use gimp2, but MOST important to use NifScope (I'm "lost" in there)...

Install the mod or place the texture folder in your skyrim texture folder. Texture paths in the nif have to be the same as the texture folder path in your skyrim data folder the mesh will also have white mesh if the texture folder is missing. Another one that causes white mesh is if the textures are in a BSA as those will not render in nifskope.

Open gimp2 drag and drop texture file onto it's screen so that it loads the .DDS file lasso the area that you want to use the eraser on to make it transparent adjust 0pacity to something like 10 once you erase it some go to file - overwrite .DDS file. Load nif up and follow my above post to add NiAlphaProperty and see if it's how you want it if it is close gimp2 if it isn't go back to gimp2 and undo the eraser and try again till you get what you want.

Yes, I understand the process... although you're talking about an earlier version of NifScope (can't find most of the stuff, the app has total different UI) and can't make that happen (in NifScope). I made it in Gimp2, that wasn't a problem...

Is it because I copied the files on the DESKTOP and I'm not working on the default (in Skyrim folder) file????

Mesh files will not render unless the texture folder is in the skyrim directory. You might also have to set up the game path in nifskope for it to auto do it. Start nifskope and load a nif that is in your skyrim folder and then click render - settings - add folder path when you get to the data folder stop there and it should render there should also be a auto detect game folder path there as well to use.

I'm using 1.1.3 version of nifskope the newest version was first build for fallout 4 and I haven't used it for awhile but some things are different between them. I haven't really wasted any time playing with it since I like the skyrim version  better. 

Thxs, mates.

I'll try all and... "I'll be back"! (Sound like Arnie, is it?)

There are THREE meshes, "pirateshirt_0.nif, pirateshirt_1.nif, pirateshirt_gnd.nif"...

...Which one???

The pirateshirt_0.nif is the low weight and pirateshirt_1.nif is max weight you dont need to change pirateshirt_gnd.nif 

But like i said my trick only works with the nif file has the part you want to change has it own Nitrishape likes panties in this picture

post-1002166-0-64897700-1495391447_thumb.jpg

my trick doesnt work if the panties doesnt have it own NItrishape likes in this pic

post-1002166-0-42759900-1495391584_thumb.jpg

Here is some picture where to find alpha 

post-1002166-0-64897700-1495391447_thumb.jpgpost-1002166-0-49764600-1495391688_thumb.jpg

Any possibility to send you the files and do it for me AND UNDERSTAND MYSELF what you did, to do it in other chance?

Also... although I made superb overhaul to everything (textures), still that damn HELGEN is not good enough for my taste.
Do we know what the hell textures HELGEN is using???? "Imperial Forts"? "Dungeons"? What?

Any possibility to send you the files and do it for me AND UNDERSTAND MYSELF what you did, to do it in other chance?

Also... although I made superb overhaul to everything (textures), still that damn HELGEN is not good enough for my taste.

Do we know what the hell textures HELGEN is using???? "Imperial Forts"? "Dungeons"? What?

Is this the clothes you are talking about? if you want to change to top part "touka" just change its alpha to 0.5 to have semi transparent and 0 to have it disappear like in the picture.

post-1002166-0-11306700-1495400618_thumb.jpgpost-1002166-0-14028100-1495400629_thumb.jpg

Yeah! That's the one! But I don't want to touch (at all) the lower part of the sleeve (around the hand); all the rest "green" I want!

The problem is, that this shirt is enclosed to a master file of "Recorder". Do I need to extract all (meshes and textures) to edit it?

This trick only work when the part that you want to change have its own Nitrishape, if you dont want to touch the lower part then you have to use other method and that I can not help you with sorry.

If you dont want to extract all then download the Recorder loose file on nexus.

I don't want to touch the last lower part, because is not SHIRT, is a leather part! So, the leather should be solid.

And the other method you saying???? Which is it?

Oh you mean the corset part? so then just use my method, the white part of the shirt as highlight in green will be affected not the corset or the leather one. Just change the alpha value and see it for yourself if you dont like change it back to 1. 

Not the corset! I know it's not "cloth".

THE SLEEVES of the shirt, their BOTTOM parts, are leather, not cloth!!!! Also, there are "stripes" around her arms and her biceps, ALSO leather ones!
So... we have a "pirate shirt" (cloth) - besides the corset, with quite some parts of leather (in the texture)!

So, except the corset, I need to "separate" these leather parts from the meshes, leave ONLY the cloth... and then make the cloth semi-transparent!

• 4 months later...

So, I managed to replace the body (real one, without "holes" ) into the nocturnal dress and I changed the mesh alpha to 0.7.... and I have this result:

https://imgur.com/a/VEwn9

It's fine and semi-transparent alright... but I want to keep the golden lines or the belt without transparency. That means... I need to edit the textures too? And if so, how with Photoshop (I don't like the other utility you most using, that "Gimp" )...

...Also, any idea what's the name of RECORDER's Pirate shirt???? I can't find it (mesh or texture)...

Archived