Asian Ninja Drama post that got locked before I could respond. Copyrights?

Sunsnub

Since the thread is locked I just had to make a new post here, because something really caught my eye in that thread.

I come from old school modding. I am talking Never Winter Nights (which is actually to this day unprecedented, because it's modable, and sharable as PWs in an online environment.)

But coming from that game, everything any player did with and to NWN (via the toolset or otherwise) was property of Bioware. Is it somehow different for Bethesda?

Bioware owns all things NWN1, no matter how amazing, or out of the box, or incredible, or totally not intended in the original game. Including things like NWNX plugins (if any of you all are familar.) Nobody can copyright anything they do with their underlying content (structure, framework, ect...) In fact no body can sell anything, or make money off it (there is a grey zone with hosting servers and accepting donations, which I did for over 5 years, but I never made a dime off it, but I do know hosts who did who got sued by the game developer.)

I highly doubt Bethesda products are any different. I would be shocked if anyone (other than Bethesda) could take out a patent, and file a lawsuit for violating said patent (using that public work and expanding on it), without first violating Bethesda's initial patent on the game.

I have said before, I have been invoked in modding for a long time.

Honestly, and sadly, unlike other art, where you buy the block of clay, or the paints and canvas, or the ballet shoes, or the actors makeup and wig, when you use this Digital "Clay" it's not your property from what I understand.

The beautiful thing is, modders do it anyways. Modders are a different breed, even from artists. Most modders recognize (as sad as it is) it's a fruitless endeavor. It's not like clay, the maker of clay never says they made and own the art you created. Digital art, hasn't evolved to that level yet.

Sadly.

Archived