Converting mods from Skyrim to SSE?

Kain82

What tools are good to use for conversion.  I have nif optimizer.  What mods are good for bsa and sound files?

bsa this is what I use good for both versions so makes it a bit easier http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/?

Sounds, from what I am aware you do not need to do anything with them for it to work with sse, though not too sure about that as most of the stuff I converted for my own use is armor/weapons plus a few spells.

That looks like a good program.  Once I have extracted the files can I repackage them into a SSE bsa?

That looks like a good program.  Once I have extracted the files can I repackage them into a SSE bsa?

Yes, but I have no idea how except it can be done somehow with the sse ck, I would assume the extractor can also make them but it is not something I tend to bother with as I am usually making custom merged armour mods for myself.

Yes, but I have no idea how except it can be done somehow with the sse ck, I would assume the extractor can also make them but it is not something I tend to bother with as I am usually making custom merged armour mods for myself.

Okay, thank you.  I will try that. :)

Again:

Basic conversions are not hard. Tedious maybe.

Unpack the mod to a temp folder.

unpack the bsa.       <=========================================

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

pack up the temp folder stuff into a rar.

install that package via NMM

open CK and the esp for the mod in question.

Save the esp.

login to bethnet and pretend to want to upload for pc.

pack up new bsa(s)  Watch what it wants to package.   <============================

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

copy esp and bsa back to temp folder.

Now, rar up the esp, bsa's and any loose files the CK didn't pack up.

done.

======================================================

The CK will make the bsa files you need, generally 2 of them. One for textures, one for other stuff, and if you have sounds, It will do that as well.

Once the .bsa are made, you should extract those into yet another temp folder, and compare to the original to make sure it got them all.

Usually it does, but sometimes it does not.  (basic type mods it will)

Again:

Basic conversions are not hard. Tedious maybe.

Unpack the mod to a temp folder.

unpack the bsa.       <=========================================

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

pack up the temp folder stuff into a rar.

install that package via NMM

open CK and the esp for the mod in question.

Save the esp.

login to bethnet and pretend to want to upload for pc.

pack up new bsa(s)  Watch what it wants to package.   <============================

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

copy esp and bsa back to temp folder.

Now, rar up the esp, bsa's and any loose files the CK didn't pack up.

done.

======================================================

The CK will make the bsa files you need, generally 2 of them. One for textures, one for other stuff, and if you have sounds, It will do that as well.

Once the .bsa are made, you should extract those into yet another temp folder, and compare to the original to make sure it got them all.

Usually it does, but sometimes it does not.  (basic type mods it will)

Okay, well thank you.  Sounds easy.  I just thought I needed extra tools.

• 4 weeks later...

where do i get skyrim special edition creation kit? is it the same creation kit download on steam for the oldrim?

I need help understanding converting old mods that are eligible to the SE too. i'd like to do this because I noticed SE runs a bit better or smoother when I started it up, at least on my end. but I guess that could also be due to the fact that I don't have many mods installed for it too.

where do i get skyrim special edition creation kit? is it the same creation kit download on steam for the oldrim?

I need help understanding converting old mods that are eligible to the SE too. i'd like to do this because I noticed SE runs a bit better or smoother when I started it up, at least on my end. but I guess that could also be due to the fact that I don't have many mods installed for it too.

You have to download the Bethesda launcher from Bethesda.net.  Once downloaded you can download the SSE creation kit.  As for conversions, I only know how to convert armors and weapons.  As for stability I have played 30 hours with 150 mods installed and have not had a single crash, stutter, lag, or game freezing.

You have to download the Bethesda launcher from Bethesda.net.  Once downloaded you can download the SSE creation kit.  As for conversions, I only know how to convert armors and weapons.  As for stability I have played 30 hours with 150 mods installed and have not had a single crash, stutter, lag, or game freezing.

thanks

that's basically all i'm looking for too along with npc appearance overhauls.

so for example, the ordinary women hasn't been converter to SSE so I would have to save it esp in the new CK right?

what are the steps to doing that? install it through NMM then open it in SE CK and then just save it? I heard you had to change something for it to take effect is that true? or press ctl+f4 to regenertate facegen data?

thanks

so for example, the ordinary women hasn't been converter to SSE so I would have to save it esp in the new CK right?

what are the steps to doing that? install it through NMM then open it in SE CK and then just save it? I heard you had to change something for it to take effect is that true? or press ctl+f4 to regenertate facegen data?

I use Ordinary Women right out of the box.  I didn't have to re-save the esp in the new ck.  I use it along with Improved Bards and Bijin's All in One, and it works fine.  If you are going to use the two npc overhauls I mentioned along with OW.  Make sure to manually load the mod you prefer below the other two.   For example I have, IB, OW, then Bijin loaded last.  You can do this with NMM.

thanks

I use Ordinary Women right out of the box.  I didn't have to re-save the esp in the new ck.  I use it along with Improved Bards and Bijin's All in One, and it works fine.  If you are going to use the two npc overhauls I mentioned along with OW.  Make sure to manually load the mod you prefer below the other two.   For example I have, IB, OW, then Bijin loaded last.  You can do this with NMM.

really? that's great. I had read over on nexus some time ago that installing an oldrim esp could corrupt your save game possibly. have you experienced anything like that?

ok if that's true then my next must have mod would be 'remodeled armor for uunp' and 'amazing world of bikini armor'(this one actually isn't a replacer), I don't think it uses any bsa's but do you use any armor replacers overhauls as well from oldrim? should I resave that in the new CK?

I noticed the directions up above for resving a esp but that's with a bsa, so it basically is the same with loose files without the bsa's part? just open it up in Ck and hit save that's it? after you've used nif optimizer on it?

thanks

really? that's great. I had read over on nexus some time ago that installing an oldrim esp could corrupt your save game possibly. have you experienced anything like that?

ok if that's true then my next must have mod would be 'remodeled armor for uunp' and 'amazing world of bikini armor'(this one actually isn't a replacer), I don't think it uses any bsa's but do you use any armor replacers overhauls as well from oldrim? should I resave that in the new CK?

I noticed the directions up above for resving a esp but that's with a bsa, so it basically is the same with loose files without the bsa's part? just open it up in Ck and hit save that's it? after you've used nif optimizer on it?

No.  I have not had any corrupted saves using the Ordinary Women mod as is.  As for the armors, I would run the meshes through the nif optimizer program from nexus.  This makes the meshes SSE compatible, also make sure the testures are dds format.  You can easily check this looking through the texture files.  Once you do that open the mod in the new ck and re-save it.  Now the armor mods work with SSE. :)

Yes, if the armor mods come with loose files just use the nif optimizer, and then re-save in the new ck.

As for mods I use from the old Skyrim.  I use the Ysgramor and Lich King armors which I converted.  I also use aMidiaborn's Book of Silence with the fix found on SSE nexus, for armor, weapons, and creature re-textures.

Edit:  Also body texture mods for original Skyrim seem to work as is.  But check SSE nexus first it has a few of the more popular ones.

thanks

No.  I have not had any corrupted saves using the Ordinary Women mod as is.  As for the armors, I would run the meshes through the nif optimizer program from nexus.  This makes the meshes SSE compatible, also make sure the testures are dds format.  You can easily check this looking through the texture files.  Once you do that open the mod in the new ck and re-save it.  Now the armor mods work with SSE. :)

Yes, if the armor mods come with loose files just use the nif optimizer, and then re-save in the new ck.

As for mods I use from the old Skyrim.  I use the Ysgramor and Lich King armors which I converted.  I also use aMidiaborn's Book of Silence with the fix found on SSE nexus, for armor, weapons, and creature re-textures.

Edit:  Also body texture mods for original Skyrim seem to work as is.  But check SSE nexus first it has a few of the more popular ones.

I use book of silence in oldrim. which fix do I need for SSE?

thanks

All the textures work, except for the Blades armor.  Here is the fix: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10013/?

thanks

All the textures work, except for the Blades armor.  Here is the fix: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10013/?

thanks for your help.

i'll be trying to convert jaysus swords(first bsa mod i'll try that also has an esm) sometime soon when I can get around to it so i'm sure i'll mess something up and be back with questions.

thanks

I have a question about saving an esp in sse ck

I was doing it with a armor mod and it gave me a bunch of warnings like 'x object uses invalid biped slot' or something like that.

then also another message when I saved it too was 'maleheadnif is missing facegen texture' or something like that I can't remember word for word.

did I do something wrong or will these cause problems? like the facegen error give me a darkface bug on that npc or something?

thanks

I have a question about saving an esp in sse ck

I was doing it with a armor mod and it gave me a bunch of warnings like 'x object uses invalid biped slot' or something like that.

then also another message when I saved it too was 'maleheadnif is missing facegen texture' or something like that I can't remember word for word.

did I do something wrong or will these cause problems? like the facegen error give me a darkface bug on that npc or something?

When I recently converted the "Sithis Armor" to SSE, the ck gave me a bunch of warnings when I tried to re-save.  I proceeded to re-save and the armor works well in my game.  No bugs, no glitches.  As for the facegen error.  I got a similar message when I first tried to convert the "Ordinary Women" mod.  I later fond out I did not have to convert it, that it works just fine as it is with SSE.  The original ck was rife with errors, I think the new ck has the same errors, but this time it displays the errors, so I usually ignore them.

Edit: If the faceen does have a problem.  Open the ck locate the npc in the "Actors" category and highlight the name, press ctrl-F4 and click okay, wait a while and it will say it generated the texture.  Now you can play.  This happened to me a lot with Serana, Valerica, and Harkon in old Skyrim.  Once I did what I suggested, it always worked.

If it doesn't require SKSE, check to see if it uses a BSA.  If it doesn't then there's probably nothing to convert.  Just load it up and try it and it'll probably work.  If there's a BSA you'll have to unpack it and either use the loose files or repack it into the SE format BSA.  About half of the mods I'm using in my SE game are unconverted oldrim mods and I only had to unpack the BSA myself for a few of them.

From that it sounds a lot like any Skyrim mod that currently doesnt require skse can be used in SSE then?

I'd suspect a converter tool floating around (now or in the near future) that repacks the BSA for SSE

Archived