Converting mods from Skyrim to SSE?

Kain82

I finally decided to try SSE due to it's reported stability over Skyrim.  But there are many non SKSE mods that I enjoy for Skyrim.  So how does one go about converting mods from Skyrim to SSE?  For example:  I wish to convert a weapon mod and a couple of armor mods, as well as a follower.  Can someone tell me how to do this?

If it doesn't require SKSE, check to see if it uses a BSA.  If it doesn't then there's probably nothing to convert.  Just load it up and try it and it'll probably work.  If there's a BSA you'll have to unpack it and either use the loose files or repack it into the SE format BSA.  About half of the mods I'm using in my SE game are unconverted oldrim mods and I only had to unpack the BSA myself for a few of them.

If it doesn't require SKSE, check to see if it uses a BSA.  If it doesn't then there's probably nothing to convert.  Just load it up and try it and it'll probably work.  If there's a BSA you'll have to unpack it and either use the loose files or repack it into the SE format BSA.  About half of the mods I'm using in my SE game are unconverted oldrim mods and I only had to unpack the BSA myself for a few of them.

Okay, a lot of the mods I want to use come with loose files already.  So I don't have to use the SSE CK to update the mod or re-save it as an SSE esp?  Thank you for the reply.

Okay, a lot of the mods I want to use come with loose files already.  So I don't have to use the SSE CK to update the mod or re-save it as an SSE esp?  Thank you for the reply.

You don't have too in order to get them to work. However, personally I would. The CK64 has quite a few tighter defined controls than the old CK as in it forces better practices. Also, and this is pure conjecture.. there maybe a slight performance advantage for saving the esp into the new Form 44 (SSE 64bit) format when loaded in the game. 

So opening and re-saving the esp would be good practice.

With models like armor and weapons, you can optimise these for SSE using Nif Optimizer from the Nexus. Again, highly recommend this.

You don't have too in order to get them to work. However, personally I would. The CK64 has quite a few tighter defined controls than the old CK as in it forces better practices. Also, and this is pure conjecture.. there maybe a slight performance advantage for saving the esp into the new Form 44 (SSE 64bit) format when loaded in the game. 

So opening and re-saving the esp would be good practice.

With models like armor and weapons, you can optimise these for SSE using Nif Optimizer from the Nexus. Again, highly recommend this.

Well thank you.  This was exactly the information I was looking for, thanks. :)

I finally decided to try SSE due to it's reported stability over Skyrim.  But there are many non SKSE mods that I enjoy for Skyrim.  So how does one go about converting mods from Skyrim to SSE?  For example:  I wish to convert a weapon mod and a couple of armor mods, as well as a follower.  Can someone tell me how to do this?

It's totally dependent on what the mod does, and how it's packaged.

It's completely case by case, and some conversions are as easy as opening them up in xEdit and deep copying all of the mod's records into a brand new .esp in SSE form ID and saving. Never touching the CK. 

Others require that, in addition to using SSE Nif Converter, and checking the .dds texture files for proper compression(rare case, but an example would be Mature Skin's specular .dds files).

Some mods relying on SKSE or MCM for the ability to change settings, could also be converted with the previous steps, while also removing all SKSE/MCM quest records, and tweaking the values on the mod's records themselves(instead of what MCM would've been doing).

Some require turning the .esm into an .esp first.

Some require unpacking the BSA before doing any of this, and then repacking it afterwards(if you want).

Then of course there are many that require resaving through the CK.

I wouldn't recommend keeping Form ID 43(classic Skyrim) plugins in your load order, and would always convert them to Form ID 44(SSE).

I had a try with the art of magic, everything works apart from the ghost version of the robes, though checking with nifskope and such shows the textures are in the correct place, they just do no load, has me scratching my head and having no idea why it does not, I converted it by changing the esm to an esp, loading it in the sse ck, the force saving it, running the sse nif converter on the entire mesh directory, then re zipping the file and loading into sse.

Still no idea why the ghost robes do not work though, and not really gone back to trying after spending about 6-7 hours trying to sort it out.

It's completely case by case, and some conversions are as easy as opening them up in xEdit and deep copying all of the mod's records into a brand new .esp in SSE form ID and saving. Never touching the CK. 

Others require that, in addition to using SSE Nif Converter, and checking the .dds texture files for proper compression(rare case, but an example would be Mature Skin's specular .dds files).

Some mods relying on SKSE or MCM for the ability to change settings, could also be converted with the previous steps, while also removing all SKSE/MCM quest records, and tweaking the values on the mod's records themselves(instead of what MCM would've been doing).

Some require unpacking the BSA before doing any of this, and then repacking it afterwards(if you want).

I wouldn't recommend keeping Form ID 43(classic Skyrim) plugins in your load order, and would always convert them to Form ID 44(SSE).

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I was wondering about textures.  For example: I use aMidianBorn's Book of Silence, and was wondering if I could use it in SSE.  But thanks to your help I can check it myself.:)

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I was wondering about textures.  For example: I use aMidianBorn's Book of Silence, and was wondering if I could use it in SSE.  But thanks to your help I can check it myself.smile.png

Use this: https://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_texture_viewer.html

WTV - Windows Texture Viewer

It allows you to view .dds files as thumbnails and double click and view immediately like a jpeg on your desktop. You can then see the compression methods on the files. You'll also know if the textures aren't the proper format for SSE if they appear as a pink box or a blank one, at which point you'll want to open them in GIMP or Photoshop and compress them in a usable format for SSE.

Just one other thing, if the mod use sound fx files.. SSE now fully supports XWM format, so ideally you should convert them from wave files to XWM for the performance advantage. You will also need to update the Sound Descriptors pointing to these files.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I was wondering about textures.  For example: I use aMidianBorn's Book of Silence, and was wondering if I could use it in SSE.  But thanks to your help I can check it myself.smile.png

Use this: https://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_texture_viewer.html

WTV - Windows Texture Viewer

It allows you to view .dds files as thumbnails and double click and view immediately like a jpeg on your desktop. You can then see the compression methods on the files. You'll also know if the textures aren't the proper format for SSE if they appear as a pink box or a blank one, at which point you'll want to open them in GIMP or Photoshop and compress them in a usable format for SSE.

Thanks for the reply, i will check that program out.  This is really helpful I was wondering about textures.:)

Just one other thing, if the mod use sound fx files.. SSE now fully supports XWM format, so ideally you should convert them from wave files to XWM for the performance advantage. You will also need to update the Sound Descriptors pointing to these files.

Thanks for this, this will be helpful when trying to convert follower mods like Acalypha or Minerva.  Since they use custom voices. :)

Basic conversions are not hard. Tedious maybe.

Unpack the mod to a temp folder.

unpack the bsa.

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

pack up the temp folder stuff into a rar.

install that package via NMM

open CK and the esp for the mod in question.

Save the esp.

login to bethnet and pretend to want to upload for pc.

pack up new bsa(s)  Watch what it wants to package.

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

copy esp and bsa back to temp folder.

Now, rar up the esp, bsa's and any loose files the CK didn't pack up.

done.

unpack the bsa.

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

Save the esp.

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

done.

Thanks, that doesn't sound hard at all.  I figured converting armor or weapon mods should be easier than converting follower mods, like Acalypha and Minerva since those followers use custom voices.

I have a question what about mods with scripts?  Do I have to do anything special to make them compatible with SSE?

I have a question what about mods with scripts?  Do I have to do anything special to make them compatible with SSE?

No, papyrus compiler itself didn't change.. so scripts/source files can remain the same. Only exception to that is simply missing SKSE references in scripts.. but that in itself won't generally stop the script from running.

unpack the bsa.

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

Save the esp.

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

done.

There's some step I must be missing in the process.  When I try to upload for pc nothing happens.  If I try the archive option in the CK, it just crashes.  Also not clear on what to do for a mod that uses an ESM instead of an ESP.  Whenever I've tried to save in the CK, the only option it ever gives me is to save as an ESP.  Also whenever I've loaded a mod in the CK there are always a ton of warning messages.  Do I just ignore all of those or do some of them actually need to be addressed?

No, papyrus compiler itself didn't change.. so scripts/source files can remain the same. Only exception to that is simply missing SKSE references in scripts.. but that in itself won't generally stop the script from running.

Okay, thank you.

Edit: Oh shit!  You're the creator of the "Flower Girls SE" mod!!!  I am honored to get your advice.  I have not installed SSE yet, but I will soon.  The Flower Girls mod looks great.  I just downloaded the update.  Thanks for all of your work.:)

unpack the bsa.

delete bsa.

run nif optimizer

Save the esp.

DO NOT UPLOAD

exit CK

done.

There's some step I must be missing in the process.  When I try to upload for pc nothing happens.  If I try the archive option in the CK, it just crashes.  Also not clear on what to do for a mod that uses an ESM instead of an ESP.  Whenever I've tried to save in the CK, the only option it ever gives me is to save as an ESP.  Also whenever I've loaded a mod in the CK there are always a ton of warning messages.  Do I just ignore all of those or do some of them actually need to be addressed?

I always ignore those messages when working on mods.  All of the mod programs Bethesda has released since Morrowind, have been riddled with bugs and error messages.  Just cancel or ignore when a message pops up.  Also about turning an esp into an esm or vice versa, I use Wrye Bash to do so.

if the mod is an esm, you need sseedit and turn off the esm flag.  You can leave the extension as .esm, CK will load it and after saving, it will put the esm flag back.

(if not, just rename to esp, open in CK, save, rename back to esm, and put the flag back in sseedit.)

So if it's an esm, (like Underground Bathhouse I ported),  do the sseedit first.

Open it as the esm

First item under it is File Header.

click on that, to the right you'll see the "Record Flags" with ESM under it.

double click  ESM and change it from 1 to zero.

After doing the CK part,

you click on the Record Flags, and there's a drop down list of options. tick the ESM box.

save.

In respect of the crash in CK with archive.. I suspect that could be down to how you are launching the CK. To make archives you need to launch the CK directly through the beth.net launcher rather than from a mod manager.

When dealing with ESM's you can only save as ESP this is true. Wyrebash is your friend here, the usual process is if you want to edit or change an ESM you can use Wyrebash to "Espify Self" first, then load it in the CK.. save it. Then use Wyrebash to "Esmify Self".

The warnings can be ignored safely, they mostly originate from the default esm's and dlcs. If however you are a mod developer and the warnings are made about your mod then they are worth investigating.

Edit: Oh shit!  You're the creator of the "Flower Girls SE" mod!!!  I am honored to get your advice.  I have not installed SSE yet, but I will soon.  The Flower Girls mod looks great.  I just downloaded the update.  Thanks for all of your work. :)

You are very welcome :-)

In respect of the crash in CK with archive.. I suspect that could be down to how you are launching the CK. To make archives you need to launch the CK directly through the beth.net launcher rather than from a mod manager.

When dealing with ESM's you can only save as ESP this is true. Wyrebash is your friend here, the usual process is if you want to edit or change an ESM you can use Wyrebash to "Espify Self" first, then load it in the CK.. save it. Then use Wyrebash to "Esmify Self".

The warnings can be ignored safely, they mostly originate from the default esm's and dlcs. If however you are a mod developer and the warnings are made about your mod then they are worth investigating.

Edit: Oh shit!  You're the creator of the "Flower Girls SE" mod!!!  I am honored to get your advice.  I have not installed SSE yet, but I will soon.  The Flower Girls mod looks great.  I just downloaded the update.  Thanks for all of your work. :)

You are very welcome :-)

Yes, I use Wrye Bash to change an esp to a esm and vice versa.:D

I have been trying like mad to convert an armor mod i downloaded a LONG time ago that works for me in oldrim but now i can't seems to get it to work for SSE. the armor i am trying to covnert is Aradia Kato for the UNP body. when i load the game and then go to a forge, i can see the bras np but as soon as i get to the next part for the outfit of the corset it crashes on me in the crafting list. i cant' get past that part at all. i am a little afraid of trying to console the items in and see if they work at all, cause i know the crafting of them will crash me at the corset. I use the NIF optimizer on the folder for the mod and still i get a crash at the corset. is there a way i can fix this without the CK cause the bethesda launcher is screwing me over when ever i try to load the CK and it just crashes on me. i have 32gigs of ram, 1TB of HD space, Win10 OS. so far the only way i have been able to convert armors was through the outfit studio with the NIF optimizer and have had no issues except with this mod.

What tools are good to use for conversion.  I have nif optimizer.  What mods are good for bsa and sound files?

bsa this is what I use good for both versions so makes it a bit easier http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/?

Sounds, from what I am aware you do not need to do anything with them for it to work with sse, though not too sure about that as most of the stuff I converted for my own use is armor/weapons plus a few spells.

Archived