Nexus Mod Manager good now?

I am currently running 3 different female NPC overhauls which change well over 150 NPCs. The fems all have the correct textures. The only issue I had was because LOOT put the esps in the wrong order. I moved them into the correct order in NMM's plug-in list and manually locked them in LOOT. (This was all done on a level 50 game).

NMM user here. Zero reason to reinstall Skyrim because I know what I'm doing.

that's not what he is talking about

mod a replace 50 textures

mod b replace 40 textures

mod c replace 80 textures

mod a is the best for some, mod b for some, mod c for some

moving around those mods order do nothing about that

that's funny, so many know what they are doing, yet the technical section isn't empty

It's empty of any posts by me.

Still don't understand the point about textures.

Still not seen anything which proves NMM is 'still shit'.

Still don't understand the point about textures.

you don't really try...

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/12021-anyone-has-skyrim-realistic-overhaul/?p=1785683

some do a little more than downloading, installing and playing with whatever it become in their load order

you are able to use 3 npc replacer?

wow

i am using... i have no idea how many npc mods i use

170522080056278152.jpg

170522080053410070.jpg

there's not enought guards heads, too late to take care of that (unless i kill most guards)

170522080042685031.jpg

170522080032793580.jpg

170522080048874902.jpg

'some do a little more than downloading, installing and playing with whatever it become in their load order'. And some don't. Neither case offers any proof that NMM is 'still shit'.

Some of us have better things to do than compare and contrast stonework textures from a computer game. And obviously I am some sort of retard for not being aware of your posts on the subjct on a totally different thread.

My example of the NPC overhauls was to demonstrate that I didn't need NMM or MO to achieve what I wanted.

From the Q&A on Vortex it sounds like the real data folder will not be kept in the vanilla state but it will have a function that allows you to remove all Vortex files with 1 click, restoring it to the vanilla state and without needing to reinstall anything in Vortex.  I prefer the method MO uses but Vortex sounds like it will include most of MO's functionality and he left the door open for an option to use the MO VFS system instead of the default as well at some point.

Short answer its still shit. Use MO.

Why is NMM 'still shit'? If you use MO how do you know what NMM is like these days? I use NMM and don't have any trouble with it or my game. I don't comment on MO as I have never used it.

The reason its bad is that it doesnt have a proper virtual folders system so when you install a mod it dumps the mod files in your data folder witch causes issues if you want to uninstall a mod. You also cant change in what order the mods are placed ( textures  etc ). Any ini tweaks you do you need to do in skyrims real ini files. You dont have to do that in mo. In mo you can create profiles with different ini files for each profile and different mods and loadorders for each profile. You can also see what savegames use what profiles. Its alot faster than nmm when it comes to unpacking and installing mods. It also has loot built into it.  

Lets say you install mods and mess up in nmm. Its not very likely you can uninstall that mod without encountering issues and possibly have to make a clean install of skyrim. With mo you can just make a new profile. You wont even have to download the mods again they will be unpackaged and ready to be installed. 

Total rubbish.

Never had issues uninstalling a mod and I do that a lot - mid-game included.

Yes you can change the order mods are loaded  - they can be set manually in LOOT.

So tweaks are done in Skryims ini files. Make a backup before tweaking.

You can create profiles in NMM.

Don't know about the savegame thing as I've never had reason to need it.

So it shaves a few seconds off install times. Colour me impressed.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

Never had to re-install Skyrim because of NMM. IIRC I have only ever had to re-install Skyrim once and that was way back at the beginning of me modding it and the fault was with my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

You want to use MO then go ahead, just don't criticise other peoples work without good reason.

When people talk about the order in which mods are loaded in regards to MO, we mean that even the FILES in the MOD in question are also going to overwrite (not permanently mind you)

Example,

We install 4K rustic clothes textures first using Nexus Mod Manager,

We then install Amiddian Born Armor Textures,

We then install Spice Gear, which contains some 512 armor and clothing textures as well

All that using Nexus Mod Manager,

We load up the game,

We get shocked that our textures look suck ass bad.

To fix that with NMM, we have to uninstall fully 2 mods and then reinstall them.

That will take time that can actually measure in real minutes!

But that's IF you actually understand that those modules overwrote textures!

With Mod Organizer, we get a visual icon immediately telling us that there are going to be texture overwrites due to these popular mods.

I can then ask MO exactly which files are in conflict and get a list immediately in detail of exactly which files are overwritten, the only time you get that with NMM is during the moment it asks you if you would like to overwrite the files!!!  THIS IS DIFFERRENT IN EXTREME!

Get your head out of the sand!

We then Move the folder structure of what is going to overwrite what, YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN NMM! 

This takes measurable seconds to achieve, even on a toaster oven it would still take seconds!

I get real tired of NMM users thinking the two mod managers are the same.

I have not said they are the same.

Again I have no idea what you are on about with the textures or how it relates to NMM/MO.

I am currently running 3 different female NPC overhauls which change well over 150 NPCs. The fems all have the correct textures. The only issue I had was because LOOT put the esps in the wrong order. I moved them into the correct order in NMM's plug-in list and manually locked them in LOOT. (This was all done on a level 50 game).

I'm also running Interesting NPCs and Hydra's Slave Girls which add around 250 NPCs each. All with the correct meshes and textures. On top of that I'm also playing around with Virtual NPC Transfer tool and have several NPCs from one mod looking like an NPC from another mod.

I also run SCO Summer overhaul and several of the 'Rustic' mods. Everything looks great.

All done without MO or even with much involvement from NMM.

MO User here, there's ZERO reason to NOT use MO,and ZERO reason to reinstall Skyrim due to mods error, it keeps your Skyrim\Data folder clean

Its not just Texture files, its also knowing exactly what mod overwrites what scripts of exactly which mod its overwriting and simply moving the order in which the folder itself overwrites.

To do that in MO takes seconds, to do the same operation on Nexus Mod Manager means you have to figure out on your own that said module is overwriting scripts.  How long that takes?

Then after said person figures that out on tech support here on LL that they should not have overwritten Sexlab with SOS due to SOS having an older script than say in Sexlab!

Then they have to uninstall Sexlab and likely also SOS, how long that take you?  Probably 5 to 10 minutes.

Then that person is likely to reinstall those said mods in the proper installation order, taking another 5 to 10 minutes of waiting for the process to complete.

On Mod Organizer, that process took 3 seconds, to figure out that there was a mod conflict without posting on Tech Support and waiting 5 hours to 5 days.  It also took all of 3 seconds to move the installation order.

Also no don't switch to MO!

That's fine, but don't come in here trying to convince me that they are the same or that NMM is better, as I've used both extensively.

I've built plenty of mods to and its a hell of a lot easier with a separated virtual installation system.

WHY?

Cause I don't have assets from 500 other authors cluttering up the same space as the mod that Im building.

Priceless.

Some of us have better things to do than compare and contrast stonework textures from a computer game.

you use sic?

i didn't download falmer 4k to have sic use 1k textures from \textures\00\actors\falmers

17052209125385895.jpg

i didn't download dwemer hd to have sic use an old replacer from \textures\00\actors

170522091307304298.jpg

and i didn't download amidian or whatever it is to have sic use whatever it is from \textures\00\armor\

17052208500629612.jpg

you weren't able to see that kind of problems?

Short answer its still shit. Use MO.

Why is NMM 'still shit'? If you use MO how do you know what NMM is like these days? I use NMM and don't have any trouble with it or my game. I don't comment on MO as I have never used it.

The reason its bad is that it doesnt have a proper virtual folders system so when you install a mod it dumps the mod files in your data folder witch causes issues if you want to uninstall a mod. You also cant change in what order the mods are placed ( textures  etc ). Any ini tweaks you do you need to do in skyrims real ini files. You dont have to do that in mo. In mo you can create profiles with different ini files for each profile and different mods and loadorders for each profile. You can also see what savegames use what profiles. Its alot faster than nmm when it comes to unpacking and installing mods. It also has loot built into it.  

Lets say you install mods and mess up in nmm. Its not very likely you can uninstall that mod without encountering issues and possibly have to make a clean install of skyrim. With mo you can just make a new profile. You wont even have to download the mods again they will be unpackaged and ready to be installed. 

Total rubbish.

Never had issues uninstalling a mod and I do that a lot - mid-game included.

Yes you can change the order mods are loaded  - they can be set manually in LOOT.

So tweaks are done in Skryims ini files. Make a backup before tweaking.

You can create profiles in NMM.

Don't know about the savegame thing as I've never had reason to need it.

So it shaves a few seconds off install times. Colour me impressed.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

Never had to re-install Skyrim because of NMM. IIRC I have only ever had to re-install Skyrim once and that was way back at the beginning of me modding it and the fault was with my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

You want to use MO then go ahead, just don't criticise other peoples work without good reason.

When people talk about the order in which mods are loaded in regards to MO, we mean that even the FILES in the MOD in question are also going to overwrite (not permanently mind you)

Example,

We install 4K rustic clothes textures first using Nexus Mod Manager,

We then install Amiddian Born Armor Textures,

We then install Spice Gear, which contains some 512 armor and clothing textures as well

All that using Nexus Mod Manager,

We load up the game,

We get shocked that our textures look suck ass bad.

To fix that with NMM, we have to uninstall fully 2 mods and then reinstall them.

That will take time that can actually measure in real minutes!

But that's IF you actually understand that those modules overwrote textures!

With Mod Organizer, we get a visual icon immediately telling us that there are going to be texture overwrites due to these popular mods.

I can then ask MO exactly which files are in conflict and get a list immediately in detail of exactly which files are overwritten, the only time you get that with NMM is during the moment it asks you if you would like to overwrite the files!!!  THIS IS DIFFERRENT IN EXTREME!

Get your head out of the sand!

We then Move the folder structure of what is going to overwrite what, YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN NMM! 

This takes measurable seconds to achieve, even on a toaster oven it would still take seconds!

I get real tired of NMM users thinking the two mod managers are the same.

I have not said they are the same.

Again I have no idea what you are on about with the textures or how it relates to NMM/MO.

I'm also running Interesting NPCs and Hydra's Slave Girls which add around 250 NPCs each. All with the correct meshes and textures. On top of that I'm also playing around with Virtual NPC Transfer tool and have several NPCs from one mod looking like an NPC from another mod.

I also run SCO Summer overhaul and several of the 'Rustic' mods. Everything looks great.

All done without MO or even with much involvement from NMM.

MO User here, there's ZERO reason to NOT use MO,and ZERO reason to reinstall Skyrim due to mods error, it keeps your Skyrim\Data folder clean

Its not just Texture files, its also knowing exactly what mod overwrites what scripts of exactly which mod its overwriting and simply moving the order in which the folder itself overwrites.

To do that in MO takes seconds, to do the same operation on Nexus Mod Manager means you have to figure out on your own that said module is overwriting scripts.  How long that takes?

Then after said person figures that out on tech support here on LL that they should not have overwritten Sexlab with SOS due to SOS having an older script than say in Sexlab!

Then they have to uninstall Sexlab and likely also SOS, how long that take you?  Probably 5 to 10 minutes.

Then that person is likely to reinstall those said mods in the proper installation order, taking another 5 to 10 minutes of waiting for the process to complete.

On Mod Organizer, that process took 3 seconds, to figure out that there was a mod conflict without posting on Tech Support and waiting 5 hours to 5 days.  It also took all of 3 seconds to move the installation order.

Also no don't switch to MO!

That's fine, but don't come in here trying to convince me that they are the same or that NMM is better, as I've used both extensively.

I've built plenty of mods to and its a hell of a lot easier with a separated virtual installation system.

WHY?

Cause I don't have assets from 500 other authors cluttering up the same space as the mod that Im building.

Priceless.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything except that no evidence has been presented to justify the statement that NMM is 'still shit'.

The fact that a load of MO zealots have chirped in with irrelevancies hasn't changed that.

okay fine if I put it like this then. NMM is doing nothing that MO isnt doing better. Like NMM is alright as a mod manager but if you compare MO with it its pretty bad.

There are many reasons to say as to why MO is better in pretty much every regard. If I ask you this. Can you tell me something NMM can do that Mod Organizer cant? 

Cuz I can say alot of things MO can do that NMM cant.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything except that no evidence has been presented to justify the statement that NMM is 'still shit'.

The fact that a load of MO zealots have chirped in with irrelevancies hasn't changed that.

nmm is a piece of crap because

- it put mods in data folder

- it can't check conflicts

- it don't put stuff you edit in overwrite folder

- it don't unpack bsa if you feel like loading texture optimiser on texture folder

-etc etc

oh, wait

I don't comment on MO as I have never used it.

you have no idea what we are talking about since you can't do that with nmm :D

- it don't unpack bsa if you feel like loading texture optimiser on texture folder

-etc etc

oh, wait

None of that makes NMM a 'piece of crap', it just means it does some things you dislike and doesn't do some things you require.

It does some things I dislike and probably doesn't do some things I would like but that doesn't mean it's the dog's bollocks or a piece of crap.

Oooh, it puts things in the data folder. So fucking what? (The clue is in the name 'data')  Hardly crime of the century is it? Steam installs to your Program Files folder which is the most stupid idea ever. That's one of the reasons I don't use Steam. 

okay fine if I put it like this then. NMM is doing nothing that MO isnt doing better. Like NMM is alright as a mod manager but if you compare MO with it its pretty bad.

There are many reasons to say as to why MO is better in pretty much every regard. If I ask you this. Can you tell me something NMM can do that Mod Organizer cant? 

Cuz I can say alot of things MO can do that NMM cant.

That is fair enough and fair play to you for re-wording it. I use NMM because it does what I require to a standard I can live with. If either of those two criteria change then I will look at MO or this Vortex thing which has been mentioned several times.

I would switch to MO but I have over 500 mods installed ,  a few merges

lots of scripts, hdt/Smp/UUNP, specifically modified character textures, numerous animation mods for combat, movement, etc

It would take some time to get things set up again.

My game is pretty stable as well.    I do like how fast mods install/unstall on MO

Anyone that has been reading forums for a long time and has helped people with both MO and NMM knows MO is overall better.

Most people that have problems use NMM. Obviously some MO users also have problems but I see way more people having problems with NMM.

I've seen that most people that switch from NMM to MO do not switch back. You don't often see people that know well about using MO switching to NMM and staying with it. I myself have used NMM before, but it was before profiles were introduced to it. I've since learned MO and havnt ever had any consideration to switching to NMM.

Some people are stuck with NMM. They have alot of mods and dont want to hassle with trying to move such a large order, while keeping everything intact. I don't blame them. The transfer process looks painful and problems are sure to arise. If it works well enough for their needs, then good for them.

NMM

Pro's

Easy to use

Con's

Isn't as clean as MO

MO

Pro's

Uses virtual folders

Con's

learning curve (anybody saying there isnt one i would ask you to check the trouble shooting forums, number of threads about how to run FNIS from MO for example)

That said i use NMM as i like to use my memory to remember what i have allowed to overwrite

-etc etc

oh, wait

None of that makes NMM a 'piece of crap', it just means it does some things you dislike and doesn't do some things you require.

It does some things I dislike and probably doesn't do some things I would like but that doesn't mean it's the dog's bollocks or a piece of crap.

Oooh, it puts things in the data folder. So fucking what? (The clue is in the name 'data')  Hardly crime of the century is it? Steam installs to your Program Files folder which is the most stupid idea ever. That's one of the reasons I don't use Steam. 

Wait, you didn't make Steam install to the C drive instead of the Program Files folder?

er why are you in this thread?

I would switch to MO but I have over 500 mods installed ,  a few merges

lots of scripts, hdt/Smp/UUNP, specifically modified character textures, numerous animation mods for combat, movement, etc

It would take some time to get things set up again.

My game is pretty stable as well.    I do like how fast mods install/unstall on MO

This is pretty much why people don't install or switch over to MO.  Get a lot of resistance to the idea, even when their game has gone to shit, and it would be in their best interest to nuke their installation and start fresh they just defend it and keep playing their game with the errors/crashes whatevers.

Anyone that has been reading forums for a long time and has helped people with both MO and NMM knows MO is overall better.

Most people that have problems use NMM. Obviously some MO users also have problems but I see way more people having problems with NMM.

I've seen that most people that switch from NMM to MO do not switch back. You don't often see people that know well about using MO switching to NMM and staying with it. I myself have used NMM before, but it was before profiles were introduced to it. I've since learned MO and havnt ever had any consideration to switching to NMM.

Some people are stuck with NMM. They have alot of mods and dont want to hassle with trying to move such a large order, while keeping everything intact. I don't blame them. The transfer process looks painful and problems are sure to arise. If it works well enough for their needs, then good for them.

Ya well they really shouldn't be hiding that this is the reason they defend the hell outta NMM.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Side note here but just to add to the pile of things NMM cant handle,

It cant handle installations that have 50,000 files in them.

It cant handle installations that have a singular file that is 1.5 Gigs in size,

MO doesn't have that problem, how do I know this, cause I had to repackage my modules so Nexus Mod Manager users would stop crying.

NMM is really meant to be a multipurpose game"s" manager, as in it is for all the games covered by the Nexus Site.

Mod Organizer is meant to handle "Skyrim"

And it does that really well, and it has all the tools that a Skyrim Modding Freak actually needs.

Not sure what you are saying in the first 'sentence'.

If even after more than half a decade of Skyrim you still don't understand why MO is superior, you probably never will. The fact that you don't understand basic load order is testament to that. Just use NMM and ignore the people who tell you to use MO. 

With NMM you'll always have a harder time troubleshooting crashes than someone who uses MO, but that's the path you picked for yourself. Just accept it and carry on.

He clearly does understand basic load order, by the fact that he said he manually changed his when some mods conflicted.

Something being "superior" for some people people does not make something else "shit", which is what he is taking issue with.  Stop acting like MO is the most perfect piece of software ever designed and that it must be worshiped on a pedestal, while all others are garbage.

Every single thread about mod managers turns into the same fanatical "if you don't like MO you're just bad and wrong" and it's really goddamn stupid.

If you don't like the gospel, then why show up to church, fuck I don't.

The title of the thread isn't about how much better NMM is.

The title of the thread isn't asking for blind NMM users to show up and defend the faith that is Nexus.

The title of the thread is can NMM compete, its not about feelings or your fucking preferences.

Or the fact that you never tried MO cause whine too hard.

Over half the posts in here are way off topic.

Topic is can NMM compete, no it cant done with topic that simple.

Currently running 243 active plug-ins with NMM no issues at all with my game can play for hours with NO CTD my game is heavily scripted and heavily modded . Food for thought I don't run loot either so is my game magical ..no. Its about understanding the mods you want to use and can your rig handle it. My best advice if you want to play Skyrim not CTD or deal will massive issues is spend some time and understand and learn about the game and what it really has to offer. It is not about what mod manager you use it's about using your brain..happy gaming :)

Probably there are some threads about this already but I really couldn't find a acutal one bout that matter.

I heard something that the guys from MO work for NMM now. is it true and if so, since MO is not gettin supported anymore, is NMM better now?

Haven't been lurking around for Skyrim Mods since a while and would really like to get an answer regarding that topic.

Maybe you can help me out? :)

Thx in advance

The original post,

In case people forgot.

If you don't like the gospel, then why show up to church, fuck I don't.

The title of the thread isn't about how much better NMM is.

The title of the thread isn't asking for blind NMM users to show up and defend the faith that is Nexus.

The title of the thread is can NMM compete, its not about feelings or your fucking preferences.

Or the fact that you never tried MO cause whine too hard.

Over half the posts in here are way off topic.

Topic is can NMM compete, no it cant done with topic that simple.

This post is the exact behavior I was talking about.

The title of the thread is "Is NMM good now?"  Do you see MO in that fucking title?  It's asking about NMM being better than it used to be, because for some fucking reason, NMM still has a stigma of "this will instantly destroy your game".

Did I say this thread is about NMM being better than MO?  No, I didn't.  Nobody has said that.  It was said that NMM is not shit, and the people who said it got dogpiled and treated like dumbasses for daring to not suck off our lord and savior, MO.

The only blind posting was from people who are blind to seeing that someone could have no need of MO's features, and that NMM doesn't cause cancer.

My "fucking preferences"? You don't know a goddamn thing about my modding preferences, and everything in this fucking thread is about personal preferences.  Not everyone needs or wants profiling, virtual files (both of which NMM does, anyway), etc etc.

Point to anybody in this thread who was whining about anything.  Calling out this constant fanatacism is not whining.  Never mind the fact that there are people who have tried MO and decided that it wasn't for them.  Is testing something and not liking it fucking whining?

And yes, it clearly can compete, since it's used by shitloads of people with no issue.

Take a step back and stop treating MO like your damn religion.

Archived