Nexus Mod Manager good now?

Probably there are some threads about this already but I really couldn't find a acutal one bout that matter.

I heard something that the guys from MO work for NMM now. is it true and if so, since MO is not gettin supported anymore, is NMM better now?

Haven't been lurking around for Skyrim Mods since a while and would really like to get an answer regarding that topic.

Maybe you can help me out? :)

Thx in advance

They did hire Tannin but the version they have been working on wasn't out yet since I last checked.

You can keep up with it here https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4940905-big-changes-for-the-nexus-mod-manager-and-the-introduction-of-tannin42-our-new-head-of-nmm-development/

Or here

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12905/?

Tip to new users:  Ignore the long posts.  Pointless arguments resolving nothing.

NMM = easy to use - less functionality and customization of mods

MO = Complex to use - more functionality and customization of mods

Vortex = TBD - points to middle of the road

Pick the one that is right for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer its still shit. Use MO.

Why is NMM 'still shit'? If you use MO how do you know what NMM is like these days? I use NMM and don't have any trouble with it or my game. I don't comment on MO as I have never used it.

The reason its bad is that it doesnt have a proper virtual folders system so when you install a mod it dumps the mod files in your data folder witch causes issues if you want to uninstall a mod. You also cant change in what order the mods are placed ( textures  etc ). Any ini tweaks you do you need to do in skyrims real ini files. You dont have to do that in mo. In mo you can create profiles with different ini files for each profile and different mods and loadorders for each profile. You can also see what savegames use what profiles. Its alot faster than nmm when it comes to unpacking and installing mods. It also has loot built into it.  

Lets say you install mods and mess up in nmm. Its not very likely you can uninstall that mod without encountering issues and possibly have to make a clean install of skyrim. With mo you can just make a new profile. You wont even have to download the mods again they will be unpackaged and ready to be installed. 

Probably there are some threads about this already but I really couldn't find a acutal one bout that matter.

I heard something that the guys from MO work for NMM now. is it true and if so, since MO is not gettin supported anymore, is NMM better now?

Haven't been lurking around for Skyrim Mods since a while and would really like to get an answer regarding that topic.

Maybe you can help me out? :)

Thx in advance

Some people still using older version(s) of NMM. I do too. I'm using 0.61.23 because 0.63.+ versions were extremely buggy and I, as the one who "officially" tested NMM for LL, gave up from further testing and recommending any 0.63.+ version. I'm waiting for the new "hybrid".

P.S. Friendly advice, :) don't fall on provocations from MO zealots. Just ignore it. Some people also give you misinformation about NMM. Some arguments stands, but most of them don't.

If you want to use the 0.61.23 version you can download it from my OP. I kept that version because it is the best version since 0.60.+ came out.

Why is NMM 'still shit'? If you use MO how do you know what NMM is like these days? I use NMM and don't have any trouble with it or my game. I don't comment on MO as I have never used it.

170521073801995034.jpg  170521073802302151.jpg

the crap kit something folders, that was just to load crap kit, i don't play with that

that mess doesn't matter, it's not in data folder, can get rid of it easily when done

when your mess look about right, you can just merge some folders with skyrim bsa folder, repack bsa, and be done with it

once you have a list of hundreds of mods, of folders, it become complicated to find stuff in your mess

as for the nmm vs mo war, it's the same as cbbe vs unp and the rest, funny crap

The reason its bad is that it doesnt have a proper virtual folders system so when you install a mod it dumps the mod files in your data folder witch causes issues if you want to uninstall a mod. You also cant change in what order the mods are placed ( textures  etc ). Any ini tweaks you do you need to do in skyrims real ini files. You dont have to do that in mo. In mo you can create profiles with different ini files for each profile and different mods and loadorders for each profile. You can also see what savegames use what profiles. Its alot faster than nmm when it comes to unpacking and installing mods. It also has loot built into it.  

Lets say you install mods and mess up in nmm. Its not very likely you can uninstall that mod without encountering issues and possibly have to make a clean install of skyrim. With mo you can just make a new profile. You wont even have to download the mods again they will be unpackaged and ready to be installed. 

Total rubbish.

Never had issues uninstalling a mod and I do that a lot - mid-game included.

Yes you can change the order mods are loaded  - they can be set manually in LOOT.

So tweaks are done in Skryims ini files. Make a backup before tweaking.

You can create profiles in NMM.

Don't know about the savegame thing as I've never had reason to need it.

So it shaves a few seconds off install times. Colour me impressed.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

Never had to re-install Skyrim because of NMM. IIRC I have only ever had to re-install Skyrim once and that was way back at the beginning of me modding it and the fault was with my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

You want to use MO then go ahead, just don't criticise other peoples work without good reason.

Total rubbish.

Yes you can change the order mods are loaded  - they can be set manually in LOOT.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

Never had to re-install Skyrim because of NMM. IIRC I have only ever had to re-install Skyrim once and that was way back at the beginning of me modding it and the fault was with my inexperience and lack of knowledge.

You want to use MO then go ahead, just don't criticise other peoples work without good reason.

right so there is a difference between esp load order and in what order textures and meshes etc are loaded

for example if i install smim and overwrite it with ruins clutter improved and press yes to overwrite I cant change what textures are beeing overwritten etc. 

If i use mo I can switch what textures and meshes are beeing loaded whenever I want, thats not possible in nmm. 

and for the its safe to uninstall mods in nmm part. Try installing a big mod like realistic water two and uninstall it mid playthrough using nmm. 

Point is, there is no reason to not use MO. It does everything nmm does and more and it does most of it better.

Not sure what you are saying in the first 'sentence'.

As for the example, I can choose what files get overwritten.

I have no need to switch what textures and meshes are being loaded. If I did I would install, say, two textures mods and check the one I wanted loaded and uncheck the one I didn't.

I have un- and re-installled mods of all shapes and sizes mid-game. Whether it works or not is down to the mod rather than NMM.

Point is, there is no reason to use MO if NMM does everything the user needs.

Nothing of what you have written suggests that NMM is 'still shit'.

and then you write

Point is, there is no reason to use MO if NMM does everything the user needs.

just for lol

Point is, there is no reason to use nmm if mo does everything the user needs.

when you install tamriel reload, rhds, skyrim 2k, sro, rustic, how do you pick the textures from those mods with nmm?

with mo, i just load 3 folders in testexturemerging

then i compare the result to 2 other folders

i copy paste the result in the last folder, then the one above, then the one above (until skyrim bsa folder)

when a texture mod is release/update, just compare it to my selection

if i want to delete a mod, i just delete the folder

if you want to delete a mod, nmm look for its files in data folder to delete them, then copy paste the files of the mods that now win the files order

if you no longer have the mod files where nmm want them, it still can find the files it have to delete? and copy paste the file that are supposed to replace them?

IMO, MO is far superior to NMM due to the virtual data folder.  There was recently a Q&A with Tannin on Nexus about the new manager "Vortex" that sounds promising though.  It also will use a virtual file system but not the same as MO.

yatol,

you  seem to have trouble with logic and following a conversation. This argument is not about which is best, which is entirely subjective, it is about the statement that NMM is 'still shit'.

If you want to jump through all those hoops with textures then bully for you. I can live without it.

Nothing is better     they are just different.

If you want fire and forget.. go with NMM

if you want to select specific bodies for npcs.. customize skeletons.. tweak your mods.. etc .. go with MO

Each tool fits different player types and any argument for one or the other is subjective based on personal preference.

Now go back to breaking your game!    dismissed!

Total rubbish.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

When people talk about the order in which mods are loaded in regards to MO, we mean that even the FILES in the MOD in question are also going to overwrite (not permanently mind you)

Example,

We install 4K rustic clothes textures first using Nexus Mod Manager,

We then install Amiddian Born Armor Textures,

We then install Spice Gear, which contains some 512 armor and clothing textures as well

All that using Nexus Mod Manager,

We load up the game,

We get shocked that our textures look suck ass bad.

To fix that with NMM, we have to uninstall fully 2 mods and then reinstall them.

That will take time that can actually measure in real minutes!

But that's IF you actually understand that those modules overwrote textures!

With Mod Organizer, we get a visual icon immediately telling us that there are going to be texture overwrites due to these popular mods.

I can then ask MO exactly which files are in conflict and get a list immediately in detail of exactly which files are overwritten, the only time you get that with NMM is during the moment it asks you if you would like to overwrite the files!!!  THIS IS DIFFERRENT IN EXTREME!

Get your head out of the sand!

We then Move the folder structure of what is going to overwrite what, YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN NMM! 

This takes measurable seconds to achieve, even on a toaster oven it would still take seconds!

I get real tired of NMM users thinking the two mod managers are the same.

There's also Wrye Bash, which is a perfectly competent mod manager in its own right. It's not only to make bashed patches.

FOMM

Fallout Mod Manager, still better than NMM today.

NMM is bad rippoff of FOMM

yatol,

you  seem to have trouble with logic and following a conversation. This argument is not about which is best, which is entirely subjective, it is about the statement that NMM is 'still shit'.

it is shit

have never finish oblivion

didn't took long to have problems with vanilla skyrim after i start installing mods

sperg save died

t3nd save died

wasn't making a backup of my data folder before installing a mod, or following the crap of some tuto, so it was just a matter of time

switch to mo when i tried perkus, save took more time to died, being cautious with what i install... useless

requiem save was one of the fastest to die (newer version of civil war overhaul, spy crap went crazy entering riften, before i even start the civil war)

end up with with negative damage, blabla about stack dumps in one topic, took a look at those logs

was able to search x.pex in mo folder to try another one, that was a fail

but a few errors disappeared from the log (solution was to check the id in tesedit, and copy paste mod a in mod b, so that's why you need patchs)

stack dumps, that was fail scripts or scripts that don't go well together (onitemadd() from requiem, screenshotassist... with autoloot, huge log with breezhome fully upgradable coffers)

as for civil war overhaul, just got rid of it, and problem solved (had to console command to finish it with perkus save, didn't had to do that without that mod with requiem save)

had ctd as usual, tried loading the save with just skyrim esm and bsa

that was a ctd, i can't load the save without some mods

when i could load the save with minimal load order, no more ctd zone there? came back with more esp, then folders, until ctd came back

time consuming crap, but ctds became history taking care of them one at a time

you can fix your mess messing around with your data folder?

i can't, was only able to do it thanks to mo mods folders

nmm don't have it, can't go back to it, that would be stupid

and if vortex don't have it, have no use for it

Total rubbish.

LOOT is built in to NMM.

When people talk about the order in which mods are loaded in regards to MO, we mean that even the FILES in the MOD in question are also going to overwrite (not permanently mind you)

Example,

We install 4K rustic clothes textures first using Nexus Mod Manager,

We then install Amiddian Born Armor Textures,

We then install Spice Gear, which contains some 512 armor and clothing textures as well

All that using Nexus Mod Manager,

We load up the game,

We get shocked that our textures look suck ass bad.

To fix that with NMM, we have to uninstall fully 2 mods and then reinstall them.

That will take time that can actually measure in real minutes!

But that's IF you actually understand that those modules overwrote textures!

With Mod Organizer, we get a visual icon immediately telling us that there are going to be texture overwrites due to these popular mods.

I can then ask MO exactly which files are in conflict and get a list immediately in detail of exactly which files are overwritten, the only time you get that with NMM is during the moment it asks you if you would like to overwrite the files!!!  THIS IS DIFFERRENT IN EXTREME!

Get your head out of the sand!

We then Move the folder structure of what is going to overwrite what, YOU CANNOT DO THIS IN NMM! 

This takes measurable seconds to achieve, even on a toaster oven it would still take seconds!

I get real tired of NMM users thinking the two mod managers are the same.

I have not said they are the same.

Again I have no idea what you are on about with the textures or how it relates to NMM/MO.

I am currently running 3 different female NPC overhauls which change well over 150 NPCs. The fems all have the correct textures. The only issue I had was because LOOT put the esps in the wrong order. I moved them into the correct order in NMM's plug-in list and manually locked them in LOOT. (This was all done on a level 50 game).

I'm also running Interesting NPCs and Hydra's Slave Girls which add around 250 NPCs each. All with the correct meshes and textures. On top of that I'm also playing around with Virtual NPC Transfer tool and have several NPCs from one mod looking like an NPC from another mod.

I also run SCO Summer overhaul and several of the 'Rustic' mods. Everything looks great.

All done without MO or even with much involvement from NMM.

MO User here, there's ZERO reason to NOT use MO,and ZERO reason to reinstall Skyrim due to mods error, it keeps your Skyrim\Data folder clean

NMM user here. Zero reason to reinstall Skyrim because I know what I'm doing.

Nothing is better     they are just different.

If you want fire and forget.. go with NMM

if you want to select specific bodies for npcs.. customize skeletons.. tweak your mods.. etc .. go with MO

Each tool fits different player types and any argument for one or the other is subjective based on personal preference.

Now go back to breaking your game!    dismissed!

Excellent summary. You could have added:

If you want to be big, tough and macho go with MO; if you want to wimp out then choose NMM. :)

I am currently running 3 different female NPC overhauls which change well over 150 NPCs. The fems all have the correct textures. The only issue I had was because LOOT put the esps in the wrong order. I moved them into the correct order in NMM's plug-in list and manually locked them in LOOT. (This was all done on a level 50 game).

NMM user here. Zero reason to reinstall Skyrim because I know what I'm doing.

that's not what he is talking about

mod a replace 50 textures

mod b replace 40 textures

mod c replace 80 textures

mod a is the best for some, mod b for some, mod c for some

moving around those mods order do nothing about that

that's funny, so many know what they are doing, yet the technical section isn't empty

Archived