what is it called when part of a mesh just goes off into infinity?

I'm asking because I know that I should be able to find the solution using google, but I must not be getting my search terms right. I've got a bunch of NPCs right now whose meshes are doing odd things. It's only females, and it originates in the chest area. Whatever clothes they're wearing, the chest area mesh seems to be attached to something very distant. In the Rivet City Lab, there's a white coat covering most of the lab, coming from all of the female scientists in the area. Red in Big Town too. After it showed up once, it just started showing up everywhere. Even NPCs that I had seen earlier in the same session suddenly had it. 

I mostly just want to figure out what the proper search terms for this sort of thing are. If it matters, I'm using TTW. 

I have the BnB BodyExtender Compatability Skeleton already, but I'll try it. It could be related to the pregnancy mod in some way- it started showing up on my character when she started having a belly (yet no NPCs affected were pregnant, so it could be the mesh switching from my custom race to the 'regular' one). I updated some files for the custom race recently, but no NPCs are using those so I have no idea how it would end up borking up all the regular people.

EDIT: It's also happening while naked- technically. Only while pregnant, so technically there is sort of an outfit still being worn.

EDIT: I think I have it fixed for now. I completely reinstalled the skeleton I had (downloaded it again and told MO to replace everything) and moved it all the way to the last slot in priority (despite the fact that nothing further down overwrote any of it), and now it seems fine.

Archived