Which version should I recommend to a friend?

Legendary Edition or Special Edition?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which version should I recommend to a friend?

• Legendary Edition
    • Special Edition

A friend of mine is considering getting Skyrim and is asking for recommendations.  However I'm not sure which he should get. 

Should I recommend the original Legendary Edition with its wider mod library?  Or should I recommend the newer Special Edition?  I've heard the latter performs better but its mod library still has a lot of catching up to do. 

both if he/she can. If not, then;

• the old version for the library if that is what they are interested in.
  • The new Version if they want more stable and pretty Skyrim off the bat. For the most part my brief time with the new version (testing) I found that many of the graphical changes I was piling on my old Skyrim wasn't needed. Somewhat less than all that graphical goodness I had before but not much worse. Not really needed unless you are really trying to make real heavy beautification and want to change everything.. then go with the old system.

The answer is really simple and depends as others have stated on what their end goals are. If they get the old version it should be cheap and they could enjoy the older mods and the mature modding environment with Script Extenders and such until the time the new version reaches this level (if ever) if it does, chances are the newver version would be cheaper than it is currently so that approach might be the "win, win" for your associate.

Oh, personally I still use and play the old version well more than I do the newer version... hands down. much more add ons and expansion available is the reason.

I play only the Old real version and have never played the SE version even though I could if I wanted to because if they had done their job correctly in the first place there wouldn't of been a need for a SE version and they could of spent their time on something else like another TES game. I also use the real version as it has the most mods for it. Plus I think with SE you are pigeon holed into using only one body type.

Personally I would go for Legendary. HOWEVER, if they have never played Skyrim I would recommend special edition. SKSE64 is not too far off, and the mod selection is big enough that your friend can play the game to completion until the script extender comes out. Probably.

Playing the game with a very low mod count is actually very refreshing. Sure maybe we cant use our immersion and sex mods, however you began to appreciate Skyrim for what it is. A very well made ARPG.

Also keep in mind.. for someone jumping in fresh.. modding heavily right off the bat may not be the best idea.

I would go with SE.    

If they get to the point where they now want more pron, then LE might be available at a reduced price around holidays and they can pick it up on sale and have both.

SE does have some sexy content... just not as much.

Plus I think with SE you are pigeon holed into using only one body type.

Nope.  SSE's lack of  SKSE doesn't make it alien tech   :P  All the usual body mods are fine for SSE, you just might need to convert the nifs, which is a one click affair via Bodyslide.

OP -  like everyone  says, it totally depends what your friend is wanting to do. If it's Sexlab or nothing, forget about SSE. SKSE mods are half a year away at least I reckon.

But if you want your buddy to have the smoothest possible experience with modding, SSE is the way forward. Flower Girls is a good SL consolation too, actually it's set up the same way I used to have my SL mods, with seduction and romance being the route to sexual encounters. Tempered Males SOS takes care of the architecture  ;)

Pretty sure I read somewhere that bodyslid is only going to do CBBE only for SSE version unless they changed it since then.

Bodyslide is Caliente's brainchild.  An amazing tool.  As is CBBE (an amazing body mod).

I would assume that any other body mod would have to create their own slider sets for use with Bodyslide SSE, so it would make sense that Caliente is not responsible for providing those.  It may also make sense that ousnius is not going to provide a port.

But I haven't seen an indication that it would be purposefully exclusive to other assets yet.  Other than the idea that someone else would have to provide the work on that kind of content.   

Have you seen otherwise to verify this?

Legendary forever.

Even when SKSE 64 comes out, it will problaby take a long time before people start converting mods. Depending what functions SKSE 64 might have.

Will it even get all the functions the old SKSE for skyrim have? Sounds like it could be alot of work to convert some mods.

And some mods problaby wont be updated due to some modders dont play skyrim anymore.

Its just alot of extra work for something that you can already do with old skyrim.

Who knows tho. Sometimes people suprise you.

Might as well stick to oldskyrim while waiting for next Elder scrolls. Tho thats problaby pretty far off :P

Pretty sure I read somewhere that bodyslid is only going to do CBBE only for SSE version unless they changed it since then.

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment, but let me clarify - yes new CBBE is the only body mod ousnius and team are developing for SSE, but that doesn't stop me using UUNP with SSE bodyslide, or any presets built for it or for CBBE. It seems to me that's the very opposite of being pigeonholed, no?

Good to know.  But it's still a bit fuzzy... vaguely it seems they are saying you can use either body texture and meshes.. and bodyslide SE will theoretically convert them both. If that's the case, hopefully we will still be able to port some of the uunp custom stuff over.   I guess it's a bit early to know though.

Thanks for the link =)

You know I'm thinking about trying the SSE for the first time on pc, since the old version on WIndows 10 crashes a lot when nearing Whiterun.  Not allowing me access to the town.  Fallout 4 is one of the most stable Bethesda games I've played.  Is SSE as stable as FO4?  I know it doesn't have SKSE yet, so no SexLab.  But the constant crashing in the old one is annoying me greatly.

You know I'm thinking about trying the SSE for the first time on pc, since the old version on WIndows 10 crashes a lot when nearing Whiterun.  Not allowing me access to the town.  Fallout 4 is one of the most stable Bethesda games I've played.  Is SSE as stable as FO4?  I know it doesn't have SKSE yet, so no SexLab.  But the constant crashing in the old one is annoying me greatly.

Oh It's stable...

With classic if you're not pretty disciplined with your modding practices you potentially wind up with a save that doesn't get much beyond your character's 20s before it shows signs of being unacceptably borked.

My last SSE playthrough I pretty much went out of my way to break by doing all the things I know I can't get away with normally. I got it to 65 before I started to notice some stuff wasn't quite working right, and even then I wasn't experiencing CTDs or performance issues.

It's obviously not bomb proof, but compared to classic it might as well be. 

Oh It's stable...

With classic if you're not pretty disciplined with your modding practices you potentially wind up with a save that doesn't get much beyond your character's 20s before it shows signs of being unacceptably borked.

My last SSE playthrough I pretty much went out of my way to break by doing all the things I know I can't get away with normally. I got it to 65 before I started to notice some stuff wasn't quite working right, and even then I wasn't experiencing CTDs or performance issues.

That's great to hear.  FO4 was very stable for me on WIn8.1 and WIn10, so this is good news.  I found a substitute for SexLab, it's called Flower Girls SE.  It has animations by both Leito and M2M.  I also found a lot of the non SKSE mods I use have been ported over.  What I need now is a dedicated female body, I heard that a new CBBE body is being worked on and hasn't been released yet.  So I don't know if I should install SSE yet or wait.  Then I don't know how much longer I can go without playing Skyrim.:P The UNPB body looks pretty good, but the boobs look too small to me since I use 7BO in original Skyrim.  I opened up the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio archive and saw there were no presets in the archive, so I can't make my own body or use a pre-existing body.  I guess it's waiting for Caliente's new body.   But anyway this is good news, and am looking forward to the stability.

Oh It's stable...

That's great to hear.  FO4 was very stable for me on WIn8.1 and WIn10, so this is good news.  I found a substitute for SexLab, it's called Flower Girls SE.  It has animations by both Leito and M2M.  I also found a lot of the non SKSE mods I use have been ported over.  What I need now is a dedicated female body, I heard that a new CBBE body is being worked on and hasn't been released yet.  So I don't know if I should install SSE yet or wait.  Then I don't know how much longer I can go without playing Skyrim. :P The UNPB body looks pretty good, but the boobs look too small to me since I use 7BO in original Skyrim.  I opened up the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio archive and saw there were no presets in the archive, so I can't make my own body or use a pre-existing body.  I guess it's waiting for Caliente's new body.   But anyway this is good news, and am looking forward to the stability.

You can do all the same things with SSE Bodyslide preset-wise, it just doesn't come with the files included in the install. Grab all those files for old CBBE or UUNP from the LE version and place them correctly and you're good to go. 

Yeah I agree that using a chunkier athletic shape can spoil you when it comes to the more traditional slimmer body forms, makes them seem far more waif-like than they really are. I'm using guk's Yoga Teacher CBBE preset with UUNP currently:

Skyrim_SE_2017-03-31_06-07-45.png

After a couple of months of glorious Frazetta style power thighs it's difficult to adjust to skinny little UNP pins. 

Oh It's stable...

That's great to hear.  FO4 was very stable for me on WIn8.1 and WIn10, so this is good news.  I found a substitute for SexLab, it's called Flower Girls SE.  It has animations by both Leito and M2M.  I also found a lot of the non SKSE mods I use have been ported over.  What I need now is a dedicated female body, I heard that a new CBBE body is being worked on and hasn't been released yet.  So I don't know if I should install SSE yet or wait.  Then I don't know how much longer I can go without playing Skyrim. :P The UNPB body looks pretty good, but the boobs look too small to me since I use 7BO in original Skyrim.  I opened up the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio archive and saw there were no presets in the archive, so I can't make my own body or use a pre-existing body.  I guess it's waiting for Caliente's new body.   But anyway this is good news, and am looking forward to the stability.

You can do all the same things with SSE Bodyslide preset-wise, it just doesn't come with the files included in the install. Grab all those files for old CBBE or UUNP from the LE version and place them correctly and you're good to go. 

Yeah I agree that using a chunkier athletic shape can spoil you when it comes to the more traditional slimmer body forms, makes them seem far more waif-like than they really are. I'm using guk's Yoga Teacher CBBE preset with UUNP currently:

Skyrim_SE_2017-03-31_06-07-45.png

After a couple of months of glorious Frazetta style power thighs it's difficult to adjust to skinny little UNP pins. 

Yeah, I never used unp only a custom UUNP body, but for now I'm using the CBBE preset that came with the Demoniac texture mod.  As for stability, I played two one hour sessions with 93 mods and didn't get a crash at all.  There are some SKSE mods I miss like SKYUI and IHUD, but a lot of the non SKSE mods I used in the original have been ported over.:)

For me the critical missing things are HDT, Racemenu, a high heels system and a hotkey extension mod. I'm really not a happy bunny but there's not much I can do about it. 

But I'm one of those weirdos who still values Skyrim as a game first, full time maintenance of it isn't something I've ever very much relished. So I live with the lack of important stuff and enjoy the smoother experience. 

Archived