When will we get a robust version of F4SE?

TBH most things can be achieved without F4SE (it just takes a bit of creativity and 10x the number of lines of code).

^ This

F4 Papyrus is a lot more powerful than Skyrim Papyrus. A great many things that needed script extenders in Skyrim, no longer do in F4. Compromises might have to be made here and there, but many people would be surprised what vanilla F4 Papyrus can do these days.

And I have very little faith to see a stable version of F4SE anytime soon, if ever. It's a very, very dead project that has seen no development activity worth mentioning in ages, at least none that we'd know of. The dev team has also never sent any strong signal of actual commitment to the project, more the opposite thereof.

In short, I wouldn't wait for it. And I quite certainly wouldn't use the current F4SE version for any project as long as it can be avoided. Depending on dead projects is never a good idea.

It is certainly not a 'dead project'

https://www.reddit.com/r/f4se/comments/65yawp/f4se_031_beta_taking_requests/

TBH most things can be achieved without F4SE (it just takes a bit of creativity and 10x the number of lines of code).

^ This

F4 Papyrus is a lot more powerful than Skyrim Papyrus. A great many things that needed script extenders in Skyrim, no longer do in F4. Compromises might have to be made here and there, but many people would be surprised what vanilla F4 Papyrus can do these days.

And I have very little faith to see a stable version of F4SE anytime soon, if ever. It's a very, very dead project that has seen no development activity worth mentioning in ages, at least none that we'd know of. The dev team has also never sent any strong signal of actual commitment to the project, more the opposite thereof.

In short, I wouldn't wait for it. And I quite certainly wouldn't use the current F4SE version for any project as long as it can be avoided. Depending on dead projects is never a good idea.

When will we get a robust version of F4SE so we can start using so many mods that depend on an extensive scripting system?

Have the devs of F4SE said anything about an update?

I suspect that the SKSE - Skyrim SE Script Extender will come first. Then after that an update for F4SE. I have no documented dialogue one way or the other on the subject though.

If you consider reddit chatter a lifesign. I don't. And even -if- they manage to actually release what's in the post before the sun runs out of fuel, they still have waaaaaays to go before this thing can be considered remotely ready for productive use.

The only FACT we know about F4SE is that it made next to no progress since FO4 was launched. That was back in 2015. We also know from developer quotes that it's not a very high priority for them, SSE is. So, I'd say it's about as dead as a squirrel that got rolled over by an Abrams tank. Whether or not this will change one day is pure speculation paired with lots and lots of hope.

PS: If I sound as if I have a less than favorable opinion of how they handled it, it's because I really don't. Releasing stubs with no functionality worth mentioning and then not following up with anything tangible for more than a year isn't exactly what I'd call good development practice.

They're a small dev team, not doing this full time, while trying to decode shit and make it work. It would be different if they could just copy shit from Skyrim and make it all nice and shiny, but they can't. They started from the bottom and have to work up.  The script extender for Skyrim was the same way, it was less than useful for a long time, but no one remembers that. Add in that they're also working on the script extender for Skryim SE, i think they're making good progress. ANY progress is better than none. If they were getting paid to have an efficient dev cycle, I'd be pissed, but they're not, so I can be patient.

If you consider reddit chatter a lifesign. I don't. And even -if- they manage to actually release what's in the post before the sun runs out of fuel, they still have waaaaaays to go before this thing can be considered remotely ready for productive use.

The only FACT we know about F4SE is that it made next to no progress since FO4 was launched. That was back in 2015. We also know from developer quotes that it's not a very high priority for them, SSE is. So, I'd say it's about as dead as a squirrel that got rolled over by an Abrams tank. Whether or not this will change one day is pure speculation paired with lots and lots of hope.

PS: If I sound as if I have a less than favorable opinion of how they handled it, it's because I really don't. Releasing stubs with no functionality worth mentioning and then not following up with anything tangible for more than a year isn't exactly what I'd call good development practice.

They're a small dev team, not doing this full time, while trying to decode shit and make it work. It would be different if they could just copy shit from Skyrim and make it all nice and shiny, but they can't. They started from the bottom and have to work up.  The script extender for Skyrim was the same way, it was less than useful for a long time, but no one remembers that. Add in that they're also working on the script extender for Skryim SE, i think they're making good progress. ANY progress is better than none. If they were getting paid to have an efficient dev cycle, I'd be pissed, but they're not, so I can be patient.

This is very true however if you give your word to someone to help them with a project then just never show do you not expect them to eventually get upset with you even if not paying you to help? I am not upset in the least, just trying to make a point. Taking responsibility for something gives obligation to follow through to either finishing the project or admiting you cant so the person can move on to plan B. Different people are going to have different time limits for patience on this and obviously some have reaced their limit. 

They are obviously busy in RL to devote a lot of time to this or the SkyrimSE extender. It could be years.

Taking requests doesn't mean anything if they haven't done the original work on their list before that. Its nearly like a company taking orders as the receivers Auctioneers are cataloguing stuff.

Of course if every person who asked "When is F4SE ready?" donated a couple of dollars, they could have probably subcontracted it out to a professional programmer :P

i will never understand why People on the PC Modding Community Cares about Skyrim Special Edition. all of the Major mods are on the Original Skyrim, and the Original Skyrim with a Few Mods and a ENB looks better than the Special edition, the Special Edition was Aimed at Console Users :/  i Wish Fallout 4 was Easier to Mod. 

i will never understand why People on the PC Modding Community Cares about Skyrim Special Edition. all of the Major mods are on the Original Skyrim, and the Original Skyrim with a Few Mods and a ENB looks better than the Special edition, the Special Edition was Aimed at Console Users :/  i Wish Fallout 4 was Easier to Mod.

Mostly it's the greatly improved stability and 64-bit capability. That in and of itself is a pretty big deal.

The problem is, as you said, all the major stuff is out for Classic, and not all of it would be easy to transfer over. And besides, why start from effectively square one when you already have a very fleshed out experience with classic available?

Mostly it's the greatly improved stability and 64-bit capability. That in and of itself is a pretty big deal.

The problem is, as you said, all the major stuff is out for Classic, and not all of it would be easy to transfer over. And besides, why start from effectively square one when you already have a very fleshed out experience with classic available?

i agree and i heard that the Special Edition of Skyrims Creation kit is the Mess of a Kit that Fallout 4 Has :/

sure 64 bits would be nice but they are not worth the downgrade to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived