How to use Face ripper to make an ESP for Companions

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to use Face Ripper in order to create custom faces for my companions. All goes well, but the "morphs" (bones or whatever they are called) for the faces become distorted. 

Face created:

post-164325-0-95014700-1493695108_thumb.jpg

post-164325-0-13998400-1493695118_thumb.jpg

post-164325-0-11979900-1493695123_thumb.jpg

How it looks on Piper:

post-164325-0-73482300-1493695607_thumb.jpg

post-164325-0-45741600-1493695612_thumb.jpg

post-164325-0-94659900-1493695626_thumb.jpg

I've followed all of the instructions with no success. At this point, I would like to just create my own ESP. How do creators actually do this? I would like to know how to do something like this.

I have Fo4Edit and CK, but my knowledge of the functionality is extremely lacking.

With your help, I think this may actually be my first mod  :D

Thanks for your time!

EDIT!! Here is the solution for all who need it!! Tested 3 times (on Piper, Cait and Curie) and it works like a charm! Thanks Vinovat!

Vinovat, on 07 May 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

snapback.png

This will most likely be a long post... so bare with me!

The entire process requires only two external programs and a savefile!:

1-Fo4Edit

2-Face ripper

3-A save file where YOUR character has the face you want one of your companions to have!!!!

I'll now explain in, more detail, on how to make your companion Piper have a face of your own chosing. This process can be applied to any NPC or companion you want. however i'll use this particular example!

I recomend that you follow my instructions 100%. Once you feel comfortable with the process, you can skip a few steps. 

However, if this is your first time.pls follow it exactly!

------------------------------------------------CREATING FOLLOWER ESP PROCESS BELOW-------------------------------------------------------

0-

Create a folder on the desktop. This is where we will do all of this!

1-

Open fallout 4 (the game) and load your character.

Open looksmenu and apply ("slm 14")  and apply the face to your own character. (this is the face we are going to transfer to piper) 

Then save! your game and put this save file into that newly created folder!

(now we are done with fallout 4!!! the rest concerns external programs)

2-

Open Fo4Edit!

When you opne this, a box will appear with all the mods you have! 

This program basically asks you wich mods you are going to use (i recomend that you tick in all the mods you have! there is a reason for this which i will explain later on).

MAKE SURE TO TICK IN "Fallout4.esm" since all information about piper will be in this plugin!

3-

What happens is that Fo4Edit then loads all the mods you have ticked in!

Background loader it will say in the lower left corner!

4-

once it is done: it will say, in the lower left corner: Background loader: finished!

5-

Now... to your left, you will see a bunch of mods with small "+"-signs to their left. this is all the mods that you use in the game... also all information about them!

This is where we will create our own esp file that alters something in the game!!

6-

So, find fallout4.esm (should be at the very top)

press the + sign to expand it!

When you do that, a you see subgroups within it with all their own +-signs which you could further epxand!

i want you to find: "" Non-Player characters (Actors)"

Because this is where information about PIPER exists!

Once you have found it, expand it! and locate piper! (she should have ID code 00002f1f).

7-

Once you have found piper!  right click on her name and chose "Copy as override into!"

There will be a warning text saying

"i fricking hope you know what you are doing", do which you answer.

"bich pls, yes i do" (ofcourse it's not saying this but... ppretty close)

8-

It then asks you if you want to override this information into an already existing mod (a box appears with all the mods you have). Go all the way done and tick in the box for  "new file"!

(because you want to create a new esp that alters her face and not have it embedded into an already existing mod!)

9-

You can name this esp file whatever you want!! i usually name mane after my name"vinovat" and who it changes: so

Vinovat_Piper_face.esp

is the name i use... but you can chose whatever you want!

10-

Another box appears that says that it will add fallout4.esm as masters. press ok!

11-

Now, if you go the the left, where all your mods are!

Look at the very bottom... you should find your newly created esp.file!

Now you have created an empty esp file which all information about piper!!!! if we only alter the information regarding pipers face... !!!! this is what we are going to do now!

However there is one RLY IMPORTANT STEP left

12-

If your face has a hair from MISCHAIR... then this information must be adressed in your newly created esp file!

this is done by right clicking on it and press "add masters". this will tell the esp.file what it should depend on!

for example, if i have makeup from LOOKSmenu Customization COmp... then i need to add this as masters to my esp file... such that it knows that, when piper has this face... some information must be carried over from looksmenu... otherwise she will have vanilla makeup!

similarly with hair. if i donot add MISCHAIR as masters, piper will have vanilla hair!

naturally, you can add several masters... however in order to activate this esp in the game... you must have these masters already installed!

13-

So add whatever masters you your face is dependent on! once you have done that! close Fo4Edit... this will save your esp.file in DATA folder

so locate this plugin! copy it and put the copy in the newly created folder you have on your desktop!

now in this folder you should have the save file with the face you want... and your newly created esp file!!

now, hopefully, we are done with Fo4Edit!!!

14-

Download face ripper and extract it into your newly created folder!

in this folder, you should have:

-Save file with face you want piper to have

-ESP file you just created that contains all information about piper

-Face ripper which is a program that transfers information about your face from a save file to a plugin!

15-

I think you see where i'm going with this!

Open face ripper,

-top empty line: here you load your save file with the face you want to transfer!

-Bottom line: here you load your esp file which you want to have the face transferred too (he esp.plugin you just copied over!)

Transfer... and you are done!

it will create a new esp file. something like Vinovat_piper.*00002f1f.esp* (or somehting like that) <---- this one contains piper with the face you wanted!!!! YOU ARE DONE!!!

LOAD the new esp file!!! (and delete the old one you had in your data folder) and have fun!

REMARK:

in (15-)

sometimes when you transfer, it says that the save file has a master which you esp does not include! this is where you know that in (12-). there is a master you have forgotten to add!. 

now if you ignore this... the game will show piper with the face you wanted... however she is missing something!!! if the warning said that your esp file is missing MISChair... this will then show in the game with piper having vanilla hair! that is because face ripper could not port over this information because your esp.file does not depend on it! you see why adding masters are important!

So what you need to do is open Fo4Edit, again, find your mod (not the new one you just got after the face ripper... the other one... the one without the id numbers) and simply add the master that was missing. now close Fo4Edit again and locate you data folder. find this plugin and put this in your newly created folder again and try to transfer the face from the savefile to this esp again!

If everything has gone as plan... face ripper should only say "DONE!" <-- this is when you know that everything has gone as planned!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be alot of typos in the text!... i'm sorry for that. 

i'll compensate this by stayng here to answer questions when needed!

-Vinovat

----------------------------------------------------------- 

Hmm i suggest try doing it ingame by opening the console and type SLM 2f1f (piper's REF id) and use Race menu to set up the preset on her

I hope this helps!

This won't work on vanilla companions or any other NPC with a specific name for that matter. This only works on generic settlers/unnamed NPCs. The result will be the same with distorted faces.

Hmm i suggest try doing it ingame by opening the console and type SLM 2f1f (piper's REF id) and use Race menu to set up the preset on her

I hope this helps!

This won't work on vanilla companions or any other NPC with a specific name for that matter. This only works on generic settlers/unnamed NPCs. The result will be the same with distorted faces.

Actually ive done it in my game many times before

Well! I was going to create a thread asking this sort of question, myself!

I've been using SLM on Vanilla companions (mostly piper atm) and it looks great! ....At first. After a few quick travels, or a quick load, he face merges the custom preset and her vanilla face together and it gets all... Joan Rivers-ish. *shudder*

I usually go back into SLM, apply the preset and it's fine for a bit.... but this is very tedious when it happens often.  And if I have multiple followers? I can see myself getting really frustrated.

Hoping someone has a better solution for permanently changing companion faces! I don't like using other people's .Esp's because many times they tend to conflict with other companion altering mods. <_<

Well! I was going to create a thread asking this sort of question, myself!

I've been using SLM on Vanilla companions (mostly piper atm) and it looks great! ....At first. After a few quick travels, or a quick load, he face merges the custom preset and her vanilla face together and it gets all... Joan Rivers-ish. *shudder*

I usually go back into SLM, apply the preset and it's fine for a bit.... but this is very tedious when it happens often.  And if I have multiple followers? I can see myself getting really frustrated.

Hoping someone has a better solution for permanently changing companion faces! I don't like using other people's .Esp's because many times they tend to conflict with other companion altering mods. <_<

Yes! This exactly ^^^

If you (this thread is) are still alive and you guys still wish to know how you create a esp file which alters one companion follower to a face of your own choosing. reply to this (otherwise i'll assume that you guys have moved on).

I have created ONE single esp file that alters almost all characters i would like to alter. Though i have merged my face replacers with that of (smarter companions) such that they are smarter and have my faces.

-Vinovat (same name on the nexus)

If you (this thread is) are still alive and you guys still wish to know how you create a esp file which alters one companion follower to a face of your own choosing. reply to this (otherwise i'll assume that you guys have moved on).

I have created ONE single esp file that alters almost all characters i would like to alter. Though i have merged my face replacers with that of (smarter companions) such that they are smarter and have my faces.

-Vinovat (same name on the nexus)

I'm alive! I'd love to try it

1-Fo4Edit

2-Face ripper

3-A save file where YOUR character has the face you want one of your companions to have!!!!

I'll now explain in, more detail, on how to make your companion Piper have a face of your own chosing. This process can be applied to any NPC or companion you want. however i'll use this particular example!

I recomend that you follow my instructions 100%. Once you feel comfortable with the process, you can skip a few steps. 

------------------------------------------------CREATING FOLLOWER ESP PROCESS BELOW-------------------------------------------------------

0-

1-

Open looksmenu and apply ("slm 14")  and apply the face to your own character. (this is the face we are going to transfer to piper) 

2-

Open Fo4Edit!

This program basically asks you wich mods you are going to use (i recomend that you tick in all the mods you have! there is a reason for this which i will explain later on).

MAKE SURE TO TICK IN "Fallout4.esm" since all information about piper will be in this plugin!

3-

4-

once it is done: it will say, in the lower left corner: Background loader: finished!

5-

Now... to your left, you will see a bunch of mods with small "+"-signs to their left. this is all the mods that you use in the game... also all information about them!

This is where we will create our own esp file that alters something in the game!!

6-

When you do that, a you see subgroups within it with all their own +-signs which you could further epxand!

Once you have found it, expand it! and locate piper! (she should have ID code 00002f1f).

7-

Once you have found piper!  right click on her name and chose "Copy as override into!"

8-

It then asks you if you want to override this information into an already existing mod (a box appears with all the mods you have). Go all the way done and tick in the box for  "new file"!

(because you want to create a new esp that alters her face and not have it embedded into an already existing mod!)

9-

You can name this esp file whatever you want!! i usually name mane after my name"vinovat" and who it changes: so

Vinovat_Piper_face.esp

10-

Another box appears that says that it will add fallout4.esm as masters. press ok!

11-

Now you have created an empty esp file which all information about piper!!!! if we only alter the information regarding pipers face... !!!! this is what we are going to do now!

12-

If your face has a hair from MISCHAIR... then this information must be adressed in your newly created esp file!

this is done by right clicking on it and press "add masters". this will tell the esp.file what it should depend on!

for example, if i have makeup from LOOKSmenu Customization COmp... then i need to add this as masters to my esp file... such that it knows that, when piper has this face... some information must be carried over from looksmenu... otherwise she will have vanilla makeup!

similarly with hair. if i donot add MISCHAIR as masters, piper will have vanilla hair!

naturally, you can add several masters... however in order to activate this esp in the game... you must have these masters already installed!

13-

So add whatever masters you your face is dependent on! once you have done that! close Fo4Edit... this will save your esp.file in DATA folder

so locate this plugin! copy it and put the copy in the newly created folder you have on your desktop!

now in this folder you should have the save file with the face you want... and your newly created esp file!!

14-

-Face ripper which is a program that transfers information about your face from a save file to a plugin!

15-

Open face ripper,

-top empty line: here you load your save file with the face you want to transfer!

-Bottom line: here you load your esp file which you want to have the face transferred too (he esp.plugin you just copied over!)

it will create a new esp file. something like Vinovat_piper.*00002f1f.esp* (or somehting like that) <---- this one contains piper with the face you wanted!!!! YOU ARE DONE!!!

LOAD the new esp file!!! (and delete the old one you had in your data folder) and have fun!

REMARK:

in (15-)

sometimes when you transfer, it says that the save file has a master which you esp does not include! this is where you know that in (12-). there is a master you have forgotten to add!. 

now if you ignore this... the game will show piper with the face you wanted... however she is missing something!!! if the warning said that your esp file is missing MISChair... this will then show in the game with piper having vanilla hair! that is because face ripper could not port over this information because your esp.file does not depend on it! you see why adding masters are important!

So what you need to do is open Fo4Edit, again, find your mod (not the new one you just got after the face ripper... the other one... the one without the id numbers) and simply add the master that was missing. now close Fo4Edit again and locate you data folder. find this plugin and put this in your newly created folder again and try to transfer the face from the savefile to this esp again!

If everything has gone as plan... face ripper should only say "DONE!" <-- this is when you know that everything has gone as planned!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Vinovat

1-Fo4Edit

2-Face ripper

0-

1-

2-

Open Fo4Edit!

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

Vinovat_Piper_face.esp

10-

11-

12-

13-

14-

15-

Open face ripper,

REMARK:

in (15-)

-Vinovat

OMG Thanks so much! I'm trying it now

Okay so for piper and cait it works! Thank you so much!!

--for Curie it seems that it doesn't. Maybe it was user error on my end so I'm going to try again! It made her invisible. 

Works for Curie! I must have been tired. Vinovat, you're the best!!

Hi there!

I'm glad i could help!

-Vinovat

• 3 years later...

Except that the Piper within the Fallout 4.esm is NOT 2f1f - it says "CompanionPiper 00002f1E", and Face Ripper throws an exception error and will NOT finalize.

Apparently, in FO4Edit, Piper is listed under FallOut 4.esm as "CompanionPiper" with ID "2F1E" rather than 2F1F, which of course is what shows in-game. So Face Ripper is unable to complete it's process and throws an error:

"See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at FO4Ripper.plugin.translate_id(UInt32 id, List`1 order)
   at FO4Ripper.face.to_plugin(face fc)
   at FO4Ripper.form_face.button4_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4250.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
FO4Ripper
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/WolfT/OneDrive/Desktop/Piper's%20Face/FO4FaceRipper.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4250.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4200.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4220.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

I do not know how to fix this problem.

• 1 year later...
Spoiler
On 5/7/2017 at 3:58 PM, Vinovat said:

1-Fo4Edit

2-Face ripper

0-

1-

2-

Open Fo4Edit!

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

Vinovat_Piper_face.esp

10-

11-

12-

13-

14-

15-

Open face ripper,

REMARK:

in (15-)

-Vinovat

Hi someone know why I dont have Piper 2f1f but 2f1e and called compagnon piper? The 2f1f is in another place, under "cell" and called PiperRef. When I go in game she doesnt change at all ><. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Since this is what came up in google while I was refreshing my memory I'll add that you shouldn't include any hair or other head part for the face that is in that esp/esm itself or in an esp that is mastered to that esp/esm as it'll cause circular references resulting in a stack overflow which will prevent it from being able to be opened in FO4Edit (OK will be grayed out), and CTD the game. I don't know why faceripper will try to add the esp as its own master but it's dumb like that so it is what it is.

Solution is to use a vanilla part replacing it then correct it in FO4Edit later.

If it's a head part in an esp/esm that it could validly have as a master then it's fine. Just not itself or something that is mastered to it.

The ideal solution would be for the creator of face ripper to make the program aware of trying to master an esp/esm to itself and, ya know, not do that. That'd just be a partial fix for something that should obviously never happen. But it'd be difficult for it to check to see if it's mastering something to the esp/esm that is mastered to that esp/esm as it'd have to check every esp/esm depended upon and its masters. Though if it could and just null reference it and inform you of that it'd be nice.