How does a SexLab playthrough work? Is there some screenshot/video/text Let's play?

Pinkishu

Hi,

I'm not sure how to actually express this, so forgive me if I'm a little unclear...

so I've tried various of these mods. Devious Device stuff, SexLab stuff. I seem to notice some things making Skyrim pretty unstable, especially when combined with other heavy texture mods or heavy script mods.

I mostly like Requiem, as it makes the game challenging, but I'm not sure how good an idea that is with these mods.

Well, my main question: how do playthroughs actually work?

Maybe thats just me, but to actually like the things like Devious Devices or such, I have to be in a mood for it. Does that not apply to others here? And when I'm not in the right mood it can quickly be more annoying and tedious than interesting I find.

I could have two Skyrim builds and play the one I prefer for my current mood, but then again I'd somewhat not feel like wanting to actually play much of the SexLab-focused build because it lacks the gameplay features that make me want to play the game.

i.e. I'd find Death Alternative + Devious Devices interesting. Get tied up and thrown out (after maybe being assaulted) if you lose against those bandits (which are preferably harder than vanilla too, so it's a challenge). But then again I'd only find that interesting when actually in the mood. Then again when in the mood I might actually find exactly that interesting to happen, rather than just beating the bandits. Especially if it's a separate Skyrim build from my normal playthrough.

Anyway, I'm mostly just wondering how others use those mods to make a playthrough. Maybe it's just because it is so mood-dependent for me that I can't see it work too well

You have to know your system and decide what it can handle or not.

I used to add a lot of SexLab related mods in my mix, mostly to test them (and I still do), but I regularly edit back the list of what is absolutely necessary to match my idea of a balanced gameplay. 

The good news is that there are now many options to serve just about any kink you can think of. The bad news is that many are experimental (including some of mine).

So before adding new mods now, I ask myself:

- how script heavy is this mod? does it have cloak effects or massive update loops?

- does it overlap too much with one of my current mods? 

- can I remove two mods to make room for this one in case of overlap?

- does the mod have a story, a purpose? does it fit into the overall atmosphere of the game?

I currently have 250 esps/esms in my list and I find it harder and harder to go over the list and edit out things I don't need anymore.

In term of moods, I use only one build but I have two addons to Live another life (CCAS and New Beginnings). They are very useful when I want to experiment with a different background and gameplay.

Two things first: Sexlab/DD in general won't make your game unstable, but mods using it may be script heavy and with other mods like this, it may be a result. But it's really only too many scripts running what causes problems.

Sexlab and DDi themself have some script load, but not that much. So it depends on other mods.

The most problems occure when stack dumps happen within the papyrus engine, that means that some scripts won't be executed and this can cause quests breaking, CTDs,... maybe the worst part is that you won't recognize it at once if that happens, all you see ingame are the results which can happen hours later. That's one reason why i have logging enabled all the time (the other is my memory, i usually only check it the first 2-3 three times after adding/updating a mod) and check them when i quit the game, not only when i have problems - the error might have happened earlier. A good hint if you need to check the log is when it becomes unusal big, that often means there is a problem. So, if everything is fine it's enough to check the folder and the file size.

If they happen too often, you have to reduce your scripts using mods, but it doesn't matter if the mod is considered adult or not. And that point might speak for your solution: one profile with adult mods, one without. Especially some DD mods can make the game quite difficult without any game changes by other mods. Maybe you can replace requiem here with a challenge of a different kind... 

And for the gameplay: it depends a lot which mods you're using. There are a lot of quest mods that don't influence your vanilla game play, other mods like defeat... yes, sometimes it's annoying to be gang raped when you just wanted to rush through that cave. But don't forget... if you're beaten, you'd probably be dead without it, if you're not in the mood for beeing raped, just do the same as you would do without it: reload and try again. Or end the animation via hotkey and kill them via console. Or go and fetch a coffee instead of watching. :)

That's the three solutions i found when i'm not in the mood.

I guess the most annoying mod is cursed loot, it's just that i seem unable to play without it. ;) Imho it's madness to play with default values, use different settings. I know that this doesn't always help, especially if you don't want to change all settings and you just want to play normal. It still happens that i go through a dungeon without looting anything just because i'm too afraid to get stuck, but of course you can turn it off temporarily or save & load again. And then there are mods which actually allow you to play without much looting. Prostiution for money, pregnancy for soul gems, etc.

A proper combination of sexlab mods allow you a completly different playstyle, and that may be intresting as well. :)

Hi,

I'm not sure how to actually express this, so forgive me if I'm a little unclear...

so I've tried various of these mods. Devious Device stuff, SexLab stuff. I seem to notice some things making Skyrim pretty unstable, especially when combined with other heavy texture mods or heavy script mods.

I mostly like Requiem, as it makes the game challenging, but I'm not sure how good an idea that is with these mods.

Well, my main question: how do playthroughs actually work?

Maybe thats just me, but to actually like the things like Devious Devices or such, I have to be in a mood for it. Does that not apply to others here? And when I'm not in the right mood it can quickly be more annoying and tedious than interesting I find.

I could have two Skyrim builds and play the one I prefer for my current mood, but then again I'd somewhat not feel like wanting to actually play much of the SexLab-focused build because it lacks the gameplay features that make me want to play the game.

i.e. I'd find Death Alternative + Devious Devices interesting. Get tied up and thrown out (after maybe being assaulted) if you lose against those bandits (which are preferably harder than vanilla too, so it's a challenge). But then again I'd only find that interesting when actually in the mood. Then again when in the mood I might actually find exactly that interesting to happen, rather than just beating the bandits. Especially if it's a separate Skyrim build from my normal playthrough.

Anyway, I'm mostly just wondering how others use those mods to make a playthrough. Maybe it's just because it is so mood-dependent for me that I can't see it work too well

I think some of this is why Mod Organizer has its profile system, so you could use the mods you want on the saves you've started with them, but if you want to play another way you can swap to your other set of mods and saves.

With the game as old as it is many people have played through the content enough they're no longer worried about playing seriously and will tweak difficulty higher or lower based on what they want to do, either for an added challenge on a particular quest/guild line or just to wander a somewhat open world.

I often will enable a group of mods based on some new one I found or some features in an update to one I'm already using and play for a few days making use of whatever those features are to create content for myself. Then I'll disable those or change things around some way and start off in another direction. I keep a save in the LAL cell without a lot of the extra mods installed but it is a great annoyance checking 5-6 MCMs before I can get going each time. I do love the modders using FISS or Json systems to save info between games.

Sexlab could use a few tweaks but it's mostly all just cosmetic function that it needs. Sexlab as a framework itself is very stable.

Systemically just using Sexlab I've never had a problem with it since....I dunno, probably for a few years now.

I can say with a fair amount of confidence that as someone that is usually running upwards of 500+ mods and always sitting at 254 active plugins that all my minor hang ups with my Skyrim playthroughs are the fault of other mods.

So core system wise if you're looking to avoid issues I'd say Sexlab, SLAL for additional animations, Sexlab Romance and Aroused Redux....as a core system is pretty solid for an uninterrupted play through. Even BeeingFemale is pretty problem free if you're looking for roleplay consequences.

Now if you delve deeper you may run into issues. I can say I've never had a problem free Devious Devices run but again thats not usually the fault of DD itself its a fault of all the required mods to make it all functionally playable as a game system and when you have that many moving parts you increase the potential for error by a pretty heavy factor with each new thing you add.

So...for a stable play through Sexlab is very functional it's just down to keeping your game systems that are focused on sexual activity fairly simple....cause just like DD if you start piling more and more functions onto Sexlab eventually the moving parts will throw a gasket and something will start causing issues.

@Issues with instability: Yeah, I just recall reading some thread that you can't have a fancy-modded nexus Skyrim and a SexLab/Loverslab modded one together or something. I guess my normal build would be relatively script heavy already though (Frostfall, iNeed, Requiem, and such). And then probably DD/SexLab just pushes it over the corner.

Might try the idea of just reloading if I fail and don't feel like the consequences, that makes sense actually xD

@Issues with instability: Yeah, I just recall reading some thread that you can't have a fancy-modded nexus Skyrim and a SexLab/Loverslab modded one together or something. I guess my normal build would be relatively script heavy already though (Frostfall, iNeed, Requiem, and such). And then probably DD/SexLab just pushes it over the corner.

Might try the idea of just reloading if I fail and don't feel like the consequences, that makes sense actually xD

One thing I learned about playing with sexlab mods on (especially defeat and SD+) is to adjust my gameplay accordingly if I don't like the consequences.

Don't run gungho into a 10-to-1 fight and not expected to be defeated. Use stealth more. Get some help. I usually try to hire two followers at least through the low levels if I don't feel like getting assaulted every 2 minutes.

One thing I learned about playing with sexlab mods on (especially defeat and SD+) is to adjust my gameplay accordingly if I don't like the consequences.

Don't run gungho into a 10-to-1 fight and not expected to be defeated. Use stealth more. Get some help. I usually try to hire two followers at least through the low levels if I don't feel like getting assaulted every 2 minutes.

Well with Requiem I'd still frequently lose a 1-on-1 fight ;D

I used Requiem with SexLab mods for a long time but I got tired of the ridiculous visual effects for drugs and diseases, and the uber deadly random encounters (like ice wreaths coming out of nowhere at level 1).

That said, it worked well with SL mods for the most part.

If you can have both depends a lot on what you consider fancy, and the mods you use for it, your hardware, and your settings... graphic enhancements shouldn't interfere much with script mods as long as you have enough VRAM and a GPU good enough that the CPU won't be bothered with graphic stuff, so it can concentrate on the scripts.

For graphics i think the most important settings are made in ENBoost, although some .ini settings in Skyrim might be a point in some cases. But i'm really no expert in this stuff and since it depends on you hardware (+OS, + background programs running) anyways... you'll hardly find a config that fits your system perfectly. At least you might be able to get some small boost with some tweaking (and therefore run more mods at once), but you have to try it on your own. ENBoost has also some settings for several threads/CPU cores, but again... no expert.

For scripts the SKSE memory patch is important of course, but it's quite limited what you can change there. Should be fine as long as you use it. Stuff for tweaking are the papyrus settings in Skyrim.ini which offery mostly to sacrifice performance for stability, and the mod config itself. Especially mods that run scripts constantly/often, like the scanning for sexlab aroused/creature framework can have high or low impact depending on you settings. Reduce the scanning times can allow you to run one or two other script mods without getting problems.

Crash fixes has some settings as well, for example i've turned on an experimental feature to seperate RAM in several blocks and i'm pretty sure that reduced my crashes, but if those experimental things work fine,... again, even if they are bug free, it depends on your system.

In general there is no technical difference between LL and nexus mods, you can easily run 125 of each at once. Or you can make your game crash with 20 from one site, it depends on the mods, not if your actors are naked while using them. ;) Sexlab mods always need at least some few scripts, but that isn't problematic by default.

I've discussed some of this on my build thread (http://www.loverslab.com/topic/68029-descent-into-debauchery-skyrim-build/)

Which started as a 'Well, I'm going to try and build a stable sexlab/devious devices orientated game so I shall share the build so other people can as well' and has kinda degenerated into me waffling into empty space and using it as somewhere to keep a (rather incomplete) change log for diagnostics.

I'm quite happy to update some of the build notes with a current mod list, load order, Cursed Loot settings etc if anyone is actually interested.

I'm now running a load order of 200+ and a mod list of 400+ tho, so some streamlining may be needed! Otoh, I guess that is also proof you can have a stable and playable sexlab game of that kind of complexity... :blush:

Many sexlab mods can not only introduce gratutious w-rated moments but dramatically alter gameplay as well. For example:

• 'Defeat' and similar let you crank the difficulty waaaay up. Suddenly losing a fight isn't a 'reload an earlier save' moment, but gameplay continues afterwards. Do you need to run away and effect a dramatic skin-of-your-teeth escape? Had you actually cut down over half of them and if you take a moment to catch your breath, chug a whole bunch of potions and go in loaded for bear you might be able to win round 2?
  • Deviously Cursed Loot really changes how dungeons work. Monsters ain't your only threat any more, you need to decide who/what you loot as well. No more going along slowly searching every nook and cranny - dungeons are faster, more fluid, and more tense. Simply clicking on 'search' is a nerve racking experience when it might let you find a key and escape your bonds - or it might result in armbinder hell and the whole thing going pear shaped.

From a basic stability side of things I would say:

• Follow the STEP guide install process. You don't have to use all the pretty mods, but it is an excellent starting point for a lot of the little stability tweaks, patches, etc.
  • ENBoost is helpful, but optional to begin with - get a feel for basic modding first. Full on ENB is even more optional.
  • Crash Fixes is well respected and used by almost everyone, but do follow the install process. It's a bit more complicated than just dropping it into your mod manager and pressing go. More details here, along with some other tips: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/74427/?
  • Load your game by typing 'coc qasmoke' into the console in the root menu, then loading the game. By breaking the game loading into two parts it seems to dramatically reduce the chance it will crash when initially loading an otherwise stable game.

Other tools you will/may want are:

• Papyrus log viewer. I use both 'PapyrusLogViewer' and 'Papyrus Data Transfer GUI'. The log viewer is quicker and simpler so it's easier to find things like the last log entry and mods that are just spamming errors in there. Data Transfer is a more complex tool that gives are more detailed analyis and has some handy 'try to fix it please' functions.
  • Wyre Bash. Other tools like Bodyslide you will encounter when you need them but Wyre Bash is the best tool I have found for identifying load order issues. You don't have to understand it, just open it up and look for anything that doesn't have a green tick next to it. In the lower right window it will show the order that mod wants mods loaded in. Then right click on the 'bash patch' at the bottom and choose 'rebuild patch'. Fix any deliquency errors it throws up. It won't be possible to get all the mods perfectly happy, but this is the best way I've found to get close.
  • Save Game Cleaner. You won't need this on day one, but sooner or later you will need to start cleaning your saves. I recommend 'Save Game Cleaner', but if that doesn't work try 'Resaver'. Much like Wyre Bash, don't be too afraid if you don't understand quite what it is doing - just click the right buttons and let it do it's thing.
  • 2 weeks later...

I did get at least two files to lv 40+ and had many quests finished(DG and DB included)  with PSQ and Defeat mostly

I also use a lot of true immersion mods like frostfall and iNeed, and umm..."immersion" mods like Fill Her Up and Soul Gem Oven, also a lot of gameplay/diff enhancers like Vigor. All in all looking at 288 mods installed and 187 active plugins.

My last setup I decided to run things like SD+ and Pahe but the game got really prone to crash with all that stuff, so I'm back to the tried and proven load order.

• Load your game by typing 'coc qasmoke' into the console in the root menu, then loading the game. By breaking the game loading into two parts it seems to dramatically reduce the chance it will crash when initially loading an otherwise stable game.

This is true and very helpful, but there is an amazing mod called Continue Game No Crash http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78557/? that essentially bypassed the need to constantly do this. By using this mod I've reduced my need to qasmoke start games by pretty much 100%. I still crash on certain saves, but that is more my fault/choice for saving in bad scenarios, like combat, or combat with a dragon, or combat with a dragon in the middle of a city with ASIS perk generated npcs. It is , imho, absolutely worthy of a dedicated slot in my precious and ever increasing load order.

In regards to stability, this will always be a personal balancing act. When I want to play a more immersive playthrough, I tend to roll a male. Why? Because his schlong is the only important schlong in all of skyrim. That means I can switch to SOS LITE and this gives me a good bit of head room for other scripted mods such as Frostfall, Ineed, DSR, EBT, LOTDB. This also gives me reason to go around banging all the beautiful females I've added to my game. If I'm feeling generous to the other males in my game, I might modify my skeleton to give them something to not be ashamed of while I adjust mine with racemenu. Immersion mods tend to be heavy, and especially so when used in combination. Start adding Sexlab mods and your game will most like become unplayable.

When I want to play female however, I can't bring myself to use SOS LITE due to needing the controller ring to position schlongs, and this can be very annoying at times, and useless when you have multiple partners, which If I'm playing female, there will be many. SOS Full will allow me to adjust on the fly and set statistics for what my woman will deem acceptable. This will of course have an impact script wise on your playthrough. So you have to cut some of the fat from your load order in order to maintain a stable game. For me, this means cutting out Frostfall and/or INeed. My woman runs around in sexy gear, and while i love cloaks and backpacks for immersion, they have the most annoying habit of blocking my favorite view in game, which is my character. I use the Emperor's new cloak for an invisible cloak to use on my PC's with frostfall. Besides, if my characters gonna run around in a lace bikini why do i want frostfall? So I generally cut it out. If your playing 2h, and no need for shields , DW, or staffs, then consider leaving DSR out of that playthrough as well.

Archived