Need Help with modding stellaris custom species/race

Outlast1

Hi been running into some issues lately involving creating from scratch a brand new race, now stellaris wiki has a turoial on how to make one with static

portraits but no matter what I do it does not work. I have made the DDS. and JPG portraits, I also made the two files GFX/Portraits/portraits, and

GFX/models/portraits but after that their tutorial makes no sense. There is a you-tube tutorial but I cant figure it out, So I was hoping that some kind sole

here could break down the process for me into laments terms so I can do this I plan to release that mod once finished here after i find the sources of all

the google images I used for this to avoid copyright issues. But I am currently at loss on what to do. This is not like modding transcendence by George

miamisato (which I probably spelt wrong). hopefully after I Figure this out I will be looking into making animated portraits from scratch and even new ships

once I figure stuff out.

to recap:  what my mod folder looks like now is as follows.

1.) Rothan Race folder in my documents (I am a windows user).

2.) included in the above folder is GFX and common along with the descriptor.

3.) inside GFX is portraits and models.

4.) example (GFX/portraits/portraits)

5.) example 2 (GFX/models/Portraits).

after that I cannot figure out what else i need to do for the species and getting the game to acknowledge it,

Thanks to Kazyn and all his advice my questions have been answered there is no longer any need to answer.  Conflicted! :D

Current problems: <color coded> Red = Pinned down or Stopped Green = all is good.

Current issue Copyrights: First off after a While of digging and searching most of the Images I have available are not allowed for commercial use aka: I cant use them with out specific permission. as It stands the images from the mod I am working use 95% images from deviant art, and model pages such as fiery red heads from face book, girls of the dark side face book or other sites I cannot find specific details in accordance with their copyright. Automatically I cannot use them by assumption.

new Ships as I said I would be trying to learn how to make these-------Iam struggling I am still trying but I may have to scratched this idea.

New portraits and images for leaders and events currently halted and bogged down. I am an artist but most of my art is limited to pencil work graphite, and oil pastels. which I tried to use as the main images for the leaders this looks terrible to me and wont use them.

Current progress: I have learned how to add images and modify races, I will be working more on trying to figure out how to modify events and incidents. currently my mod is usable but sadly due to copyright laws cannot be uploaded here because well I don't want to be in trouble. private use as long as I don't sell or redistribute as my own work is allowed but that is all.

There is a chance I may have to call this off I really want to do this, If anyone knows of free sites that allow the use of images (cyber punk style) could let me know so i can go look over there I would be eternally in your debt. I do have news that Eromancer and His team Gave me permission to use Neon's image for mod so hooray my favorite character. Thank you again and please Ill still be researching and looking up images to use but if you know of any please be sure they are ok to use.

Having made a couple custom static races myself, I think I may be able to help out here.

I'm assuming you know what files to "edit" WITHIN your mod's folder, so I ask: did you create a .mod file that's supposed to sit OUTSIDE of your mod's folder?

Default path should be:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod\

Which contains:

1) Your mod's folder

2) Your mod's .mod file

If you use the "create mod" tool in the game's launcher it'll make one for you. After that, it's just a matter of opening the .mod file with a text editor and edit what you feel needs to be editted.

Having made a couple custom static races myself, I think I may be able to help out here.

I'm assuming you know what files to "edit" WITHIN your mod's folder, so I ask: did you create a .mod file that's supposed to sit OUTSIDE of your mod's folder?

Default path should be:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod\

Which contains:

1) Your mod's folder

2) Your mod's .mod file

If you use the "create mod" tool in the game's launcher it'll make one for you. After that, it's just a matter of opening the .mod file with a text editor and edit what you feel needs to be editted.

I did create the mod file and such the main issue is not knowing what else I need to add such as species_classes, and 00_species and ext. the tutorial

was not very clear. cause mine is a humanoid which in time I hoped to add custom made ships and cities for. I went to steam started the game went to

create a mod did the naming and had it create the folder that part of the tutorial made sense its the editing and getting it to work in game that is a little

tricky to me.

Ah, I see. That's not terribly tough. Below is an example of the file structure of one of my mods:

Anything with a + in front of it is a folder.

+Azyra (the name of my race - this'll be your race instead, obviously)

+Common

+species_classes

AZY_00_species_classes.txt (arbitrary name - I try to follow Paradox's naming conventions for their files as closely as possible, however - up to you)

+GFX

+models

+portraits

+azyra (your race name here, instead)

your .dds files

+portraits

+portraits

azy_10_portraits_custom.txt (another arbitrary name)

Now, if you don't know what actually needs to be edited within those text files, let me know. Kinda doing this step by step right now. Right now, we're just focused on getting your portraits to appear in game and be selected by the player. Don't worry about city backgrounds or ships yet.

• 2 months later...

Ah, I see. That's not terribly tough. Below is an example of the file structure of one of my mods:

Anything with a + in front of it is a folder.

+Azyra (the name of my race - this'll be your race instead, obviously)

+Common

+species_classes

AZY_00_species_classes.txt (arbitrary name - I try to follow Paradox's naming conventions for their files as closely as possible, however - up to you)

+GFX

+models

+portraits

+azyra (your race name here, instead)

your .dds files

+portraits

+portraits

azy_10_portraits_custom.txt (another arbitrary name)

Now, if you don't know what actually needs to be edited within those text files, let me know. Kinda doing this step by step right now. Right now, we're just focused on getting your portraits to appear in game and be selected by the player. Don't worry about city backgrounds or ships yet.

Do you still have these files? I'm wanting to create a goblin race and trying to find an up to date modding tutorial is near impossible. You're the closest I found and really need the help.

Archived