Duz's Mod Testing & porting

Hello fellow Se skyrim players!

ive been doing some research and testing into mods ,many of the mods i am experimenting with are the old skyrim mods and im researching compatibility to the new SE version to see if they work.

maybe with this verification the authors can make se ones ..or not ... who can tell? 
Now this was done for my own personal play and I do not take credit for these mods or Methods , or functionality or anything of the kind but as I know SE is lacking in many respects for mods, I thought this could help those searching or wanting some more options, I'm not endorsed or asked by authors to do this or check them nor do I have any gain other then  for fun 

I hope these methods and links assist you in your porting/work in SE

-DUZ

As SE progresses I will further expand Tabs and such as needed to have helpful zones for links and tips 

I'll throw up compatibility notes an how they function , steps needed to fix if you have the time for it ect as we cant share things without permission i cant give the functioning mods away

if you would like to add to the growing compatibility list just post what works,and how and a link to the mod 

I strongly suggest NMM and manually adding them in 

Werewolf & werebear mods

Various Werewolf Mods tested and requested

• Heart of the beast -sounds and skin replacer , eye replaces are functional [not checked av comparability], eyes are great and roars are fun
  • Hdt werewolves SE -download from se adult mods moonlight tales compatibility is beta 
  •  

female  & male replacer [just follow the instructions provided to alter breast # ] i will say this mods impressive as it alters female werewolves to reflect body weight which is more realistic imo , as HDT werewolves is also compatible as is with CPB when using SKSE64 and cpb/hdt

Note that using SOS you can get working Male werewolves genitalia with jiggle physics 

Vampire Mods 

Various Vampire Mods tested and requested

• Seductress serana [serana replacer] works fine no bugs with aft vampire lord 
  • disciples of molag bal [sE] some bugs with npc vampires throwing out the demon voice on vampire energy drain , btu the roar and other effects more then make up for it 
  • Better shaped female creatures [sE] now i mark this as vampire as mainly it does alter the female vampire 
  • VL armor edit it shortens and tweaks the cloth [not my style but for those wanting some change it worked fine] 
  • VL armor recolors - i actually like the dark version and works nice with VL retrexture 
  • VL perks expanded -[sE] not as vast as moonlight tails but a nice setup for VL expansion 
  • VL retexture [sE] a very nice retexture thats compatible for the better shaped fem creatures female vampire lord 
  • grimoas VL- main aspect is the wings that are a nice change , works with SE vl re-texture & Vl armor recolors , does not work with better shaped female creatures Vl female forms 

Personally I would like to se a HDT female vampirelord thats not been redone to a human body with cut/paste wings .... 

Follower Porting to SE -how to get started

Requirments: 

Skyrim Creation Kit (64 bit)
Nif Optimizer for SSE
BAE extracter tool

Nif Scope

Nexus Mod Manager [NMM]

Info: mods that requires skse or high heels esm probably will require more indepth works

• Step 1: download the install file of the mod manually to a non game directory
  • Step 2: using nmm install the file manually into your sse profile using the green plus button, then use the green check button like you normally do to install a mod.
  • Step 3: close nmm (don't run game yet) and navigate to the creation kit exe file. If you have already downloaded the creation kit from Bethesda it should be in your main skyrim se directory. Double click the creation kit exe file to open the creation kit. You Might get some warning but don't worry that's normal, just click yes to all when that happens.
  • Step 4: once the creation kit is open, click the load button (the yellow folder icon). This will open a window showing all of your installed esp files. Find the esp for the mod you are converting and double click it. This will put an x in the little box next to it. Now click on the button that says make active. Hit ok to load the esp. again you will get a bunch of error warnings but don't worry just say yes to all.
  • Step 5: now that the esp is loaded use the object window to change something. Doesn't matter what it is because you will change it back before you save the esp. as an example :use a bedroll. What you want to do is double click on the item to open its property window. Now change the name only (not the id) say from bedroll to bedroll1 and click ok. Again you may get error messages but you know the drill by now, just clear them. Now click the save button (the floppy disk icon). Now that you've done that, go back to the item you changed and change it back to what it was originally and click save one more time. Once you've hit ok and saved, you can exit the creation kit, you won't need it anymore. Btw make sure you are using the 64 bit version of the creation kit. Another note to be aware of is that sometimes when I exit the creation kit it will say there is a problem and needs to close. Not sure why but it saves the esp just fine as long as you hit the save button before exiting.
  • Step 6: now navigate to your sse data folder and locate your esp that you just converted and copy it to a non game folder
  • Step 7: go back into nmm and completely uninstall the mod from sse profile just like you would any other mod. The whole purpose of all the steps up till now is to convert the esp to sse format.
  • Step 8: now go to the non game folder where you downloaded the mod install file and extract using 7zip (I use the option to extract to a folder with same name as the install zip, but you don't have to). Next, replace the old esp from the extracted files with the one you just converted.
  • Step 9: if the extracted files are all loose files, great. If not you will need a bsa extractor tool to do it since sse can't read bsa from oldrim mods. Once all the files are in loose format, download a tool called sse nif optimizer (it's on the nexus I think) and extract it into another non game folder. Does not matter where. Next we are going to fix the meshes to work nice with sse.
  • Step 10: double click the sse nif optimizer exe to start the tool. For this first part we are going to fix only the face gen meshes so in options click on include subdirectories and head parts only. It is very important to only use this second option for the face gen. Use the file locator at the top and navigate to the loose files folder where the facegen meshes are (data/meshes/actors/character/facegen) and highlight the facegen folder. Click on ok to run the tool. Once it's done, close the tool and read the txt file generated if you want to see what changes it made. Next open the optimizer again and BE SURE to uncheck the head parts only box. We are going to fix the rest of the meshes now. Navigate the tool to the top level meshes directory (data/meshes) and. CLick on meshes folder and click ok to run the tool. Ps, I recommend you use this optimizer away from the main games directory so you don't inadvertently screw up your other game files. Plus you need to be in a different directory anyway for the last steps. Again be very certain to uncheck the head parts only box for this step. Btw you can't reverse the order, or the head meshes will be ignored by the tool since it thinks it's already fixed. Ok once that is completed you can exit the optimizer tool.
  • Step 11: now if you have any animation files you will need to convert them as well, when you downloaded and installed the creation kit it also downloaded a havoc converter exe into the tools folder in your main sse game folder. Copy this exe file into the loose files folder from before where your animation files are. You can use windows console command following the readme or if you are lazy like me just download a bat file to do it. There's one on the sse nexus. Once you have both those files in the proper animation directory just double click the bat file and it will convert them into sse format. You can then delete the havoc exe and the bat file if you want. Almost done now.
  • Step 12: now that all of your loose files are ready for sse use 7zip tool to compress them back to an archive that nmm will be able to use. I usually keep the original nam with convertedtosse at the end so I can tell which one is for sse only.
  • Step 13: open up nmm and and load your converted mod using the green plus symbol and then use the green check symbol to load like any other mod.

That's it, enjoy.

-Ps mods that requires skse or high heels esm made need more work ..... 

Creatures 

Various Creature mods -note for creature animations you done need the framework use SLA and load them in as you would any, loot with give a false error though] 

creature framework

more nasty critters 

HDT_Giants  - nifs require  nifoptimization to function 

-functions with HDT phys framework and cbp in SE as is 

Better shaped Female creatures- already ported 

Creature Body slides - works in SE with better shaped or amidians 

Female dragoness

Faallokar V2-dragon: break bsa to loose , nif cleanup to fix meshes, bbp/hdt not active?

Female atronarch Replacer -ported and functioning 

Armors SE

Armors are usually simple use nifoptimizer and smooth everything usually does the trick, weapons also 

The amazing world of Bikini Armor [SE] - one of the more liked mods is strangely NOT located on NMM and is however located on a tumblr ... [i personally find it strange] 

HDT

you will need to create an account

-get the framework

-get the physics

-suggest have these with CBP + immersive cbp  

-hdt high heels also available but not much caring for it myself...seems to work automatically in my system 

http://www.9damao.com/thread-61878-1-1.html

USING SKSE64 -how to get started

Now some may not know how to install or really need/want to use SKSE64 for testing 

well your in luck ... here are the steps 

[requires achiever program, .7zp is suggested...] 

1.  get SKSE64 [link] download the SKSE64 #  to file placement of choosing on your gaming system ....  to work on in later steps
  2.  get a mod manager that works with SKSE64 [suggest NMM but not a official one...]  LINK to unofficial  [im using NMM v64 which handles 2gb mods in a single download  ] 
  3.  now open up your skyrim folder [in steam its in common] open to were you see the .exe files [if not your system os hides them ..] should say SkyrimSElauncher in folder 
  4. now bring up a separate window with your skse64 [break that sucker open with .7zp [its free ...why not?] 
  5. expand the skse64 past C:\Users\skse64_2_00_06\skse64_2_00_06 till you see DATA and the launcher 
  6. now select everything [EXCEPT DATA and SRC] and copy /paste it to the skyrim folder before mentioned 
  7. ok now take the  [data] place in new folder and name it I suggest to SKSE_V#_Data and archive it with .7zp
  8. do the same thing for SRC and name it SKSE_V#_SRC
  9.  now drag/drop that to NMM icon on desktop and activate it 
  10. now go to the [SKYRIM] tab in NMM and in drop down select the launcher skse  [also suggest copy make shortcut of launcher from skyrim folders you copied to desktop or launcher tool to make it easier for click n play 
  11. when game loads up to abse menu hit ~ and type this  getskseversion
  12. if all steps are followed the command console will display the skse version now enjoy your skse64 enhanced game [i suggest skyui for starters ... ] 

hmm  more followers fail the succeed in testing.

one of the main issues ive noticed with them is either the following scenarios

nmm added 

1. try to play insta crash
  2.  plays into game go to area of follower and crash 
  3. get to follower and missing eyes, hair, face or textures ,head... -disturbing- 
  4. works but body or clothing has issues
  5. works 100%

for those of you following the confirmed working ones , please check the addon files  the authors provide and report any varaiations that work 

if you have any trouble with these let me know ive found odd tweaks to fix it 

Most followers can be made to work although involves a bit of skullduggery, what I do is manually break apart the the nif file into head/hair/eyes etc. Convert the pieces to the new format then build the npc in the CK with the pieces.. then take just the head mesh from the old autogen and insert into the new autogen.. so you end up with a fully converted autogen true to the original.

Most followers can be made to work although involves a bit of skullduggery, what I do is manually break apart the the nif file into head/hair/eyes etc. Convert the pieces to the new format then build the npc in the CK with the pieces.. then take just the head mesh from the old autogen and insert into the new autogen.. so you end up with a fully converted autogen true to the original.

more work on our end honestly, unless its a follower you cant live without i guess

i havent had any time myself to try remaking followers as of yet just testing which are currently compatible as is 

got some fun vampire ones working well together 

mainly revolved around female form alterations but overall i found they improved the realism of it for me 

may add more later if testing goes well with a few im trying still together [some dont get along ]

Oldrim version of Arissa works in SE if you unpack the bsa.  Doesn't load if you use the old bsa.

this one ?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53754/?

can you explain the process, i personally came from console so learning all this PC modding is rather new to me 

i understand you use somehting like bae

but then do you rearchive via 7z and then use NMM to add it in ? 

Yes that's the one.  I used BAE to unpack the BSA and then just installed the loose files plus the ESM.  I tried repacking it but I must have done it wrong because I couldn't get that to work right (it loaded but the textures and meshes were messed up).  The loose files work fine though.

Oldrim version of Arissa works in SE if you unpack the bsa.  Doesn't load if you use the old bsa.

this one ?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53754/?

can you explain the process, i personally came from console so learning all this PC modding is rather new to me 

i understand you use somehting like bae

but then do you rearchive via 7z and then use NMM to add it in ? 

Yes that's the one.  I used BAE to unpack the BSA and then just installed the loose files plus the ESM.  I tried repacking it but I must have done it wrong because I couldn't get that to work right (it loaded but the textures and meshes were messed up).  The loose files work fine though.

can you screen how to loose file it im not understanding how that works  

Oh.  When you extract the bsa, it will put all of the files it extracted where you told it too.  Those are the loose files.  Just zip up all of those files along with the ESM or ESP that came with the BSA and install that zip with your mod manager.  You can delete the BSA file after extracting.

Oh.  When you extract the bsa, it will put all of the files it extracted where you told it too.  Those are the loose files.  Just zip up all of those files along with the ESM or ESP that came with the BSA and install that zip with your mod manager.  You can delete the BSA file after extracting.

oh ok xD i didnt understand thats the terminology 

also weirdly i was given permission to share the mirielle snowelf follower by its creator to se 

so im updating OP to add the se version

My method for converting:

unpack the original mod into a folder.

unpack the .bsa there.

delete the .bsa

run nif optimzer on the meshes. 

- find and move the head meshes out. move them.

- run optimizer on the whole thing

- run optimizer on the place you moved the head bits to.

move head bits back.

Now, rar up the whole thing to whatever you're going to call it for SSE.

Install that via NMM.

Fire up CK and open the mod (set as active)

save the mod.

Now, easiest way to get a new .bsa is login to bethnet.

Select pack and upload for PC.

It will do the bits to make an archive. Once done, it will take you to the actual upload screen. close that.

Look in your data folder and you'll have the .esp and bsa files.  (should be 3 files. esp.  main.bsa and a texture one if there are textures)

Stuff those files into a new rar and yer good to go.

Easypeasy.

heh.

EDIT:  almost forgot, under textures from the old version, look for any .jpg files. Those have to be changed to .png or you'll get a CTD in game. You then have to edit whatever used those in the CK to point to the .png instead.  (books tend to be the problem)

It's a straight text change in the CK.     picture001.jpg   change to picture001.png and you're fine.

GIMP is stupid easy for just a flat conversion. (open jpg, save as png, done.)

My method for converting:

unpack the original mod into a folder.

unpack the .bsa there.

delete the .bsa

run nif optimzer on the meshes. 

- find and move the head meshes out. move them.

- run optimizer on the whole thing

- run optimizer on the place you moved the head bits to.

move head bits back.

Now, rar up the whole thing to whatever you're going to call it for SSE.

Install that via NMM.

Fire up CK and open the mod (set as active)

save the mod.

Now, easiest way to get a new .bsa is login to bethnet.

Select pack and upload for PC.

It will do the bits to make an archive. Once done, it will take you to the actual upload screen. close that.

Look in your data folder and you'll have the .esp and bsa files.  (should be 3 files. esp.  main.bsa and a texture one if there are textures)

Stuff those files into a new rar and yer good to go.

Easypeasy.

heh.

EDIT:  almost forgot, under textures from the old version, look for any .jpg files. Those have to be changed to .png or you'll get a CTD in game. You then have to edit whatever used those in the CK to point to the .png instead.  (books tend to be the problem)

It's a straight text change in the CK.     picture001.jpg   change to picture001.png and you're fine.

GIMP is stupid easy for just a flat conversion. (open jpg, save as png, done.)

very informative 

I always doublecheck the the .bsa against the loose files.

Sometimes it grabs extra stuff, sometimes it misses stuff.

CK is weird like that sometimes.

That is the conversion process in a nutshell though.

Larger mods take a bit more work (like underground bathhouse. doing all the optional esp files, fixing the .xml etc)

I have broken my install more than once during conversions. (usually by doing something stupid)

So now, I keep a backup of my playable version and a clean empty version. Saves a lot of time.  :)

Larger mods take a bit more work (like underground bathhouse. doing all the optional esp files, fixing the .xml etc)

I have broken my install more than once during conversions. (usually by doing something stupid)

So now, I keep a backup of my playable version and a clean empty version. Saves a lot of time.  :)

well so far ive followed this to repair some , im still having this issue with 

um no eyes no hair , but body and voice and action seems to be fine.. can i add alternate eyes or hair to this in some manner to fix ? 

-also i need to learn how to make followers myself- 

um no eyes no hair , but body and voice and action seems to be fine.. can i add alternate eyes or hair to this in some manner to fix ? 

To be honest it entirely depends on how the original mod was done, one method which was commonly used was the CK part was created first.. a facegen file generated with no facial morphs from the CK. The the facegen nif file was then hacked where the head mesh was replaced with an exported head from racemenu, so the morphs are not saved in the CK.. they are part of the mesh. In this case.. you can still convert to the new format but it requires quite a bit more work and understanding of what you are doing.

In your case if the face looks right then hopefully the morphs were done in the CK, it is easy therefore to load a hair/eye/brow mod as a master and then just pick a new hair/eye/brow and then generate the autogen from that.

To be honest it entirely depends on how the original mod was done, one method which was commonly used was the CK part was created first.. a facegen file generated with no facial morphs from the CK. The the facegen nif file was then hacked where the head mesh was replaced with an exported head from racemenu, so the morphs are not saved in the CK.. they are part of the mesh. In this case.. you can still convert to the new format but it requires quite a bit more work and understanding of what you are doing.

In your case if the face looks right then hopefully the morphs were done in the CK, it is easy therefore to load a hair/eye/brow mod as a master and then just pick a new hair/eye/brow and then generate the autogen from that.

I see ..

im honestly not very savy with the CK  ... ims till muddling about but you definitely have given me some ideas how to precede on my projects 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your work. :)  I converted Ysgramor's armor to work with SSE, but the author denied permission in uploading on nexus or anywhere.  He said he doesn't like seeing his mods ported.  But anyway nice work. :)

you could put a how to here for the conversion to se, that way you leave it to others to get it done 

some are not interested in ise ports, normally because they dont want it going to beths.net

some just want to do it themselves for whatever reason

normally i offer to just give them the ported mod, or they co author me so i can load up the port 

some just say for me to do the upload n port myself, so youll run into a lot of variations in authors 

i just honestly wish to expand what mods the SE community has 

Thank you for your work. :)  I converted Ysgramor's armor to work with SSE, but the author denied permission in uploading on nexus or anywhere.  He said he doesn't like seeing his mods ported.  But anyway nice work. :)

you could put a how to here for the conversion to se, that way you leave it to others to get it done 

some are not interested in ise ports, normally because they dont want it going to beths.net

some just want to do it themselves for whatever reason

normally i offer to just give them the ported mod, or they co author me so i can load up the port 

some just say for me to do the upload n port myself, so youll run into a lot of variations in authors 

i just honestly wish to expand what mods the SE community has 

Those are all great ideas.  I also wish to expand the mod library for SE.

As for how to convert armors and weapons from Skyrim to SSE:

1) Use nif optimizer to optimize the meshes for SE.

2) Check to see if all textures are dds.  If not convert them to dds.  Using gimp or photoshop.

3) Load mod in the SE creation kit and once loaded save it.  This will make it compatible with SE.

Well that's how I do it.  Here's the link to nif optimizer: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089