Working noose - proof of concept

[v4.0beta1]

- unified script between the hanging gun and all the furniture - this is not visible to the user, but very important for me, makes rolling out future updates a hell of a lot easier

- the script is now property-driven - you can change a lot of script behaviors via FO4Edit. See the properties screenshot and the details below. Please note that there is a consistent piece of logic embedded into the script, trying to make sure that the properties, and their effects, remain consistent and realistic

- the script is now a lot more modular, again making maintenance easier

(these three features are the reason why I consider this a major release, hence 4.0)

- introducing a new 3-seat, craftable gallows furniture - you can direct up to 3 NPCs to "sit" into the gallows (they will kneel and wait), then shoot them with the hanging gun for a simultaneous execution; see screenshots

- introducing neck-snapping and thrashing on kill

- new choking sounds, hopefully more realistic

- various tweaks, positioning and otherwise

The editable properties are:

- allowfeetrestraint = whether to place a feet restraint, or start with the feet on the ground
- allowhandsrestraint = places a hands restraint; currently disabled on all furnitures
- allownecksnap = neck-snapping on kill, currently enabled on all furnitures
- allowprop = places / disables the chair
- allowreversenoose = self-explanatory
- allowrotatingnoose = rotates, or not, the noose after kill
- isgarrotte = whether the furniture is a garrotte
- isnoose = whether the furniture is a crafted noose
- ispole = whether the furniture is a hanging pole

[/v4.0beta1]

• 3 months later...

Hello sac,

thank you for this nice mod :-)

Question:

I have build the gallow for 3 - assigned 3 settlers to it. Now they are kneeling since hours^^

What triggers or how do i trigger the hanging animation?

Thanks for help

Ava

:)

Yep, they will stay like that until you shoot them with the hanging gun (not the hanging gun IDLE, that's for another purpose). The gallows furniture is there only to let you gather up together up to 3 NPCs for a synced execution, but you need to shoot each of them in order to actually execute them.

The distances are also (roughly) calculated so that, by the time the hanging gun sequence is finished, they are, more or less, properly positioned within the gallows' frame.

Enjoy!

Hello sac,

thanks for the answer :-)

Now its working like a charme^^

This leads me to other questions^^

1. The "Ragdolling" on my victims is very high - is there a way to reduce it? or is the "ragdollforce" a global parameter? I think i have a mod installed that changes the ragdoll force... If it is possible to reduce it for the furniture - maybe for the future a MCM menu with scalable ragdoll force would be a nice idea.

2. The victims are just "hanging" and are "ragdolls" - cause of this the hands are not tied^^ Is it possible to animate a "ragdoll" ? So that the hands are still tied?

3. One of my 3 victims hangs higher then the others.... is this "random"? - cause of this the rope is not fixed under the gallow it sticks through it^^

My questions focus on the physics engine - i try to understand a little bit more - so i can use it for my own mod stuff^^

Thanks for help

Ava

Hello sac,

thanks for the answer :-)

Now its working like a charme^^

This leads me to other questions^^

1. The "Ragdolling" on my victims is very high - is there a way to reduce it? or is the "ragdollforce" a global parameter? I think i have a mod installed that changes the ragdoll force... If it is possible to reduce it for the furniture - maybe for the future a MCM menu with scalable ragdoll force would be a nice idea.

2. The victims are just "hanging" and are "ragdolls" - cause of this the hands are not tied^^ Is it possible to animate a "ragdoll" ? So that the hands are still tied?

3. One of my 3 victims hangs higher then the others.... is this "random"? - cause of this the rope is not fixed under the gallow it sticks through it^^

My questions focus on the physics engine - i try to understand a little bit more - so i can use it for my own mod stuff^^

Thanks for help

Ava

1. Hmm... I've had a lot of trouble (i.e. trial and error, over and over again, literally for days) with ragdolling, and I'm still not satisfied with what I came up with, but I'm just tired of reloading again and again to re-test. I tried to factor in the mass of the body into the ragdolling formula, but it's still wanky. That being said, I do have this mod, so it may well be that, without it, the havok forces are excessive - I don't really know, because I haven't tried it without it. I can tell you that my "hanging gun" is pretty mild (too mild) on ragdolling. Try installing it, see if you get different results. And try hanging some other victims, maybe you get different results, based on their individual mass, which is pretty random. 

If you don't mind recompiling a script, I can tell you where to adjust the forces, maybe you can come up with a better formula.

2. You cannot animate a dead body, sorry, it is a game limitation. It's either ragdoll (when dead), or animation (when alive), you cannot have both. Since I cannot animate myself (don't know how, and don't have the tools), I reused some else's animations to the best of what I could find, and then relied on ragdolling. I wish someone came up with some proper animations, but noone did, so far.

3. Yes, there are (quite a lot of) random factors built into the positioning, in order not to get repetitive. And, if you are using a mod which varies NPCs heights (like "more varied NPCs", or something like that, like I do), then you get a lot of variety, that I just cannot take into account into one unified logic. I tried my best, but you may still get some misalignments (and, partially, that's on purpose). I am satisfied that I was able to build a randomized system, and yet they don't fall out of their nooses (mostly) - that was a particular challenge.

Hi sac,

thanks a lot for your explicit answers :-)

Ok - i see the case - thats what i do as well - try and error^^

Ragdoll vs Animation... Hmmm....

I was quite active in the second life community and the Gallows there are all with animations... and yes i did some animations for second life with Blender and Avastar.

The hanging animations there can be played as a single animation or as a sequence.

In the moment i am setting up my gear for Skyrim... maybe i set it up for FO4 first.... but i struggle with the havoc stuff...

I am willing to make some animations cause they are quite easy to do - cause they need no timing or alignment with a partner...

But this is not for right now - i expect to have my stuff running until the end of the year. I am very picky and busy with other stuff in the moment.

And the question is - does it make sense to go for animations. The ragdolling brings some randomness - the usage of animations could be quite boring after a while...

Something i need to think about^^

Anyway thanks for all the infos so far.

Ava

And the question is - does it make sense to go for animations. The ragdolling brings some randomness - the usage of animations could be quite boring after a while...

Something i need to think about^^

Anyway thanks for all the infos so far.

Ava

You are welcome, anytime! I am happy to have a chat about my work - after all, spent months developing this :))

It's true, ragdolling does make it [somewhat] random - anyway, "random-er" than a fixed animation. However, I would just love to integrate manoose's animations, even if just once in a while, they are truly awesome (if maybe just a little bit slow, but, still, loved them truly, never got tired of watching those cycling feet, so simple and yet so to the point!)

[4.5 beta update]

- removed DLC dependencies, hopefully that will work
- new ESP name, the new name is "noose - distribution.esp" (take care which esp you install and activate)
- adds about 20 outfits, feet pointing down, to be equipped by the victims - victims will have a 50% chance to equip a random noose outfit
- each outfit's feet position has been modified by hand, individually - meaning there can be glitches, meaning some will look better than others, depending on my current disposition when modifying said outfit
- outfits are EVB-based - meaning that, if you have CBBE, the outfit textures will be messed up
- a lot of the outfits are modified Crimsomrider assets, used with permission - check out and endorse his awesome work, and if he has anything to object to the current version of the mod, then I will take that version down
- adds the usual furniture script to the craftable long noose
- if your victims get invisible bodies, that means I fucked up the packaging, let me know

[/4.5 beta update]

• 2 weeks later...

Some way that bodies will not disappear after a few days ingame?

See this: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/85115-make-dead-bodies-persistent/?do=findComment&comment=2014529

Settlement cells don't respawn, so the bodies there are persistent (until you decide to scrap them). 

Sadly, for the other cells, I wasn't able to find a way to both have respawn, and still not have the bodies disappear. So I disabled cell respawn in order to keep the bodies, and I am spawning more NPCs manually. Works reasonably well.

Mod to disable cell respawn (globally): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/704/? (this will keep dead bodies indefinitely)

Mod to prevent the game from purging excess dead body count: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1770/?

Mod to spawn more NPCs (you can customize the leveled lists that it spawns using FO4Edit, I have different versions of the "certificate" to spawn settlers / raiders / gunners): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26030/?

I haven't noticed any performance hit due to dead bodies so far.

Some way that bodies will not disappear after a few days ingame?

See this: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/85115-make-dead-bodies-persistent/?do=findComment&comment=2014529

Settlement cells don't respawn, so the bodies there are persistent (until you decide to scrap them). 

Sadly, for the other cells, I wasn't able to find a way to both have respawn, and still not have the bodies disappear. So I disabled cell respawn in order to keep the bodies, and I am spawning more NPCs manually. Works reasonably well.

Mod to disable cell respawn (globally): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/704/? (this will keep dead bodies indefinitely)

Mod to prevent the game from purging excess dead body count: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1770/?

Mod to spawn more NPCs (you can customize the leveled lists that it spawns using FO4Edit, I have different versions of the "certificate" to spawn settlers / raiders / gunners): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26030/?

I haven't noticed any performance hit due to dead bodies so far.

Just my problem of despawn is in a settlement, it must be some conflict with another mod.

Just my problem of despawn is in a settlement, it must be some conflict with another mod.

Try this first: Mod to disable cell respawn (globally): https://www.nexusmod...out4/mods/704/? (this will keep dead bodies indefinitely)

Not work :(

Not sure why it doesn't work for you, I haven't had any corpse disappearing from my settlements, ever. Could be a conflict with another mod - do you have any scripted mods for settlements? (I don't mean additional decor like homemaker, I mean something like spring clean, or whatever it's called, where the settlers clean away trash from the settlements on their own)

Try this first: Mod to disable cell respawn (globally): https://www.nexusmod...out4/mods/704/? (this will keep dead bodies indefinitely)

Not work :(

Not sure why it doesn't work for you, I haven't had any corpse disappearing from my settlements, ever. Could be a conflict with another mod - do you have any scripted mods for settlements? (I don't mean additional decor like homemaker, I mean something like spring clean, or whatever it's called, where the settlers clean away trash from the settlements on their own)

Yes, I have spring cleaning and the unofficial patch, maybe that's it.

Yes, I have spring cleaning and the unofficial patch, maybe that's it.

I didn't mean Spring Cleaning, that should be harmless. I meant something like this, script-based: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3100/?

Are you sure that they will not disappear to you? what I do to check it is make a fast travel to another location,  wait 3 full days in a chair and to return the bodies are no longer.

Are you sure that they will not disappear to you? what I do to check it is make a fast travel to another location,  wait 3 full days in a chair and to return the bodies are no longer.

Yes, I'm sure. I've got settlements I forget to visit for weeks, and they still have the dead bodies there.