Mods to avoid?

I have had the same issues as Fore with Captured Dreams because I have so many scripts it has been labeled as 'Script Heavy' even though at this point only 2 scripts run constantly and only update once per day. I do have some quests that add some others that run constantly but the time frame for updating is generally counted in hours of game time if not days, any time frames less are done under controlled conditions.

Unfortunately once labeled as a script heavy or problem causing mod it is difficult to get out from under that label and keep being blamed for problems no matter how often it is proven otherwise.

Damn, lost my internet connection and my 2 sites post was gone, maybe i get it again. If i somehow fail to make it clear, it's half an explanation and half an "i'm sorry" statement.

In my experience there are 3 different uses of the phrase "script heavy", and i admit that i don't always make a clear difference in some cases.

1. runs (a lot of) scripts often, that's the most common definition

2. runs  (a lot of) scripts at specific times

3. uses a lot of script instances

About 2: I count CD as wel as POP here. It's worse for POP in my experience, but may happen for both that the scripts started when a quest (or capturing) starts, the amount of scripts started cause stack dumps in my game with my current setup. By no means i want to say that i consider the mod problematic in general, but when i can't be captured or start quests without getting problems, there is no point in using this mod with this specific setup. To play it, i have to reduce the number of mods from category 1.

About 3: i don't know that much about it. I've read that Skyrim has a fix value how many instances may be used during a whole game, i've also read that crash fixes fixed that and that it's not clear how well that fix works. I've also read different things what happens when one gets past that limit, from "crashes happen" to "forget your (save) game, start a new one". I really don't know, but for that case the amount of scripts obviously matters.

What mod is SGO? I have not heard of it though I have not been keeping up with a lot of the mods lately beyond what CD requires. Hentai Pregnancy worked well but it doesn't use NiO so it isn't compatible with other mods that use it and I have not seen a patch to update it or I would have kept it instead.

Forum hates me. Ok, Soul Gem Oven is a mod to get pregnant with soul gems & produce milk. Each race has her own milk, or semen for males. Use cooking stations to get potions with the powers of the races from milk or use it as ingredient for alchemy, semen for alchemy or for impregnation. Of course sex works as well, and you can insert soul gems as well. Works for NPCs, with NiO. Giving birth to soul gems lvls enchantment and milking yourself lvls alchemy, one reason i like to use it for longer games. 

*edit: and i didn't mean to get problems with vanilla quests, it might be only because of point 3, but i have the feeling that progress in vanilla quests makes vanilla Skyrim run more scripts as well. Civil war would be an obvious candidate here, but even without that i think it made a difference if i played some time only mods without even starting the main story, or if i played that as well. At least thy count for category 2. ;)

I have an i5 with 3.2 GH, so with overclocking that might be a point... i don't know how much of a difference that makes for Skyrim. Maybe it's a question of GPU either, i have only one Nvidia 745 GTX.

Processor speed makes a difference since much of Skyrim is CPU bound. I use a liquid cooling system from Corsair that is preassembled. When I started playing Skyrim I had a Core2 Quad Core that was 2.4 ghz stock that I overclocked to 3.6 ghz and ran it at that speed for about 2 years before upgrading. I still have that system running but dialed it down to 3.0 ghz and use it as a file server and it uses the same type of CPU cooler as my current gaming pc.

Skyrim starts and stops a lot of quests which makes the string count vary, most quests are not running at all until needed but CD has all of them set to start at game start since many of them are interconnected so the string count doesn't vary much.

I have had the same issues as Fore with Captured Dreams because I have so many scripts it has been labeled as 'Script Heavy' even though at this point only 2 scripts run constantly and only update once per day. I do have some quests that add some others that run constantly but the time frame for updating is generally counted in hours of game time if not days, any time frames less are done under controlled conditions.

Unfortunately once labeled as a script heavy or problem causing mod it is difficult to get out from under that label and keep being blamed for problems no matter how often it is proven otherwise.

Damn, lost my internet connection and my 2 sites post was gone, maybe i get it again. If i somehow fail to make it clear, it's half an explanation and half an "i'm sorry" statement.

In my experience there are 3 different uses of the phrase "script heavy", and i admit that i don't always make a clear difference in some cases.

1. runs (a lot of) scripts often, that's the most common definition

2. runs  (a lot of) scripts at specific times

3. uses a lot of script instances

About 2: I count CD as wel as POP here. It's worse for POP in my experience, but may happen for both that the scripts started when a quest (or capturing) starts, the amount of scripts started cause stack dumps in my game with my current setup. By no means i want to say that i consider the mod problematic in general, but when i can't be captured or start quests without getting problems, there is no point in using this mod with this specific setup. To play it, i have to reduce the number of mods from category 1.

About 3: i don't know that much about it. I've read that Skyrim has a fix value how many instances may be used during a whole game, i've also read that crash fixes fixed that and that it's not clear how well that fix works. I've also read different things what happens when one gets past that limit, from "crashes happen" to "forget your (save) game, start a new one". I really don't know, but for that case the amount of scripts obviously matters.

What mod is SGO? I have not heard of it though I have not been keeping up with a lot of the mods lately beyond what CD requires. Hentai Pregnancy worked well but it doesn't use NiO so it isn't compatible with other mods that use it and I have not seen a patch to update it or I would have kept it instead.

Forum hates me. Ok, Soul Gem Oven is a mod to get pregnant with soul gems & produce milk. Each race has her own milk, or semen for males. Use cooking stations to get potions with the powers of the races from milk or use it as ingredient for alchemy, semen for alchemy or for impregnation. Of course sex works as well, and you can insert soul gems as well. Works for NPCs, with NiO. Giving birth to soul gems lvls enchantment and milking yourself lvls alchemy, one reason i like to use it for longer games. 

*edit: and i didn't mean to get problems with vanilla quests, it might be only because of point 3, but i have the feeling that progress in vanilla quests makes vanilla Skyrim run more scripts as well. Civil war would be an obvious candidate here, but even without that i think it made a difference if i played some time only mods without even starting the main story, or if i played that as well. At least thy count for category 2. ;)

I have an i5 with 3.2 GH, so with overclocking that might be a point... i don't know how much of a difference that makes for Skyrim. Maybe it's a question of GPU either, i have only one Nvidia 745 GTX.

Processor speed makes a difference since much of Skyrim is CPU bound. I use a liquid cooling system from Corsair that is preassembled. When I started playing Skyrim I had a Core2 Quad Core that was 2.4 ghz stock that I overclocked to 3.6 ghz and ran it at that speed for about 2 years before upgrading. I still have that system running but dialed it down to 3.0 ghz and use it as a file server and it uses the same type of CPU cooler as my current gaming pc.

Skyrim starts and stops a lot of quests which makes the string count vary, most quests are not running at all until needed but CD has all of them set to start at game start since many of them are interconnected so the string count doesn't vary much.

I assume there is no limit to CPU speed like for usage of RAM, but then again i guess it's limited how many/how well Skyrim handles multi core systems, in my experience many older games run much better on CPUs with few strong cores, but it's been... ages since i really tested that. ;)

And for stack dumps: yes, so far i know. ;) What i mean is... (totally made up example) let's say, my CPU can process 50 scripts per second. When captured by POP, it runs 25 scripts during capturing. When my game runs 20 scripts per second all the time, and 3 scripts every 2 seconds, and 3 scripts every 5 seconds, chances are that i get stack dumps most times i'm captured. I know that doesn't make POP bad, or script heavy in the usual meaning, but it does mean i can't really use it with a setup which runs that much scripts all the time.

I either have to avoid POP or start a new game with a different mod list.

What's with all this talk about Footprints causing CTDs?

Is it really that unstable? I have it active in my load order and there certainly are a few CTDs now and then that I can't pin down the cause of so I'm curious what lets you say that Footprints causes trouble.

Is it really that unstable? I have it active in my load order and there certainly are a few CTDs now and then that I can't pin down the cause of so I'm curious what lets you say that Footprints causes trouble.

Probably depends on how big your feet are. :dodgy:

Because it basically places and item or image for each footstep which has a timer as to how long it will last so it ends up with a lot of individual scripts running.

Because it basically places and item or image for each footstep which has a timer as to how long it will last so it ends up with a lot of individual scripts running.

I know, I was joking. :D

With very few exceptions there are no mods to avoid. The two things I personally would recommend are

• Disable XPMSE.esp. If you are not making use of the "extra features" bundled with the skeleton, this esp is 100% unneeded.
  • If you use Estrus Chaurus: Disable zzEstrus.esp in your load order. It's totally unnecessary for the animations to work and buggy as hell.

As for the other mods - use common sense. If you install really every mod you think you could remotely like, chances are that you're clogging the engine and stuff will go to hell. Pick the mods you really want and try to get informed how resource intensive they really are. Some people with very little actual knowledge about these things tend to badmouth mods as performance hogs just because there are lots of scripts in them. A classic example for this is Captured Dreams. It has lots of scripts, but it leaves next to no footprint on the engine, because the vast majority of these scripts is used by quests only. CD actually doesn't do all that much if you're not playing its quests, but this doesn't keep some people from pointing fingers at that mod.

The challenge really is to tell good advice from bad, which isn't always easy.

Another popular misconception is the idea of certain programming techniques used by a mod automatically resulting in a mod to avoid. SLA is a frequent victim of that, for its usage of methods that - if applied by somebody who doesn't know what they are doing - can lead to problems. The author of SLA knows what he is doing though - SLA is pretty much safe to use.

As for the actual performance intensive mods - they are STILL safe to use, but you need to make a conscious decision on WHICH ones to use. If you install a dozen of them at the same time, you shouldn't be surprised if things aren't working so well anymore. Chose wisely!

One other general piece of advice is - look at when the mod was last updated. If it didn't receive updates for more than six months, check the mods' support thread to find out if its still safe to use. Many older mods are still totally fine to use, but some got broken over time (mostly by other mods updating) and really should be avoided. This is e.g. true for some older DD mods that were written for older versions of the framework.

Kimy,

" . .  use common sense" There's the problem right there. Common sense isn't that common any more.  One sees it all the time on this forum that many people don't understand the basics of trouble-shooting. And I mean trouble-shooting in a generic sense not just mods or games.

Apart from some old mods that were abandoned before they were finished, there are very few 'bad' mods out there. Lots of bad choices, and I've made a few myself. A lot of reading and a fair bit of trial and error and I have arrived at a core group of mods which I'm happy with and Skyrim is happy with. I continually try different mods and chop and change mid-game and somethimes it goes tits up. Mostly it doesn't and in any case I always have roll-back save up my sleeve.

So far with the latest version I have not had the same Alias issues I did before, the errors I have had have been minimal and not repeating like they were before so I am thinking that it may be working better. I will say that I installed it after all the other mods were set up so you may want to install it after the rest of the mods initialize.

The only mod I am seeing multiple issues with is DCUR actually which is odd as I didn't have them before. DCUR hit me with an Estrus tentacle attack and again during the pregnancy from the first one and ended up with errors from the Estrus Chaurus scripts and ended up popping out 31 eggs when the pregnancy was up.

Thanks Vel, I'll give that version of BF a try then.

There's been problems with DCUR and Estrus for a while now (since around v4.6 iirc when the slime/ooze animations were added). The pregnancy chance slider stopped working and the ooze/slime animations break RND. That was also an issue with the other Estrus animations in the earlier version but neither Kimy or Bane Master can remember how it was fixed.

Never mind on Being Female, it is starting to throw errors regularly again, not the same as the last ones but they are still regularly there.

Footprints run a shit ton of scripts/checks and does not clean them up well, which is pretty much the crux of the issue at hand:

How well scripted the mod is

How many conditions or dependencies checks does the mod need per action or per npc, how clean is any nesting or recursion

How well does it unhook from things after meeting conditions and running whatever scripts/actions/behaviors

Use common sense.

x3+ on Kimy's advice.

Generally, there are very few 'bad' mods.

It is, however, very easy to break your game with mods.

How?

9/10 times, it's because you fucked something up. Didn't follow the install/uninstall instructions correctly, didn't tidy your load order, etc.

Of the remaining 1/10, I would guess that 9/10 of them isn't the fault of the mods either. It's a conflict issue where two mods are trying to do similar things and one/both are getting confused. Neither mod is faulty, you just can't run both of them at once.

• A bit of thoroughness and patience will get you a long way, and generally save you time in the long run.
  • If there is a 'how to' guide out there (And there probably is), read it.
  • Check the mod for install instuctions and known conflict/compatability issues.

A little bit of care as you do it will itself back in not trying to understand wierd and confusing problems.

...All that said, you also need to accept that things won't always go to plan. If you are going to mod your game heavily, sooner or later you WILL break it. You will be able to fix it, but it can involve reinstalling from scratch or writing off a savegame as dead.

Top tips from me:

Wyre Bash is big and clever. Even if you don't use the bash patch, it's the best tool I have found for catching load order issues. Just look down the left hand side and investigate any mod that doesn't have a green ticky box next to it.

The STEP guide is also big and clever. Lots of stability tips and common patch mods there. Even if you don't do a full STEP build, you should check it out and follow the setup notes for .ini files and ENBoost etc.

NMM is not the monster everyone says it is. However, it is fussy about install/uninstall orders - if you remove mods in a different order to the order you added them in it can break and take your game with it.

Oh, and get stuck in. Skyrim is a very mature game now with LOTS of BLOODY AWESOME mod content out there. Don't be afraid of messing around because everyone is saying how difficult it is. Yes, sooner or later you will break it. But you will have a lot of fun getting there, and you can always reinstall.

Footprints run a shit ton of scripts/checks and does not clean them up well, which is pretty much the crux of the issue at hand:

How well scripted the mod is

How many conditions or dependencies checks does the mod need per action or per npc, how clean is any nesting or recursion

How well does it unhook from things after meeting conditions and running whatever scripts/actions/behaviors

Ok, thx. Will deactivate it, "clean" the save and see if the game gets more stable.

So far with the latest version I have not had the same Alias issues I did before, the errors I have had have been minimal and not repeating like they were before so I am thinking that it may be working better. I will say that I installed it after all the other mods were set up so you may want to install it after the rest of the mods initialize.

The only mod I am seeing multiple issues with is DCUR actually which is odd as I didn't have them before. DCUR hit me with an Estrus tentacle attack and again during the pregnancy from the first one and ended up with errors from the Estrus Chaurus scripts and ended up popping out 31 eggs when the pregnancy was up.

There's been problems with DCUR and Estrus for a while now (since around v4.6 iirc when the slime/ooze animations were added). The pregnancy chance slider stopped working and the ooze/slime animations break RND. That was also an issue with the other Estrus animations in the earlier version but neither Kimy or Bane Master can remember how it was fixed.

Never mind on Being Female, it is starting to throw errors regularly again, not the same as the last ones but they are still regularly there.

Thanks for letting me know Vel, I'm building a new game atm so I'll need to decide whether to take a chance or stick with the old v1.14. Having said that the old version throws papyrus errors but didn't seem to upset gameplay.

Were the errors you were seeing serious or just missing properties/variable type of errors which though annoying are not game breaking?

My totally unsolicited two cents: watch for mods that dynamically and rapidly create and remove objects, especially npcs. They can cause otherwise well coded mods to throw a tizzy fit when they try to instantiate a script on an object that has already been destroyed. They're annoying to troubleshoot, because the error typically shows up in the mod that threw the script, not the mod yanking the rug out from under the first mod.

Things to watch for: 1) Stack dumps in the papyrus log. 2) Lots of instances of "::temp" objects called out in your papyrus log 3) Stack dumps where most of the suspended frames refer to ::temp objects). 4) Quests failing to fill aliases in the story manager log.

Thanks for letting me know Vel, I'm building a new game atm so I'll need to decide whether to take a chance or stick with the old v1.14. Having said that the old version throws papyrus errors but didn't seem to upset gameplay.

Were the errors you were seeing serious or just missing properties/variable type of errors which though annoying are not game breaking?

They didn't seem game breaking but since I am testing Chaste Life I disabled the player content and cut the NCP options down to the bare minimum so basically they could have sex (or for what passes for it in BF) and have kids, fairly minimal. If you want to try it I would not activate it at start up but get everything else set, make a save then activate it and play with it a bit and monitor your logs so if it does cause a lot of issues then backing out from it is not a problem as the uninstall feature on it does not work entirely well.

If I disable an NPC what happens to their scripts and any other gubbins associated with them (sandbox and voice packages etc)?

Example: If I disable Belrand it obviously means that there is one less NPC to place in the inn but what about his script and other stuff? Is that still there in the background or is that also removed? I'm thinking in terms of lightening the load on the game.

With very few exceptions there are no mods to avoid. The two things I personally would recommend are

• Disable XPMSE.esp. If you are not making use of the "extra features" bundled with the skeleton, this esp is 100% unneeded.
  • If you use Estrus Chaurus: Disable zzEstrus.esp in your load order. It's totally unnecessary for the animations to work and buggy as hell.

I wasn't aware of this, I have looked at XPMSE again but I'm not clear on what the esp actually does, is it just for the weapon scaling, Racemenu sliders, and such?

I wasn't aware of this, I have looked at XPMSE again but I'm not clear on what the esp actually does, is it just for the weapon scaling, Racemenu sliders, and such?

Yes it's all the sliders and weapon placements, so if you're not going to use them there's no point activating the esp.

Personally I have a cut down version I made without the esp and most of the scripts though if you go for this approach you do need to keep the library file if you use Estrus Chaurus + as it's used for a version check

and never remove a mod in a middle of a playthrough.

I constantly do just that and I don't have any problems with it.

But I also always use Hadoram's save cleaner tool to remove the scripts a mod baked into the savegame before removing the mod itself.

And I don't wait for x hours ingame and resave or something.

I just delete the scripts and forms and so on from the savegame (looking up the naming convention used in the mod's script folder helps, as does using the "mod editor"), then delete the mod itself, then load the savegame, wait a little bit and resave. Done.

Using Mod Organizer to be sure that the order in which you installed, moved and uninstalled stuff doesn't matter certainly helps too.

Crash Fixes and Continue Game No Crash also greatly improved the stability when loading a game for me.

They didn't seem game breaking but since I am testing Chaste Life I disabled the player content and cut the NCP options down to the bare minimum so basically they could have sex (or for what passes for it in BF) and have kids, fairly minimal. If you want to try it I would not activate it at start up but get everything else set, make a save then activate it and play with it a bit and monitor your logs so if it does cause a lot of issues then backing out from it is not a problem as the uninstall feature on it does not work entirely well.

Hmm would not leaving to last potentially cause an issue with all the form id's as it's an esm so will shunt all the esp's down by one once it's added?

I assume it's not that much of a problem as I build a game up a few mods at a time so they will move about in the build proecess.

Hmm would not leaving to last potentially cause an issue with all the form id's as it's an esm so will shunt all the esp's down by one once it's added?

I assume it's not that much of a problem as I build a game up a few mods at a time so they will move about in the build proecess.

I had no issues with other mods due to the position change, I have changed the load order mid game for a number of mods and never had an issue so long as the mods load after their master's. Overall it is no different than adding a mod mid game, I have done it a number of times but it can't be one that may modify another mod as the changes may not work correctly. Generally I create an initial save game just after setting up all the MCM menu's while in the Alternate Start dungeon and use it as a base point for any new games, I added BF at this point. Generally the only time I start a brand new game is if updating a mod in the initial start requires an all new game or if I am removing one of those mods entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no issues with other mods due to the position change, I have changed the load order mid game for a number of mods and never had an issue so long as the mods load after their master's. Overall it is no different than adding a mod mid game, I have done it a number of times but it can't be one that may modify another mod as the changes may not work correctly. Generally I create an initial save game just after setting up all the MCM menu's while in the Alternate Start dungeon and use it as a base point for any new games, I added BF at this point. Generally the only time I start a brand new game is if updating a mod in the initial start requires an all new game or if I am removing one of those mods entirely.

I normally keep a seed game as well but I've had a lot of mod changes so went for a rebuild from scratch. I wussed out in the end on BF and stuck to the old version v1.14 as I know that works (though with a few faults).

How's it going with v2.81 I've seen some issues raised about abnormal log entries in the BF thread a while back

I normally keep a seed game as well but I've had a lot of mod changes so went for a rebuild from scratch. I wussed out in the end on BF and stuck to the old version v1.14 as I know that works (though with a few faults).

How's it going with v2.81 I've seen some issues raised about abnormal log entries in the BF thread a while back

Currently I am not seeing any errors during play with BF though I did turn off everything that was not necessary to getting pregnant for the player and npc's.

Archived