View File

Wayshrines of Old is a simple plugin that adds remnants of the second era, wayshrines, as an alternate method of travel. 

• An up to date, legal copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim + Dawnguard and Dragonborn.
  • (Optional) SKSE
  • (Optional) SkyUI

Checked and cleaned with TES5Edit.

Core Features
Transitus Network

Unlike the shrines constructed by the snow elves, these shrines function off of a Transitus network; which relies on flaming braziers that regular mortals can use. Whether or not it costs anything is up to you! 

Activation Costs
By default, traveling between shrines is free of charge. However, if you wanted to spice things up a little, you have the option to charge the player 500 Gold, one full Grand Soul Gem or a Dragon Soul. Additionally you have the option to enable all of them at once but they will vary from shrine to shrine. Click here to read more about this.

Discovery
Before you can go on any adventures you first need to discover some shrines. Every location can be found inside of the following categories: Hold Capitals, Towns, Settlements, Orc Strongholds, and Unique Locations. In order for any locations to show up, you will need to discover the shrines in those locations. Otherwise, the only options you will see is ‘More’ or ‘Exit’.

Alternatively, you can unlock almost all locations through an optional cheat which can found in the book “Configure Wayshrines” or the Mod Configuration Menu. The exception being the shrines located in Blackreach and the Soul Cairn, which were intentionally left out to not break the quests that unlock those locations. If you want to reach them, you are going to have to discover them on foot.

Travel
Travel is now instantaneous. 

Configuration
Take charge of how the shrines operate in your game by configuring options through the book “Configure Wayshrines” or theMod Configuration Menu.

The book will be added to your inventory whenever you load a save for the first time. Make sure you do not lose your copy of the book as you will not be given another one the next time you load the save. In case you ever lose your copy of the book, open the console, type help ws_configuration_book, add the book to your inventory with the following code player.additem xxxIDofBook. Alternatively, you can use AddItemMenu – Ultimate Mod Explorer by Towawot to add it to your inventory.

Both more or less offer the same options so it doesn’t really matter which one you use. However, do not use both simultaneously as it will only create problems. Simply use one or the other. If you are going to switch from one to the other MAKE SURE that you reset all options to their DEFAULT options.

Locations

Hold Capitals
Riften
Solitude
Whiterun
Windhelm
Winterhold
Morthal
Falkreath
Dawnstar
Markarth

Towns
Riverwood
Ivarstead
Shors Stone
Rorikstead
Karthwasten

Settlements
Stonehills
Darkwater Crossing
Old Hroaldahn Inn
Whistling Mine
Nightgate Inn

Orc Strongholds
Dushnik Yal
Largashbur
Narzulbur
Mor Khazghur

Unique Locations
High Hrothgar
Skaal Village
Raven Rock
Castle Volkihar
Soul Cairn
Dayspring Canyon
Tel Mithryn
Eldergleam Sanctuary
Blackreach

Frequently Asked Questions
What are wayshrines?
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wayshrines

How is this different from SWIFT?
Both aim to do similar but implementation is where these two differ. Click here to read more about this.

Carriages make these redundant.
This is an alternative, no different to the other alternatives that already exist i.e travelling on foot, riding a mount, hiring a boat or fast travel. They are only redundant if you make them that way.

No options show up when I click into one of the categories!
If the only options you see are “More” and “Exit” it means you have not discovered any locations inside of that category.

How do I configure settings?
A book will be added to your inventory called “Configure Wayshrines”. When you read the book, a window with the tabs More Information, Activation Costs, and Unlock All Locations will appear. Click into the relevant tabs to the options you want to configure.

Alternatively if you have SKSE and SkyUI installed, you can configure the same options through the Mod Configuration Menu.

However, do not use both simultaneously as it will only create problems. Simply use one or the other. If you are going to switch from one to the other MAKE SURE that you reset all options to their DEFAULT options.

Why are there no options to travel to Dragons Bridge or Kynesgrove?
The reason there are no shrines for either location is because they are already close to shrines for other locations. If you want to travel to Dragonbridge, you will have to travel to the shrine for Solitude. Similarly, you will need to travel to the shrine for Windhelm to reach Kynesgrove.

Why can I not unlock the option to travel to Blackreach or Soul Cairn?
I intentionally made it this way to avoid breaking the quests that unlock those locations. Unfortunately for you, It’s also not possible to unlock them with the console either.  Again, if you want to reach them you are going to have to discover them on foot.

Elder Scrolls Online is not canon!
See below.

How is this lore friendly?
Not keen on my take of Wayshrines? Not a problem, check out the following alternatives that may be more to your tastes. 

The only reason I bothered with this project is because I was inspired by the diverse range of wayshrines in Elder Scrolls Online. That being the case, this never had a chance at being lore friendly. If you are looking for something that fits into the world a little better, try any of the alternatives that I attached before.

Will texture overhauls affect the shrines?
Yes. However it will not affect the shrine in Karthwasten.

Can you add x location?
Please comment below with your suggestion and I’ll see what I can do.

Is this compatible with x?
Click here to read more about this.

Known Bugs
Unfortunately followers will no longer accompany you when you travel between shrines. To get around this, I recommend using one of the following tools to summon your followers:

• Extensive Follower Framework
  • Amazing Follower Tweaks
  • Ultimate Follower Overhaul
  • Summon Followers

Credits

• ZeniMax Online Studios for The Elder Scrolls Online which serves as the inspiration for this entire project.
  • Bethesda Softworks for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition / Special Edition and the Creation Kit.
  • Massive thank you to Billyro and DSoS. Seriously, if not for these two I doubt this project would have ever seen the light of day.
  • Billyro for all his efforts in creating the normal and specular maps, brazier, and the snow variant of the former nordic wayshrine.
  • DSoS for all of his aid in helping me create the fast travel and activation cost framework.
  • Schlangster for providing the resources (SkyUI SDK) needed to create a Mod Configuration Menu.
  • DarkFox127 for his tutorial on how to create a Mod Configuration Menu on Youtube.
  • Hanaisse for teaching me the ropes on how to add collision to meshes with NifUtilsSuite.
  • CyborgArmGun for  general maintenance, asset optimization, and Bash tagging the ESP.
  • MannyGT for the assets from The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal.
  • Tamira for the assets from Antique Statue.
  • Earrindo for the assets from Telvanni Tower Resource Pack.
  • Tamu75 for the assets from Moss Shader Resource.
  • Tileable Pergola Wood Texture by ftourini on deviantART
  • Arthmoor, Arron Dominion, Enai Siaion, Undriel, WalkingMassOfComplexes, Winterlove, and everyone else in the community for all of their suggestions to help further improve this project.
  • Meshes modified with Blender 2.78a+, NifUtilsSuite and NifSkope.
  • Textures modified with Paint.NET.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/22/2017
  • Category
  • Requires
  • Special Edition Compatible
    Not Applicable

COMPATIBILITY NOTES

Towns, Cities and Hamlets: 

- Open Cities: Compatible with the Wayshrines of Old - Open Cities patch. 

- Legendary Cities - Tes Arena - Skyrim Frontier Fortress by Jabr: Compatible with the Wayshrines of Old - TES Cities patch. 

- Dawn of Skyrim (Original): Compatible.

- Dawn of Skyrim (Director's Cut): Compatible.

- Expanded Towns and Cities: Compatible.

- Immersive Settlements + Immersive Settlements: Solstheim: Compatible.

- JK's Riften: Compatible.

- JK's Skyrim + Lite + Super Lite: Compatible.

- JK's Skaal Village: Compatible.

- Dragonbridge (Arthmoor): Compatible.

- Raven Rock Expanded: Compatible.

- Winterhold Expanded: Compatible.

- Beautiful Riften: Compatible.

- Nernie's City and Village Expansion: Compatible.

- Dawnstar Expanded: Compatible.

- Trees in Cities: Compatible.

- Perfect Falkreath: Compatible.

- Falkreath Reborn: Compatible.

- Whiterun Expansion: Compatible.

- The Great City of Winterhold: Compatible.

Environmental: 

- The Great Forest of Whiterun Hold: Compatible. 

- Verdant: Partially incompatible. Grass clips through the platforms in some areas.

NPCs 

- Immersive Citizens: Not fully tested.

- Extensive Follower Framework (4.0.2): Compatible.

- Amazing Follower Tweaks: Not tested.

- UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul: Not tested.

Player Homes

- Elysium Estate: Compatible.

- Skaal you Need - Skaal House and Follower (Elianora): Compatible.

- Immersive and Customizable Volkihar: Compatible.

- Enhanced Castle Volkihar: Compatible.

- Castle Volkihar Rebuilt: Compatible.

- Skystone Castle: Compatible.

- Moonstone Castle: Compatible.

Immersion

- Alternate Start - Live Another Life: Compatible.

- Prince Shroob's Main Quest Delayer: Compatible.

- Skyrim Wayshrines - Immersive Fast Travel - Swift: Compatible.

- Simply No Fast Travel: Compatible.

- Campfire + Frostfall: Compatible. 

- Touring Carriages: Not tested.

Other

- ESO Skyshards (Arthmoor): Compatible.

- Dolmen Ruins - ESO Dark Anchors (Arthmoor): Compatible.

What is the difference with Skyrim Wayshrine - Immersive fast travel ? Is it the same concept behind both mod? Are they made to be used together? Could they be linked together?(allow shrines from one mod to go to the other). I like that there are some in the Dragonborn DLC that were not in Skyrim wayshrine. Keep up the good work ;-)

Hi! Thank you!  Yes, it's the basically the same concept but implemented differently. (: 

So far, these are are the two things that set it apart:

• This does not rely on SKSE.
  • Most  shrines were either made entirely from scratch/mashed up from Vanilla Assets.

This project was made with SWIFT in mind as it adds more shrines - even more specifically, snow elven styled shrines - which helps to add more  diversity in-game. It is possible for them to be linked but I would need to get in touch with Pharros to see if he would be onboard with it. 

• 5 months later...

No release just yet, but bit of a preview of what I have got :)

New in 1.0

To-Do-List

• Finish Nordic Wayshrine Remodel

• Add more shrines

• Add more blessings

Later down the line

• Activation Quest

• Random Encounters

Notes

• I intend on releasing a "Director's Cut" which focuses on the core aspects: Discovery, Instant Travel, Soul Gem Activation and fewer locations)

• The differences between SWIFT and Wayshrines of Old: Clicky.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What can be found in the update?

• More Locations that have been sorted into the following categories: Hold Capitals, Towns, Settlements, Orc Strongholds, Unique Locations. Click here to see the full list of locations.
  • Discovery: Before you can go on any adventures you first need to discover some shrines. Every location can be found inside of categories and in order for any locations to show up, you will need to discover the shrines at those locations. Otherwise, the only thing you will see inside in any of the categories is ‘More’ or ‘Exit’. If you have no interest in this, you can unlock all locations through an optional cheat which can found in the book “Configure the Wayshrines” or the Mod Configuration Menu.
  • Activation Costs: By default, travelling between shrines is free of charge. However, if you wanted to spice things up a little, you have the option to charge the player 500 Gold or one full Grand Soul Gem.
  • Travel is now instantaneous. Unfortuntely, followers will no longer accompany you as you travel. I recommend using a plugin that managers followers like Extensive Follower Framework to bring followers with you.
  • Configuration: Take charge of how the shrines operate in your game by configuring options through the book “Configure the Wayshrines” or a mod configuration menu.
  • Blessings of the Nine Divines: Taking a page out-of-the-way Wayshrines are handled in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, these shrines will bless the player with blessings similar to the ones in Oblivion. (Only partially implemented, not recommended that you use it. See more about this below)

Why is this an ALPHA?

While the core of the update is essentially ready to go, all that is left to do is polish up the file. I know I have been saying that for a while but it truly is the case. Some features like the Blessings of the Nine Divines as well as the option to have a variation of activation costs active a time, are only partially implemented. Meaning you can activate them but only a small handful of shrines will be affected.

So far the blessings are just duplicates of the vanilla blessings as I have yet to figure out how I want to tackle this. While the blessings from Oblivion were relatively simple, I would like my blessings to be a step up from vanilla but not to the point where they give the player infinite power, all the while keeping true the blessings from Oblivion.  I do not recommend enabling this feature for the time being because of how bare bones it is, but the option is still there if you want to take a look at what is to come.

In regards to the other feature, it only really affects one brazier that the player will not have access to in normal gameplay (as it’s more or less a dummy for testing purposes). I do not recommend enabling this feature (it can only be turned on through the MCM for the moment as I have yet to add it to the book) for the time being because it renders the shrines in the world unusable.

The other thing that I need to work on, which is probably not as important as the other two, is that some shrines may look really bare bones. I do not want to go overboard with the decor but I also would like that they have some sort of decor to show they belong to certain holds. If you have any suggestions on how I could go about this, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I would like to hear your feedback on how I can improve upon this. :smile:

Further reading that I suggest you knock over before you download the ALPHA:

The ALPHA is for LE however it will work with SSE if you re-save the file in the Creation Kit and optimize the meshes with Ousnius’ NIF Converter.

I have attached the file to the post, or alternatively  you can download the ALPHA from the page on the site. Links can be found below:

Wayshrines of Old LE ALPHA.zip

Wayshrines of Old - Alt. Fast Travel Network

Some images:

88039-1513429579-1419181450.png

88039-1513429461-144266076.png

88039-1513429397-797471282.png

88039-1513429459-1096347738.png

More to come!

1 minute ago, tuxagent7 said:

Great happy holidays, i will be sure to include this in my new game that i am preparing

Happy holidays to you as well. Let me know if you have any problems with it. :smiley:

3 minutes ago, tuxagent7 said:

Oh just one more thing what do you mean by the follower not following you anymore ?

While i travel with the shrine, they will the travelling at foot ? they will disconnect ?

If you travel from one shrine to another, your follower will not come with you. Unfortunately, this a side effect of redoing the system to make travel instantaneous. :frown:

Hi

Well i wanted to tell you that i started my new game and i have discovered the wayshrine near white run and the other at High hrothgar

I like having to discover them to use them to connect them between themselves, i think they are well place

The menu is working well also the mcm I travelled back and forth and it rocks

You my man are doing quite a good job with this mod and i will surely love the updates

I test mods while playing so at the moment i cant say that there is a bug, it is well done

I feel that the wayshrines will contribute great for my game

thanks again