About uploading mods of mods...

purenexus

So, a while back I downloaded a mod from here. A very, very well made mod.

But it did have a bit of an issue; It didn't have many options. Sure, it had all of the in game (racemenu) options working, but I mean pre-install options. (different texture variations, etc), as well as some compatibility additions for it to play nicer with other mods.

I want to change that, and make some more content for it. 

But, I don't know how the rules work around here regarding making mods of existing mods. And since I am new(ish) around here, I really don't want to start off with a bad rep of stealing or anything.

Basically, is there any special steps that need to be taken when making mods of other mods? Or can they just be posted here normally?

I know I haven't posted much here (I usually lurk), but I am trying to start being more active, and this is part of that.

If the mod/files you are uploading contains any of the authors assets in it then you would have to have their permission before uploading it.

If you are just uploading file you can upload it but link to the authors mod and state that you need their mod of your file to work as long as it's not a file from the author that you altered as you would need permission.

Depends waiit 2 weeks if he does not responds , upload it.

There is a chance he/she will literally freak-out and get solid butthurt which might lead to spiral tantrum on the various forums.

he needs to read the included readme first even if after 2 weeks no response but the credits part  says no upload he cant upload.

So, a while back I downloaded a mod from here. A very, very well made mod.

But it did have a bit of an issue; It didn't have many options. Sure, it had all of the in game (racemenu) options working, but I mean pre-install options. (different texture variations, etc), as well as some compatibility additions for it to play nicer with other mods.

I want to change that, and make some more content for it. 

But, I don't know how the rules work around here regarding making mods of existing mods. And since I am new(ish) around here, I really don't want to start off with a bad rep of stealing or anything.

Basically, is there any special steps that need to be taken when making mods of other mods? Or can they just be posted here normally?

I know I haven't posted much here (I usually lurk), but I am trying to start being more active, and this is part of that.

Well for starters you need to check with this site rule first if anything you do is not breaching it in anyway your good to go.

Also if the mod author explicitly says no modification allowed you can still modify his files but you cant upload here.

Archived