Original Ikkitousen Names in Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

YvesEffini

Hello you all. I'm new here and I didn't know where to post this. As a matter of fact, this is my first post ever on this website. Anyway, is anyone interested in reverting the localized names to the original Ikkitousen (Battle Vixens) names (i.e Guan Yu to Kanu Unchou, Lu Bu to Ryoufu Housen, and Sun Ce to Hakufu Sonsaku). I wish I could do it myself, but I have nowhere to start in modding games like this. Oh and in celebration of my first post, have a Kanu gif.

post-1167576-0-25387400-1491513813_thumb.gif

This is actually something I wanted to do, and did (for Kanu).  Simply replace all the old names with the new in the "GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat" file. 

The Switch screen graphic names are under "GameData\Ui" in the files "chr_name_sXX.cat" and chr_eff_nameXX.cat".  I swapped them out with other textures from the same resource under the "C" or "K" folder.

P.S. Thanks for using tags on the thread.

post-78415-0-66057900-1491521642_thumb.png

post-78415-0-71251100-1491521660_thumb.png

post-78415-0-54790800-1491521684_thumb.png

This is actually something I wanted to do, and did (for Kanu).  Simply replace all the old names with the new in the "GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat" file. 

The Switch screen graphic names are under "GameData\Ui" in the files "chr_name_sXX.cat" and chr_eff_nameXX.cat".  I swapped them out with other textures from the same resource under the "C" or "K" folder.

Nice! If there's a way I can contribute, let me know. I really wanted this to happen since the announcement of the Ikkitousen DLC. It just didn't feel right with the original ROTTK names (I really wanted to get into the novels/games by the way) on the characters I know and loved for so long. Reiterating, if there's any way I can contribute, please don't hesitate to let me know.

And you're welcome for the tags on the thread thing.

Thanks for this! I've been wanted to do this. Is it possible to change Sun Ce to Sonsaku in that text cat file? I ended up using Hakufu because Sonsaku is too long and it feels weird if I use Sonsak.

Great idea! I'm a fan of all the Ikkitousen Saga and the names in the SKEV game upset me.

Thanks for this! I've been wanted to do this. Is it possible to change Sun Ce to Sonsaku in that text cat file?

I ended up using Hakufu because Sonsaku is too long and it feels weird if I use Sonsak.

If can be useful, as long as you use the names and not surnames, are short enough

Kanu , Ryoufu (or Ryōfu) and Hakufu

This is actually something I wanted to do, and did (for Kanu). Simply replace all the old names with the new in the "GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat" file.

The Switch screen graphic names are under "GameData\Ui" in the files "chr_name_sXX.cat" and chr_eff_nameXX.cat".

I swapped them out with other textures from the same resource under the "C" or "K" folder.

But why you have modified the files in "C" and "K" folders and not only the files in GameData\Ui ?

And just for me to understand, what do you mean with "other textures", from where?

Great idea! I'm a fan of all the Ikkitousen Saga and the names in the SKEV game upset me.

Thanks for this! I've been wanted to do this. Is it possible to change Sun Ce to Sonsaku in that text cat file?

I ended up using Hakufu because Sonsaku is too long and it feels weird if I use Sonsak.

If can be useful, as long as you use the names and not surnames, are short enough

Kanu , Ryoufu (or Ryōfu) and Hakufu

This is actually something I wanted to do, and did (for Kanu). Simply replace all the old names with the new in the "GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat" file.

The Switch screen graphic names are under "GameData\Ui" in the files "chr_name_sXX.cat" and chr_eff_nameXX.cat".

I swapped them out with other textures from the same resource under the "C" or "K" folder.

But why you have modified the files in "C" and "K" folders and not only the files in GameData\Ui ?

And just for me to understand, what do you mean with "other textures", from where?

Yeah, for now I'm using Ryofu, Kanū, and Hakufu, but whocares8128 is working on a tool so we can easily patch it and will be able to use Sonsaku. Let's wait for it.

What he mean was, you can copy files from GameData\Ui\C to GameData\Ui. Try it yourself, you will understand. The files to copy are:

chr_eff_name30.cat

chr_eff_name31.cat

chr_eff_name32.cat

chr_name_s30.cat

chr_name_s31.cat

chr_name_s32.cat

After, you copied it, you can go to character's selection screen to check it.

What he mean was, you can copy files from GameData\Ui\C to GameData\Ui. Try it yourself, you will understand. The files to copy are:

chr_eff_name30.cat

chr_eff_name31.cat

chr_eff_name32.cat

chr_name_s30.cat

chr_name_s31.cat

chr_name_s32.cat

It's not a copy is an overwrite, is that what I don't understand. Anyways I'll try something with these files, thank you.

chr_eff_name30.cat

chr_eff_name31.cat

chr_eff_name32.cat

chr_name_s30.cat

chr_name_s31.cat

chr_name_s32.cat

It's not a copy is an overwrite, is that what I don't understand. Anyways I'll try something with these files, thank you.

Yeah, it's an overwrite. Sorry for my bad English. Haha..

And why overwrite from Gamedata\Ui\C and not use the normal files from GameData\Ui ?

Because they only change names on English UI. In Chinese and Korean UI, they are using original Japanese names. That's why you can use files from K too, but it will be in hangul instead of kanji.

post-318907-0-99556700-1491761633_thumb.jpg

post-318907-0-48525900-1491761655_thumb.jpg

I forgot one important thing. How can I modify these files? With a normal HEX editor I can't or I've not idea how to do.

For Ui files, you just need to overwrite, no need to edit.

For text files, you can use any hex editor, then replace their names. For example I'm using HxD, just replace Lu Bu with Ryofu. It's easy if it has same length (space included), like Lu Bu > Ryofu and Sun Ce > Hakufu, but it's a bit tricky if it has different length, like Guan Yu > Kan'u or Sun Ce > Sonsaku.

If you want, I can give you my files, but I'm using Ryofu, Kanū (I'm using this because they use Kanū in UI files instead of Kan'u), and Hakufu. But I suggest to wait for whocares8128 to release his tool, it will be easier and we can use Sonsaku for Sun Ce's name.

I know a little bit of japanese at least in western alphabet

and Kanu is more correct than Kan'u (and Kanū is wrong) also is better Ryōfu or Ryoufu (and Ryofu is wrong)

Plus, Sonsaku is her surname then we should use Hakufu , since you have used first names for the others.

Anyways I have to overwrite these from Gamedata\Ui\C

chr_eff_name30.cat
chr_eff_name31.cat
chr_eff_name32.cat
chr_name_s30.cat
chr_name_s31.cat
chr_name_s32.cat

And then which text files I have to edit? I'm really confused.

I know a little bit of japanese at least in western alphabet

and Kanu is more correct than Kan'u (and Kanū is wrong) also is better Ryōfu or Ryoufu (and Ryofu is wrong)

Plus, Sonsaku is her surname then we should use Hakufu , since you have used first names for the others.

Anyways I have to overwrite these from Gamedata\Ui\C

chr_eff_name30.cat

chr_eff_name31.cat

chr_eff_name32.cat

chr_name_s30.cat

chr_name_s31.cat

chr_name_s32.cat

And then which text files I have to edit? I'm really confused.

If you already overwriten those Ui files, you will know why I use Kanū, yes it's wrong but you will know if you try overwrite it and see it on character selection screen, and why I want to use Sonsaku. Ryofu, Kan'u, and Sonsaku are all surname. Kanu is correct, but it mislead people to read it as "Ka nu" instead of "Kan u", I think that's why most people use Kan'u. And no, I don't think Ryoufu is correct. 呂布 is Ryofu. As far as I know 呂 is read as りょ, not りょう. CMIIW.

The text file is this one:

GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat

And no, I don't think Ryoufu is correct. 呂布 is Ryofu. As far as I know 呂 is read as りょ, not りょう. CMIIW.

The text file is this one:

GameData\Binary\Text\TEXT_E.cat

Damn! You are right! Hōsen is Housen, and Ryoufu is wrong instead is Ryofu ( 呂布 奉先 ) sorry

oidg91.jpg

But is it normal something like this? The size is changed apparently...

• 3 weeks later...
@Naked Kagura
There's no reason to be alarmed about the size changes with the latest version of the tool.  If you're replacing a DDS texture of the same type and dimensions, there should be no size change warning though.

I know it's been awhile since, but I compiled a mod for those interested in having the original Ikki Tousen names.  In order to replace the text names you will need this tool.  Instructions are included in the download.

post-78415-0-37235100-1493336375.png

This mod includes a customized list of text replacements, that (as far as I know) cover every misuse of the Ikki Tousen names.  I'm releasing it this way, because with every version change the Text_E.cat files gets updated, and I don't want to try and support multiple versions of the game.  This way, you only need to apply the changes to whichever version you have, and the source images are included to swap specific images if later the UI Cat files get changed.

Special Thanks to ArSkulder for supplying the altered graphic names seen below:

post-78415-0-19198600-1493336628_thumb.jpg

post-78415-0-37235100-1493336375_thumb.png

post-78415-0-97038200-1493336606_thumb.jpg

post-78415-0-52232400-1493336612_thumb.jpg

Original Ikki Tousen Names.7z

• 1 month later...

Well......... arguably, your so called "original" actually is wrong and the one they have in game in actually the "actual" spelling...... 

Reason being, the "original name" is a romanization of the japanized (is that really a word?) version of the Chinese names.......... 

where the name in the game was just the romanization of the Chinese names directly ....

Similarly, if you have an English word/name, then ask a Japanese to pronounce it, then romanize it back to english, it will probably be different .

Archived