NVIDIA Update Killed my Game.

I updated my my graphics card yesterday and when I booted up my game it constantly CTD. When I finally got in I had a lot of screen tearing, stuttering and my FPS limiter was no longer limited and was going between 59-63 fps when I had it capped at 58. And whenever I tried to enter a cell I'd get the infinite loading screen. I tried loading older saves and once I was in game after my Dovah Bear loading screen, my screen was black and I could hear the back ground music. Oh, and my game was windowed.

I didn't even know that a graphics card update could screw up all your settings. I checked my skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.in and they were different. I even checked my enblocal.ini and that was all out of wack, too. I opened up my NVIDIA profile and I can't even begin to tell you how screwed up that was. The problem was that I didn't remember all of my settings in there nor what exactly I had in my .ini's.

So, I searched and searched and found this and followed all the instructions, but nothing worked in my game. I started a new one and everything seemed fine but, it was still windowed. No matter what I did it would not get out of windowed mode. I had to install OneTweak to get my game in full screen.

My Specs:

• Win 10 64-bit
  • Alienware Area-51 R2
  • 16GB RAM
  • 4GB VRAM
  • NVIDIA GTX GeForce 970
  • Intel i7 v3

Here are all my .ini's, my load order, list of mods, and I'm using Vividian ENB. Could someone please tell me why this happened, why I can't run borderless anymore without OneTweak, and if everything is set correctly. I would really, really appreciate some help.

Again, the load order is not in the correct order. I have no idea why MO lists it this way.

EDIT: Is there anyway to save my old game?

loadorder.txt

modlist.txt

MySkyrimINIs.7z

post-973470-0-35393500-1491508324_thumb.jpg

post-973470-0-36491200-1491508325_thumb.jpg

post-973470-0-38654400-1491508326_thumb.jpg

I would first recommend using the tool DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to remove the Nvidia driver (it removes much more than the normal driver uninstaller), then install the newest one.  See if that works.  If not, uninstall and simply download an older driver.

I will also add that, with my setup at least (Gsync monitor), that the ENB FPS limiter or Nvidia Inspector's FPS Limit doesn't work unless the Nvidia setting "Preferred Refresh Rate" is set it Application-Controlled.

I do know that with the newer drivers and ENB, the loading screens and world map may start flickering/flashing bright light... so keep that in mind.

I hope this helps you.. Good luck :)

can't you roll back your driver to the previous version that worked ?

I forgot to mention that I was having some issues, googled, and it was suggested to see if updates were available for my card. There were and I thought that would fix the previous issues I was having like, stuttering and everything going black for just a second. I read that the two previous updates were causing these and other problems, but this new update should take care of it. That's why I updated it.

I do know that with the newer drivers and ENB, the loading screens and world map may start flickering/flashing bright light... so keep that in mind.

I hope this helps you.. Good luck :)

Yeah, that was another problem I was dealing with before... and thank you very much for your suggestions. xoxo

I always kept a screenshot for nv control panel and i learned it from the hard way, because in my experience updating nv driver will likely to messed up my settings for skyrim.

Yeah got that flickering issue too, haven't found any fix for it. Anyway, have you tried to set ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false in your enblocal.ini ?

You should use DDU to uninstall your GPU driver when you do updates. It gets rid of everything alot better.

http://www.wagnardsoft.com/ V17.0.6.1 is the current latest.

It will suggest you boot to safe mode and if you let it, it will boot to safe mode for you. Once in safe mode, it will pop up and give you options on what to clean.

When its done, it will boot back to normal mode and you can install the nvidia driver as normal. I suggest unticking nvdidia geforce experience and the 3d vision unless you use 3d glasses. Geforce experience auto adjusts settings in places for what it thinks are optimum settings for the games you play. It is often wrong and apparently comes with telemetry these days.

When you use this DDU program, it may or may not move stuff thats laying around on your desktop screen to the far left. You can always move it back afterwards. Using Paint or so to take a screenshot of your desktop beforehand can help you put stuff back to where it was. When you use DDDU, it will aso block Windows 10 from auto updating an old gpu driver over your new one.

I am using 378.92 with no issues, I don't use ENB graphic presets though. Optimized Textures and Vivid Weathers make the game look nice enough for me.

I may have similar problem but bigger, though.
Windows 10 64 bit
GTX 1070
i5 6600k

16 GB ram
The game was running perfect and one day, i think it was some days after the release of the special edition, i get my fps drop to 30 and even to 1!!!
If anyone find solution please post, i will try to use DDU as you said and hope i fix anything.

I always kept a screenshot for nv control panel and i learned it from the hard way, because in my experience updating nv driver will likely to messed up my settings for skyrim.

Yeah got that flickering issue too, haven't found any fix for it. Anyway, have you tried to set ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false in your enblocal.ini ?

I decided to keep those screen shots I posted just in case this happens again.... and I did try ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false in my enblocal.ini . :(  I mean, there's no border now because of the OneTweak mod, but I don't get why I needed a mod this time when all I had to do was tweak my .ini. The flickering issue is driving me insane, too.

You should use DDU to uninstall your GPU driver when you do updates. It gets rid of everything alot better.

http://www.wagnardsoft.com/ V17.0.6.1 is the current latest.

It will suggest you boot to safe mode and if you let it, it will boot to safe mode for you. Once in safe mode, it will pop up and give you options on what to clean.

When its done, it will boot back to normal mode and you can install the nvidia driver as normal. I suggest unticking nvdidia geforce experience and the 3d vision unless you use 3d glasses. Geforce experience auto adjusts settings in places for what it thinks are optimum settings for the games you play. It is often wrong and apparently comes with telemetry these days.

When you use this DDU program, it may or may not move stuff thats laying around on your desktop screen to the far left. You can always move it back afterwards. Using Paint or so to take a screenshot of your desktop beforehand can help you put stuff back to where it was. When you use DDDU, it will aso block Windows 10 from auto updating an old gpu driver over your new one.

I am using 378.92 with no issues, I don't use ENB graphic presets though. Optimized Textures and Vivid Weathers make the game look nice enough for me.

Thanks so very much for this info. I'll download DDU, you've been very helpful! xoxo

Edit: Oh, and I never keep anything on my desktop. OCD and whatnot. :s

I may have similar problem but bigger, though.

Windows 10 64 bit

GTX 1070

i5 6600k

16 GB ram

The game was running perfect and one day, i think it was some days after the release of the special edition, i get my fps drop to 30 and even to 1!!!

If anyone find solution please post, i will try to use DDU as you said and hope i fix anything.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having that problem. I hope you can get your game working again soon.

Okay, I installed and ran DDU on Safe Mode and chose to "Clean and Restart" and also "Set Windows Automatic Driver installation to default".

I got an error telling me that Windows would not automatically download drivers and when DDU was running there was a message at the bottom of the program window that read, "Unable to get updates." I went to the support forums on the DDU site and I ran it twice with the same outcome. I don't know what I did wrong.

I had to go to NVIDIA to re-download the driver. :(

Okay, I installed and ran DDU on Safe Mode and chose to "Clean and Restart" and also "Set Windows Automatic Driver installation to default".

I got an error telling me that Windows would not automatically download drivers and when DDU was running there was a message at the bottom of the program window that read, "Unable to get updates." I went to the support forums on the DDU site and I ran it twice with the same outcome. I don't know what I did wrong.

I had to go to NVIDIA to re-download the driver. :(

You shouldnt select "Set Windows Automatic Driver Installation to default". If you do that, it will re enable Windows 10 Automatic Driver updates for your GPU. You don't want that. It will use old drivers. Once DDU puts you in safe mode, all you need to select is remove geforce experience first and then do Clean and restart. If you have ever had amd gpu drivers on that particular install of windows, then click that too. Getting drivers from nvidias web site is the ideal way to get them.

You shouldnt select "Set Windows Automatic Driver Installation to default". If you do that, it will re enable Windows 10 Automatic Driver updates for your GPU. You don't want that. It will use old drivers. Once DDU puts you in safe mode, all you need to select is remove geforce experience first and then do Clean and restart. If you have ever had amd gpu drivers on that particular install of windows, then click that too. Getting drivers from nvidias web site is the ideal way to get them.

I'm face palming so hard. I thought that's why I got the error about not being able to get updates.... Thanks again!

I did download the drivers and install them after unistall with DDU but i get the same fps problems.
I seriously dont know what happened, my game was running so smoothly and suddelny that happened.
I even remake a game with less mods to see if the problem was caused by a mod and i get the same problem.
Seriously i cant find logic on having these fps problems with gtx 1070, and i didnt have any problem for about 6-7 months with almost the same mods!
Is there any suggestion for troubleshoothing different from drivers? Like unistalling the game or the mods or something?

I can post load order if you can help.

Maybe a vsync issue when running the game in borderless fullscreen

Try disabling borderless fullscreen in the enblocal.ini or the ini file from Onetweak if you use that. Helped in my case and I also had an insane framerate drop a few weeks back.

Maybe a vsync issue when running the game in borderless fullscreen

Try disabling borderless fullscreen in the enblocal.ini or the ini file from Onetweak if you use that. Helped in my case and I also had an insane framerate drop a few weeks back.

The bodrerless fullscreen was false in enblocal so i guess this is not the problem, when the game starts at breezehome for example am at 60 fps cause of the limit, and when i go in whiterun i get 20- 35 fps for no reason.

The bodrerless fullscreen was false in enblocal so i guess this is not the problem, when the game starts at breezehome for example am at 60 fps cause of the limit, and when i go in whiterun i get 20- 35 fps for no reason.

Do you have any kids overhaul mods? I had the same problem in Whiterun and could not understand why until someone asked if I had the RS Children Skeleton. If you do have RS Children installed and not the skeleton, your FPS will drop like crazy. Once I installed it I was back at 59 fps, which is my limit.

I no longer have RS Children and switched to The Kids are Alright, I don't need the skeleton for these kids, but there is a skeleton in the optional download section in case you suffer an FPS drop.

Just a thought.

Do you have any kids overhaul mods? I had the same problem in Whiterun and could not understand why until someone asked if I had the RS Children Skeleton. If you do have RS Children installed and not the skeleton, your FPS will drop like crazy. Once I installed it I was back at 59 fps, which is my limit.

I no longer have RS Children and switched to The Kids are Alright, I don't need the skeleton for these kids, but there is a skeleton in the optional download section in case you suffer an FPS drop.

Just a thought.

Well for some reason it seems to be outfit studio mod, maybe cause of the load order. Now i will try to add properly again all the mods and see if there is any more problem. Thanks for the help though guyz :)

Well for some reason it seems to be outfit studio mod, maybe cause of the load order. Now i will try to add properly again all the mods and see if there is any more problem. Thanks for the help though guyz :)

Huzzah! I'm glad you were able to find the problem! xoxo