SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

Does anyone know if bihippo even had any scripting experiance like expired does ?? i dont remember ever seeing any thing released by this person ??

well his sig on nexus forums says "extending scripts since 2006" and is a key member for script extenders team you will find his name on skse website after ian having worked on all script extenders released for previous bethesda games and volunteers like expired don't even have any mentioning anywhere so make what you want from this information.

First I thought it was april joke but now when even official page has no release date either it seems like it might never happen.

There is at least one other person offering to take it over and finish it.

Seems like they should probably take them up on that and share files.

If it were any other mod, nobody'd dream of suggesting its authors have an obligation to share it for further modification. People are taking these guys for granted.

Most mods are optional bells and whistles. The reason people approach this one differently is that it's required for so many other mods.

It's not about the guys. They don't have a formal obligation to do anything. But, at the same time, the community doesn't have a formal obligation to them either. People just want to pick up where Oldrim left off, whoever can help make that happen.

When there are other people offering to actually work on it and the old crew isn't coming through, what reasonable argument do they have for keeping it private? Holding out for internet fame? I could understand if it was intellectual property that could be sold or something. But, it's basically useless to them and everyone else unless it actually gets completed by someone.

Does anyone know if bihippo even had any scripting experiance like expired does ?? i dont remember ever seeing any thing released by this person ??

I've wondered about this also. My impression from following the project over time is that his role had been to help update the builds when Bethesda released new game versions.

Pretty sure that does require some scripting knowledge. But, I'm not sure if he has put in the same amount of time building the original code-base like some of the other authors had.

well his sig on nexus forums says "extending scripts since 2006" and is a key member for script extenders team you will find his name on skse website after ian having worked on all script extenders released for previous bethesda games and volunteers like expired don't even have any mentioning anywhere so make what you want from this information.

expired is mentioned - he has a different handle is all

Brendan Borthwick = expired

isnt brendan Borthwick = Purple lunchbox ? those alias name in brackets matches other people with real names.

isnt brendan Borthwick = Purple lunchbox ? those alias name in brackets matches other people with real names.

It's the same dude. 

Well if you guys are not sure you could always send a PM to Expired and ask him.

Why do you guys even want SKSE64 so bad?

A lot of mods have found workarounds by now. SKSE isn't nearly as neccesary as a lot of people think.

Yeah a lot of mods have been worked so they can run with out SKSE. But they are mostly a stripped down version of the original mod, all parts that needed SKSE being removed. In a number of mods those features that made those mods great are no longer there. Or to access the limited menu available you now have to enable a lesser power to bring up a menu, which is not as quick and easy as Sky Ui. So for a better enjoyment of mods SKSE is still a needed tool as is SKY UI.

I'd imagine that Skyrim SSE with a 64 bit SKSE would reveal a lot more functions on which too mod from.

Dumb question Alert: Is there any reason why we can't ask Bestheda themselves too realize it?, that and subsurface scattering ?. Be in their benefit so as to sell more Skyrim.

I'd imagine that Skyrim SSE with a 64 bit SKSE would reveal a lot more functions on which too mod from.

Dumb question Alert: Is there any reason why we can't ask Bestheda themselves too realize it?, that and subsurface scattering ?. Be in their benefit so as to sell more Skyrim.

I don't think SKSE64 would have more functions, especially considering that development is progressing quite slowly.

Unfortunately, "more Papyrus functions" isn't something you would put on a marketing material to sell you more copies.

Agree on SS. They are already copying ENB with Newrim's DOF and FO4's weather system, might just as well. 

I've been griping about that for months.

They could probably add the SKSE functions natively with a week or two of work. It's definitely in their interest to try and leave modders for each new game where they left off with the last one. Somebody there has to be in tune with this. They even allow documenting the SKSE commands on their own official creationkit wiki.

I think that it's actually a pretty big vulnerability for them. My prediction is that they will invest heavily in getting it right with the next Skyrim OR some other game studio (Projekt Red?) will make a release that is high quality with better mod capabilities and take over the #1 position for modders.

" We don't need SKSE to enjoy Skyrim "

lol what has happened to the community

stop being delusional

To each their own, some people do enjoy playing vanilla Skyrim. I personally don't get it, as I tried it and was bored within a minute; the game lacks the complexity and depth of previous games.

More like money issues.

Too much work for working.

Money issues? everyone wants to donate them but SKSE team said they dont want or they cant get donations from the people.

I remember reading that the dev team said something like the address for papyrus function entry points were dynamic so it wasn't easy finding a way to hook into the game. Or the address points are stored in some sort of table that would change each time the game booted up? Then again F4SE was released pretty early, and Fallout 4 and SKSE are using the same engine so I dunno I'm just rambling I guess.

More like money issues.

Too much work for working.

Money issues? everyone wants to donate them but SKSE team said they dont want or they cant get donations from the people.

they MUSTNT take donations :) BUT..they could sell tshirts or shit, like fan articles... like "I <3 SKSE" XDD

They should be hired by Bethesda and Bethesda should give them early acess to their future products ( they imo should with F4 and SE too but didnt ) and that would help them developed "skse" a lot quicker.

But nah, Bethesda does not give a single fuck about modding community. They just want them to milk money from console users. If Bethesda really cared they would provide a lot more in-depht information about *lets say * file extensions, new formats, new architecture and possibly official plugins for blender/gimp etc.

It only delayed modding, quite a bit. They should learn a low from firaxis and their approach to the modding , with xcom2.

At least one of the team is a full time game developer, they probably won't take donations, because they can't without endangering their current employment.

Game development is a cyclic thing when your up against a deadline at work, you don't have a lot of time for anything else.

There was a copy of the SKSE source code on github for a while, even ignoring the difficulties and tool cost for reverse engineering 64 bit binaries, there is a stunning amount of code in there, I was kind of hoping they would do a phased release, but I believe the concern was it turning into backwards compatibility nightmare as more features came on line.

FWIW I took a look at what would be involved in just hooking a small amount of functionality I was specifically interested in, and after wasting a few days, I decided it wasn't worth the effort, the free reverse engineering tools are extremely limited, and the commercial ones expensive.

I doubt there are very many people with the experience, and even those with the skillset and experience coming in cold, I'd be surprised if they could do this any faster, even with the limited time the SKSE team has to spend on it at the moment.

They should be hired by Bethesda and Bethesda should give them early acess to their future products ( they imo should with F4 and SE too but didnt ) and that would help them developed "skse" a lot quicker.

But nah, Bethesda does not give a single fuck about modding community. They just want them to milk money from console users. If Bethesda really cared they would provide a lot more in-depht information about *lets say * file extensions, new formats, new architecture and possibly official plugins for blender/gimp etc.

It only delayed modding, quite a bit. They should learn a low from firaxis and their approach to the modding , with xcom2.

Bethesda could add all the planned F4SE functions in a few weeks if they want to. They don't have to reverse engineer.

I've been griping about that for months.

They could probably add the SKSE functions natively with a week or two of work. It's definitely in their interest to try and leave modders for each new game where they left off with the last one. Somebody there has to be in tune with this. They even allow documenting the SKSE commands on their own official creationkit wiki.

I think that it's actually a pretty big vulnerability for them. My prediction is that they will invest heavily in getting it right with the next Skyrim OR some other game studio (Projekt Red?) will make a release that is high quality with better mod capabilities and take over the #1 position for modders.

I am guessing that adding SKSE64 would require a lot of console certifications that Beth didn't want to bother, and technical liabilities it has no intention of supporting.  Can you imagine all the consoles broken by faulty HDT PE installations?  SE was repackaged for console money and never intended as a "remake" or "remaster".

Continuation of Vortec's original question:  I am curious on why subsurface scattering was left out as well.  It can't be harder to do than adding shadows or godrays.

Archived