SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

So, behippo had estimated that a version of SKSE64 would be ready mid March.

It is now April and there has been no announcement. As far as I know, nobody has been able to get a response at all, even privately.

I'm trying to be considerate of the possibilities, etc. But, it seems to me that if a public commitment has been made, there is then an informal obligation to at least tell somebody if the commitment can no longer be met.

Anyway, this thread is for useless speculation and safely grieving about SKSE64. A first step towards maybe moving on and finding others who might be interested and capable in making a similar extender?

Thoughts?

ianpatt posted this on Nexus:

“Sorry, this isn’t intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don’t really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven’t had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people’s hopes up.”

ianpatt posted this on Nexus:

“Sorry, this isn’t intended to be an April Fools joke or something like that.

I don’t really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven’t had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people’s hopes up.”

Aha! This thread has served a greater purpose than I expected. :D

Thank you. I hadn't seen that. Fair enough.

I wish they would release a version with just scaleform support for now at least. A lot can be done with just that added.

This is his post on nexus forums regarding SKSE64 if anyone is interested in reading.

Thank you.

I find this post from that thread interesting:

Hi there, I work in the Information Security field and have an advanced knowledge of reverse engineering x64-based Windows binaries, as well as object-oriented programming (C++ included). I have reached out to a member of the team multiple times (behippo) on this forum offering assistance, and have gotten no response. I would be very interested in helping take over this project if the original creators are no longer willing or able to contribute. Simply waiting for an indefinite period of time does NOT have to be the only option. 

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5206865-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse64/page-40&do=findComment&comment=48913232

Why not pass the baton if someone else can do the work and is ready to get it done now?

I have no problem if something takes more time than planned, only that I'm informed that’s it taking longer. 

common problem in my job is giving an estimate of time, not be able to following it up and not informing them its taking longer! Last bit will get you a lot a backlash - I'm just glad we got some information that yes it taking longer. That all I really need to hear.

Thanks for starting this Thread pipdude!

common problem in my job is giving an estimate of time, not be able to following it up and not informing them its taking longer! Last bit will get you a lot a backlash - I'm just glad we got some information that yes it taking longer. That all I really need to hear.

I agree.

Though, I think that it's also problematic if they don't pass the work on to someone else, knowing that it's low odds that they will get to or don't even have a definite plan for when it will happen.

The timing matters, imo. Because if it takes too long, the next Skyrim will be out or close to coming out and interest will begin to shift to that title.

The whole reacharound happening to Fallout 4 adult themed modding right now may also be a statement that waiting does not have to be an option.

In SSE case, Flower Girl SE X is an already advenced head start to what Fallout 4 have now, but I feel like F4 will continue develping further while SE waits for SKSE64.

I understand two things however, one that SKSE is essential for lots of things, and two that modding depends on people (If I could I would kiss you all on yer cheeks) willing to start projects that have work-like efforts for no work-like bonus.

EDIT: There is a third thing. That SKSE64 will most likely happen and F4SE we're not so sure and it could take a long while.

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that timelines are suggestions at best. So it'll take a little longer for SKSE 64. If people are truly impatient to play with the slooty mods, play Oldrim until then. That's what I'm doing

EDIT: There is a third thing. That SKSE64 will most likely happen and F4SE we're not so sure and it could take a long while.

Who knows if F4SE will even happen? The game uses so many of the same scripts and applies them to different objects (i.e., gear mods and differing grades of armor using the same hex codes) that it's easy to see how they would get tangled into a spaghetti mess and be that much harder to develop. But this is a discussion for another thread. Let's leave it at that or PM me if you have a reply so as not to derail things.

I love all the backseat programming that goes on around these things.

If they don't give an estimated release date, people will complain and keep bugging for one. Post an estimated release date and go over it, people will complain and keep bugging for an updated date. You can't win.

I love all the backseat programming that goes on around these things.

If they don't give an estimated release date, people will complain and keep bugging for one. Post an estimated release date and go over it, people will complain and keep bugging for an updated date. You can't win.

I don't follow how expecting people to live up to their word has to do with "backseat programming"?

Just because someone has done something great before doesn't mean they will be able to later. Nothing wrong with the community wanting to troubleshoot delays and consider options.

The idea that the same people always have to be the ones to make the same mods/tools is narrow thinking that, imo, is harmful to modding. People need to accept that free work is almost always going to be available from a specific person for a limited window of time. People move on, get busy, etc. So, we should be open to authors changing up over time.

Well the fact is they did give a tentative estimate on a project with blatantly huge expectation attached to it, and then from December through to March nothing else was communicated. And since nature abhors a vacuum, rampant speculation was bound to ensue. Ignoring expectation isn't ever handling it.

Skyrim modding is definitely at a critical point, a lot of creative impulse is stymied by uncertainty about what platform one should be committing a longer term, large scale, high skill project to. A glut of "me too" follower mods, poor quality armor re-colours and 1k textures getting smothered with noise and blown up to 4k -  the signs of ongoing creative drought if ever there was.

SKSE isn't critical to enjoying Skyrim, and actually I'm beginning to wonder whether it's very absence in SSE is as much of a contributor to my getting my first character to 55 in 3 years as being 64bit is. But even so, SSE's future as a longer term modding platform with the sort of creative vibrancy we've been used to seeing in the past is ultimately resting on it.

Why do you guys even want SKSE64 so bad?
A lot of mods have found workarounds by now. SKSE isn't nearly as neccesary as a lot of people think.
We have mods like Frostfall, iNeed, Campfire, Falskaar, Immersive Citizens, Ordinator, FNIS, XPMSSE, vivid weathers, RDO, Immersive Sounds ..... the list goes on. I think you get the point, there's a wide variety of mods even without SKSE64.
Not even Frostfall need SKSE64.

There's not THAT many mods anymore that would absolutely NEED SKSE64.

Go to the nexus is you haven't for a while. You'd be surprised to see what kind of mods are available there for SE.
Why is SKSE64 such a big deal to you guys?

A lot of mods have found workarounds by now. SKSE isn't nearly as neccesary as a lot of people think.

We have mods like Frostfall, iNeed, Campfire, Falskaar, Immersive Citizens, Ordinator, FNIS, XPMSSE, vivid weathers, RDO, Immersive Sounds ..... the list goes on. I think you get the point, there's a wide variety of mods even without SKSE64.

Go to the nexus is you haven't for a while. You'd be surprised to see what kind of mods are available there for SE.

Mostly for SkyUI and DynDOLOD in my case.  Otherwise I agree.  There are others I want but the lack of those 2 smacks me in the face every time I play. 

I'd actually continue playing SE instead of Oldrim even if SKSE64 is never released and none of the other Oldrim mods I like ever get converted.  Modded SE is already better than modded Oldrim for me.  It's more stable, gets better frame rates, looks better except for LOD and skin, and I can have way more mods loaded without affecting stability or performance.  My mod list in SE is already significantly larger than it was in Oldrim.

-snip-

Mostly for SkyUI and DynDOLOD in my case.  Otherwise I agree.  There are others I want but the lack of those 2 smacks me in the face every time I play. 

I'd actually continue playing SE instead of Oldrim even if SKSE64 is never released and none of the other Oldrim mods I like ever get converted.  Modded SE is already better than modded Oldrim for me.  It's more stable, gets better frame rates, looks better except for LOD and skin, and I can have way more mods loaded without affecting stability or performance.  My mod list in SE is already significantly larger than it was in Oldrim.

You can use SkyUI without the MCM, and there is a DynDOLOD Beta for SkyrimSE

Honestly, I'm just happy to see an update about what the progress (or lack thereof) is.  I don't mind waiting a few more months or a year or whatever but a post every month or 2 saying here's what's left to do would be nice.

If too much time goes by, it will be tempting for mod authors to just wait for the next game release rather than invest in a new mod for a shortened lifecycle in SE. 

Well the fact is they did give a tentative estimate on a project with blatantly huge expectation attached to it, and then from December through to March nothing else was communicated. And since nature abhors a vacuum, rampant speculation was bound to ensue. Ignoring expectation isn't ever handling it.

Yep. I get respecting mod authors for their work. But, at some point, the community deserves to be thrown a bone once in a while as well. It sounds like, from his comment, that Ianpatt hasn't even heard from behippo either!

SKSE isn't critical to enjoying Skyrim, and actually I'm beginning to wonder whether it's very absence in SSE is as much of a contributor to my getting my first character to 55 in 3 years as being 64bit is. But even so, SSE's future as a longer term modding platform with the sort of creative vibrancy we've been used to seeing in the past is ultimately resting on it.

Heh. Same happened with me. Used to spend more time messing with mods. Now, nothing left to do but actually play the game.

Fair point. I agree that it's pretty great as it stands.

But, I have some ideas for experimental mods that I want to work on that require features from the extender.

First I thought it was april joke but now when even official page has no release date either it seems like it might never happen.

There is at least one other person offering to take it over and finish it.

Seems like they should probably take them up on that and share files.

First I thought it was april joke but now when even official page has no release date either it seems like it might never happen.

There is at least one other person offering to take it over and finish it.

Seems like they should probably take them up on that and share files.

If it were any other mod, nobody'd dream of suggesting its authors have an obligation to share it for further modification. People are taking these guys for granted.

Archived