Individual Isolationism In the 21st Century

I am of an age so as to remember a time when there were no cell phones, PCs, or Internet for that matter. The 70's to be exact.

In those days it was common to be extremely bored at home with nothing to do. You could not find more than 6-8 channels to watch on TV and video-tape had not been invented. This basically forced a person not wanting to listen to a radio or read a book to GO OUT to find something interesting to do.

Thus having to leave your comfortable place to find something or someone was the order of the day and in doing so one could find themselves in many, many different situations. It was full exposure of oneself to a great-big world outside. In other words, people were more or less forced to interact with others to experience anything.

Today however it would be conceivable for a person to live most of their lives in the comforts of where-ever without leaving except to maybe get something from the store. With the increase in activities that can be done in a persons home where does that leave society as a whole? Are people becoming more and more isolated from each other? Do you think this trend is healthy for a community of people? Is the lack of exposure to others causing us to drift further apart? Perhaps one of the biggest problems that can arise from such isolationism is lack of empathy for your neighbors in this world. If you do not share experiences how can you relate? Is talking to someone via the internet really as diverse and potentially fulfilling as talking to a person outside in the world somewhere?

I would be interested in hearing your responses. It could have some implications for the future of Humanity IMO. B)

yesterday everthing was better , eh ? ;)

it seems as if even world population is growing people get more lonely , but I assume it's just a personal perception of your surrounding reality, there is still life out there. btw I also can remember the 70th, hardly but I can .... what I'm certain about is that in a few centuries (decades?) humanity is no more, eliminated by overpopulation and resulting "stress" .... some billion years later univers will end as a very cold, very dark and very empty .... nothing ...

hm I need a drink now

cheers

Im gonna say the trend is generally unhealthy. I was recently reading Adam Alter's book, Irresistable : The Rise of Addictive Technology and The Business of Keeping Us Hooked.

From what he writes it seems like the goal of the current Era is to create everyone into docile self-centered consumers. 

On an experience note : I had a long (Guy thought i was a troll) debate with a modder on moddb as to why he was wrong for holding the opinion that i the mod consumer should not to be entitled to making suggestions on the mod in question. In my little debate i cited a great many sources that were readily viewable if the person simply took the time of day to read. 

Conclusion he came too - I must therefore be a very very elaborate troll.

Conclusion i came to - people ignore everything they don't agree with these days. (broad generalization, but the culprit for the uptake in this is the Internet, I.e so yes general lack of Empathy)

I myself am doing something of a social confirmation thing here as Alter would write, the problem is when this kind of thing seeps into every aspect of our daily lives, it polarizes everybody.  When everybody only feels comfortable amongst people whose base-ist thoughts relate (rather than say social confirmation in some Grand thought like, All People should be treated Equally in Society or something, which sounds like a terrible platitude), you generally start getting groups ranging from small to fanatical trump follower types, who only hear what they want to hear amongst people like them, in some sense its a giant tautology, in another sense it leads to alot of self-fulfilling prophecies.

General problem should be, in a country with emphasis on the Individual like America, where did the individual go?

(yes theres alot to unpack here, sorry for the deep post.)

Btw Paul Newman as Cool Hands Luke, next to The Shawshank Redemption best Prison movie in American Movie History. Paul Newman, Great Actor, Great Man.

Physical interaction has been in decline since air conditioning obviated the utility of the front porch. Television and cell phones have turned pubs into scattered personal spaces..... and then Jerry Garcia died.  remember my families first TV, I believe it was a Hoffman. Computers were sci fi. I was still isolated because my town was small and social interactions were tightly proscribed. I am now old and I do welcome the expansion of interaction and information access that the internet provides.

As physical interaction declines, however, opportunities of social interaction via the internet are increasing (as I see it). Users in flux gravitate to like minded users in ways never before possible. It is this factor that brings us to LL.

Unfortunately, the net also abets abject polarization on a global scale as well as connecting some sociopathic clown in Florida to an equally sociopathic bozo in Oregon and they can exchange bomb constructing plans.

I figure that the world is going to be very strange for a few decades. Maybe forever.

cheers

Many good questions.  I tend toward the "yes but no", as stated above.  Yes, we appear to be being put in contact with more people, but the value of that contact is very, very, questionable.  There is absolutely nothing greater in this sector than actual person to person individual contact.  You don't, and never will, get that over the electronic connection.  Along with that, it is way too easy to isolate oneself, weather by accident or design, and loose out on life in general.  Yes, as a result of that, we as individual humans, are drifting apart, preferring our homes (and televisions/computers) to taking the risk of going out and doing things and meeting new people.  Of course, that's also a function of age.  The older we get, the more set we get.  The best/most likely time for meeting new people is in the forced social environment of college.  That's overall, and a little generalized, but not by much.  Part of it has to do with the increased knowledge of how dangerous the world is.  How many kids do you see playing outside anymore, with the increased protectiveness and worry of parents?  Part of it has to do with the perceived inability to protect ones self due to societal norms.  Additionally, the question "where do you meet people?".  The answer comes mostly from answering the question "what do you enjoy doing?" coupled with "where do people who enjoy doing that congregate?"

"Is talking to someone via the internet really as diverse and potentially fulfilling as talking to a person outside in the world somewhere?"  This is a yes and no.  More diverse, yes.  There are people of other races who I have spoken at length through computers who I would never have had the opportunity to meet in the real world.  Geographically speaking, they aren't here.  Period.  I'm not going to meet them if they aren't here.  Fulfilling, no.  The computer has never been, and never will be, as fulfilling as interpersonal contact.

The question of  lack of empathy due to lack of shared experiences is a very good one.  It's also one that a great many people who intend to cause harm like to lean on heavily.  "They're not like us!"  Bull, they're human, we're human.  How much more like us does it need to get???  Of course, realistically, it's all about resources.  Where they are, and who is using how much.  This ties in nicely with the "sell people stuff" mentality you mentioned.  Resource consumption, the complete and utter lack of husbanding of resources anymore (ie the throw away society.  It's now become cheaper to simply replace than to fix.).  The expansion of the amount of knowledge available coupled directly with the increasing lack of capability on the individual scale.  (Some of this is intended, like over-computerizing cars so that you HAVE to pay the manufacturer [through the dealer] to fix any problems, rather than simply fixing it yourself.)  Keeping up with the Jone's.  (To be successful, you must have X, Y, and Z.  And if you don't, you're a complete waste of time.)  Etc.

Thank you all for your responses. When I posted this I was quite sure it would be ignored. Glad to see some others that think this is something worth discussing. Now if you each could give me some more info about yourselves.......and a bank account or credit card # that would be great! KIDDING. :P

Back on topic. I honestly cannot imagine being a teen or 20-something today. The overwhelming amount of information available, the speed of light circulation of gossip, and yes- the ever increasing pressure exerted by societal demands for everyone to rush headlong into the future. Because being #1 is the only acceptable position in the race for success. And if friends or even family are not contributing to an individuals quest for success, then they are no friend at all and family of little value. Now I am not trying to say this applies to all. I am saying that this trend will ultimately end in utter failure both for the individual and society as a whole.

But I needn't worry. History has proven time and again that any society that becomes alienated from itself is doomed to dissolution. I have come to believe that this is an inevitable cycle of life to death for any society- just like the individuals that make up such. That is unless a group of however many people that make up such a society resists the temptation to isolate themselves either individually or in like minded sets that might become radically opposed to each other- like what we see today.

In military terms it has been proven that any army of individuals is no match for even a much smaller unit of disciplined, like minded people that are bound by their shared life experiences. Even if the opposing forces are equal in every other way, it is that special bond that will enable the smaller "army" to emerge victorious.

By another analogy a house that is divided cannot stand for long to paraphrase Mr. Lincoln.

Indeed, what I think we see today is a very natural tendency for humans to become sovereign and intolerant in their own minds to the point of extreme neglect and even disdain for any and all that do not recognize THIER "truth". But this I fear is only a symptom of a much greater ill. Just as Science and Industry gains in technology at an exponential rate then so too does a society grow ever more segregated and isolated to the point of being strangers amongst each other. But never to the degree seen in todays world. It would seem that the game of life has become infinitely more complex than the same game of yesteryear- leaving many without the slightest clue of how to play. So in place of an actual strategy it is much easier to say win at all costs and you are never wrong.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like rambling. I sometimes have trouble forming a coherent thought process- much less being able to relay it. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I think that in the end that is all what you make of it.  There is good and bad in the internet world and like it or not, it is here to stay (unless something happens to kick us back to the stone age).  Given time, we will adjust to the new reality, and perhaps things will eventually come round full circle.  Of course technology will likely catch up and the time will come where physical reality vs what is in our minds will be indistinguishable (ala Matrix or some such).  This too could be good, bad or indifferent.  In the meantime, I personally having medical issues and not being able to get out as much as i would like, take advantage and have managed by and large to find a few friends online and have a bit of a life at least.  I am new to Lovers Lab, in fact this is my first post, but have many years on Second Life (some of you may be familar).  It started as a social experiment and has grown into (for better or worse) a full blown society.  Again I think it is all what you make of it.  The key is as with anything, treat people like you want to be treated and expect the same in return.

I am a very antisocial person. I consider myself an Misanthrope. Not a extreme one, but the contempt is always there.

And I only go outside when it's dark and empty. 

I'm not gonna go into the reasons why, but the reason I reveal this, is to give some context to my answer.

As I see it, it can be looked upon in two ways.

One being, yes, we have become more distant to each other, in real life, due to the technology.

But on the other hand, we also have become more "social" towards each other online, thanks to the technology. 

I have meet some really amazing people online, which has actually lead to meeting them in real life as well.

Something that would probably not happen otherwise.

So for me, this is not a negative at all. But a positive thing. 

I blame social media. It acts like a massively simplified surrogate for human interaction. Instead of reinforcing or opposing a statement you simply press the like button or you don't. Doesn't help that pretty much all forums have such a mechanic in place nowadays. Imagine how silly it would be if you'd say something in real life and a bunch of strangers shove a thumbs up gesture in your face. The global village was always a threat perpetuated by the internet but now that giants like google are actively trying to create the most comfy, stressfree and most importantly, ad-friendly environment possible it seems like a lost cause. They'll end up filtering everything but positive reinforcement in the future and that will condition everyone to expect and accept nothing but that, essentially rendering them unable to function in daily interactions with other humans.

The internet had the big potential to be something truly unique, where you could exchange opinions and ideas across the globe with little to no time lost and a virtually unlimited audience. And every member of that audience could also become active and contribute something at any time. Some sort of meta-brain for mankind, free of social and cultural boundaries. Oh well.

As the world evolves, many things are lost

In the beginnings of civilization, people walked a lot more, people had to hunt to get their food, walk long distances to get water and trained to wear heavy gear preparing for war, in consequence their physical condition was a lot healthier than today's

Nowadays, we have everything gifted for us and as a result, we have lazy people and obese people, ofc not everyone is, but the numbers have certainly risen.

What was lost? The habit of doing physical activity as something normal and not programmed or forceful, the capacity to do deeds such as swinging a heavy sword while wearing an armor, the ability to hunt or grow your own food and prepare it.

Back in the day, kids played in the street with other kids, being neighbors and sometimes, life lasting friendships were born sometimes.

Now that doesn't happen and all interaction is done via electronic ways.

Social interaction nurtures from senses. You can see emotions, hear tones, even sense changes in temperature, but it has now been limited to seeing words and emoticones

If tech was a complement, it would be great

But for some, it's a drug, a substitute for the real thing

Drugs create dependency and also tolerance. Eventually it's not enough.

There are folk who are "addicted to likes" and there's never enough likes

The more time a person passes in facebook, is usually the lonelier they actually feel

Personally, no I don't consider it healthy. I think it's a prison that has been built slowly, one brick at a time, over the work of decades. Eventually, some people will not leave their home. But hey... I also hope this is wrong and there is still some hope left... Maybe there is... for the ones who decide to do differently...

Take LL IE... It's usually a wonderful community in certain topics. But how may people you actually know from it?

I get eight hours a day of socialization every day at work. Seems to me, you lower the unemployment rate and you will most certainly lower the lonely basement virgin rate.

It's an economic thing, not a social one. There's no point in inventing the wheel when others carry shit for you.

The only known form of socialization I have is when I am here in this forum, when taking my order in a restaurant or if when the cashier in the grocery asked me if I would use my card or cash to pay...I am just dismal with small talk and a lot of people...

It is quite unhealthy for normal people's point of view, but for those of us who prefer solitude over meaningless tete-a-tete the technology of today is now easier for us to be stuck in our cocoon...yes I am aware of its faults...that's why sometimes i call my parents or visit my long time friends from time to time to get back to my own roots and connect on a non digital level...

But the pros outweigh the apparent cons of today's technology...there is social media you know...and uses for communication...medicine..etc.

Society as a whole in the past 25-30 years has gone downhill in many ways. Call them trolls, cyber bullies, punks, or flat out jerks with the way social media is and every different kind of social output or way to communicate is probably the reason why many people choose a isolation lifestyle. I am a introvert and don't usually speak unless spoken to but I have my reasons as many others have their own. The internet is a great thing that has made communication easy but at the same time it has also given everyone a false sense of security or even invulnerability for their actions. Where does this lead? The same output on the school playgrounds back when I was a child but instead of punches and physical it has jumped the fence to mental abuse and what's worse is they can literally attack you anywhere at anytime.

The way I see it is if people want to isolate themselves from the world I say let them. It's their choice and I will not fault them for it. Much of society has gone to shit and I say let them devour each other. When the shit smoke clears the world will be all the better for it.

The way I see it is if people want to isolate themselves from the world I say let them.

I would agree with this if not for the fact that most of the "isolationists" are also unemployed and/or on wellfare that working people have to pay for.

If somebody wants to isolate themselves by moving to a deserted island or living under a bridge, that's their business entirely and I wouldn't have the audacity to get in their way. But if you want to shut yourself in your room and never come out, all the while eating food freely given to you by a percentage taken out of my paycheck, I don't think so.

Technology has done wonders as much as it has done bad. The internet has served a purpose as a gateway to communicate around the globe and have an understanding of people from around the world and cultures. That's a good thing. On the flip side, it has made people inactive when it comes to outside activities, especially kids despite if they grow up to be more tech savvy than the average adult. Social media was the down fall of society. It brought out the worst of people. You see all this ego trip, self centered narcissistic people who think they are super special over others when in reality, they aren't, Their shit smells just as bad as everyone else. They think they are celebrities in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and what not. It's nothing but a cesspool of circle jerking and why I don't associate myself with people like this and have social media accounts other than YT. All you see these days is mediocre in mainstream media and real talent is withered away. Only a selective hand appreciates real art while the majority follow the trendy crap of today.

Then you have the other people. The normal people who feel like they are not part of this world. Because being alternative, being different, being yourself is a crime these days in the false pretentious fake world we live in. I despise superficial. And that's why in that fake world, women tend to like men with 10inch stretched dicks and men like women with big fake beobs. And also why men and women feel insecure about themselves because they fear rejection all because they are scared they will get laughed at for not having what the superficial world believes to be the norm. You aren't a cool grown up if you don't have the proper measurements in your private parts. Not all, but there are people like this who have gone from being the average socially active person to an isolationist because of how most humans have turned and think ass backwards. Hating and despising other humans, which refer themselves as misanthropists. So there can be a connection between both misanthropist and isolationist if one ends up very deep in that darkness.

You have people like this guy in this video (spoiler) who went from a not bad looking guy, to a hideous looking monster for the rest of his life. Forever will he be laughed at by society for being one of the most superficial beings on this planet. I have no sympathy for people like this.

He's better off being a isolationist after what he's done. I can only imagine what an insult it must be to the Asian community for him to try and pretend to be something he genetically isn't.

The way I see it is if people want to isolate themselves from the world I say let them.

I would agree with this if not for the fact that most of the "isolationists" are also unemployed and/or on wellfare that working people have to pay for.

If somebody wants to isolate themselves by moving to a deserted island or living under a bridge, that's their business entirely and I wouldn't have the audacity to get in their way. But if you want to shut yourself in your room and never come out, all the while eating food freely given to you by a percentage taken out of my paycheck, I don't think so.

My debate was more for people who choose to isolate themselves over social anxiety/social society in general. Should of made that clearer before posting.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had Social Anxiety all of my life, for a long time it was mostly controllable but every so often it spiked and was bad enough that it made me physically ill just thinking about interacting with other people. In the last 20 years I have had 2 bouts of extreme depression to the point that I was on the verge of suicide, the only reason I didn't do it last time was I couldn't leave my wife that way. With each of these bouts of depression my social anxiety worsened and now is so bad that I can't stand being out of the house for more than 2 hours before getting sick. My psychiatrist believes I have a chemical imbalance in my brain which causes the issues and keeps medications from working. Rhe standard medication for depression and anxiety affects Serotonin and that made my anxiety worse as well as other physical issues. I have not been to the movies since 2013 and in the last 2 years the only things I have done with other people outside is either doctors visits or family functions (which I am limited to 2 hours as well). Currently I am waiting on a disability claim to be processed, I tried working after losing that job but couldn't handle being around other people.

I didn't choose to isolate myself, it was forced on me. I lost a job that paid well that I liked, I have not seen my friends in more than a year and rarely talk to them on the phone as that causes issues for me as well. Side effects of the medications make my hands shake to the point that I have had to give up several hobbies and is bad enough that I have trouble even using a fork when it is really bad. I am on 3 medications for the Anxiety, all of which are also sedatives of which one I take 4x a day, one I take 3x a day and the other only 1x a day (I started with 3x a day but the only time I was awake was to eat and take another pill.

You can't agree or disagree even online, either being accused of pedophilia or being a troll.

Isolationism occurs online too, some people can't stand others not being and looking exactly like they do, and will loudly proclaim this, as if God came and spoke to them about what pearls to pass along to the rest of us mere mortals.

"are there no prisons?"

"Are there no workhouses?"

That non-sequitur was from a really old movie, but it fits, I swear, if you squint.

but people who choose to stay in their rooms consuming public funds aren't out on the street robbing you or getting in the way of your Lexus SUV barreling down the street.

Suicide isn't an option for many people, or ice-floes, or standing by the side of a road waiting for player to mercifully kill them.

And just saying the above few lines irks the hell out of people, "whaaaat? A difference of opinion?"

No wonder people isolate themselves to the comfort of their special little website, no wonder they text virtual friends everywhere they go.

OK they do it badly and at inappropriate times, and are shunned and damned to be alone by the rest of society, but they don't deserve it, in my opinion, they're as impurfuct as the rest of everyone else. But they're missing out on the megalomaniacs telling them how to live and what to say, and that pisses people off.

That movie theater has speakers louder than twenty televisions, they can text til kingdom come while Millennium Falcon flies by,

They just gotta learn "vibrate" and maybe how to *isolate* their conversation by whispering.

But no justification will do, and what they spend their money on is your business, what they look like is within your purview, so says you.

So isolationism looks pretty good in a lot of situations.

I'm a less social person just by nature.  Not always the case, when I was a kid I was loud and excitable and I liked to go play outside with my friends and all that other fun stuff.  But me and my family moved to another country when I was around the age children start taking real notice of each other's differences.  I had about 4 months at my new school where I was a curiosity because I was from so far away, then after that my accent made me a target for 10 year old ridicule, which was basically just bad stereotyping that didn't even work in most cases, but I was also 10 and didn't have very thick skin.  I didn't isolate myself, exactly, but I did slowly stop playing games outside with other kids and spend more time reading or just chatting with my closer buddies and stuff like that.  In my spare time at home I'd often play with some of the neighbour kids, or otherwise play video games or read books.  We moved again a little after and that time was better in a way because I started middle school, which meant everyone else in my year group was also new to the school.  But still, there was the whole "foreign kid" thing going on, so I still had some minor issues.  Also now that I think about it, I might have been having a bit of trouble emotionally at that point.  Probably came with the whole "preteen" territory, though.  Mostly I just got annoyed with people pestering me to say their favourite lines from whatever tv show they saw last night.  Being different in a very obvious way is probably one of the biggest factors as to why I didn't make effort to interact with people more.  I had my friends, never very many, but I had some and they were my buddies.  At this point I should make it clear that I didn't get a cell phone until I was like 13 and it was a pretty terrible one, that I only ever had enough credit on to save for emergencies, so I didn't use that for socialising, and I didn't get facebook until well after everyone else had theirs set up.  So yeah, I managed to be introverted (not hugely, just not very social) without the help of cell phones or social media.  I did play a lot of video games, especially after we moved once again a little ways out of town, far enough to be inconvenient to hang out with my pals regularly.  So that probably helped.  I ended up using a lot of my spare time on personal stuff.  Games, books, tv, easy things to do alone.  I have always been nervous and self conscious around people I don't already know (After I left high school and went to the local college, I spent like the whole first 4 weeks not talking to anyone in my class and just sort of trying to feel out what's appropriate interaction with them, since I know I can be a bit sarcastic and shit when I get going).  Getting my first job in customer service definitely helped me, if nothing else, act like I can be sort of comfortable in public, but good god if I don't still over analyse everything I say and do.  But I still don't go out and do much, and I still often prefer to do my own thing.  The internet has definitely helped make this possible, but to be perfectly honest even if I never had the internet I've never lived very far from a library, and before my family even had a computer I used to spend entire days just reading.  So I'm not exactly an isolationist, but I do spend a lot of time not participating in community activities.  And truth be told, social media is only so much of a factor for me since I mostly just use my facebook to lurk on silly pages that post content I like, send silly shit to some of my few friends, and not much else.  Like I don't even post anything to my page more than once every few months.  

If that whole thing read like I was rambling, it's because I don't really know how to say what I was even trying to say.  I guess it boils down to, on my individual level, I became less socially adventurous because I started to dislike how everyone saw me as different, and I just started to become overly conscious of myself.  Technology didn't "make me an introvert" as much as social interaction just eventually made me decide I could do with less of it.

You can add me to the list of being an isolated person!

I don't know what my problem is! I go out and try to live a "NORMAL LIFE" and people always see right through me! GOD, it drives me crazy!!! I have to pretend to be a different person in order to blend in with society!!!  puts my blood pressure way up everytime I walk out the door, so i'm on meds for that! 

I have no friends whatsoever...I've hated every fucking job I've ever worked at...there's no women, it's just men, so I can't get a girlfriend, and there's no chance in hell I could ever walk up and start a conversation with one!  Hey, I'm not ugly either, believe it or not. I think I am, of course, but apparently I'm not!  I've asked co-workers to be honest and tell me the truth and they said no.  I even asked my mom, and she said the same thing!  

well when I do have a job (which I don't right now) older women in their 30s and 40s seem to give me these lustful gazes.  it's more noticeable than any trim around my age (I'm 22)

bottom line:  I'm my own worst enemy.

You can add me to the list of being an isolated person!

I don't know what my problem is! I go out and try to live a "NORMAL LIFE" and people always see right through me! GOD, it drives me crazy!!! I have to pretend to be a different person in order to blend in with society!!!  puts my blood pressure way up everytime I walk out the door, so i'm on meds for that! 

I have no friends whatsoever...I've hated every fucking job I've ever worked at...there's no women, it's just men, so I can't get a girlfriend, and there's no chance in hell I could ever walk up and start a conversation with one!  Hey, I'm not ugly either, believe it or not. I think I am, of course, but apparently I'm not!  I've asked co-workers to be honest and tell me the truth and they said no.  I even asked my mom, and she said the same thing!  

well when I do have a job (which I don't right now) older women in their 30s and 40s seem to give me these lustful gazes.  it's more noticeable than any trim around my age (I'm 22)

bottom line:  I'm my own worst enemy.

I can definitely empathize with you because I used to be the same way. I found out that it has much to do with nerves and that by drinking some and maybe pop some pills then things are ok. But only use that as a crutch until you maybe settle in with a few friends and a girl. It does get a little easier as you get older. At some point you just wont care what people think about you. Once you are comfortable with yourself then others should pick up on that and will treat you differently. I am not preaching here- I am only telling you what I have learned in my time.

I am guilty of not socializing because I simply don't like the hassle of dealing with so many idiots WHERE I AM. They're not bad people per-say, they just aren't  interesting to me at all. Unfortunately in order to eventually meet someone interesting you will probably have to mingle with many who are akin to human speed bumps in personality. I simply don't have the patience for that kind of shit anymore. ^_^

PS Those ladies in there 30s and 40s could show you much young one. Give one a try some time and see what I mean! ;) 

While I myself was born in the end of the 90' this story my mother shared with me is an exception to the idea that computers and the internet are making the modern world more isolated.

My uncle is a very awkward guy, A real old fashioned nerd. He would always try to isolate himself, Nobody had the same interests or hobbies... Well it's more that he didn't have any.

One day he find's out about this "personal computer" in a magazine his parent (my grand parent ((oh now I remind myself of my grandfather, I miss him so)) bought for him and he is so intrigued by it that he immediately starts saving money to buy one. A few month's pass and from that moment forward he finally find something he shares with other people, an interest for computers. He now own's a pretty large chain of computer repair shops and its how he met his wife.

It's almost like a modern fairy tail to be honest but it's how my mother told me it.

Online since '93. Still not having accounts on following platforms: facebook, twitter, instagram, uhhhh I never remember any of the rest, I'll say: "all of them"

Because?

I never saw a point in any of those. And I anyway don't go online for "people" - I'm fine with just "entities" whatever they are.

Disabled since 2005 because I lit an IKEA on fire thinking it's an extraterrestrial crossbreeding facility.

I have hardly expenses, so my pension does its job fine, and I can even limit my actual "social interactions" to the occassional delivery person (food, whatever else).

There's this bell curve of sentiment  you can have here, without being typed at loudly.

I just read a thread someone typed about in two other threads just to say how nice it was that management agreed with him.

OK I took the chessboard in my head and filled in the 60-odd moves between the thread and yelling at someone,

but you can't always do that.

Suppose you're at a supermarket and a guy steals the shopping cart that you had the Balls to let go of for five seconds to pick up a product.

Do you: yell at the guy, who could possibly kill you,

or do you rail against management until they do something negative to the other guy,

Or do you just let it go and get another cart?

That third option sucks and will tend to isolate you because you're not interacting with neighbors, but it's a safe, comfortable thing to do.

Now I'm thinking to myself that tons of really dangerous people on a mission from god come out of the woodwork to spoil others fun.

It's a freaking trend.

I don't like being told to go to the park or to movies just to fit under somebody's bell-curve.

But I get punished a lot for my POV's, they'll pick apart a word or a phrase I used instead of grasping the idea.

I'd much rather be alone, seriously.

OK *Some* of you are hot (in print) and I hope to meet you someday.

I won't say much, I'll be too awestruck.

But your isolated fan loves you. (or something..."THE END")