Four-Play WIP Discussion (was SexTec)

DocClox

Four-Play is a sex framework for Fallout 4. The mod is currently under heavy development, but it is already functional and has a number of mods making use of it. The mod currently uses Crazy6987's animations by default, although there is a briding mod to use Leito86's animations.

This thread is for discussion of development issues, missing features and coding techniques.

Mods Using Four-Play

By vinfamy

Four-Play Autonomy
Four-Play Vanilla Fudge
Four-Play Kidnapped
Four-Play Prostitution
Four-Play Violate
Four-Play Mindless Sex
Four Lei (Compatibility Patch for Leito's Animations)

By Chosen Clue

Four-Play Sex 'Em Up

Animations

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/68016-crazy6987-sex-animation/

By Leito86

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/75915-fo4-animations-by-leito-041217/

By Crazy6987

Useful Threads by vinfamy:

Four Play Beginner Friendly Installation Guide Comprehensive Tutorial To Sexualise your Fo4

Four Play Current State: Known Issues, Problem, Diagnosis, Common Installation Mistakes and Expectation Management

At CPU's request I'm starting this as a new thread for SexTec discussion and ... apparently I'm inheriting the mantle of SexTec developer, at least for now.

Originally, my plan was to make an interim framework called 4-Play until the SexTec project was in a position to fully resume. That's still broadly the plan. There's a lot of clever ideas planned for SexTec, but right now I'll be happy if I can get a framework that lets modders include nookie in their mods without having to do everything from the ground up.

Longer term ... I might not be the best custodian for this. I have a history of pushing myself too hard and burning out and I'd hate to leave this in limbo. Still, one day at a time; let's get the animations working.

I expect I'll edit this to say something a little more considered after I've had a chance to actually consider.For now I'm going to post this and then reserve a couple of posts.

[edit]

Well, that didn't work the way I expected it to work! Off to a fine start here :)

Should freq asked questions be posted before some questions get reasked?

Should freq asked questions be posted before some questions get reasked?

That sounds sensible. I'll look at that tomorrow. I think I'm about done for tonight.

Update:

Tonight has been mainly fixing the editor ids in F4Edit and getting random selection of animations sorted out. If you pass one actor, you get a solo animation for that gender. If you pass M/F you get M/F. If you pass F/M you also get M/F which is probably the most common case. If you pass M/M of F/F actors, it randomises which one takes the "male" role. Then it picks a random M/F animation pair, since that's what I currently have to work with.

And of course, if you particularly need an actor in a certain role, the four_play_main call lets you specify who goes where with what idle and how happy they are about it.

I am not sure if using M/F animations for M/M or F/F is something we'd want to do, of if it wouldn't be better to filter them. The vast majority of M/F animations just plain don't work for same-sex intercourse, and unless they are tagged somehow, there will be no way for the code to tell which one don't look completely silly in this situation.

PS: Glad to see this project turning into an actively developed one now, and thanks for taking it on! :)

I am not sure if using M/F animations for M/M or F/F is something we'd want to do, of if it wouldn't be better to filter them.

Well now... for the time being, M/F is what I have, along with a few solo ones. So for now, that's what I'll be using. Folks re going to have to use their imaginations a little for the first couple of releases.

Longer term, CPU said there were some animations made for SexTec proper that I could use, and I'll be happy to do that. But first I want to get what I have working. Likewise tagging, while we're going to need it, isn't something I want to worry about for the first cut.

On a slightly related note - anyone know if there's a strap-on we can use for such cases where some does want a female actor in a male role? Otherwise it will look a bit silly, I'll grant :)

PS: Glad to see this project turning into an actively developed one now, and thanks for taking it on! smile.png

Hey, no problem smile.png

Hey guys question, although not necessarily Sex-Tec related to a certain extent. I wasn't a huge mod user during Skyrim so excuse the ignorance. 

So as far as I know, a full working Sex-Tec requires a fully functional F4SE correct? If I remember, Sex-Lab was able to apply facial animations during the sexual scenes. Now, will a full working F4SE theoretically also provide the opportunity of a new character editor for more diverse faces? or is it something completely different?

wow, hype. Thanks Doc! I thought it would be ages since I would see a modder taking this kind of work foward, don't think F4SE will come soon and it will probably be always on hold compared to SKSE64. So thank you thank you.

He's not a modder, he's a programmer. I'm a modder.

GO DOC!

:D  :lol:

there is a nexus mod for a strap on.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13673/?

Useful to know. Thanks :)

So as far as I know, a full working Sex-Tec requires a fully functional F4SE correct? If I remember, Sex-Lab was able to apply facial animations during the sexual scenes. Now, will a full working F4SE theoretically also provide the opportunity of a new character editor for more diverse faces? or is it something completely different?

Well ... there's a keyword based function in Fo4 Papyrus that lets you set expressions. There are eight or so, but it seems to cover the basics. Crazy used this to make everyone look happy. I've made added expression keyword parameters so you can determine the expression on each participant. So if you want one party looking blissful while the other snarls defiance, we can probably do that.

Where I am missing F4SE is in storage extensions like StorageUtil or JContainers. If I make the API a quest based script, then there's only storage for one sex act at a time: if I keep an array of clothing to re-equip, starting a second, concurrent scene will overwrite the first one. I can get round that with aliases, but managing them is a pain and it's not really a proper solution.

There is a trick I used before with placing statics in a test cell and giving each static a script that stores context data. That will work if nothing else does.

[edit]

Crazy solves the problem by using an enchantment as the weapon effect and then storing context in the active magic effect. The trouble with that is that you can't parameterise a spell cast. and the ActiveMagicEffect isn't easily accessible. So we'd be faced with writing a new spell for each combination of idles, expressions and anything else we might wish to vary. And of course, magic effects are only really good for two  participants - caster and target. Crazy works around for NPC/NPC scenes by asking the player to select them via menus ... but that wont work if you want a scene where Nora gets a supermutant spit-roasting. (Although to be fair, when a supermutant says "spit roast" he usually means "spit roast" and not what we tend to think of ...)

Ok, tried Crazy's v2.7.........Target 1 (giver) moves, but target 2 (receiver) does not. Also, there is the occasional alignment problem when the player is NOT involved.

When you say target 2 doesn't move - do you mean they perform the idle without moving into place, or that they move into place but don't do the idle loop? Or both? Do they get as far as stripping?

The positioning as some clever stuff going on with an invisible static with some precisely positioned nif nodes. You put the first static under the first actor, then attach the second to a particular node. After that, you move the second actor to the second static and the placement and orientation should be spot on. It seems like a cleve way of doing things, although I'm not sure how well it'll generalise. Still if the placement nodes can't be placed for some reason, nothing is going to move.

I don't suppose you can furnish the relevant section of a log file? I'm probably not going to fix anything in Crazy's mod, but it would be nice to know what to watch out for.

The alignment is interesting. Crazy's code disables player avoidance in NPCs which seems to get around the problem with collision boxes displacing actors. That won't work if the player isn't involved though, which may be what's happening here. Not sure how to fix it if so. I know the early Skyrim stuff used rotation and displaced animation roots to get around this sort of thing. I believe better solutions were found, but I didn't keep up with side of things so I'm a little in the dark here.

One thing I do know - waiting for F4SE to let us selectively disable collision probably isn't going to work.

When you say target 2 doesn't move - do you mean they perform the idle without moving into place, or that they move into place but don't do the idle loop? Or both? Do they get as far as stripping?

For "normal doggy style" it didn't look like she moved at all........Like she was any other inanimate object in the game. Oh, and an NPC walked by & moved her a ft away. Might want a call that snaps her back to proper alignment with the player or other npc if she gets moved.

:)

EDIT: She may not move because the animation was set up that way......

?

EDIT: She may not move because the animation was set up that way......

It's possible. I must admit, my testing lasted the time between me thinking "OMG! I got it working" to "I want to generalise this!" Which is to say, not very long at all. If the problem carries over into my work, I'll look at it then :)

Getting pushed off spot could happen in SexLab too, I seem to recall. So what we probably want is a keypress that can be used to reset the position.

KeyPress detection - that's something else we need F4SE. Luckily that's something that's already implemented. Although we could hotkey an inventory option and raise a menu from there, I suppose ...

wow, hype. Thanks Doc! I thought it would be ages since I would see a modder taking this kind of work foward, don't think F4SE will come soon and it will probably be always on hold compared to SKSE64. So thank you thank you.

He's not a modder, he's a programmer. I'm a modder.

GO DOC!

:D  :lol:

Actually he is a modder (and a programmer). People who use mods and don't create them are called "users". ;)

Well, that was encouraging. Pressed the button in my test cell and my character stripped and animated. He even got dressed afterwards.

Admittedly, he seemed to be shagging the button pedestal rather than the woman provided. But it's the first functionality I've seen since re-writing everything, so I'm calling it progress :)

Do you already have any ideas about initial positions for Actors ?

As far as i understood you´re using the same like Crazy does in his mod ?

Would be good to know where actors have to be placed while animating.

OK: Crazy's gun sticks a marker under the player. The marker has a node called "Front01" and that gets used to place a secondary marker. Then the primary actor is moved to the main one (if not already there) and the secondary actor is moved to the other one.

So this of course is why my guy ended up sexing up a button stand. He pushed the button to start the process and so ended up looking at a button for the duration. As a result, I'm adding a start_marker parameter so you can give the call any marker and it'll place the primary node on the marker.

I don't have any idea how widely applicable his is going to be with animations other than Crazy's. I mean we can make the system work, and it seems to have advantages over tweaking offsets and rotations all over the place, but we may need several sets of node statics.

Does that help at all?

[edit]

We have correct actor placement and stripping, we have animation. The only problem is that the disable input layer is being a bit overzealous and preventing me from changing the mouse angle. So I can't see what's going on except for the heels on Deb's shoes just peeking over the bottom of the view port.

So player controls are the next thing to fix.

Do you already have any ideas about initial positions for Actors ?

As far as i understood you´re using the same like Crazy does in his mod ?

Would be good to know where actors have to be placed while animating.

OK: Crazy's gun sticks a marker under the player. The marker has a node called "Front01" and that gets used to place a secondary marker. Then the primary actor is moved to the main one (if not already there) and the secondary actor is moved to the other one.

So there is already an offset on Y(?) axis and maybe rotations.

I think easiest way to find out would be to just override one of the animations and see what happens.

Wouldn´t it be better to have a single marker with like 4 or 5 postions ?

This way you just have to place the marker root at the root of any actor and place the other actors to their postions.

Could cause problems for changing the position of a single actor though...

So there is already an offset on Y(?) axis and maybe rotations.

I think easiest way to find out would be to just override one of the animations and see what happens.

Sounds sensible. How do I do that? I should probably say up front that nifskope and animation are generally areas where I'm weakest, so forgive me if I ask the occasional newbie question.

Wouldn´t it be better to have a single marker with like 4 or 5 postions ?

This way you just have to place the marker root at the root of any actor and place the other actors to their postions.

Could cause problems for changing the position of a single actor though...

Well, nothing's set in stone at the moment, and currently I'm still trying to work out how some of this stuff works. Certainly I'm not sure of the pros and cons of the approach yet.

Latest progress:

Two party animation works! Actual penetration taking place! Admittedly she ddin't bother getting undressed now I can see her, and the controls still stay locked, but it's moving in the right direction.

Archived