General 3d help.

xkb

Good day all,

I know it is a bit off-topic however I don’t know where else to ask. I would like to create my own mods however I don't know where to start, every video tutorial I have seen leads me to view 10 more videos to understand the first one and to understand the last 10, I have to view a 100 more. If someone could point me in the right direction to start modelling, rigging and animating with Maya or 3ds max it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Honestly I would start with something like Lynda.com, or just find general Maya or 3DS Max tutorials until you get the hang of the software, assuming you're not already familiar with them. Then you can find specific tutorials for the game(s) you wish to mod.

These tutorials might help:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/9204-an-introduction-to-3ds-max-and-skyrim/

Also look up nightasy tutorials on youtube. He did a series of Skyrim+3DS Max tutorials. Most of what I know about Skyrim modding came from there.

Good day all,

I know it is a bit off-topic however I don’t know where else to ask.

How about the off-topic section?

I would like to create my own mods however I don't know where to start, every video tutorial I have seen leads me to view 10 more videos to understand the first one and to understand the last 10, I have to view a 100 more. If someone could point me in the right direction to start modelling, rigging and animating with Maya or 3ds max it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Watching tutorials by themselves won't help you much to get better. You actually need to start using whatever software you are trying to master. In case you are unsure I'd recommend to start with Blender. It's main selling point is that it is free and you can find free tutorials and help on literally everything it offers on the web.

A good starting point is Blender 3D: Noob to Pro, which you can find here: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Thanks for the advice. Blender is too complicated I can't make heads or tails out of it. What I am most interested in is animation, I thought sfm could be the solution however I can't download it because of an error also the file size is insane. Maybe if someone knows of a program where models could be edited easily and animations could be similar to a game interface then I could start there.

I don't know why people get so offended when people ask for help with 3d modeling, it's not like I can go to classes for this stuff in fact Ive never even found a place where I could learn 3d modeling, not in this country anyway. Not to mention I don't have endless resources to continue downloading hundreds of videos that don't teach me anything.

Watching tutorials by themselves won't help you much to get better.

I know, why do you think I'm asking for help?

You actually need to start using whatever software you are trying to master.

What do you think I've been doing?

If someone could point me in the right direction to start modelling

Why is this such a difficult question to answer, I'm not asking for people to hold my hand, I just want to know where to start.

I'd recommend to start with Blender. It's main selling point is that it is free and you can find free tutorials and help on literally everything it offers on the web.

Pointing me to a to another program doesn't help, I need help learning to model etc not finding another program. Blender might be free but so far I'm not finding anything that helps me in "noob to pro" in fact it starts a lesson then ends mid way not to mention that anything I've exported from blender is a heap of rubbish when imported to anything else. So far 3ds max and Maya are more user friendly in my opinion.

xkb, on 27 Mar 2017 - 4:52 PM, said:snapback.png

Good day all,

I know it is a bit off-topic however I don’t know where else to ask.

How about the off-topic section?

I was referring to loverslab since I just get snide remarks on other sites.

Thanks to MikeJones84 for a genuine attempt to help, unfortunately I still have a long way to go.

I don't know why people get so offended when people ask for help with 3d modeling, it's not like I can go to classes for this stuff in fact Ive never even found a place where I could learn 3d modeling, not in this country anyway. Not to mention I don't have endless resources to continue downloading hundreds of videos that don't teach me anything.

I'm not the one being offended, judging by this weirdly delayed reaction.

You don't know how google works.

Trying to start arguments on the internet. Not trying to learn 3D.

Why is this such a difficult question to answer, I'm not asking for people to hold my hand, I just want to know where to start.

I gave you a perfectly fine tutorial, from which to build a basic understanding of 3D concepts, as well as an in-depth guide on how to use one of the most intricate 3D programs available.

Pointing me to a to another program doesn't help, I need help learning to model etc not finding another program. Blender might be free but so far I'm not finding anything that helps me in "noob to pro" in fact it starts a lesson then ends mid way not to mention that anything I've exported from blender is a heap of rubbish when imported to anything else. So far 3ds max and Maya are more user friendly in my opinion.

Actually, it does. But then again, you must be living in a country where no education is available, yet you can afford to buy 3D programs worth several thousand dollars.

I was referring to loverslab since I just get snide remarks on other sites.

Gee, I wonder why that is.

Blender is not too difficult, you just need to know how the UI works, and build from there. animating is suppose to have a steap learning curve. in order to animate you need to first master the other areas first.

Do keep in mind blender is free tool and every new version is chalenge in it self. also in time even the ui could change but luckily blender has way to make the ui work the way you want it to work. older version had an even bigger steap learning curve. due too lot of options missing.

Maybe you will have better help if you asked here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/17279-so-you-want-to-make-animations-the-pose-animation-blender-and-nifskope-tutorial-compendium/

I'm not the one being offended, judging by this weirdly delayed reaction.

I'm reacting to being ignored when asking for help.

You don't know how google works.

Google gives me results like your dumb comments and videos like I have explained before.

Trying to start arguments on the internet. Not trying to learn 3D.

Spelling things out so people like you can understand as you obviously failed every comprehension test you were ever given. Your sarcasm and out of context reply shows ineptitude to the relevancy of the topic.

I gave you a perfectly fine tutorial, from which to build a basic understanding of 3D concepts, as well as an in-depth guide on how to use one of the most intricate 3D programs available.

I'd recommend to start with Blender. It's main selling point is that it is free and you can find free tutorials and help on literally everything it offers on the web.

A good starting point is Blender 3D: Noob to Pro

You said use blender and read noob to pro, and I already addressed your answer, so to reiterate it starts a lesson then ends mid way and it has importing and exporting problems (again - no comprehension of what you read).

Actually, it does. But then again, you must be living in a country where no education is available, yet you can afford to buy 3D programs worth several thousand dollars.

It does what?..... No education?...really, from someone who can't understand what he reads. What does the affordability  have to do with the quote? Using a quote as reference to an answer implies that the answer addresses the quote so if you mean that pointing me to blender helps then read again, I'm tired of using quotes. As for the affordability - I was introduced to it by a friend with whom I no longer have contact, and now I'm using trial versions of the software. As to your earlier statement saying that I was picking fights - once again I was making a statement and using your comments as examples of what I have to deal with, spelling things out using common sense because it looks like you make assumptions like I've never used google before asking for help or tried other software or looked for tutorials or classes .You really should make less assumptions it makes you look stupid.

Yup, that's right, it's my reading comprehension that is the problem.

In any case, I don't want to engage in this pissing match anymore.

I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavours. Don't be surprised if every advice you get, looks similar to the ones you've already been given.

Too bad you feel that way about blender with time it could have been something totally different but for 3dmax or maya i am no good 

Osa mod maker for skyrim did build full tutorial with 3dmax in mind: http://0s-mod.tumblr.com/0S/G/ not sure if his blog is still available but he was the only one currently making seamless animations.

I can see why you feel that way about blender tutorials on youtube or else where. me i never even learned from the tutorials on line the only thing i really needed was the set of keys printed on peace of paper, and just started to learn blender on my own. i am one of those types that just dont learn from tutorials at all i am more of praktical learner. so everything i do is from my own experiences. 

And if you ever want to give blender a fair trial: https://blenderartists.org/forum/index.php?s=c6cc5df8fe392fe6485997500bee88d5 Try here this site was made from real blender professionals They have tutorials for everything.

btw you never mentioned for what purpose you wanted to animate was it for a specific game or your own stuff etc.. 

If Blender is too difficult for you then I advice to just give up on animation. I am 100% fully proficient in both Blender and 3dsMax and animation is too hard for even me. Rigging, weight painting, ik setups and physics.... after 7 years of education I decided to specialize in moddeling and rendering. Good luck with that in any case.

Archived