Starting animation in 3dsmax 2017?

Hi, I wanted to get involved into animation in Skyrim.

I see with most guides that you either need max 2010 or 2012.

The problem is, as a student, I only have access to max 2017.

I do see that Blender is another option, but I want to use Max since I'm way more familiar with it.

Is there any way to get the tools needed for animating working in Max 2017 or to get the 2010-2012 version?

Thanks in advance.

Is there any way to get the tools needed for animating working in Max 2017 or to get the 2010-2012 version?

none that i know of, and without the havok content tools you cant export animations from max to skyrim anyways.

so in your case i think you would be better off using Blender 2.49b

but if you want to use max, supposedly it's possible to export fbx files from max and import them into Blender, but i have never tried that so i don't know what problems you would run into.

none that i know of, and without the havok content tools you cant export animations from max to skyrim anyways.

so in your case i think you would be better off using Blender 2.49b

but if you want to use max, supposedly it's possible to export fbx files from max and import them into Blender, but i have never tried that so i don't know what problems you would run into.

Alright, I've been using Blender yesterday since nobody responded, and I'm kinda used to it already.

I do see that Blender is another option, but I want to use Max since I'm way more familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.

As someone who uses MODO and has run into the occasional "incompatibility" problem on multiple platforms due to the obsolete nature of their formats; I suggest you do your work in your MAX, export to FBX, then import into Blender, and re-export into whatever format you need using Blender's plugins... Blender is pretty reliable as a format conversion program. :)

Thanks in advance.

As someone who uses MODO and has run into the occasional "incompatibility" problem on multiple platforms due to the obsolete nature of their formats; I suggest you do your work in your MAX, export to FBX, then import into Blender, and re-export into whatever format you need using Blender's plugins... Blender is pretty reliable as a format conversion program. :)

That looks good to me.

Thanks for the info :)

Archived