Note to moderators: I'm not entirely sure where I should put this, so I just slapped it down here. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Also, are there any relevant tags I should include?

HUGE WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

Since Bethesda has a tendency (a good one, for the most part) of learning from their previous games (and mods on previous games) and applying those lessons to their next games, I feel it is important to look at Fallout 4 and how the changes made for that game may impact the next Elder Scrolls game.

Now, this isn't guaranteed, of course. Fallout 3 went with an XP+Level system, for example, while Skyrim opted to make an entirely different leveling system. But there are some holdovers. Oblivion introduced the idea of skill level-based perks (i.e. an Apprentice Blade skill gains the ability to do a 3x damage power attack), Fallout 3 iterated on that, Skyrim took it to the next level with chooseable perks that are tied to the skill level but granted by character level. And Fallout 4 doubled down on that. The mechanics from popular mods in Morrowind made it to Oblivion, popular mods in Oblivion were reflected in Fallout 3, same from Fo3 to Skyrim, etc. I've never played ESO, so I can't say for sure, but my WAG here would be that very little if anything from ESO will make it into the next game aside from maybe some books.

Now, it's way WAY too early to make any actual educated guesses about what's going to happen to the next ES game, but it's never too early to make wild-ass guesses.

Similar to this UESP page, I'll make my own set of WAGs based on what I know about Fallout 4 (which is, admittedly not a whole hell of a lot).

I'd like complimentary or contradictory predictions too - what do you folks think?

I realize there is likely to be a bit of "this game is crap vs this game is awesome" and "bethesda is god vs bethesda is the devil" in the comments, and gods know I'm not one to shy away from derailing a thread. But if possible let's keep away from personal attacks? I'm interested in opinions, since that's all we have at this point, and opinions are naturally contentious, but if at all possible let's keep it civil, shall we?

Oh, and please feel free to put your wishlists here too. If you want to see spears in the next game, by all means YELL ABOUT IT BECAUSE SPEARS ARE AWESOME AND BETHESDA IS EVIL FOR NOT INCLUDING THEM.

Let's go ahead and start with that wiki page. I think I'll just copy the topics over directly.
Since I know there's a hard character (or word?) limit on posts you can make on LL topics, and what I've written is getting pretty damn wordy, here's hoping this copies right over. If not, I'll probably end up making multiple posts in this thread to fit it all in.

GENERAL

• Altars/Shrines: I have no opinion on that. I don't see anything like that in Fallout 4, and the last couple of elder scrolls games kept it pretty much the same. I can't see it changing much. If I can put in my own two cents about "if I were king" here, I'd like to see some more in-depth prayer mechanic, maybe some sort of piety system, where you "sacrifice" gold or material goods to gain favor with your chosen deity. I'm not talking about a sliding-scale morality system, necessarily, just something a bit more than "donate 5 gold to the temple" kind of thing.
  • Attributes: I can see this going either way, actually. Attributes and stats are one of the major backbones of an RPG (in whatever way you define the term), and I can't see it going away completely. Skyrim made a bold move in dropping it down to only three (Health, Magicka, Stamina), and I can see that happening again. Whether you think it's "dumbing down" or "streamlining" is irrelevant, the designers (probably rightly, at least from a marketing standpoint) are more likely to keep the new system rather than going back to a more complex but true-to-ancestry attribute system. However, if we assume that Fallout 4 is the progenitor of the next ES game in this regard, I can see the line between attributes, skills, stats, and perks being blurred even further.
  • Beast Races: Although I'd love to see race-specific skeletons, equipment, and animations, it's a hell of a lot easier to make it one-size-fits-all. I can't see this changing.
  • Birthsigns: The "streamlining vs. dumbing down" argument is a popular one here too, but all I can say is I think it's unlikely they'll change the current (i.e. Skyrim-style) birthsign system - mechanically, anyway. I don't think we'll see a "pick your birthsign at character creation" option, but I can hope to be pleasantly surprised. I feel it's more likely to be either a "standing stone" style of thing, or even (gods help us) a quest reward. Collect all the birthsigns and get an achievement! Ugh.
  • Clothing options: This is a toughie. While I feel that Bethesda's stated purpose in reducing the number of worn clothing options in Skyrim was specious, they went back on that a bit in Fallout 4. Visually it makes a huge difference, because we can have armor with both metal and cloth parts, no more of this stretching business. Seriously, some of my most cringe-inducing moments from Oblivion was watching steel armor deform when performing a power attack. I haven't actually seen any of that in Fallout 4 (though to be fair I might have been overlooking it), so if I'm right I'd love to see this continue on. I don't think there will be any expansion or contraction in the number of available body slots (vanilla Bethesda games tend to use very few of the available slots, as the Devious Devices team can tell you). On the one hand, I really like the idea of more armor slots (Fallout 4 has clothing, left leg, right leg, right arm, left arm, torso, eyes, and hat - I think that's all). On the other hand, tracking down that last Daedric Pauldron in Morrowind was a bitch.
  • Container Capacity: While I'd love to see more item-specific containers (this is a sword rack. It can only hold swords. Do not put your spear in the sword rack. This is a box. It's a small box, and can only hold small items. Do not put large items in the small box.), I can't honestly see this changing. I tend to think it'd be pretty difficult to implement (I did once design a system for just this very thing, taking into account item weight, type, metatype, and dimensions, and I can see the possibility for a lot of bugs or exploits), so I think it'll probably stay the same as it is in Skyrim now, with no-limit containers and mannequins/weapon racks on the side. I can certainly see the inclusion of more item-specific display racks, though. Fallout 4 has magazine racks and bobblehead displays, though no mannequins. Maybe even different types of mannequins, that'd be sweet.
  • Cursed items: I have no opinion on this.
  • Discussion topics: Oh gods... everybody and their dog, including me, have ranted about this at length. I'm not going to get into it here, except to say I don't see the current trend changing any. :(
  • Diseases: I can't see this changing either. "Disease" has been merely a subset of magical effect since, well, Daggerfall. Mechanically there's no reason to change it. I'd love to see a more in-depth disease system, with different types requiring different cures ala Morrowind, but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Regarding Vampirism and Lycanthropy, I can certainly see them including both of those options again. I'd also like to see different TYPES of vampire and were-creature, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did or did not include that.
  • Enemy scaling: Who the fuck knows? This has been a problem for Bethesda since forever. If we take Fallout 4 as a guide, there will be dungeons filled with randomly-leveled mooks (i.e. player level +/- 3 or so) and one or more Big Bosses (depending on dungeon/location size) that are significantly higher level. While I'd love to see higher leveled enemies getting different abilities, I can't see that happening - it'll probably just be the bog-standard Big Boss has More Health thing. Unfortunately, I can also seem them adding in some sort of "Legendary" system for the next ES game too. While I don't have anything against it in theory, in practice it's mostly a one-trick pony that's been used to death in Fallout 4.
  • Fatigue/Stamina: I can see it working out just like Fallout 4. In truth, I wouldn't object to that. It's immersive (depending on your definition), it works, why mess with it? Of course, the old adage requires a bit of an overhaul when dealing with Bethesda: If it ain't broke, they'll break it.
  • Item scaling: I can see them going exclusively with a Fallout 4-style system. Unique items, aside from a few VERY unique items, won't be visually distinct, and very few of them will have unique attributes or enchantments (though see Enchantments below).
  • Moving objects: Probably no change.
  • NPC Audio: Probably no change. If the current trend continues, there will be (insert pro- or anti-Fo4 argument of your choice here). Personally, I'm very much against the idea of them continuing with the current dialogue system. I also don't seem them changing.
  • NPC Protection: The system introduced in Skyrim and kept in Fallout 4 won't change, I think. Which is fine, it works for the most part, though personally I feel that the sheer number of NPCs with plot armor is a bit excessive. I'm not sure where "Legendary" NPCs fit on this list, but it really doesn't matter.
  • NPC Schedules: Probably no change. Ideally there would be a major overhaul of their AI system to make it more robust and tamper-friendly (i.e. if you stop, delay, or help an NPC complete a task [such as cutting wood, going to bed, or assassinating a target], there will be positive or negative consequences), but I can't see Bethesda doing much with this.
  • Owning Property: Hmm... there's been a steady evolution in Bethesda games when talking about housing. Daggerfall let you buy pre-furnished houses (and ships!), Morrind the same but then let you decorate it (by placing items in the world). Oblivion the same. Skyrim introduced a build-your-own-from-a-list-of-choices with Hearthfire, and Fallout 4 went the Sims route. I'd be willing to be that there will be the equivalent of settlement building, either house-specific or actual settlements. I wouldn't be surprised if there are different objects allowed depending on what kind of settlement you build (building a mine gives you access to rails and mine carts, building a fort gives you access to murder holes and drawbridges, etc). I tend to think this will remain largely mechanically unchanged, though. I also tend to think there won't be as many PLACES you can put your "settlements" as there are in Fallout 4 - maybe half a dozen, one more per DLC? Just a wild guess there. For all I know it'll be ten times as many. I would love to see more quests built around the concept, and not the "your settlement is under attack" or "raiders captured my friend" style of quests, but more actually linear ones. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the radiant system has gotten out of hand here, and introducing a bit of railroading and linear quests would be ideal for me. Something along the lines of Morrowind's Raven Rock instead of Fallout 4's Genericville Anytown.
  • Physics: Yea, there will be physics, unto the tenth generation. And thou SHALL occasionally curse Havok for its wonkiness, and take the name of the LORD in vain to relieve thine frustrations. Amen.
  • Sleeping and waiting: Personally, I dislike the inability to wait without sitting or sleeping that Fallout 4 has, but it's not the end of the world. On the whole, I really couldn't care less. It'll probably be the same basic mechanic as exists in Skyrim / Fallout 4 - no trespassing, no enemies nearby, must be on land, etc.
  • Speechcraft: If the current trend continues, I'll be sad, but I won't be surprised.
  • Swimming: Probably no change.
  • Swimming and combat: I tend to think, without any real hard evidence, that swimming and combat was attempted but eventually discarded in Fallout 4. Just look at the sheer amount of underwater content there is (and not even talking about Far Harbor). Look at the cut content. Look at the possibilities that seem to be painfully cut short. It really looks like they badly wanted more underwater exploration but were unable, due to time constraints or difficulty, to implement it. I honestly believe that swimming and combat will be one of the major things they'll be working on in the next game. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Thras DLC to take real advantage of it.
  • Vampirism: I really don't know about this one. They could go either way - simplifying back to Oblivion or non-DLC Skyrim levels, or really expanding on it. There are so many vampirism mods out there, GOOD ones, that they can't be ignorant of the marketing opportunities present. And Bethesda has a habit of implementing the functionality of popular mods in their next games. Fingers crossed...

ALCHEMY

• Creation failure: I have no idea on this one. Probably it'll mimic Fallout 4 or be some sort of Skyrim/Fo4 hybrid. I'd love to see an expansion on how poisons work, but beyond that I can't make any predictions or wishes.
  • Potion weight: Meh.
  • Detrimental Potions: One of the things about potions and poisons I'd like to see is NOT DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN THEM. If I want to coat my weapon with a health potion, by gods let me do it. Similarly, if I want to down a couple of poisons, don't stop me. I'd like to see more varied status effects from potions/poisons, and tradeoff (buff this and simultaneously debuff that) effects, that kind of thing.
  • Mega-potions: I don't know why UESP included this here. It's mostly talking about glitches and exploits, not deliberate mechanical choices. Meh.
  • Ingredient Limits: Ooh, I'd really like to see an unlimited ingredient set, ideally with every ingredient effect being present in the final potion. I designed an alchemy system once that did just that, and in test runs it worked wonderfully. Players could create a HUGE variety of potions with varied and interesting effects. Ingredients didn't have multiple effects, each one only had a single effect, but those effects would play off whatever else you put in it. Fire+Explosive gave you a potion that, when thrown, would blow up in a fireball, when drunk would really hurt, when used to coat a weapon would make the next strike blast the enemy back with fire. Health+explosion, you get the idea. Make a potion of a glowing ingredient, when you drink it your skin glows. Throw the glowing potion for a flashbang grenade. And now I'm digressing into a list of wanted effects, so I'll cut it off here. The point was - Ingredient Limits. I'd like to see them removed.
  • Potion limits: Rather than get into the realism-vs-fun argument, I'll just say that I like the current way of doing it - drink (or eat) as many items at one time as you want. I like the system introduced in Fallout New Vegas and continued in Fallout 4 where the items would take some time to take full effect (non-instant healing, that kind of thing). I can't see this changing for the next game either.
  • Equipment: They've doubled down on the whole "workbench" thing, gotten rid of the "carry your smithing hammer and alembic around" thing. I don't feel that this is a bad idea at all, and in any case I can't seem them changing that for the next game.
  • Potion strength: Meh.
  • Undiscovered effects: Like I said, I'd love for ingredients to have a single effect. Undiscovered is perfect, learnable from NPCs or recipes or experimentation. As for what I think WILL happen, I have no idea. Probably they'll shy away from Fallout 4 (mostly because Fallout 4 didn't really have an ALCHEMY system) and stick with what's currently in Skyrim.

COMBAT

• Armor Weights: I can see it going either way, actually. Personally I like the RPG aspect of Morrowind (and to a lesser extent Skyrim)'s armor weight system, but overall I prefer how they did it with Fallout 4. I guess I won't be disappointed, or surprised, either way.
  • Armor and weapon condition: Another one for the realism-vs-fun gang, with an added twist that the "realism" gang really doesn't know what realism is for the most part. I think they'll probably stick with the Skyrim/Fo4 system (no item degredation), and I have no problem with that. Regarding improvements, however, I can certainly see them wanting to add in a Fallout 4-style "mod" system, but I can't see how. What do you "mod" to a sword, anyway? I once made up a system for modding such melee weapons (Barbed, reinforced, spiked, weighted, etcetera etcetera etcetera), and there are plenty of things you can do with various types of melee and ranged weapons... but I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. I can only pray to the gods they don't do something like making the item MATERIAL be the mod. Start out with an iron sword. Want to improve it? Find an Ebony ingot and suddenly you've got an Ebony sword! I can see Beth doing that, and it scares me.
  • Attack types: Probably just how it is with Skyrim, with normal and power attacks, modified or improved with perks. There's a bit of an ideological difference in attack types between these two genras. Fallout games naturally tend more to the ranged weapons, and ES games naturally tend more to melee with a side order of bows and magic. In practice, both melee and ranged combat styles are more varied in fantasy games, while weapon types are more varied in non-fantasy games. But you could definitely make an argument to the contrary. Back to the point - probably stick with normal and power attacks.
  • Blocking: Gods, please don't test my reflexes and timing. I am not the kind of gamer who goes in for that kind of combat. Fallout 4's blocking system sucks rocks. I can certainly understand the reason for it, and I don't fault them for doing it, but I don't like how it plays out. The problem is, doing it the Fo4 way is both more "realistic" and is actually quite fun for a large subset of the gamer population, so it'll probably go that route. I'd argue that "realism" takes a back seat when you can block a sledgehammer blow with your knife, but I'm in the minority here.
  • Chance to hit: I really can't see them doing anything different. And I can't disagree with that either. Chance to hit works perfectly in a tabletop game, but really poorly on the computer.
  • Enemy pursuit: I don't see this changing. I'd really love to see some upgrades to the stealth/search system though.
  • HTH/Unarmed: I don't really know why, but for some reason HTH gets more love in the Fallout universe than it does in the Elder Scrolls universe. You'd think it'd be the other way around, but in Fallout 3 and 4 you could make a perfectly viable unarmed build, while trying to do so in Oblivion or Skyrim is tantamount to attempted suicide. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they go either way with this, and honestly I don't really care. It isn't my cup of tea anyway.
  • Ranged weapons: The Elder Scrolls trend has been to continually reduce the number and type of ranged weapons, focusing instead on magic. While I'm sure it's a lot easier to do this from a design perspective, I'd love to see more ranged weapon types. I'd love to see a skill tree based around throwing weapons too - not just specific "throwing knives" and the like, but the ability to accurately and dangerously throw random objects. Let my Elder Scrolls fists be the Fallout Junk Jet! Damage type, amount, and side effects based on what kind of item it is! Throw potions at the enemy! Pick up a chair and toss it! (this last one is undoubtedly way off, and would include far too many major design changes). While I'd like to see this kind of thing, I don't think it'll happen. We'll probably get Bows. Just Bows. Which is fine, but... sigh.
  • Sets of armor: Probably they'll stick with the Fallout 4 system. Maybe modified, maybe some added, but probably not much difference.
  • Skills: This goes hand in hand with "attributes" above, and there's no real reason to get into it again.
  • Used arrows: Probably same as Skyrim.
  • Weapon damage: Probably no change. Going back to a morrowind-style system is out of the question at this point, and just like chance to hit, works better in a different sort of game anyway.
  • Weapon materials: While there have been minor changes in weapon materials in all the Elder Scrolls games, overall things have remained pretty consistent. I can't see that changing. But I'm still worried about the material type being moddable.
  • Weapon options: Like many things in the ES games, there's been a simplification trend. My opinion on these things varies between subjects, and weapon types is one I'd like to see more complexity in rather than less. Bethesda would probably simplify further, but honestly I can't see HOW they'd do that at this point. So it'll probably be similar if not identical to the Skyrim way.

COMMERCE

• Closed Shops: Probably stick with the current system. I can't see it changing and I think that's a good thing.
  • Items for sale: As much as I'd like to see an overhaul of the "stolen items" system, I can't see it changing. It's too damn difficult to do it any other way. I'd like to see a sort of "browsing" mode, where you can pick up items, examine them minutely, maybe use them a bit (to the tune of swinging a sword but not drinking a potion), and then put it back down or go and buy it. But that's probably asking too much. Probably they'll stick with the current method.
  • Merchant gold: Probably stick with the Skyrim system... maybe. Economic overhaul mods are pretty popular, though, so... I dunno. In truth, I don't honestly care all that much, aside from complaining a bit that merchants will buy a hundred sets of bloodstained fur armor without qualm.
  • Merchants equipping items: While this could reasonably be seen as a bug in Morrowind that was fixed in future games (mostly), I'd actually not object to this as a deliberate decision. If I sell a daedric artifact to a merchant, wouldn't that be something he'd be interested in? Equip that Masque of Clavicus Vile and make a major profit for the rest of your life!
  • Possession of Skooma: Skooma, and drugs in general, deserve far more attention than they've gotten since Morrowind. And even there it was just a little nod. Since the prevailing sociopolitical climate is a primary decider of drug and sex content in video games, it's really tough to say what'll happen. Probably nothing different from Skyrim/Fo4.
  • Prices/haggling: This more or less goes hand-in-hand with what I said about Merchant Gold, and in any case has varied wildly in all of these Bethesda games. It's tough to make any sort of prediction.
  • Transactions: Same deal as the other stuff I've said. Wait and see is my attitude.
  • Visible player inventory: Meh.

CRIME

• Fences: Probably similar to Skyrim, possibly Oblivion, probably not Morrowind/Fo4.
  • Enforcement of Bounty: Tough to tell. While there will undoubtedly be a crime-and-punishment system, enforced by guards and possibly with a reputation system attached, the setting of the game makes a big difference. Different bounties in different holds worked well in Skyrim. That sort of thing feels like it could work in Cyrodiil, but probably not as well. Any sort of heavily-civilized region (Summerset, maybe, or High Rock) will probably have a more unified system, whereas a wild or lawless place (Black Marsh, maybe?) might work more like Fallout 4. I can't make any predictions here.
  • Guards' Reactions: Again, tough to tell. Might depend on the setting. At the very least I'm sure that if guards see you committing a crime or if you murder someone in broad daylight, they'll come to arrest or kill you.
  • Jail: Again, depends on the setting. Come to think of it, the whole economic system also kind of depends on setting too. Pretend I've retconned that above.
  • Killing Guards: Maybe I should just put "ditto" for the rest of these.
  • Notification of Illegality: Ditto
  • Payment of Bounty: Ditto
  • Stolen Items: Ditto, with a side order of "it would be nice to see this improved but it probably won't happen."

FACTIONS/GUILDS

• Advancement: Bethesda has a bad habit, and this trend is only getting stronger, of making you the Grand Poobah of a group for very little reason and on quick association. If this trend continues, we can expect the player to become leader of a faction after one quest, or maybe start the game as leader of all factions. Snarkiness aside, I actually think it'll probably be similar to how Skyrim does it, with essentially only two ranks (Initiate and Primary Leader) being visible/important to the player, and other ranks having no real impact on play.
  • Becoming Guild Master: See above.
  • Exclusivity: While it makes thematic sense, Bethesda doesn't generally like doing this. At least, it's seemed that way since Oblivion. Skyrim had a bit of a nod to this with Dawnguard/Vampires, but the Stormcloak/Imperial questline was pretty much identical no matter what side you picked, the only changes being mostly cosmetic at the end. I'll talk a bit more about this later.
  • Ownership: Probably same as in Skyrim.
  • Quest-related NPCs: See my comments on NPC Protection above.

LYCANTHROPY
Not only does this whole section depend on setting, but I've already said it's a tough call to make.
The actual mechanics of it I don't see changing much from Skyrim.

MAGIC

• Adverse Enchantments: I can't see Beth going back to Morrowind/Oblivion with this, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.
  • Bound Items: Again, I wouldn't be surprised either way on this one.
  • Casting Spells: Undoubtedly they'll stick with the Skyrim system. At least, the trend has led to that, and I can't see it changing.
  • Custom Spells: Probably not included, unfortunately. There may or may not be custom modded enchantments though (see below).
  • Deleting Spells: Meh.
  • Detect Spells: I can see it going either way - either sticking with a simple Detect Life/Detect Dead, simplifying to some sort of Aura Whisper effect, or increasing the number of detect spells and including detect item effects again. I wouldn't be surprised at any of these, though I tend to think they'll either simplify it or keep it like it is in SKyrim.
  • Effects of Armor and Fatigue: Probably no change from Skyrim.
  • Enchant Capacity: Meh.
  • Enchanted Items: I see the Fallout 4 trend (Legendary gear) continuing. I can also see "enchanting" being a magical equivalent of modding or improving weapons and armor, though. For example, I can see them adding an upgrade slot for soulgems. It might even vary based on item type - you can't "improve" a staff, but if you "enchant" it, it will visibly change (runes, sticky-outy-bits, gemstones, etc) based on the kind of enchantment. I have no real objection to this, but time will tell.
  • Enchanting: Probably go skill-less enchanting, some sort of cross between Oblivion and Fallout 4 would be my guess. Anyone can enchant any item if you have a big enough (filled) soul gem and an open item slot, and you must use an enchanting table or altar.
  • Enchanting Effects: Probably learning new effects will work the same as in Skyrim? I guess? I can't see any real reason to change that.
  • Equipping Spells: Probably the same as in Skyrim.
  • Magic Schools: Again, I don't think Beth will buck the trend of oversimplification. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if enchanting "schools" goes away completely, and skill trees are based on something else (maybe one for combat spells, one for noncombat spells, that kind of thing?) Who knows, but I'm pretty pessimistic on this score.
  • Magicka Regeneration: Uh. I dunno.
  • Necromancy: Tough to say. Necromancy is difficult to do when you've got the possibility of creatures with missing body parts (severed heads, legs, that kind of thing). On the other hand, Fo4's robots and ghouls provide a solid foundation for dealing with that problem. I can certainly see this being expanded upon from Skyrim.
  • Powers: Probably the same as Skyrim, but I can see it going the Fo4 route (i.e. always-on or chance-based activation) instead. If you had to pin me down on this, I'd say probably a mix of the two, possibly with "lesser" powers being chance-based and/or always-on, and "greater" powers being deliberately activated. Perks vs. spells, mechanically speaking.
  • Recharging and magical items: Probably the same as in Skyrim? But I dunno, really.
  • Removed spells: The trend is to simplify, in practice this means removing more spell effects. But I believe that while trimming the fat is possible when there is fat to trim, with Skyrim they've already dropped or crippled whatever they could and there's NOTHING LEFT TO GET RID OF. But we should not underestimate Bethesda's abilities when it comes to removing options.
  • Soul Gems: Probably the same as Skyrim.
  • Spell Failure: Just like to-hit chances, I don't see this changing. And that's a good thing... for the most part. Specific spell effects that reduce this 100% chance or outright make it fail wouldn't be a bad addition, though.
  • Spellcasting and Armor: Didn't we already go over this above?
  • Staffs: I really don't know on this. There's no steady trend when it comes to staffs. I'd say there's no real reason to change how they did it in Skyrim (note that I'm not saying it's better than other ways, just that I don't think it'll change because there's been no real outcry against it or mods that affect staffs).
  • Summoning: Probably the same as in Skyrim or Oblivion.
  • Telekinesis: Since game designers love their Havok, I really can't see this going away. I can certainly see it being improved, though.

QUESTS

• Items: I don't see this changing from Oblivion/Skyrim/Fo4. They've got a decent system. It's got some unfortunate bugs and quirks, but for the most part it works.
  • Daedric Quests: I can't see this changing any. I was kind of surprised that the Divines didn't each have their own quest like the Daedra did in Skyrim, though. That goes against Bethesda's general trends, and personally I think it was something they should have included. Still, it is entirely possible that they're running out of ideas at this point. How many ways can you dress up kill or fetch quests, anyway?
  • Journal organization: The Skyrim/Fo4 method will probably be continued. Although I can certainly see them trying something new here. Bethesda games have seemed to go in pairs, with new and overhauled mechanics being introduced in an ES game and then being tweaked or improved in a Fallout game. Es4+Fo3, Es5+Fo4. They're due for another bout of experimentation, and now that I think about it, every point where I've said "probably the same as in Skyrim or Fallout 4" is up for grabs.
  • Locks: I honestly don't see this changing. Oblivion, Fo3, Skyrim, and Fo4 all used basically the same system, so it'll probably stick. I'd love to see an improvement in the lockpicking minigame, but it probably won't happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they did include multiple backgrounds though (one for dwemer locks, one for wooden chests, etc).
  • Map Markers: See "Journal Organization" above.

SKILLS
I've been over this whole section in a couple of different ways before.
In general, I think it'll be even more streamlined, but like I said above, they've already "trimmed the fat" so much there's not much left to trim. I guess you could combine one and two handed, combine light and heavy armor, combine pickpocket/sneak/lockpicking, combine magic schools, etc. Hell, for all I know there will be three attributes (Health, Magicka, Stamina) and three skill trees (Combat, Magic, Stealth) and they'll get rid of skills entirely. Now that I look at what I just wrote, it seems frighteningly likely.

STEALTH
I think we've been over all this in previous sections.

TRAVEL
Maybe I'm just losing steam for writing here, but I don't want to go through the whole list again when it seems mostly like the current way of doing things (basically unchanged since Oblivion) will continue.
One thing I'd absolutely LOVE to see is better doors - that is, doors that don't forget that they're doors just because an NPC used it up to ten seconds before I did. I saw a bit of that in Skyrim, and it happens all. The. Damned. TIME. in Fallout 4.

OTHER NOTES/MISC

• Setting: Lots of theories on this one. Where will it take place? And, in truth, the setting can really influence some of the other guesses here too. I might expect Diseases or Poisons to be pretty tame or not much different if the next game takes place in Summerset Isle, but if it takes place in Black Marsh, I'd expect a lot more thought to go into it. That kind of thing.
  • Body types and body parts: Fallout 4 took an interesting tack and added a third dimension to their body scaling. I believe this will certainly make it into the next game. Whether we'll see a return to slider-based body construction or keep with a pick-your-features-off-a-list is anyone's guess, but I would assume they'll stick with the newer system. Knowing Bethesda, we'll get 2,147,483,647 beard options. Going back to "beast races" for a minute, I wouldn't be surprised if they did or did not include some sort of race-specific morphing.
  • Modding support: Whether or not you think it would be a good idea for Bethesda to bite the bullet and make a new engine rather than patching the old one (for the record, I think it would actually be a bad idea at this point) will probably influence what will happen here. Modding support has been a cornerstone of Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind, and I really can't see that changing. Just think of the monetization opportunities for the corporation! But HOW modding is supported (in terms of "what can modders do to the game" will certainly change if they do build a new engine from scratch.
  • Survival: They learned a real lesson with Frostfall. I haven't played Fallout 4 in Survival Mode, and the arguments against it are mostly the standard "this is buggy" with a few mods that alter minor aspects of it, so I feel there will probably be a survival mode, either a difficulty level, a flag, or something like that.
  • Multi-ending quests and "white hat-black hat": I'm not sure what to call this discussion point, really. Bethesda has a tendency to make halfhearted attempts to allow both play styles. In general, their paladin-factions and questlines (fighters guild, knightly orders, etc) are well developed but mostly bland, their black hats (thieves guild, assassin's guild) are colorful but generic. Nuka World valiantly tried to present an alternative play style that paralleled the good-guy route, but it didn't really pan out all the way. I could write a whole big article on this subject, but there's no reason to get into that here. Suffice to say that I'd absolutely LOVE there to be the possibility choose between (for example) Daedra and Divines, both in single quests and in longer questlines. Preferably without any sort of morality scale. That's one thing from Fallout 3 I'm glad is gone, even though I admittedly loved it in earlier (non-Bethesda) Fallout games.
  • Descendants: I'm talking about Nuka Cola Quantum, Nirnroot, that kind of thing. Fallout 3 had Nuka Cola, and Quantum was a very rare item that had a quest based around it. Fallout 4 took this and fucking exploded it. Now there are a dozen different flavors, Quantum is everywhere in the vanilla game, and there's a whole goddamn DLC based around the thing. Nirnroot was a special unique thing with a minor quest in Oblivion, and in Skyrim you can't take ten steps along a riverbank without finding one, there's another unique type that only lives underground, it's now a generic ingredient, and what happened to this thing? Nirnroot was supposed to be extremely rare, and now merchants sell it at the corner shop! Bethesda has a bad habit of doing this, turning easter eggs or one-off "this item is so rare only three have ever been found" in one game into collect-a-thons with an achievement for finding 100 of the damned things in the next game. There are other examples, but Quantum and Nirnroots are the most egregious.
  • Arenas: Why is it that each game has to have some sort of fighting arena? Even when, as in Skyrim or Fallout 4, it's been cut out - you can tell they really wanted to include it. Which designer is it that pushes so hard for this damned repetitive and boring thing? And will the other designers continue to have the nerve to tell this dude "not this time, sonny Jim?" Tune in next game for the answers! 
  • Fallout 4 and 4 DLC (Far Harbor and Point Lookout respectively) had a sort of crazypants drug-induced hallucination trip. Point Lookout did it better, actually. Who is this designer, and can we find him a mansion filled with diamonds? I know a lot of people absolutely hated Point Lookout, and in truth I can see some of their arguments. Lots of people hated Far Harbor and I'm on board with some of that. But in general, I love those DLC, and in particular the cult that makes you drink a strange brew and you go tripping. For that matter, I liked Crucible and Dementia far more than I liked Mania in the Shivering Isles. Maybe I'm just attracted to that kind of thing. Am I alone?

Hitting the "post" button, let's see if the character count was too high...

Isn't it kinda early?  The game probably won't be out until 2020.

Anyway, I would like to see some speculation in the engines.  Most likely that the next Elder Scrolls will be on idTech, however, I don't know enough to understand the implications. 

Isn't it kinda early?  The game probably won't be out until 2020.

Anyway, I would like to see some speculation in the engines.  Most likely that the next Elder Scrolls will be on idTech, however, I don't know enough to understand the implications. 

Extremely early. Pointlessly early, in fact. I was just looking at the UESP and thinking about it and decided to write about it, and after that there didn't seem to be much point in keeping a text file on the desktop for the next few years, so I copied and pasted here.  :D

After Fallout 4, I definitely won't be hyped for the next Elder Scrolls. Nor will I buy it until its cheap on sale, unless its still utter crap like FO4 was, then I will continue playing my modded Skyrim

also my modded Skyrim looks better than fallout 4 anyway :P Maybe the next elder scrolls will look way better than even modded Skyrim can get...but if they take the complete streamline approach of FO4 into the next ES game, I just won't be it at all.

As long as it's moddable I'll definitely get it.

I dunno. Thats what I said about Fallout 4. I modded my friend's pc version (just like 3 months ago), and its the first Bethesda game I couldn't even get playable even WITH mods. It was still junk to me. I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and even 5-6 months after release, each had AMAZING mods), and while vanilla Skyrim was kinda meh...modded is beyond any game out there.

After What Bethesda Did To FO4 I Am Actually Scared Of What They Might Do To The Next Elder Scrolls .

Rip Out All The RPG And Make It A Console Game With Loading Screens Everywhere & No Open World .....

They did make Fallout 4 a themepark area with one expansion. Literally. It was a literal themepark rofl.

• 1 month later...

On the plus side: I doubt that they completley ignored  Witcher 3,and there is also Kingdom Come Deliverance(should it be good).That could give them an Indication that they have to do better in some ways.

As for me :I wanted Followers and Muskets since Elder Scrolls 4.We have Followers now,they will probablyhave some in the next game too.

Muskets, i don't think that will ever happen,even if they exist in Lore.

After What Bethesda Did To FO4 I Am Actually Scared Of What They Might Do To The Next Elder Scrolls .

Rip Out All The RPG And Make It A Console Game With Loading Screens Everywhere & No Open World .....

Sadly that's what happens when companies insist on dumbing down everything in order to appeal to the mainstream masses. Next Elder Scrolls game is very likely to be even more dumbed down then FO4 was. FO4, no matter what dialogue you choose you still accept all quests and help everybody, you can't actually be evil unless it's just killing some NPC's. Elder Scrolls games they keep 'streamlining' everything by removing entire skills. Been almost 5 and a half years an we're still unable to create new skill trees in Skyrim, only able to modify any of the existing 18 ones. Elder Scrolls 6 if/when it happens in about 6-8 years from now will likely have at most 15 skills, likely though is having about 10-12 at this rate.

No Doubt It Will Be Just The Same As FO4 Just With A Medieval Base , Rip Out All The RPG Elements And Make It A God Knows What !

I Honestly Believe Bethesda Should Take A Long Look And Play Oblivion & Morrowind Before They Create And Release The Next Elder Scrolls

That Way They Can Actually See What Fantastic RPG Games They Used To Make , Maybe They Should Have Looked And Played FO3 & FONV

Before They Created And Released That Thing Called Fallout 4 Then Maybe We Would Have Gotten An RPG And Not A Dissapointing FPS ......

Hard to say much on this other than given Beth's history They will more than likely remove the skill tree of skyrim and put in the perk system of fallout 4 (cough cough that was a joke)!

Now FO4 is ok in terms of a game on its own, but I really hope they look at oblivion, "which was the best game in Elder scrolls series I ever played and still do with over 4000 hours". Most importantly Spears and for the love of the barbarian gods of yore we need slings and flails, pilum, javelins, a way better follower system, camping, frost survival, better magic spells, and I want to run and own my own goddamn black smith because I can do it better then the one chick black smith in white-run!! and please may the gods be great and bring back the armor repair system why did they remove in fallout 4, skyrim, why it made having different armor sets worth having, I love the realism part of the game.

but given Beths track record I doubt it will be any better than FO4, probably better graphics, and combat but elder scrolls 6 gonna have its own Preston Garvey (pukes after saying the name) please no more I got another settlement that is in trouble......here Ill mark on your map. I hate him so much.

Guest enip

Because at this point, they've been wanting to (and have) cater a different and larger audience. The dumb gamers who don't care about a story's depth. Who don't care about the choices being made, or the consequences after picking a path. They just want to grab a gun and shoot away to the finish line. With mods in between. Not forget that you have the certain crowd who only devote to buying a game (regardless of the quality) just to pimp their waifus and take nonstop screenshots. Imagination, passion, good quality, depth are all out the window. Bethesda wants money and if dumbing down their games means more cash rolling in, so be it. So you might want to check down another alley for an RPG.

Not to mention that I get the impression that Bethesda as time passes by, they will get more strict with modding their games each new title that comes out. Once they have a full grasp of paid mods, you can kiss the modding scene of what it is now good bye. A division there will be.

It would be wise after Fallout 4, people think twice before pre-ordering. After their lies and the let down of them so called DLC, there shouldn't be a reason to ever buy a season pass.

Not holding my breath, though. I already see the same mistake happening again from many people. You know, because mods will fix it. Mods will make it better.  Because that's what it's come down to. A game developer getting away with slacking off and getting the same amount of reward back when they didn't and actually had a passion to make a great game.

TES6, regardless how long it's away, people were talking about FO4 many years before it was officially announced. With the direction Bethesda has gone with modding and the outcome of FO4, I say speculate all you want. It's okay to be worried. Though, I'm not. I can care less about that company anymore. They ain't getting another penny from me.

The problem I had with FO4 was that yes, numeric skills levels was a shitty thing that should never be allowed in a modern setting. However, shoehorning the SPECIAL was what killed FO4's potential as a great game since it arbitrarily limited what you could achieve.

If anything, they should have kept Skyrim's skill system but use the XP gain. Once you hit the level-up, you choose your health/carry limit/AP then choose a perk in accordance to gun, science, etc. That would have been an awesome system to use instead.

For me, TES6 will be good in terms of the engine as we have the PS4 Pro/Project Scorpio coming which means a little improvement in processing power. 

After Fallout 4, I definitely won't be hyped for the next Elder Scrolls. Nor will I buy it until its cheap on sale, unless its still utter crap like FO4 was, then I will continue playing my modded Skyrim

I hope I can maintain that level of self control. I can avoid picking up most games, but Elder Scrolls games? I dunno if I can trust myself to that.

Amen.  :(

Sadly that's what happens when companies insist on dumbing down everything in order to appeal to the mainstream masses. Next Elder Scrolls game is very likely to be even more dumbed down then FO4 was. FO4, no matter what dialogue you choose you still accept all quests and help everybody, you can't actually be evil unless it's just killing some NPC's. Elder Scrolls games they keep 'streamlining' everything by removing entire skills. Been almost 5 and a half years an we're still unable to create new skill trees in Skyrim, only able to modify any of the existing 18 ones. Elder Scrolls 6 if/when it happens in about 6-8 years from now will likely have at most 15 skills, likely though is having about 10-12 at this rate.

I don't think I'd agree with "dumbed down" - I'd probably euphemistically use the word "streamlined." EDIT: Which I see you do. :)

My original opinion of Fallout 4 has changed a bit, I don't think it suffers too much from this. But I do agree that changing the Elder Scrolls formula would be a bad idea for their core audience. I just think they don't really care, what with their "core" audience being so small these days.

Hard to say much on this other than given Beth's history They will more than likely remove the skill tree of skyrim and put in the perk system of fallout 4 (cough cough that was a joke)!

Now FO4 is ok in terms of a game on its own, but I really hope they look at oblivion, "which was the best game in Elder scrolls series I ever played and still do with over 4000 hours". Most importantly Spears and for the love of the barbarian gods of yore we need slings and flails, pilum, javelins, a way better follower system, camping, frost survival, better magic spells, and I want to run and own my own goddamn black smith because I can do it better then the one chick black smith in white-run!! and please may the gods be great and bring back the armor repair system why did they remove in fallout 4, skyrim, why it made having different armor sets worth having, I love the realism part of the game.

but given Beths track record I doubt it will be any better than FO4, probably better graphics, and combat but elder scrolls 6 gonna have its own Preston Garvey (pukes after saying the name) please no more I got another settlement that is in trouble......here Ill mark on your map. I hate him so much.

If we look at Fallout 4 (or, gods help me, Borderlands) as a template, I can see weapon variety being drastically increased. Take a knife, add a broom, you've got a spear. Take a spear, cut it down, you've got a javelin.

I tend to think that some form of "survival mode" will be included by default.

I'd disagree with "better magic spells" though - mostly because Bethesda's idea of "better" means "bigger damage," not "more variety." Too bad, that.

totally agree with running your own blacksmith shop. We've already got Sims in Fallout 4 with settlement building, why not add Sims in ES6 with owning and operating your own store?

Re Preston Garvey - I think that's here to stay. The "radiant quest" system they introduced in Skyrim (read: repeatable, random-target quests) is too easy a way to fill things out. Add repeatable quests, and marketing can say that there are hundreds more hours of "content" in the game.

Because at this point, they've been wanting to (and have) cater a different and larger audience.

Again, I'd object to the "dumb" gamer comment, but you're absolutely correct. It's not a dumber audience, just a different audience. Bethesda (or possibly I should be saying Zenimax) doesn't care as much about making a deep game as they do making a game that sells, and quick action spectacle sells more than slow-paced story.

Content Consumer

Oh gosh no on the Preston Garvey lol it just hurts my ears with his statements he is cool in terms of appearance kinda reminds me of someone looks like he

is trying to survive its the personality that kills me. As for the spells now that I think of it your right they did kill the variety part in skyrim by removing a lot of variety and customization

through the removal of the spell altar from oblivion. The building and settlement options in FO4 are fun but I feel that it is empty and hollow but if they put some more time and effort it

could work. I love building and making custom stuff and having that feature removed the need for me having to find mods like the reapers dark tower or shadow star castle for skyrim.

Or my favorite in FNV the Winnebago. But no you are right respect for that statement mate :) But I still really want weapon degradation to return to elder scrolls as it forces you to use

different weapons and the need for spears and flails are a must.

Not to mention that I get the impression that Bethesda as time passes by, they will get more strict with modding their games each new title that comes out. Once they have a full grasp of paid mods, you can kiss the modding scene of what it is now good bye. A division there will be.

I Had Hoped That Somebody Who Creates Mods Would Have Commented On This .....  Hey Didnt Bethesda Try This Before ?   

Jesus, it's depressing being an Elder Scrolls fan. :/ I'm consistently amazed how they can take such an interesting and complex world (or even any good idea) and make it as dull as a brick. Sometimes, though, I have to wonder if there are devs in Bethsoft that care about the universe but they're constantly shoved aside. I don't really remember all of it since it's been a while, but in the Silver Shroud quest for FO4, there were some computer entries in the studio that hit a little too close to home. Something about "but the test audiences loved it!" and the writers being told to rewrite their stuff after just finishing and "but this is completely different to the original!", etc., etc. Perhaps I should curb my small amount of optimism, though.

Considering the monumental backlash of paid modding before I imagine even Bethesda would be wary of trying that again. At the same time I can see them getting a stranglehold on an unestablished modding community with the new game.

As for TES6, I came to the series with Skyrim so I don't have the preference of previous game features though I do know of some of them. Personally I prefer to go without item durability, I like the concept but the reality of needing to constantly manage my gear is just wearying after a while. It was one of my main issues with Witcher 3.

I do agree though that radiant quests have gone way too far. For inherently generic quests like certain bounties or hunts I can understand it, at the same time I would love to see a more specific system where you get meaningful targets to kill, perhaps similar to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system or even the Dark Brotherhood bounties where at least targets were actual characters with personalities and a reason to be assassinated (until completing them and getting generically named nobodies). I feel like that could link into a possible setting of another war with the Thalmor, hunting down enemy agents or leaders, people who are coming for you to give it an actual meaning to you.

Skills are already pretty modular with Skyrim, I do appreciate the diversity and potential to experiment and change. Having said that I would like to see a more complex system than "this is a sword. You need one hand for it. This is a fireball. You can throw it if you have enough magicka. You want to change to light armour? Too bad, try it and those high level enemies will kill you in that unskilled armour".

For quests and questlines I would rather have something where you aren't the Ultimate Master of Everything and Everyone after a day. Do you have to become the master of every guild? Do you have to be the guy every single person relies on? I would have liked to see a different Civil War recruitment, where instead of being sent on a menial kill quest (go here, prove yourself by killing some ice wraith, never mind the fact that you're wearing the bones of a dozen dragons you personally killed) despite being the supposedly almighty Dragonborn, you are considered an asset- a prize. Both sides would try to win you over but not necessarily bow down and give you such a lofty position after two missions. You have to actually earn it with time and effort. Unfortunately I cannot imagine Bethesda taking this route at all.

In terms of story I would be happy with a shorter, fleshed out plot- something where your actions and decisions are genuinely meaningful and have a noticeable effect on the world. Something where there is no black and white morality, which was one of my bigger issues with story-driven games like the Mass Effect trilogy. Paragon and Renegade were supposed to remove that aspect of morality but the developers even acknowledged that it still felt either good or bad. I liked the morality and decisions of Andromeda, where there was no morality measure or approval ratings, just your choices and the consequences of those choices. You help someone important, they appear again later and help you. You slight that person, and maybe they turn up again but hinder or attack you instead. Ally with a particular Daedric Lord, and maybe that Lord's rival and their followers will become enemies. Join the vampires and Meridia will hate you along with them, not take you as her champion and give you a priceless sword of immense power literally designed to kill undead like yourself, while Molag Bal might favour you. Again, I can't imagine Bethesda doing this because while it makes sense thematically, it would cut players off from too much content for completion's sake.

My only real concern this early on is what engine they will be using and how easy or hard it will be for modders to create mods. I'm sure they know that mod-ability is a selling point for their games, I just wonder how much effort they will put into making a new engine mod-able.

As for magic in Skyrim, I think it was less about dumbing it down and more about making sure it didn't overshadow the shouts. The whole dragonborn thing was supposed to be the main focus after all, and the shouts were the shiny new thing they wanted you to focus on.

My only real concern this early on is what engine they will be using and how easy or hard it will be for modders to create mods. I'm sure they know that mod-ability is a selling point for their games, I just wonder how much effort they will put into making a new engine mod-able.

As for magic in Skyrim, I think it was less about dumbing it down and more about making sure it didn't overshadow the shouts. The whole dragonborn thing was supposed to be the main focus after all, and the shouts were the shiny new thing they wanted you to focus on.

The engine has to be idTech.  When ZeniMax bought Epic the company said idTech will be the proprietary engine for all the group's studios going forward, basically like what EA has been doing with Frostbite.  Arkane already made the switch from Unreal in Dishonored2.  In fact if you look at Bethesda's (publisher) recently released 6 "core" franchises E3 pic Bethesda (developer) is the only one not using idTech, and only because its latest game FO4 started development before the acquisition.

The engine has to be idTech.  When ZeniMax bought Epic the company said idTech will be the proprietary engine for all the group's studios going forward, basically like what EA has been doing with Frostbite.  Arkane already made the switch from Unreal in Dishonored2.  In fact if you look at Bethesda's (publisher) recently released 6 "core" franchises E3 pic Bethesda (developer) is the only one not using idTech, and only because its latest game FO4 started development before the acquisition.

Thanks for the info. I know people were talking about idTech, but didn't know it was set in stone so to speak. I guess that just leaves me with one question then, how much effort they will put into making it accessible for modders.

• 1 month later...

I feel naive I loved Skyrim played it and as I heard so many good stories about Oblivion I wanted and played it and the stories were real even with the graphics lower than the vanilla Skyrim. After started slowly to add more and more mods passing the labyrinth of the moding Skyrim and in the end when I had my Skyrim the ... HDD crashed after thousand of hours but I have the taste of what a moding community can do. I bought FO4 and hoped that would be even better than Skyrim but no I saw a company destroying it's assets. The assets that the moding community gave to the company. If anyone thinks that the standard Skyrim would have so any sales or love without mods then probably he has illusions. What Beth had voluntary by the community they throw it away with FO4.

So I feel naive as I can't believe in stupidity, and even I can't believe that people can't think. Better for me to be naive than to accept that people can't move the world. I have a dream about a book that I wrote although I do not consider myself as the best writer especially in my first attempt. But as it have been approved by a publisher I feel it with my eyes how good would be in a game like Skyrim moded. I do not have illusions that will be done as a great moded game not even an average game but with my eyes in my mind I see it there. What i believe instead is that people when they collaborate they can move mountains and they do not have to follow any Companies which are destroying good projects, or kicking away customers. No I would not pre-order anything from Beth again, even i doubt i will buy again a game which can't be moded easily from this company. I will leave the others to test it and express their opinion for how bad is the new path if they will realize it.

If I could wish something, is to people from this community to grab the opportunity and create a game like Skyrim with its own lore ,with it's own  moded engine game and earn the privilege to dream to create and bypass any "bad" company and before you will say that isn't possible let me first say I am naive. A dreamer who didn't knew how to put 2 mods together or write a letter, and yes english is my 2nd language. So if a dreamer can do few things then great people in this community can do miracles.

• 2 months later...

I hate to sound like a negative nancy, but that "leak" sounds like complete bullshit. Dwemer invading Tamriel from a pocket dimension? A return to RPG mechanics more complex than before? Also Dwemer guns. And TES!Asia Akiviri. Jesus, it's like every bad mod idea rolled into one (except the RPG stuff, I suppose).