Help with retexturing a modded item

Seems when I edit a texture of a modded Fallout 4 item, it gets black textures and meshes all over it. 

I first tried editing the Short Skirts mod months and months ago, I was going to put a Railroad logo on the sleeve, but it reverted the mesh back to the vanilla one that the mod was based off. I messaged the mod author and they said they had no idea what was causing it. 

Then I tried rextexturing a bag from the Eferas Shoulder Bags/Hubris Comics Bags mods recently, and the same thing happened- see image attached.

Nora is wearing the vault suit, but over the top the bag's original postman mesh has now appeared with my retexture, and all black. It's meant to just be the bag from that vanilla outfit, 

I assume this has something to do with the way Photoshop saves DDS files. I've been leaving it as the default settings, so I guess I'm not meant to? The mod author of the Short Skirts mod suggested I do something when saving but I can't remember what they suggested since it was so long ago, and either way it didn't fix the problem for me. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Skyrim retextures were so easy compared to this....

post-587464-0-24233500-1490085575_thumb.jpg

For Fallout you need this plugin https://gametechdev.github.io/Intel-Texture-Works-Plugin/

So you can save in BCn.

BC1/BC7 for albedo (colour) maps (BC3/7 for alpha) and BC5 for normal and secular maps.

There is a drop down for texture types making knowing witch to use easy, just make sure to select Intel's dds when saving and not Nvidia's.

Thank you so much! Using this worked ^-^ 

Archived