SE Need Follower suggestions/help

sigman1

hi all will be downloading se and am looking for sexy followers, in the old version had some cute elfs and miria and that miqote follower. plus custom recoder. any suggestions are more then welcome screens would help as well. thanks for your input.

I'm loving SSE!  Well, it'd be nice to have LL stuff in the mix, but in the meantime...   Anyway, as I'm sure you can see, there's 12 pages of followers (at Nexus alone) to choose from and your question is subjective - based on what type of follower you'd like to have or need. I'm currently using "Nemain". She's a 2H custom-voiced red-haired cutey that utilizes a lot of Serana's lines. She always sticks with you though, as she doesn't use AFT-type follower command stuff - which is OK for me.  I gave her a new body (don't like girls with tiny tits) and made new armor .nif's with Oldrim BS and copied it over. I'm finding many Oldrim mods work fine with SSE, even though they aren't posted over on the Nexus SSE pages.

I use AFT and Sofia at the moment.  Wish I could use Arissa but I think she requires SKSE.  I tend to avoid followers that use the vanilla system because none of them seem to reduce the default chatter frequency and it really gets on my nerves hearing, "I got your back", "still here" every 2 seconds.  Inigo works well for that also.

I use AFT and Sofia at the moment.  Wish I could use Arissa but I think she requires SKSE.  I tend to avoid followers that use the vanilla system because none of them seem to reduce the default chatter frequency and it really gets on my nerves hearing, "I got your back", "still here" every 2 seconds.  Inigo works well for that also.

"..."I got your back", "still here" every 2 seconds."  Boy, ain't THAT the frickin' truth!  LOL!  There was a mod that cut that down a lot in Oldrim - which most mods (non-SKSE of course) will work with SSE. I just haven't gotten around to DL'ing it again.  I like Sofia, but she gets on my nerves as well!

Again, followers are a very subjective issue. For me, I don't mind elf-like characters, but don't care for ones that look like small children (I like women), but hey, that's just me...

• 3 months later...

Vilja is hands down best follower mod imho, especially if you use trip the rifts customizer for her apperance, some people may not like the time it takes to experience her questline. Oh, and you may prefer to modify her standalone body as they only did non-nude versions (I recommend blessed body for her although I generally use bathsheba in general). 

Second would be M'rissi imho (her questline was nice and the new girl  they got to redo her voice acting was much better, but she has less useful functions/customizations compared to Vilja), 

Third is a tough choice, but for pure aesthetics I'd recommend almost any of bjins wives/followers/warmaidens conversions for the regular followers then add in flower girls and amorous adventures for trashy romance and your golden. :) Sofia wasn't one of my favs she kinda got on my nerves sometimes, but not so bad I deleted her from my legion of followers. Here is my Vilja. post-2037319-0-40575100-1500876711_thumb.png

I may have to try Vilja again at some point.  I'm back to using Sofia again for now.  I got Arissa to work in SE but she has this annoying bug where she'll start running in place for no reason and it drove me nuts.  Chesko says it's a game engine bug but I've never had any other follower do it so I think it's an Arissa bug.

I did find a mod that makes vanilla followers useable though.

Shut The Followers Up - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7225/?

It doesn't work on custom followers but it does work on all vanilla followers.  Key features below...  Ahhh, blessed silence...

Followers comment on your actions less often
The minimum period betweeen comments is up from 20 seconds to 5 minutes

Followers are less likely to idle chat, also less often
The minimum period betweeen comments is up from 10 seconds to 5 minutes, plus they need to be closer to you

Followers are less likely to chat socially, also less often
The minimum period between social chat is up from 10 seconds to 1 minute

The times above are also easily tweakable.  I increased them further in my game.

The follower mods I use are Vilja and Inigo.  Vilja is a sweetheart.  I loved her great grandmother back in Oblivion, and I like her in Skyrim.  Though not female Inigo is a great follower as well, and compliments Vilja well.  They even talk to each other, like the original Vilja and Neeshka in Oblivion.  The only difference I've noticed between Oblivion and Skyrim's Vilja is she doesn't talk as much randomly anymore.  That was something I loved in Oblivion.  But I guess the creator Emma listened to the complaints about Vilja being a chatterbox.   So yeah Vilja and Inigo.

As for normal standalone followers I which someone would port over the "Naughty Girls of Tamriel" mod.  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/80021/? Or any of the other beautiful followers created by this modder.  If I knew how to successfully convert followers from original Skyrim to SE, I would do it myself.

The follower mods I use are Vilja and Inigo.  Vilja is a sweetheart.  I loved her great grandmother back in Oblivion, and I like her in Skyrim.  Though not female Inigo is a great follower as well, and compliments Vilja well.  They even talk to each other, like the original Vilja and Neeshka in Oblivion.  The only difference I've noticed between Oblivion and Skyrim's Vilja is she doesn't talk as much randomly anymore.  That was something I loved in Oblivion.  But I guess the creator Emma listened to the complaints about Vilja being a chatterbox.   So yeah Vilja and Inigo.

As for normal standalone followers I which someone would port over the "Naughty Girls of Tamriel" mod.  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/80021/? Or any of the other beautiful followers created by this modder.  If I knew how to successfully convert followers from original Skyrim to SE, I would do it myself.

Just out of curiosity I did a quick conversion of two of those followers (from the Naughty Girls) with Nif Optimizer, using the Hair/Face Parts option for the autogen nif and the hair/eyes etc. Then converted the armor and body etc without that option. Opened the esp in the CK 64, saved it.. and replaced the textures (the body and face textures are pretty low quality.. you can get better with BC7 compression). And they work great in SE, they actually look better than the screenshots show, just because of the better quality BC7 textures.

The author seems to state he won't port this to SSE, so obviously I am not going to upload what I did. If you need help converting these yourself let me know.. but essentially the above are the only steps I took.. about 5 mins effort. Naturally I couldn't resist trying her out with some appropriate positions ;-)

post-1279706-0-74985300-1501202428_thumb.pngpost-1279706-0-92357200-1501202458_thumb.pngpost-1279706-0-56107100-1501202489_thumb.png

Just out of curiosity I did a quick conversion of two of those followers (from the Naughty Girls) with Nif Optimizer, using the Hair/Face Parts option for the autogen nif and the hair/eyes etc. Then converted the armor and body etc without that option. Opened the esp in the CK 64, saved it.. and replaced the textures (the body and face textures are pretty low quality.. you can get better with BC7 compression). And they work great in SE, they actually look better than the screenshots show, just because of the better quality BC7 textures.

The author seems to state he won't port this to SSE, so obviously I am not going to upload what I did. If you need help converting these yourself let me know.. but essentially the above are the only steps I took.. about 5 mins effort. Naturally I couldn't resist trying her out with some appropriate positions ;-)

attachicon.gifScreenShot98.pngattachicon.gifScreenShot97.pngattachicon.gifScreenShot99.png

Your way of converting sounds easy.  I will it.:)  But what is BC7 compression and how do I do the texture conversion.  Great pics btw. :D

I downloaded a bunch of followers from the oldrim nexus and they work in SSE. I didn't need to do anything to get them to work. Same with mods in general. A lot of mods in my load order are from oldrim. No crazy converting needed. Just extract and place in your data folder. 

EDIT: proof just in case XD https://emikosugisaka1.wixsite.com/poetoletteskyrimmods/fullscreen-page/comp-j5n8bfhs/e8bc1c94-192e-44fc-a27c-e62a3789c47e/0/%3Fi%3D0%26p%3Dw23et%26s%3Dstyle-j5ngv7zw

That is the follower nono for normal skyrim.

I downloaded a bunch of followers from the oldrim nexus and they work in SSE. I didn't need to do anything to get them to work. Same with mods in general. A lot of mods in my load order are from oldrim. No crazy converting needed. Just extract and place in your data folder. 

EDIT: proof just in case XD https://emikosugisaka1.wixsite.com/poetoletteskyrimmods/fullscreen-page/comp-j5n8bfhs/e8bc1c94-192e-44fc-a27c-e62a3789c47e/0/%3Fi%3D0%26p%3Dw23et%26s%3Dstyle-j5ngv7zw

That is the follower nono for normal skyrim.

Your right, many followers and mods just straight work in SSE. However, perhaps call it a bit OCD.. I always convert everything I put into my load order, the truth is I don't know if the new NIF format is better performing than the old, however the file size after optimisation using Ousnuis's excellent tool is a good indicator. 1 small nif optimized is in many cases 2/3rds or even half the size of the old format. Well what does a few 1000 bytes do for performance.. not much. But.. then start to add up all the nifs your game is having to load and work with.

Textures, were ever possible I try to obtain 4096 uncompressed textures for clothing/armor/skin etc. And then compress to BC7 if they in the past would have DXT5. There is almost no discern-able loss between a 32bit uncompressed bitmap and a BC7 format file, the same is definitely not true of DXT5.

I am not saying any of this is right or actually performs better even (I have not done any scientific comparisons!), it just makes my spidey senses twitch having a non-converted mod in SSE. Lol.

Textures, were ever possible I try to obtain 4096 uncompressed textures for clothing/armor/skin etc. And then compress to BC7 if they in the past would have DXT5. There is almost no discern-able loss between a 32bit uncompressed bitmap and a BC7 format file, the same is definitely not true of DXT5.

I am not saying any of this is right or actually performs better even (I have not done any scientific comparisons!), it just makes my spidey senses twitch having a non-converted mod in SSE. Lol.

Texture conversions are the next thing I wanted to try but haven't really seen any conversion tools for BC7.  What tool are you using?  I've been running my Oldrim meshes through NIF optimizer but I haven't touched any of the textures.  Would be curious to see how much difference it makes to convert everything to BC7, especially since I only have a 4GB video card.

From what I understand it doesn't give you any benefit unless you have the original uncompressed format to start with.  Converting DXT5 to BC7 will still have the same issues as the DXT5 texture did since you've already lost some of the original image from the conversion to DXT5.  BC7 can't restore what's not there to begin with.

I have been using texconv .. running in powershell. There are not too many choices around right now for converting.

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv

In terms of converting, you definitely don't want to convert everything.. the reason for that is BC7 is still compression. It would basically be used instead of DXT3 or DXT5, however it won't offer much over DXT1 for example for images without an alpha channel.

What you CAN do however.. in the past height maps.. have tended to be left in bitmap format, because artefacts from compression can really show. BC7 however is really (at least to my eyes) usable for height maps. So you get the performance benefit of BC7 with near bitmap quality. I have tried both uncompressed and BC7 compressed heightmaps and honestly I can't see any difference. Be interested to hear others findings.

Also yes, there will be no benefit at all of converting from an already compressed texture to BC7. DXT5 > BC7 means you will just inherit all the artefacts from the DXT5 compression.

Many mods do have optional uncompressed downloads. Or.. if they have crazy height resolution 8k in DXT5 format.. it might be worth converting to a 4k BC7.

I have been using texconv .. running in powershell. There are not too many choices around right now for converting.

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex/wiki/Texconv

In terms of converting, you definitely don't want to convert everything.. the reason for that is BC7 is still compression. It would basically be used instead of DXT3 or DXT5, however it won't offer much over DXT1 for example for images without an alpha channel.

What you CAN do however.. in the past height maps.. have tended to be left in bitmap format, because artefacts from compression can really show. BC7 however is really (at least to my eyes) usable for height maps. So you get the performance benefit of BC7 with near bitmap quality. I have tried both uncompressed and BC7 compressed heightmaps and honestly I can't see any difference. Be interested to hear others findings.

Also yes, there will be no benefit at all of converting from an already compressed texture to BC7. DXT5 > BC7 means you will just inherit all the artefacts from the DXT5 compression.

Many mods do have optional uncompressed downloads. Or.. if they have crazy height resolution 8k in DXT5 format.. it might be worth converting to a 4k BC7.

Great info, thanks.  Regarding textures that don't have an alpha channel.  Assuming I don't know which textures do or don't have an alpha channel, I'd stll get smaller texture sizes with minimal loss in quality converting an uncompressed texture to BC7 right?  It just wouldn't be as small as if I instead converted it to DXT1. 

Unfortunately if what I've read about how to see the format you're currently using is correct, most of the textures I'm currently using are already compressed using oldrim formats.  Will have to start checking some of the texture packs I have and see if they're available uncompressed.

Great info, thanks.  Regarding textures that don't have an alpha channel.  Assuming I don't know which textures do or don't have an alpha channel, I'd stll get smaller texture sizes with minimal loss in quality converting an uncompressed texture to BC7 right?  It just wouldn't be as small as if I instead converted it to DXT1. 

Unfortunately if what I've read about how to see the format you're currently using is correct, most of the textures I'm currently using are already compressed using oldrim formats.  Will have to start checking some of the texture packs I have and see if they're available uncompressed.

Yes, BC7 would work in place of DXT1.. it would just not be optimal.. but then if you are going from uncompressed it would still be quite a big performance advantage.

Also, yes.. there are plenty of already compressed textures I have not found uncompressed substitutes for. However there really are some big wins out there.. things like body/face textures. Eye textures.. brows.. etc. Many of the well known ones do have uncompressed high resolution versions available that you can convert.

A sample conversion looks something like this btw:

texconv.exe -f BC7_UNORM -ft dds -o ../out/ -h 4096 -w 4096 -m 13 ../female_body1.dds

• 4 weeks later...

There is an author in nexus that has ported a lot of toki7 mods to SE with permision of the original creator, here is the link to "Naughty Girls of Tamriel" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11744/? .

Sorry if may english it's not that good, i'm not a native speaker.

There is an author in nexus that has ported a lot of toki7 mods to SE with permision of the original creator, here is the link to "Naughty Girls of Tamriel" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11744/? .

Sorry if may english it's not that good, i'm not a native speaker.

Yes I know.  Thank you.  I downloaded all follower mods the porter ported. :)

Archived