Does anyone know how to "invert depth of field" in a Normal Map?

Playing around with Photoshop CC 2017 and looking at Body normal maps from DX's Rogue Prototype and noticed that on FO4 body normals (femalebody_n.dds) the height is inverted compared to Skyrim's.

What tools are people using to generate there normals in FO4.

I mean there are the Nvidia and Intel Tools to convert to BCn BC7 DX12 formats for DDS file types... but what actual programs are people using to create the normals in the first place???

Mud Box (I've heard of if but never used it).

Maya, Max, or Blender

Free shit like Crazy Bump (probably not as it does mainly Skyrim style dx9 normals).

But Yeah I'm sick of he flat normal (or damn near flat normal) that comes with almost every CBBE texture set (minus the one for Fair Skins conversion which is close but still off a little bit)....

Okay I'm done ranting (for now)...

The nvidia plugin isn't updated to create normal maps that is appropriate for FO4 last time I checked, but Intel's Textureworks plugin works fine.

If you're using Intel's plugin.  Open the normal map and invert the blue channel and it'll look alot more familiar (FO4 doesn't use the blue channel so for whatever reason it's black).  Just remember to change it back when you're exporting or you might destroy space time.

I actually use the Intel Plugin in Photoshop to both load and export.

I guess I need visuals to explain.

First up...

A pretty flat FO4 CBBE body normal...

post-321913-0-97258600-1489932195_thumb.jpg

Note how when looked at the depth of field has the nipples darkened/lowered and has the belly button raised/lightened.

Now a Skyrim Normal....

post-321913-0-48536000-1489932257_thumb.jpg

Note how when looked at the depth of field has the nipples raised/lightened and has the belly button lowered/darkened.

Skyrim normal using the built in "generate normal map" inside Photoshop CC 2017

post-321913-0-00848200-1489932359_thumb.jpg

(RGB's shown).

Note: It still has the raised nipple and lowered naval (as well as every other part of the normal for depth of field).

This is where the depth of field needs to be inverted and the grayscale for both the Red and Green Channels needs to be normalized (which is what I'm looking to do).

Last example DX's Normal for the "Maintenance" mode body of the Rogue kit (texture is in the Textures\DX\RoguePrototype\Body folder).

post-321913-0-81968000-1489932760_thumb.jpg

Now if a method is available to invert the depth of field for a normal map then we could possible see an easier conversion from Skyrim to FO4 and if the process is inverted and a Blue channel created a FO4 to Skyrim conversion (although generating a blue channel could be tricky).

So recap:

Is there a way to invert the Depth of Field (lights to dark and dark to light) in a normal map.

Cause I really would like to have a decent set of abs on a figure without having to place them in the mesh.

And one last one for people that think.... "It doesn't work in FO4"

TigerSan did it for Janebody

post-321913-0-46282400-1489940751_thumb.jpg

And DX did it to the Slooty Vault suit's legs when he created the Courser Outfit Texture sets...

So Muscle definition can be created in the FO4 Normal maps... they are just reversed (depth of field wise).

Archived