Experiencing Weird/Annoying Save Issue. Please Help!

Dascedukan

Ok so only until recently I've started experiencing these really annoying moments were it can take up to 15 seconds to "quick" save and around 30 seconds to create a real save. The weird things however is that it isn't really similar to how many similar cases have been (I've been doing some research and a similar issue seem to have happened with some other posters), the weird thing is that it doesn't always happen, only one every 5th or so save comes with this issue, whether it be quick or normal save. I know that isn't a hardware problem since I've been playing Skyrim with no such issue for 500+ hours and so I'm turning my attention to mods. 

Here's my current mod-list. (Installation order starting from top to bottom.)

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp=1
phiNoFF.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
better embers.esp=1
permanentconjuredminions.esp=1
lanterns of skyrim - all in one.esp=1
barenziahquestmarkers.esp=1
Supreme Fog.esp=1
Dawnspire.esp=1
Twohanded Dawnbreaker.esp=1
absorb_effect_removal_alt.esp=1
Animated Enchantments.esp=1
Attack Speed Fix.esp=1
Black Mage Armor.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
Combat Evolved.esp=1
DawnguardArsenal.esp=1
Destruction Damage Mod.esp=1
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp=1
Ursine Armour.esp=1
Immersive Sounds - Weaponry.esp=1
ISWeaponry Enhanced Blood Patch.esp=0
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
Improved Dragonrend Shout.esp=1
isilNarsil.esp=1
LeftHandRings.esp=1

I wanna emphasize that this is my current mod-list and that I've had over 180 mods when this issue started happening. Now I also know that it isn't the caused by scripts laying around and bloating saves, since my saves never exceed 5-6 MBs in size. And since I thought it was a cause of some of my mods I decided to completely reset Skyrim, by following this guide: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

So after testing for "Script-problems", "bloated saves" and now even reseting my game, I really don't understand what kind of file/code is laying around, causing this issue. Again I've had Skyrim for quite some time now and I've never had this problem before. It has to be one of my mods, right? Are there any folders that I forgot to remove/edit when I made the game vanilla again to clear some mods/scripts?

If anyone has any valuable information regarding this, please just throw it out here, since it might also help others with similar problems in the future! Thanks! :D

Ok so only until recently I've started experiencing these really annoying moments were it can take up to 15 seconds to "quick" save and around 30 seconds to create a real save. The weird things however is that it isn't really similar to how many similar cases have been (I've been doing some research and a similar issue seem to have happened with some other posters), the weird thing is that it doesn't always happen, only one every 5th or so save comes with this issue, whether it be quick or normal save. I know that isn't a hardware problem since I've been playing Skyrim with no such issue for 500+ hours and so I'm turning my attention to mods. 

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
phiNoFF.esm=1
better embers.esp=1
Supreme Fog.esp=1
Dawnspire.esp=1
Attack Speed Fix.esp=1
Black Mage Armor.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
Combat Evolved.esp=1
DawnguardArsenal.esp=1
Ursine Armour.esp=1
isilNarsil.esp=1
LeftHandRings.esp=1

I wanna emphasize that this is my current mod-list and that I've had over 180 mods when this issue started happening. Now I also know that it isn't the caused by scripts laying around and bloating saves, since my saves never exceed 5-6 MBs in size. And since I thought it was a cause of some of my mods I decided to completely reset Skyrim, by following this guide: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

So after testing for "Script-problems", "bloated saves" and now even reseting my game, I really don't understand what kind of file/code is laying around, causing this issue. Again I've had Skyrim for quite some time now and I've never had this problem before. It has to be one of my mods, right? Are there any folders that I forgot to remove/edit when I made the game vanilla again to clear some mods/scripts?

If anyone has any valuable information regarding this, please just throw it out here, since it might also help others with similar problems in the future! Thanks! :D

I had this problem too. I found that disabling autosaves and not using quicksaves anymore helped me decrease the load times back to what they used to be.

Give that a try and see how it goes.

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
phiNoFF.esm=1
better embers.esp=1
Supreme Fog.esp=1
Dawnspire.esp=1
Attack Speed Fix.esp=1
Black Mage Armor.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
Combat Evolved.esp=1
DawnguardArsenal.esp=1
Ursine Armour.esp=1
isilNarsil.esp=1
LeftHandRings.esp=1

I had this problem too. I found that disabling autosaves and not using quicksaves anymore helped me decrease the load times back to what they used to be.

Give that a try and see how it goes.

Hmmm, I've seen some people mention the autosave thing, maybe there's some sort of checking mechanism for autosaves, like a script that slowly builds up on your game? I'll try disabling all autosave features and see how that works out. Thanks for the replay anways! :D

I feel like this isn't a mod problem but I'm leaning more towards a script or an .ini editing issue.  I mean, c'mon, you have less than 30 mods!  My recommendation would be

1.  Backup your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder and then delete them from the folder.  Restart Skyrim via Steam Launcher to respawn these files.  Gotta start fresh.

2.  Re-install the latest version of SKSE.

3.  If you have an ENB, go to the ENB's default folder and take its enblocal.ini and put it inside your Skyrim installation directory overwriting the one already sitting there (essentially re-installing it and reverting it back to default).  If you've been tweaking your enblocal.ini like most people do then perhaps backing it up first before overwriting it will be a great idea!

4.  Finally, even if your bloated scripts only amount to 5mbs, use Skyrim Save Script Cleaner anyway!  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?   You click like 4 times and you're done cleaning a save.  It doesn't get more difficult than that.

Test your game again.

Some notes: First, playing Skyrim for 500 hours doesn't mean hardware can break, but i only mention this to make clear it possible, not because it's likely (except maybe your hardware is >10 years old ;)).

Then: You don't have much mods installed, but did you possibly uninstall a lot of mods? And/or did you try a new game after "making Skyrim vanilla again"? The point here is that uninstalling mods will always leave ALL scripts in your saves. There are methods to make a "clean save", but those are no guarantee, no matter if you use save game cleaners or whatever.

They are a good chance, that depends on how well authors of those mods defined their scripts, but there is no guarantee.

The only really clean save is made after starting a new game.

If it doesn't work without mods and a new game, it's either something like ENB/settings which won't be changed with a new game (and ENB not handled by a mod manager), or your Skyrim installation is somehow broken, or a faulty windows/driver/AV update etc or indeed some hardware that is slowly dying.

For example memory, be it HDD/SSD/RAM, can have faulty sectors. It doesn't mean it's broken in general, just that parts of it won't work anymore. Depending on your hardware there are some usually free tools for testing, and sometimes even handling them (tell the OS it shouldn't use them anymore), but it's been a while since i used one myself, can't recommend anything here.

Still a lot of possibilities, but at least you'd know if mods are the problem.

I feel like this isn't a mod problem but I'm leaning more towards a script or an .ini editing issue.  I mean, c'mon, you have less than 30 mods!  My recommendation would be

1.  Backup your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder and then delete them from the folder.  Restart Skyrim via Steam Launcher to respawn these files.  Gotta start fresh.

2.  Re-install the latest version of SKSE.

3.  If you have an ENB, go to the ENB's default folder and take its enblocal.ini and put it inside your Skyrim installation directory overwriting the one already sitting there (essentially re-installing it and reverting it back to default).  If you've been tweaking your enblocal.ini like most people do then perhaps backing it up first before overwriting it will be a great idea!

4.  Finally, even if your bloated scripts only amount to 5mbs, use Skyrim Save Script Cleaner anyway!  http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?   You click like 4 times and you're done cleaning a save.  It doesn't get more difficult than that.

Test your game again.

Some notes: First, playing Skyrim for 500 hours doesn't mean hardware can break, but i only mention this to make clear it possible, not because it's likely (except maybe your hardware is >10 years old ;)).

Then: You don't have much mods installed, but did you possibly uninstall a lot of mods? And/or did you try a new game after "making Skyrim vanilla again"? The point here is that uninstalling mods will always leave ALL scripts in your saves. There are methods to make a "clean save", but those are no guarantee, no matter if you use save game cleaners or whatever.

They are a good chance, that depends on how well authors of those mods defined their scripts, but there is no guarantee.

The only really clean save is made after starting a new game.

If it doesn't work without mods and a new game, it's either something like ENB/settings which won't be changed with a new game (and ENB not handled by a mod manager), or your Skyrim installation is somehow broken, or a faulty windows/driver/AV update etc or indeed some hardware that is slowly dying.

For example memory, be it HDD/SSD/RAM, can have faulty sectors. It doesn't mean it's broken in general, just that parts of it won't work anymore. Depending on your hardware there are some usually free tools for testing, and sometimes even handling them (tell the OS it shouldn't use them anymore), but it's been a while since i used one myself, can't recommend anything here.

Still a lot of possibilities, but at least you'd know if mods are the problem.

Well i'm 100% sure it's not a hardware problem, my PC is only about 3 years old and i'm able to run Skyrim Special Edition with above medium settings (Which looks really good on special edition btw) at 60 fps all the time. As I said I've been playing Skyrim for a very long time on basically max settings with no such issue before. I did test an ENB a few weeks ago (before this issue) but I've completely re-installed everything in the Skyrim folder and My Games/Skyrim since then, so It wouldn't make sense if this was the issue. 

As for SKSE and Save Script Cleaner, I just re-installed SKSE on steam so it should be the latest version. I did try to use Save Script Cleaner, but i'm not really too sure on what does what so I have no idea if I did it right.  

And finally, yes I did have around 190 something mods and I uninstalled A LOT of them to try to fix the issue, but this was before I did the hard-reset. And yes I've created many new save files since the reset :/. I'm wondering if it is one of the mods in my load order that is infamous or known for causing this issue.

Dynavision had been known to cause save game bloat in the past when you used the summoned minion to make adjustments to it.

I don't know if it was fixed since, but I vaguely remember that there was a discussion tht mentioned the MCM control for it did not cause the same bloat.

Save game bloat can cause your saves to take considerably longer each time it increases the file size of your saves.

I should note that this was a problem I ran into years ago.  It is possible Gopher had addressed these issues since.   You can research a few forums to verify as well as the dynavision support posts section.

Dynavision had been known to cause save game bloat in the past when you used the summoned minion to make adjustments to it.

I don't know if it was fixed since, but I vaguely remember that there was a discussion tht mentioned the MCM control for it did not cause the same bloat.

Save game bloat can cause your saves to take considerably longer each time it increases the file size of your saves.

I should note that this was a problem I ran into years ago.  It is possible Gopher had addressed these issues since.   You can research a few forums to verify as well as the dynavision support posts section.

I'll definitely look into it, thanks!

Archived