Fallout Cascadia, pretty much fallout 4.5

protocolk

looks like some moddersdecided to use fallout 4 engine to build a new fallout game based on new vegas, 1 and 2.

The mods happens in seattle, with a ne main character, factions, etc. its pretty much a whole new game with a map bigger than fallout 4 vanilla (about 1.5 times bigger and no glowing sea bullshit taking space) where you may see known factions like the NCR. Theyll be also including specuialand skill checks togeter with the good old roleplay from the old fallout games.

Im posting this because besids deserving attention , LL has some great modders that could help the project ( no Im not part of it, just a excited gamer.)

The project site is: http://www.falloutcascadia.com/

and their reddit is: https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutCascadia/

*Goes back to lurking the internet*

This is what needs to happen to FO4; ditch everything and use their assets to make a new and better game. I hope they do the work in increments and release it bit by bit. Things that almost always derail projects like this are being too broad in scope or being too ambitious, that or clash of personalities/egos.

Best of luck to the team and the project.

I wish them luck, but it's not often that community projects of this scope see the light of day. Most people dramatically underestimate the workload required to bring a project of this scope to life. Even under the wild assumption that most of the team members are able to work nearly full-time on it, I'd say they are looking at 2 years minimum and a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get there. And experience shows that most teams tackling such projects dissolve due to internal disagreements and/or attrition long before producing anything tangible.

On the plus side, I think their concept is solid and technically viable. It could be done, if they are committed enough and avoid having a fallout in the team (pun sort of intended).

And that thing where one modder leaves on bad or questionable terms and they forbid the team to use their assets...or the team tries to exert creative control over assets modders have made.  So they need a team of dedicated and creative modders where everyone plays nice for 2 years on a project.  Yeah, they are doomed.

Just to give my thoughts, I was on the team for a couple months. If the leaders can get people to work, the mod has a good chance. They have decent organization and development improved significantly after they moved to Discord (originally it was a Skype group message).

I left because I didn't have time to work on it, but I'd join again if I wasn't busy with other projects.

Sorry for being Mr Negativity but from what I have read it is just another team of mod creators which isn't bad but no focus no real world product creation experience some where along they way they will realise just how much work it takes to create a sandbox world even if you have a template and engine, most of these team members do this for fun and in there own time, no knowledge of turning it into work and doing stuff to a schedule which you really do need for this to work, best case scenario in 6 months time they end up with a little more respect for what bethesda does, not saying F4 is perfect its far from it but there is a reason we play there games.

Never modded FO4 (no interest) but I can say from experience that modding Skyrim isn't fun.  Since the script language and CKs are similar that translates to modding FO4 as not being fun.

Imagine making a new world space with a small village in it.  Have to do all of the exteriors and interiors, link doors and activators, multiple quests and scripts for the most basic things in the game, create NPCs, do dialogue, and on and on and on.  Just doing something small would take one modder probably a month if modding is all they did in their free time.  That's why these total conversions for Skyrim take so long and why they usually end up being bugfests for some users, that is if they get completed.  This isn't necessarily the fault of the modders but the game itself.  Before Skyrim, modding a Bethesda game wasn't a chore.  Now it is and it's very easy to get disheartened and quit working on projects.

There are some areas where modding FO4 is easier than Skyrim and others where it's much harder and super convoluted. The greatest pain in FO4 is the dialogue system. It's hands down the worst of its kind I have ever seen. Every single dialogue is a scene now, and the player has always -exactly- four options. No more, no less. You need five options? No go! You need just 2? No go! It's four or bust. For that reason it's impossible to merge your dialogue choices with what the vanilla game or other mods provide. Also, every single branching option needs a new scene. No, I am not kidding. And all that garbage just because the game needed to run more smoothly on consoles. Gah!

I also had to laugh how stupid hard it is to make a custom weapon in FO4. You have to use a combination of leveled lists, formlists, several mods and even a start enabled quest to put a unique weapon into the world. It's laughably dumb and a good example for how needlessly complicated CK is. Sometimes I have the feeling that they added stuff without any greater plan or vision of what they actually wanted the engine to be able to do. CK feels like features got constantly added by interns over lunch break because some designers needed them in 30 mins. If you compare CK to Bioware's Aurora engine, where everything just made sense and looked thought through, it's a major letdown.

But the biggest obstacle is creating levels itself, really. Just open any existing level and have a look. Yes, it's as complicated as it looks. The world editor is an absolute pain to use and I bow my head in awe to anyone able to create a good looking interior level with it. Skyrim was bad already, but FO4 world creation requires some masochist tendencies.

On the plus side, FO4 Papyrus is much more powerful than its Skyrim equivalent. You can actually do a lot of things without script extenders these days, or having to write super dirty code to get it done. Yay!

Another "Skywind, Skyblivion" sized mod to expect for 2019, 2020~ish. Sigh. 

I dont think so, theyve been working on it for over a year and the last monthly update showed that they were working on building the worldspace already.

Archived