View File

WARNING: Unattached Instances are a normal part of how Fallout 4 operates. Until I've determined how to distinguish between important unattached instances (still in active use) and the other kind (left behind by mods that were uninstalled), I recommend that you do NOT use the Remove Unattached Instances action on Fallout 4 savefiles.

NOTE: If you're having a problem with a savefile, and you want my help, you'll need to post the savefile here in the support thread so that I can run tests on it.

WHAT IT DOES

ReSaver is a savegame editor for Skyrim Legendary, Skyrim Special Edition, and Fallout 4. It is designed to provide more information that earlier tools, and to work with savefiles that other tools wont touch. It is relatively stable and reliable. Performance has gotten pretty good!

The interface is modelled after Save Game Script Cleaner; it's not quite as fast (because of Java instead of super speedy assembly language) but it is actively maintained and has a much richer feature set. Like filtering using regular expressions, and scanning your scripts and esps for context! For Skyrim Legendary, it should read and write saves that exceed the string table limit, as long as you're using Crash Fixes v10 or later.

INSTALLATION

• Unzip the archive into a folder somewhere.
  • Double-click on the file "ReSaver.exe".

INSTRUCTIONS

• Unzip the FallrimTools archive somewhere.
  • Double-click on ReSaver.exe.
  • Choose your savegame.
  • You should see a tree structure that has all of the save's script elements.

The #1 thing that most people need is to remove script instances that are left behind when a mod is uninstalled.

• Go to the "Clean" menu and select "Show Unattached Instances". This will filter the list and show only the script instances that aren't attached to anything.
  • Go to the "Clean" menu and select "Remove Unattached Instances".
  • Save to a new file.
  • Load your savegame in Skyrim/Fallout and make sure it's working properly.

ReSaver is quite stable and I use it myself. Fallout 4 support is still new and in a beta state.

I have hundreds of mods, including dozens of major quest mods. I NEED a serious save editor. That's why I wrote one. I can't promise that it's perfect. It's possible that it will ruin your savegame, hard drive, childhood, and kidneys all major organ systems. In other words, there is no guarantee of fitness for any particular purpose, etc. But it's pretty good.

REQUIREMENTS

• Java is a requirement -- ReSaver is written entirely in Java.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

• Test the tools! Report any problems! Report any annoyances!
  • Try cleaning a few savegames with ReSaver, see it the new tool works at all.
  • Play with the tool, try to get it to crash in exciting ways. Let me know how you crashed it.
  • Find problems or annoyances with the user interface.

DONATIONS

• If you would like to donate, Steam gift cards are good, or donations through Nexus.
  • Really, I'll accept anything. :-)
  • Seriously, I'll take a high-five, or a photo your cats. An envelope full of your pubes? Sure!
  • But it's not necessary. I wrote these tools because I love Skyrim and Fallout.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    03/12/2017
  • Category
  • Requires
    Java, Skyrim (any) or Fallout 4

I also posted this on your Skyrim page

Fallout 4 these are all the latest File save types with exit Save etc.

My later Save Files wont load in ReSaver.exe it says Error while reading file – Illegal Capacity:-654966782
This has a Save File size 24,781 KB

It will open Save Files Size 23,147 KB

I tried to attach the Save File but it says

Save2924_D5575F45M4A656E6E61_Wattz01_190100_20170313152648_39_2.fos

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

See the page on nexus, this mod is broken right now.  It erases unattached instances which fallout 4 needs  Beware for now!

You don't have to erase unattached instances. It's just a thing that the tool will allow you to do, and it only does so if you select that command.

ReSaver still works quite well for selectively erasing instances when you uninstall mods, and there should be no issue at all with removing undefined elements.

Good point, the line in the description "The #1 thing that most people need is to remove script instances that are not attached to anything." should be removed though.

My suspicion is that will still be true for Fallout 4. The hard part is just telling which ones to remove. More research is necessary.

It should be rephrased though, so in that sense I agree with your point.

I also posted this on your Skyrim page

Fallout 4 these are all the latest File save types with exit Save etc.

My later Save Files wont load in ReSaver.exe it says Error while reading file – Illegal Capacity:-654966782

This has a Save File size 24,781 KB

It will open Save Files Size 23,147 KB

I tried to attach the Save File but it says

Save2924_D5575F45M4A656E6E61_Wattz01_190100_20170313152648_39_2.fos

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Your update 17/3/2017 has solved all my save game opening problems and it will now open all my saves for inspection.

I am just using it at the moment to make sure there are no obvious Mod named scripts still cluttering up my saves that have had its parent mod removed.

Error while reading file for Fallout4

Error; read 560/75725 ChangeForm definitions.

Should be fixed.

Your update 17/3/2017 has solved all my save game opening problems and it will now open all my saves for inspection.

I am just using it at the moment to make sure there are no obvious Mod named scripts still cluttering up my saves that have had its parent mod removed.

• 1 month later...

I don't use Java. Can you release this as standalone?

I can look into using a conversion tool like Excelsior, but I can't make any promises about stability or performance. And I'm definitely not doing a full port.

• 4 months later...

I'm also getting a similar error to Agnot2014 

• Error while reading file – Illegal Capacity:-901557757 or 
  • Problem with script processed 0/2064747265

Worked perfectly on Skyrim no problems.

Fan of your work :)

Cheers

did we find a fix for this ? with some digging I found that the saves that give back this error are missing a 4k f4se file.

here is a example

Save180_6EC9ABA0M446561646D656174_Commonwealth_051122_20170901233200_48_2.f4se

Save180_6EC9ABA0M446561646D656174_Commonwealth_051122_20170901233200_48_2.fos

this one works but this one does not.

Save181_6EC9ABA0M446561646D656174_Commonwealth_051158_20170902225213_48_2.fos

post-2318163-0-74116200-1504905814_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 3:49 AM, aloeverapack8 said:

See the page on nexus, this mod is broken right now.  It erases unattached instances which fallout 4 needs  Beware for now!

Is there a time-frame when this will be fixed?

On 3/14/2017 at 6:29 AM, markdf said:

You don't have to erase unattached instances. It's just a thing that the tool will allow you to do, and it only does so if you select that command.

ReSaver still works quite well for selectively erasing instances when you uninstall mods, and there should be no issue at all with removing undefined elements.

The instructions tell us to remove "Unattached Instances" How does this differ from Undefined elements?  For cleaning Fallout 4 and the current limitations of this tool (mentioned above) is there any advice for cleaning when there is issue.

Sorry I am new to this. Never really needed much in the way of cleaning tools.. at least not at this level.

15 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

Is there a time-frame when this will be fixed?

The instructions tell us to remove "Unattached Instances" How does this differ from Undefined elements?  For cleaning Fallout 4 and the current limitations of this tool (mentioned above) is there any advice for cleaning when there is issue.

Sorry I am new to this. Never really needed much in the way of cleaning tools.. at least not at this level.

You might want to start by describing your problem, and maybe posting a copy of your savefile. There is no shortcut to fixing a savefile. It HAS to be done intelligently.

• Undefined Elements are script instances and stackframes for scripts that don't exist. The script defines them, so without the script they *undefined*.
  • Unattached Instances are script instances that aren't attached to a Form. In Skyrim that almost always means that something had gone wrong (a handful of SKSE plugins create them a byproduct of their normal operation). But Fallout 4 allows them to be created deliberately.

Thank You for a quick response.

I was using AAF and upgraded to the newer version.  It stopped working. (I had a minor problem with a quest finishing which I believe was unrelated and more related to mod changes etc. ) 

I just wanted to clean things up so that AAF would be "clean" and work properly again without having to start over.  (I believe I corrected the issue , conflict etc. through FO4edit for the other issue I had)  Only 10 hours into the game and cleaning needed to be done with very little mods.. :(  I've played entire games previously in FAllout 3 and NV without any issues :(  

It currently appears that I have a working save and have moved on and all the problems appear to be gone. I didn't have many issues that came up when cleaning. I think like 10~13 ones.  However, I coudn't understand what was what from them.

Update:

@EgoBallistic gave me some more complex, get your hands dirty instructions related to updating AAF... Thanks for the help... If I run into a serious problem will post the savefile 

• 3 months later...

There maybe  a post somewhere about this I dont know..

Trying to use this to clean up my saves and I use MO 2, however, it will not read any saves when trying to open up the save game folder.  Is there any instruction on how to use this with MO 2 anywhere?  I have the *integrate with MO2* option on but dont know if I am missing a step or what. 

On 12/25/2018 at 6:33 AM, Boceifus said:

There maybe  a post somewhere about this I dont know..

Trying to use this to clean up my saves and I use MO 2, however, it will not read any saves when trying to open up the save game folder.  Is there any instruction on how to use this with MO 2 anywhere?  I have the *integrate with MO2* option on but dont know if I am missing a step or what. 

Don't run it from Mod Organizer, ESPECIALLY if you are using the Integrate MO option!!