best way to install mods?

Hi, I'm just now thinking of playing FO4 and was wondering what is the preferred method of installing mods, should I be using NMM, MO, or is there a FOMM for FO4 or is it best to just install manually in the directory .

Use NMM, right now is the most viable solution for this game.

cpu, why you lie to him :DDD nmm sucks the most, more than ebola... mod organizer is only true way to mod..

op please, use this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194/?  works for fallout 4 and sse, for fo4 just use portable

Hi, I'm just now thinking of playing FO4 and was wondering what is the preferred method of installing mods, should I be using NMM, MO, or is there a FOMM for FO4 or is it best to just install manually in the directory .

Use NMM, right now is the most viable solution for this game.

cpu, why you lie to him :DDD nmm sucks the most, more than ebola... mod organizer is only true way to mod..

op please, use this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194/?  works for fallout 4 and sse, for fo4 just use portable

I use MO for skyrim wasn't sure it worked for FO4

You need a 64bits version that was not done by Tannin. So, you can try.

With my "good luck".

all I can say to that is.... yikes... guess ill hold my nose and use nmm

No, if you are skilled, you can use the "mod" from the link you posted.

But for sure is not for beginners.

It works "slightly" better. Then NMM. But because of some not managed problems, I will not stick to if right now.

And be aware that latest NMM versions are done by Tannin. Also if the UI is still the old crap, at least the file replacement is better.

I have a question regarding NMM and F4. I used other programs to run my mods in F3/NV but for F4 I got lazy and started with NMM. Sometimes when I install some mod it asks me about overwritting files BUT it says that the presents files are from a different mod, its not like I am updating the one I try to install. What should I do then? If its about body replacer its easy because I can see which file can get replaced and do that if I want but for some weapons for example I get conflicting lets say optics/sights files from a shotgun and it conflicts with newly installed M16. Wtf? Why is this even happening, the mods are supposed to use different folders aren't they?

I have a question regarding NMM and F4. I used other programs to run my mods in F3/NV but for F4 I got lazy and started with NMM. Sometimes when I install some mod it asks me about overwritting files BUT it says that the presents files are from a different mod, its not like I am updating the one I try to install. What should I do then? If its about body replacer its easy because I can see which file can get replaced and do that if I want but for some weapons for example I get conflicting lets say optics/sights files from a shotgun and it conflicts with newly installed M16. Wtf? Why is this even happening, the mods are supposed to use different folders aren't they?

A good question that I would also like to the answer to. One of the few things about NMM that I don't understand yet. Other than that I have very few complaints about NMM in general.

Usually its textures for common things like fur armor, if you have 3 mods that replace the texture on fur armor only one can  "win" and have its texture used. install another mod that replaces the same texture and nmm will ask if you want to keep the old texture or the new one. Could be any file not just textures and if its a file that another mod is dependent on it could break that mod.

Yes, for textures its obvious, like I said for various body textures for example, but for other mods it doesn't make any sense for me. Two total different mods in their core, a shotgun and an assault rifle, created by different authors, should't get any conflicts. Firstly they are not supposed to share the same folder, and second the textures are completely different. If they where the same type of weapon, ok its kinda acceptable but I don't believe that even Bethesda are that dummy to use the same file names for shotguns and assault rifles. Even so, most modders use custom file names for such parts of the mods.

• 1 month later...

windows notepad is best mod organizer. this way im confident that load order wont get fucked by less than ideal automated/conflict detection program etc. i cant graps why ppl use mod organizers when mods are made all the time and there is no good way to ensure/check compatibility in automated manner.

Yeah Manual Install is my preferred method . Its easier to know and remember where files Ive been put because I put them there myself rather than a program . By all means use something to check your load order ( although I just use my own common sense ) but I find manual the most reliable installation method even if it does take longer ( although I do have a handful of automatic installs from Bethesda in game ) .

With my "good luck".

If you are using NMM or planing on using it. I'd suggest that you check out Elf Princes thread here for NMM and see what is the advised version of NMM for Fallout 4. There are hot and cold versions and some work well enough and others can cause you trouble if you aren't expecting it.

If you are only playing a couple of simple mods... manual install will work just fine. Play the game... nuke the data folder, Verify the cache, install a few different mods and rinse and repeat. Not hard. However the more mods you use the harder it becomes and conflicts which will occur will fuck your data folder over and make you have to nuke the data folder and start over before you had a chance to play. If you know what you are doing and what the mods is doing this might work well.. if you are a noob and/or not sure what is going on with the mod... you might have trouble.

I used the manual approach until I added 25 or more mods... then I used NMM version.(older version) MO wasn't up to snuff for reliable use as a manager at the time I last played F04.

With my "good luck".

If you are using NMM or planing on using it. I'd suggest that you check out Elf Princes thread here for NMM and see what is the advised version of NMM for Fallout 4. There are hot and cold versions and some work well enough and others can cause you trouble if you aren't expecting it.

If you are only playing a couple of simple mods... manual install will work just fine. Play the game... nuke the data folder, Verify the cache, install a few different mods and rinse and repeat. Not hard. However the more mods you use the harder it becomes and conflicts which will occur will fuck your data folder over and make you have to nuke the data folder and start over before you had a chance to play. If you know what you are doing and what the mods is doing this might work well.. if you are a noob and/or not sure what is going on with the mod... you might have trouble.

I used the manual approach until I added 25 or more mods... then I used NMM version.(older version) MO wasn't up to snuff for reliable use as a manager at the time I last played F04.

lol well I try to start out with a small amount of mods but that never lasts long. I have no will power and always end up squeezing in as many mods as I can and have it still semi-playable :P

I know its on the discussion right now but for anyone browsing this topic, LePresidente 's fork of MO2 is the most up dated version of Mod Organizer. Should be on github prior to Nexus usually, especially betas. And i use it just fine for FO4, vastly prefer it over NMM personally. But they key with a mod management tool is to find one that suits your needs, and you can use well to achieve your requirements, there's no best fit for everyone.

Archived