Small guide for creating animations for TS4 + tips and tricks.

Guest Redabyss

Guest Redabyss

Hello everyone! 
You may know that TURBODRIVER already wrote a guide on the matter, but I wanted to give some more insight to possible/future animators, so I'm writing my version, complementary to TD's.

Mind you, creating animations is actually easy once you understand and get accostumed to everything, you just need to start with some rough-ish baby steps, then the rest is downhill, trust me :)

1. Getting started with animations

Animations are, essentially, an imported version, for TS4, of animations created in the program Blender.

That means that you will be working on the rigs (basically placeholders of the sims) in said program.

You need to download the material linked in TD's tutorial pages:

http://wickedwhims.tumblr.com/post/149595607381/creating-basic-animations-in-blender

http://wickedwhims.tumblr.com/post/147746192646/converting-blender-animations-to-clips

http://wickedwhims.tumblr.com/post/147746193826/creating-wickedwhims-animations-package

http://wickedwhims.tumblr.com/post/147746195146/creating-wickedwhims-animation-xml-file

Just go for the edited rigs, since the male has a penis, obviously needed for your animations. Also be careful to which version of Sims4Studio you're downloading, since you'll need the last one (Harmony).

2. Working in Blender, part 1

Don't be scared by the huge mole of options the program will show you.

First things first, you need to open a rig (start with the male), then append the second one. "Appending" is different from opening, since you'll need to append the female rig's body parts as well (rig female, feet, head, top, bottom), in conjunction with the rig itself.

You'll quickly notice that the female rig is glowing orange, that means she's in object mode. You need to switch it by:

1) Right click on a junction of her rig (one of the black dots), then

2) switch from "Object mode" to "Pose mode".

image.png

If everything is going well, your female rig stopped to glow orange. Nice!

Now you'll obviously need to create some space between the male rig and the female one. Let's learn some buttons:

"A" is basically the "select all" button. It allows you to select all junctions of a rig, allowing it to be moved, for example, or to save certain keyframes (keep this in mind for later)

"G" is the grab button. It is useful to move around the rigs, as well as specific body parts. Keep this in mind as well.

"R" is the rotate button. This is fundamental as you'll use this button 95% of the time.

"I" opens important functions that you'll need.

You move around by holding the "Alt" button + Mouse wheel, and you zoom in with the wheel.

Basically what you need to do, to create some space, is select all junctions via A, then move the rig via G.

Alternatively, you can right click on the ROOT bone, then move the rig via G. The ROOT bone is this one:

image.png

DON'T DO THINGS RANDOMLY. You'll easily risk to lose your precious work and you don't want this.

All right... now for some more advanced stuff.

3. Working in Blender, part 2

First of all, when creating an animation, please keep in mind that your rigs need to be above ground. This means that if any body part will go deeper than the green line, you're doing something wrong.

image.png

Alright. You can start creating your animation: as I mentioned to you, you'll need to work by rotating bones (R button). DON'T grab (G) stuff UNLESS

1) you're working with, say, body parts like the mouth, the eyes, etc. Anything else will dishumanly stretch.

2) you already have some skills with Blender and animations. In this case, I might recommend to not stretch too much body part, just use G to move more easily certain body parts.

You'll first need to RIGHT CLICK on a junction, then said junction can be moved.

Start rotating bones as you please and try yourself. 

Depending on the position of the camera, the bones will rotate in a certain way or direction, so keep this in mind and keep practicing.

BE VERY SURE to not move your position in the timeline.

The timeline is this part:

image.png

You don't want to touch it until you're done with your starting pose. It HAS to be at zero for both the male and the female, for their starting position.

One other important thing: some conjunctions need to selected by CLICKING MULTIPLE TIMES on a specific part.

For example, let's say you want to move the right eye. You'll need to RIGHT click, multiple times, in this area:

image.png

I circled red a way to be sure which conjuction you're controlling. Just open the "Item" section on the right, and the space at the right of the bone figure will tell you which conjuction you're controlling.

Once you're done with your pose, select all junction of a rig (A) then press I to open a menù, then click on LocRot.

LocRot will save the position of all the junctions in X position on the timeline.

It has to be done for both rigs, again once you're done with the position you want.

image.png

Guest Redabyss

3. Working in Blender, part 3

Alright! Starting to understand how things work, eh?

Now one small yet very useful and underrated advice: ALWAYS save. 

You save by clicking on File -> Save As -> write the name then Save as Blender file.

Afterwards, KEEP saving (simply Save) as often as possible, unless you did some errors.

Alright, back onto business.

If everything went fine, you managed to create the keyframe zero (the starting position, so to speak) of your animation, by using the LocRot command. That means that that position is saved in Dopesheet.

The Dopesheet is the following menù, basically a list of positions of the conjunctions in the timeline. It is very useful, since, using it, you can copy-paste or delete frames.

image.png

Now what you want to do is create the FOLLOWING position in the timeline, for your rigs.

Start by right clicking on the rig you want to animate, then move your position in the timeline by moving your marker here:

image.png

That means that at frame 30 your rig will be in another position.

The awesome thing about Blender is that you DON'T NEED TO DO movement per movement if you want to, say, make the guy move his arm up and down. Blender will automatically fill in the movement!

Try create another position for any of your rigs, then save using the LocRot procedure (be careful to always stay on the next point in the timeline you choose!!).

You need to set an ending point of your animation. I would suggest around 100 for the basic ones, so your sound clips won't loop too fast.

If everything went correctly, by moving your marker in the timeline... your rig will now do a movement. CONGRATULATIONS! You just learned the basics of animations!

From this point on, you'll learn mostly by yourself, but here are some tips and tricks for Blender.

4. Tips and Tricks

4.1 Copying, moving and deleting keyframes

For any of these actions, you'll need to use the Dopesheet.

You select a WHOLE frame by right clicking on the rhombus in the Dope Sheet Summary line, and a specifical conjunction by right clicking on said conjunction in a specific point of time.

That means if you want to copy the hand position in the timeframe of 30, you'll need to click on the rhombus located here: 

image.png

You can copy whole frames/specifical conjunctions with Alt + D, after selecting the rhombus.

You can delete whole frames/specifical conjunctions with Canc.

You can move whole frames/specifical conjunctions with G.

One small tip I can give you is to create two different positions, then copy the first one and paste it as the third one, so the animation loops properly, but this method is for the lazy and very basic animations.

What I'm trying to say is that you can save time by copying specific timeframes, but don't do things too samey, and try to vary a little. 

Remember that the final frame has to coincide with the first one. Otherwise the animation will reset in a ugly way.

4.2 Making your animations more alive

I mentioned that the G button is useful to move certain conjunctions.

These conjunctions are the eyebrows, the eyes, the Up and LowLid of the eyes, the sides of the mouth and the eyes.

Try grabbing some of them and move them a little around, to change the rig's expression. Look what I did by just grabbing stuff:

image.png

Not bad, huh?

Other tips I can give you are:

- Make sure to make AT LEAST one frame in which the rigs are closing their eyes. You can do this animation by ROTATING the UpLids of the eyes to make them like the rig is closing their eyes, then make them re-open by copy-pasting the UpLids' precedent position in the next one.

- Make sure to not make your rig seem static. You can avoid this with a very, very easy and stupid trick.

In your next frame, rotate a tiny, tiny, very tiny bit the conjunctions Spine and Pelvis. This will create an effect of movement on the upper part of the body, and the bottom one. Cool, right?

- Do not make your rigs do impossible movements. Try to imagine their movement, their point of balance. Absurd animations aren't pretty to look at. My first ones are faulty of these problems, but you can avoid them!

- Try also to image the impact. Ex: the man is doggy-styling the woman, so he's clearly exerting some force on her, meaning he's pushing her.

4.3 Things to consider, minor problems and such

If you're gonna add sounds (and you should ;) ), it would be wise to make a note of which points could use a clip sound.

Ex.: at frame 45, the woman closes her eyes in pleasure -> clip sound of moaning at 45. So make a note of 45 somewhere.

The penis of the Sims (and the rig's) is actually enormous and, if you're doing a blowjob, I would recommend to not be afraid to stretch the "blowjobbing" rig's mouth, by grabbing it with G. In-game the default penis is incredibly huge, and you'll be likely to do some errors.

If you got your camera stuck somewhere, that's because it's far from the core point (the red and white circle on the ground).

You can fix yourself by adjusting your camera so that it is facing ground, or you can use this function:

image.png

If you did some errors and you want to undo, you can do it by using this menù:

image.png

5. Saving the animation files

Alright, after everything is said and done, you'll need to save TWO different files, one for the male, one for the woman.

Don't be afraid, delete first the woman AS WELL AS her body parts (feet, head, etc.) and save the new file as Save as (this way, you'll keep the original and the new one, the man's). Do the same for the woman.

Extra: useful messages around the website

Just a collection of some useful comments around here, that could be of some help.

Zorak's comments on moving certain keyframes to make the animation look less stiff:

- http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1880430

- http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-8?do=findComment&comment=1904945

Extra: suggestions and other problems.

This guide won't cover how to save animations, since it's already much clear in TD's guide. If you mess up something that'll be likely the XML and some name you wrote wrong. Don't be shy and contact me, Zorak or any other animator and we will help you ;)

Any other problem you face please use this thread: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-1

Any suggestions and anything to add to this guide, please pm me.

Attached: a zip containing the different images I used, for any purposed (in case the link brokes, your personal use, etc.).

Images for the Blender guide.rar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Redabyss

- Special post with some tips from Golden88 (http://www.loverslab.com/topic/71897-sims-4wip-golden88s-sex-animations-for-wickedwhims-03042017-second-stage-of-standing-doggy-added/page-1)

I asked him some questions on how he works, and here's the "interview". I will highlight the most important parts. I hope it could prove useful to you animators :)

Q: Generally how much you separate frames from one another to create such speed while keep everything natural? 

observation from  relate adult video is really helpful for making realitic  animation for me.  before I starting making  animation  I will observe the movement via adult video which is alike my work,and i play video with 3 time slower speed in order to observe force and impact accurately, especially any body part that is affected by each impact. for example: like how  force from male affect female body part after each impact. 

and one other thing i think that is useful for making movement natrual is that
i keep certain ratio for male's thrust in and pull out. the best thrusting ratio will be 2:3 imo. 2 for male's thrust-in and 3 for male's pull out. for example:  time for male thrust in will be shorter amount of time than pull out.

Q: How many frames you create per animation?

i create 400 and 600 frame for  "doggy on the floor 1.2." and 1400 and 1600 for standing doggy1.2. 

Q: what you do to, for example, keep the legs of the woman steady in a doggy?

i acutally still looking for a method to lock leg and hand, and  i still not find any tool in Blender that can do the job. but i found a way that can make a illusion that can reduce leg dislocation . 

I keep the skeleton joint name "b_ROOT_bind" not too far from  ground, and leave M/F leg and knee bend a little. if the disslocation is still too obvious, i will start rotate the joints named b_Pelvis to get feet in same place.

• 1 month later...
Guest Redabyss

Hi Redabyss! 

I think it might be really good to supplement your nice guide (thanks a lot for it!) with Zorak tips: this and this, so one could find such helpful things in one place.

How do you look at this?

Yeah, actually I've been thinking the same, I think I'll do a section for useful messages around this website. Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have been fighting with this for 2 days and re-read everything 100 times. Can someone be so kind and explain how to get both the male and female rigs in same frame. All it's doing for me is opening separate boxes. Sorry if I over-looked the details on how to get it done.

Guest Redabyss

Hello everyone. I have been fighting with this for 2 days and re-read everything 100 times. Can someone be so kind and explain how to get both the male and female rigs in same frame. All it's doing for me is opening separate boxes. Sorry if I over-looked the details on how to get it done.

You need to open one rig (click normally on it) then do "Append" (from file, while in Blender) for adding the other.

You need to Append the other rig, as well as its body parts (leg, head, etc.).

You need to open one rig (click normally on it) then do "Append" (from file, while in Blender) for adding the other.

Thanks a million. Was about to just give up. Now, to get started trying to make some decent animations

Guest Redabyss

Thanks a million. Was about to just give up. Now, to get started trying to make some decent animations

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-1 use this thread for other problems :)

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions- is there a way to just move two different bones that are connected to others? Say, the pelvis or the spine, so that the legs don't move as well, or the entire top half (pelvis and spine respectively?)

And is the only way to mess with the mouth (with it opening) is by way of the wicked whims tutorial?

Edit: I think I figured out the first issue. Kinda. Fiddled a bit and was able to lock bones into place, for the most part by way of Inverse Kinematics through Pose. Still unsure about the mouth bit. I've managed to mess with that a bit, but it looks awkward with the teeth. Is that something I can also mess with, or does it get figured out later?

Guest Redabyss

Two questions- is there a way to just move two different bones that are connected to others? Say, the pelvis or the spine, so that the legs don't move as well, or the entire top half (pelvis and spine respectively?)

And is the only way to mess with the mouth (with it opening) is by way of the wicked whims tutorial?

Edit: I think I figured out the first issue. Kinda. Fiddled a bit and was able to lock bones into place, for the most part by way of Inverse Kinematics through Pose. Still unsure about the mouth bit. I've managed to mess with that a bit, but it looks awkward with the teeth. Is that something I can also mess with, or does it get figured out later?

Hello! 

So, well, the legs are always problematic because if you move the pelvis, they move as well. In my latest animations, I started to manually adjust them, and I think other animators do this as well. It's not that hard.

About the mouth, you need to make sure you're working on the jaw bone first and foremost, otherwise the end result won't be the one you want :)

For other questions, use this thread: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-12

Hello! 

So, well, the legs are always problematic because if you move the pelvis, they move as well. In my latest animations, I started to manually adjust them, and I think other animators do this as well. It's not that hard.

About the mouth, you need to make sure you're working on the jaw bone first and foremost, otherwise the end result won't be the one you want :)

For other questions, use this thread: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/72023-the-general-wip-thread-for-animators/page-12

I've found using inverse kinematics on the thighs and knees help keep things in place. 

Thanks! And I've got one more question so I'll head on over there :)

• 1 month later...

Wow, this makes it seem like I could possibly do this.    Maybe.  :)   I keep thinking about it.

Question:  I've read a lot of TOU but I'm looking for a general rule or community practice.  If I knew of an animation that, with some variation, would do what I wanted, how best should I credit the originator?  Should I not do that at all?  Should I offer the animation to the originator?  In the event I actually did this, being "known" for it doesn't mean much to me.  I just have seen several animations that, with a tweak or three, would be what I wanted, and it seems easier than inventing the whole thing from scratch.  However, I certainly don't want to anger, offend, or violate norms with anything.  Should I just keep anything like that to myself and never upload it?

Wow, this makes it seem like I could possibly do this. Maybe. :) I keep thinking about it.

Question: I've read a lot of TOU but I'm looking for a general rule or community practice. If I knew of an animation that, with some variation, would do what I wanted, how best should I credit the originator? Should I not do that at all? Should I offer the animation to the originator? In the event I actually did this, being "known" for it doesn't mean much to me. I just have seen several animations that, with a tweak or three, would be what I wanted, and it seems easier than inventing the whole thing from scratch. However, I certainly don't want to anger, offend, or violate norms with anything. Should I just keep anything like that to myself and never upload it?

Hey! In this instance it's better to reach out to the creators of the animations and let them know your thoughts,

Many creators don't expect a ton of praise but it's always nice to hear feedback,

Some may be upset with their work being altered too,

My advice is to use the motivation you have, to make from fresh :)

Even if you find yourself making something that's already existing, it's not gonna be the same, this way your work can add further depth to the animations that you already enjoy!

There's lots of help available and I honestly think it'll be easier than trying to read other people's dope sheets as everybody works differently ;)

Wow, this makes it seem like I could possibly do this. Maybe. :) I keep thinking about it.

Question: I've read a lot of TOU but I'm looking for a general rule or community practice. If I knew of an animation that, with some variation, would do what I wanted, how best should I credit the originator? Should I not do that at all? Should I offer the animation to the originator? In the event I actually did this, being "known" for it doesn't mean much to me. I just have seen several animations that, with a tweak or three, would be what I wanted, and it seems easier than inventing the whole thing from scratch. However, I certainly don't want to anger, offend, or violate norms with anything. Should I just keep anything like that to myself and never upload it?

Hey! In this instance it's better to reach out to the creators of the animations and let them know your thoughts,

Many creators don't expect a ton of praise but it's always nice to hear feedback,

Even if you find yourself making something that's already existing, it's not gonna be the same, this way your work can add further depth to the animations that you already enjoy!

There's lots of help available and I honestly think it'll be easier than trying to read other people's dope sheets as everybody works differently ;)

good to know.  At this point it is all theoretical, but I am new to the community and I know communities have norms and standards.  Best to find out first off.  Thanks :)

good to know. At this point it is all theoretical, but I am new to the community and I know communities have norms and standards. Best to find out first off. Thanks :)

Even terms of use aside...

For the time and efforts you would take to learn everything it would be far easier and much more rewarding to create from scratch,

Many animations with multiple actors rely on keyframes of multiple dopesheets running in sync and it wouldn't take much to get in a mess with it and will cause massive brain ache!

There's some good tutorials here provided by Turbo and Redabyss and also many of the creator's are happy to help if you get stuck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with appending. in short, I don't get it. i'm not even sure if I have to use appending to achieve this. i'm trying to get two copies of the same rig in one scene, and i'm note sure how to do that

Hey!

From what I've noticed, it's not possible to use the same rig twice,

Maybe try copying the blend file in your folder and name it something different,

If that doesn't work, then append a fresh rig, highlight all bones of the rig you wanna copy,

Then in the "pose" menu, select "copy pose"

Then switch to your new rig and highlight all bones, in the pose menu, select "paste pose"

Good luck! :)

I'm having an issue with appending. in short, I don't get it. i'm not even sure if I have to use appending to achieve this. i'm trying to get two copies of the same rig in one scene, and i'm note sure how to do that

Hey!

Maybe try copying the blend file in your folder and name it something different,

If that doesn't work, then append a fresh rig, highlight all bones of the rig you wanna copy,

Then switch to your new rig and highlight all bones, in the pose menu, select "paste pose"

thank you!

Hey!

thank you!

Hey!

Yes, you cant append the rig from the file you are already using, but you can append the same rig from another file several times. 

Also for poses, i got another alternative for you.

Selecting all bones --> CTRL-C --> select other rig -->  CTRL-V   Also works.  I like it that way more.

Hey!

thank you!

Hey!

Yes, you cant append the rig from the file you are already using, but you can append the same rig from another file several times.

Also for poses, i got another alternative for you.

Selecting all bones --> CTRL-C --> select other rig --> CTRL-V Also works. I like it that way more.

Thanks for sharing that! That's a huge time saver, does that work for dope sheets too?

Thanks for sharing that! That's a huge time saver, does that work for dope sheets too?

Not any way i know.  You can press  SHIFT+D  to Duplicate in the dopesheet. But i dont know anyway to copy the dopesheet itself to another actors.  But maybe if you append an actor from another file it follows. Havent tried that.

Not any way i know. You can press SHIFT+D to Duplicate in the dopesheet. But i dont know anyway to copy the dopesheet itself to another actors. But maybe if you append an actor from another file it follows. Havent tried that.

I've found a way in the past, dope sheet data can be copy pasted between rigs but it's not possible to copy from separate blend files.

It is possible to append an actor and the data will follow :) then data can be copy/pasted to the new rig

• 2 weeks later...