Spyware windows 10 now worse then ever:

D_ManXX2

And performance is still an issue with fps dropping down to 48, but I blame the kernel for that, after all, it is written to be server and therefore share resources more equally across all processes.

The kernel is innocent. The Linux kernel is so much better than its Windows counterpart that it's not even funny. Blame OpenGL and/or crappy graphics drivers for any performance drops. It's about time OGL is getting replaced by Vulkan, really.

they are doing everything possible to force me into upgrading my OS to this:

attachicon.gifVIC20_startupscreen.gif

but i will slick with WinXP for now....

I remember that

As for sticking with XP I would, only I turn my PC on a few years back and got a "registry corrupt restoring from backups”, then a power cut, re-installing XP didn’t do any good since Microsoft turned off the activation servers

so up-graded to 7, I started to get a message about not being able to find this dll file or that dll file (a quick look on google and I discovered you get it from the microsoft update, this is after they turned of the updates)

So I've just upgraded to Win 10, at least I can play skyrim online again and skyrim SE.

as for the Apps, the first thing I did was remove as many of the apps I dont need (the ones I cant just happen to be microsoft apps)

I remember that

As for sticking with XP I would, only I turn my PC on a few years back and got a "registry corrupt restoring from backups”, then a power cut, re-installing XP didn’t do any good since Microsoft turned off the activation servers

so up-graded to 7, I started to get a message about not being able to find this dll file or that dll file (a quick look on google and I discovered you get it from the microsoft update, this is after they turned of the updates)

So I've just upgraded to Win 10, at least I can play skyrim online again and skyrim SE.

as for the Apps, the first thing I did was remove as many of the apps I dont need (the ones I cant just happen to be microsoft apps)

Dam how old is your computer?

I've been on Linux for almost two years.

The selection of games these days is pretty decent. Here's a screenshot from my Steam library:

IgZxSMG.png

Wine is doing a pretty good job, too. Check this out (Doom 2016 at 150+ FPS on GTX1070 in Wine):)

I still boot to Windows for Skyrim, though. The problem being that ModOrganizer doesn't work in Wine. It does some black magic to intercept file system accesses so it doesn't have to copy stuff into your Skyrim data folder and that breaks Wine.

Why so lurid?

There is no such thing "now". MS is maybe developing/testing some store protection like apple (why wouldn't they?) in the near future, but nobody states that it will prevent "custom" apps from being used. They cannot provide the upgrade to private and official PCs and then ban "custom" software. They would get sued in an instant by EU, governments, companies and so on.

So don't panic because some "insider" proclaims "the end of the world".

There must be a way to disable the non-custom option, as occurs now with the geolocation.

And the only reason why they are still able to sell win-OS is because of the games, all natively only for this OS.

Why so lurid?

There is no such thing "now". MS is maybe developing/testing some store protection like apple (why wouldn't they?) in the near future, but nobody states that it will prevent "custom" apps from being used. They cannot provide the upgrade to private and official PCs and then ban "custom" software. They would get sued in an instant by EU, governments, companies and so on.

So don't panic because some "insider" proclaims "the end of the world".

It's why they will be doing this gradually. First it's optional and default off. Then it's optional and default on. Then it's still optional, but turning it off will require a registry hack that's beyond most people's ability to perform on their systems. Then, one day, the registry hack will miraculously vanish with one patch that requires 10,000 really cool features, so nobody will really notice. The Enterprise version will of course still come with a feature to designate a domain controller a valid "store", so they can install enterprise software from there. This move isn't designed to reap additional profits from businesses anyway, it's aimed at consumers, so it will be perfectly sufficient to cripple the Home version.

People generally underestimate big corporation's willingness and ability to screw their customers. *shrugs*

I remember that

Dam how old is your computer?

which one?

my first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 (or ZX-81 as it was called in America) complete with a membrane keyboard and 1K of memory (tell that to the kids today and they won't believe you), my next one was a Commodore Vic-20 with 3.5K memory upgraded to an amazing 16K, then a Commodore 64 (which despite its name only had about 38K), Then the Commodore Amiga (I know a lot of Commodore computers). let see my mum died and my dad sold the house, I moved in my own place, which was great at first, then I noticed things, the thermostat that controlled the hot water wasn’t there (or I never found it), the only radiator that got hot was by the front door, there was a gas fire in the bedroom which had a blockage so the room filled with carbon monoxide. I moved out as soon as I could, I ended up at my kid brothers place (it was meant to be for a month whilst I finished my collage course, then my advisor was meant to refer me to a one year residential course in Nottingham, only it was government funded course and they pulled the plug on it), since my kid brother didn’t have a lot of room, I asked my older brother to look after my computer stuff, a year after I moved in with my kid brother, I got a place on a Housing co-op in London. I got my first PC there (I built it from parts I found, I think it was a 286 with 4MB and a 10GB HD, running win-95), I half expected it to go “bang” when I turned it on, after they kicked us out to make way for the Olympic village I moved in here, used some of my compensation to buy a new PC (if I waited 2 months I could of get a slightly better one for £100 cheaper). after my kid brother got kicked out of his place, he ended up here. On the computer side of things, the computer I built on the Housing co-op I’ve still got (I think it stills works, just got to put it back together, 15 years I’ve had it, not bad considering I half expected it to go “bang” when I turned it on), as for the one I bought, I’ve upgraded the memory twice, the motherboard twice, the CPU 4 times, I don’t know how many times I’ve up upgraded the hard drive (I’ve got 6 on this computer) I’m on my fourth computer case, I’m still using the same card reader that was on the computer I bought when I moved in. I’ve used the follow op systems:-

Sinclair basic –ZX81

Commodore Basic 2.0 – Vic-20 &C64

GEOS (Graphic Environment Operating System) – C64 (got given it)

windows 95

Windows XP

Windows Vista (upgraded back to Windows XP)

Windows 7

windows 10

Windows 7 (fed up with all the apps I don’t need)

windows 10 (only so I can play elderscrolls online and skyrim special ed)

I have a suspicion that amd intel and microsoft have been in bed with the guberment for decades now and they just do whatever they are told to do. Once that article came out in mid 2000's or maybe later about how any hard drive made by 2001 or later has a backdoor built into it for guberment agencies it seemed obvious. All this crap is designed to give guberment or worse total control over observation of anyone with a computer not active but passive so if they knew who they wanted to observe they could just pull it up in seconds either from records stored with the alphabet agencies or a direct connection it would just depend on what they wanted to know and how badly they needed to know it. I remember when intel released that unique identifier thing in all pentium III chips saying it would provide security with e commerce sites or whatever but dam did people have a fit about it and so mobo manufacturers had to build in an option to disable it in the bios. Now we have all kinds of crap in any intel chip after 2011 and you can't really turn it all off either. But the guberment doesn't totally need cooperation from intel amd and microsoft they can buy data from third parties any time and those third parties are getting better and better at data mining us to death so that someday any company or guberment will know what to think of someone before they get out of childhood.

I don't trust the guberment or intel or amd or microsoft but it doesn't matter because everyone has to use a credit or debit card sometime and almost everyone connects to the internet all the time. Until people really decide to do something about it nothing will happen except mining us for everything they can.

@ zikare

What about those of us that don't use MO or NMM can we play skyrim and fallout 4 in linux? What about setting up a virtual machine of win7 on linux does VM support graphics acceleration now?

What about those of us that don't use MO or NMM can we play skyrim and fallout 4 in linux? What about setting up a virtual machine of win7 on linux does VM support graphics acceleration now?

Oldrim yes.

SSE and Fallout 4 do not currently run in WINE. WINE is currently adding DX 11 support at a rapid pace, so this might change down the road.

I haven't tested it, but NMM should actually work just fine in WINE. In contrast to MO, which performs a dirty hack on the file system to mirror the mod folders into /data at runtime, NMM is a fairly benign piece of software.

hardly much worse, windows 10 was spyware/adware focused malware from start. it uses literally million of proxy sites that are not feasible to block by any user connected to web. considering poor (due to active spyware) performance and limited compatibility its idiots os choice. then agian thats why they give it for free.

I have a suspicion that amd intel and microsoft have been in bed with the guberment for decades now and they just do whatever they are told to do. Once that article came out in mid 2000's or maybe later about how any hard drive made by 2001 or later has a backdoor built into it for guberment agencies it seemed obvious. All this crap is designed to give guberment or worse total control over observation of anyone with a computer not active but passive so if they knew who they wanted to observe they could just pull it up in seconds either from records stored with the alphabet agencies or a direct connection it would just depend on what they wanted to know and how badly they needed to know it. I remember when intel released that unique identifier thing in all pentium III chips saying it would provide security with e commerce sites or whatever but dam did people have a fit about it and so mobo manufacturers had to build in an option to disable it in the bios. Now we have all kinds of crap in any intel chip after 2011 and you can't really turn it all off either. But the guberment doesn't totally need cooperation from intel amd and microsoft they can buy data from third parties any time and those third parties are getting better and better at data mining us to death so that someday any company or guberment will know what to think of someone before they get out of childhood.

I heard the same. Must be true.

I also heard that the gubbernmint are alien reptiles.  :ph34r:

Which gubbernmint you ask? All of them since gubbernmints are evil. The world would be a better place without any gubbernmint whatsoever.

Also they don't talk like you and me. So they definitely have to be reptiles.

I would change to linux or something of weren't for games compatibility.

As I said above, gaming on Linux made a lot of progress lately. There are thousands of titles available these days, including AAA ones. If you are not dead set on playing specific games, you will find at least some great games of literally every genre, maybe with the sole exception of MMORPGs. Yes, some publishers like EA or Ubisoft don't publish on Linux, but many other studios do. And who'd want to play that mass produced, soulless garbage from EA and Ubi anyway?

Let's phrase it that way: These days, saying Linux sucks for gaming is like saying that PS4 sucks for gaming because some games are exclusive on XBox. *shrug*

As I said above, gaming on Linux made a lot of progress lately. There are thousands of titles available these days, including AAA ones. If you are not dead set on playing specific games, you will find at least some great games of literally every genre, maybe with the sole exception of MMORPGs. Yes, some publishers like EA or Ubisoft don't publish on Linux, but many other studios do. And who'd want to play that mass produced, soulless garbage from EA and Ubi anyway?

Let's phrase it that way: These days, saying Linux sucks for gaming is like saying that PS4 sucks for gaming because some games are exclusive on XBox. *shrug*

not an argument

Exactly, google, apple and so on. Why are there no rants about google spying on you. Most people who complain about microsoft spying, are using

all kinds of socialmedia crap like facebook. You think they are not spying? Well thats naive. But it is ok, because i can tell all my friends/followers wich

color my underpants has today....

Don't get me wrong, i hate this spy crap, but please, this is not a microsoft exclusive problem.

The problem is that the enduser allowed such crap to happen from the start.

No outrage when companies started spying, nothing. Overwhelming silence. And silence means acceptance. And so it gets worse every day.

Everyone who bashes one company should know that the rest of the companies are no better.

The real problem is the average braindead moron who lurks the internet and uses google, facebook, twitter and so on, without even realising that he/she sits in a house of glas.

And these morons are not even reading any eula. They simply click the accept button all the time.

Humanity gets dumber every day and the hole socialmedia crap is playing a big part why.

Alright that's great and I know it's progressing but I don't want to "oh it's not compatible" sight ever whether the games are old or new if I want to try a game I want to be 100% sure it will work without bothering to check if it's compatible with os, nor do I want to dual boot specially now when ssd are still expensive.

Alright that's great and I know it's progressing but I don't want to "oh it's not compatible" sight ever whether the games are old or new if I want to try a game I want to be 100% sure it will work without bothering to check if it's compatible with os, nor do I want to dual boot specially now when ssd are still expensive.

Assuming you have no console - are you similarly angry with Windows that a lot of games aren't available for it and run on consoles only?

Assuming you have a console - what you are doing is a sort of dual booting. For some games you are using Windows, for others the console.

Why does Linux suck for gaming just because some games don't run on it and either require having other systems in addition to it, or the willingness to skip on them? I don't get that.

I am a "no console" player. I play PC games only. Whenever they advertise for their newest oh-so-awesome console exclusives, I just shrug. And go play one of the games I have. "Gah, the PC SUCKS as a gaming platform because that particular game isn't available for it!!!" is -not- what I am thinking. It's what I think most people would do. Funnily enough they hold it against Linux that some games are Windows exclusive. There are several thousand Linux games available on Steam. I would say it qualifies as a viable gaming platform. *shrug*

Assuming you have no console - are you similarly angry with Windows that a lot of games aren't available for it and run on consoles only?

Assuming you have a console - what you are doing is a sort of dual booting. For some games you are using Windows, for others the console.

Why does Linux suck for gaming just because some games don't run on it and either require having other systems in addition to it, or the willingness to skip on them? I don't get that.

I am a "no console" player. I play PC games only. Whenever they advertise for their newest oh-so-awesome console exclusives, I just shrug. And go play one of the games I have. "Gah, the PC SUCKS as a gaming platform because that particular game isn't available for it!!!" is -not- what I am thinking. It's what I think most people would do. Funnily enough they hold it against Linux that some games are Windows exclusive. There are several thousand Linux games available on Steam. I would say it qualifies as a viable gaming platform. *shrug*

No I wouldn't be, very few console games interest me, many come to pc anyway and if not emulation comes in ~5 years, windows has tens of thousands of games of which linux can only play x<100% even if I had a console dual booting would still be extra work and not really comparable and I told you what another problem with dual booting was, you ignored it, let me make this clearer dual booting is more work than not dual booting, managing two operating systems is more work than managing only one hence: not dual booting > dual booting.

No one holds anything against linux as a gaming platform it is simply an inferior one that doesn't play 100% of games out on windows and usually with worse performance when it does. Heck the simple fact that the only way I'd consider linux would be with dual-boot speaks for itself, what would even be the point? Maybe when I have no other choice but to drop windows 7 I'll consider it.

And since we are on a modding forum ,one of the things that takes a big percentage of my gaming time and is in some ways entertainment itself, let ask how's that working out on linux? While FO4 is total garbage I'll still mod it at some point is it even available for linux? Or do I have to dual boot? Or worse emulate the operating system on top of the game cutting performance?

Glad I don't use it but can't you just set your firewall to block the windows update program?  I know not all firewalls can block a specific application from communicating over the internet but if I were in this situation I would make sure I had one that could.

or they could try blocking it with the host file.

(just in case if anyone does not know what that is: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm )

The general problem with Windows is that it's infeasible to disable the spyware functions without killing the update mechanism, which you need to get the security patches and other vital hotfixes. Which you -need-.

Archived