[mod] Bigger Events

ngppgn

Bigger Events

What does this mod do?

As the title conveys, this small mod increases the size of some event windows - more exactly, those of narrative_event and long_character_event.

This has a double objective:

A ) Bigger event pictures: Vanilla event pictures have a size of 450x140px. While this is reasonable good, one can sometimes struggle to find pictures of the right format, or on the other hand find a picture which is thematically wonderfull but wouldn't fit the size linits. With this mini-mod, you can have event pictures of any size up to 450x440px.

B ) Bigger text box: Sometime you just need some extra sentences to convey a scene, and that might force your to use a narrative event (meaning smaller font and mandatory title, even if you would rather not have one). Well, Never more! Now both the narrative event and the long character event have much more writing space!

Compatibility

The mod is updated to the latest version of CK2 (2.6.3) and is almost self-contained: it only modifies two pairs of vanilla .dds files, so it should be usable along with any other mod wich does not touches these.

The mod has been created taking into account the wide range of resolutions members of the community use, and should be compatible with all of them.

NOTE: The screenshots are made using the 1280x1024 resolution.

Issues

You might find that the even pictures border is a little too shap against the parchment background. There is nothing that I can do to concile that with the posibility of larger event pictures, short of editing all vanilla picture events, which I'm not inclined to do. Anyone who finds a more pleasant solution to that feel free to let me know.

For the sake of simplicity of design, I've made it so event frames don't show for the two modified types of event, since the changed window sizes would mean modifying all the vanilla frames to fit the new designs. This might be done in a later version, but not in the foreseable future.

Permissions

This mod has been designed and is intended to be used by others in their own mods, to have more freedom in their events. As such, you are free to integrate this in any mod you want to publish. I only ask that you give credit and provide a link to this post so that others can get access to the resource if they want to.

Thanks and Acknowledgments

-To this community and its members.
-To noxbestia, for some very valuable imput and the very idea that sprang the final design of these event windows.

View File

• 4 months later...

Is there a possibility of giving character events bigger windows at all please?

I'm new to mod making, and just working in them, but would like to incorporate larger images. Thank you.

Sure is, you would you just have to fiddle a bit with the files. 

But what do you want that for if I may ask? I mean, like 80% or so vanilla events are character_events with little text and vanilla images so you would be getting a lot of empty space. If you want to add new events you can just use long_character_events instead.

Is there a possibility of giving character events bigger windows at all please?

I'm new to mod making, and just working in them, but would like to incorporate larger images. Thank you.

Sure is, you would you just have to fiddle a bit with the files. 

But what do you want that for if I may ask? I mean, like 80% or so vanilla events are character_events with little text and vanilla images so you would be getting a lot of empty space. If you want to add new events you can just use long_character_events instead.

So like, my event starts

character_event = { 
	id = IST.56
	desc = IST.072_desc

If I just bung "long_" at the start, it'll work with this mod? Because that'd be fucking excellent my man.

EDIT: Oh my gawsh, just tested it and you totally can. That is fucking baller, thank you my friend.

• 5 months later...

Weird, I edited the OP's text but it seems it didn't take effect....

In any case, the file has been updated. Big news from 2.8, folks!

1) you can now design and script you new custom window events, so there's no long a need to hijack one of the vanilla event types. So you can have your events use a custom window and the vanilla narrative events keep using the vanilla window. See the files for an example.

A note to modders that require their users to have this active as a separate mod: (namely, @DocToska), to instead integrate the new system into their main mods, specially I changed my files to no longer hijack the narrative events by default. I also encourage others (@dewguru and @noxbestia come to mind) that have integrated the old system into their main mods to instead migrate to the new ones, for the sake of preserving the look of all vanilla events.

2 hours ago, bicobus said:

So updating would technically change nothing for the end user and still be compatible with existing mods?

No, if an end user updates this mod but another mod does not use the new technique (adding the window = "somewindowname" to their events, the events will display their vanilla windows instead of the custom ones.

But practically, I think no mod should be affected, since all the mods that take advantage of this (that I know of) are based on Dark World, which makes its own implementation of the previous system.

So *in theory*, yes, the update is only relevant for modders, not for end users, right now, as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 9:25 AM, ngppgn said:

Weird, I edited the OP's text but it seems it didn't take effect....

1) you can now design and script you new custom window events, so there's no long a need to hijack one of the vanilla event types. So you can have your events use a custom window and the vanilla narrative events keep using the vanilla window. See the files for an example.

A note to modders that require their users to have this active as a separate mod: (namely, @DocToska), to instead integrate the new system into their main mods, specially I changed my files to no longer hijack the narrative events by default. I also encourage others (@dewguru and @noxbestia come to mind) that have integrated the old system into their main mods to instead migrate to the new ones, for the sake of preserving the look of all vanilla events.

Sweet!!!  At one point I tried to make my own "graphic_event" type but that was before 2.8 and it would not work.

On 12/21/2017 at 9:25 AM, ngppgn said:

<---snip--->

<---snip--->

Where would I find more information on the options that can be used?  I didn't see anything in the wiki.  I have a fairly complex one now but I had to do some weird hacks to make it work as I wanted and I'd love to be able to do it right this time.

One word of warning for using this great feature:  make sure that the event type matches the custom window properties.  The examples in the file are of a narrative_event which accepts a character_event without issue.  A custom character_event blows up if you call it from a narrative_event, however.

testing the issue: 

1. I copied the default character event window definition from the CK2 files into my mod
  2. I simply renamed it with no other changes. 
  3. If I use a narrative_event to call that renamed window, I get a CTD. 
  4. It works fine if called from a character_event.

@ngppgn I have attached my version and give you permission to use and distribute it as you see fit, should you wish.

NoxTools-Graphic Events v0.1.0.0.7z

That is weird. If memory serves, the test modI have uploaded uses a window based on the narrative one with a character event and that works just fine (calling the event from the console). Will have to investigate and bug-report if I can repro the CTD.

1 hour ago, ngppgn said:

That is weird. If memory serves, the test modI have uploaded uses a window based on the narrative one with a character event and that works just fine (calling the event from the console). Will have to investigate and bug-report if I can repro the CTD.

Yes, your way works fine.  Reverse it and then it CTDs (at least for me).

WORKS: character_event & custom narrative window

WORKS: narrative_event & custom narrative window

WORKS: character_event & custom character window

BREAKS: narrative_event & custom character window

I have not tested things like provence_events or letter_events to see how they behave.

• 3 weeks later...

@ngppgn I was thinking of trying to make something similar for Stellaris or more realistically adapt your code for it. Is it okay if I use your code (obviously credit will be given) and do you have any advise/suggestions on how to do this? Obviously I'll have to make some changes for it to work, but I'm hoping that Stellaris and CK are similar enough that I'll be able to get away with making only some minor changes.

Neat. If it works, the basics would be simple: copy a window definition from a vanilla stellaris event window, rename it and definw your wvents to use the window you renamed. Then you can weaks the window's components and their textures. Assuming that is how it works in stellaris as well.

You should probably post a new thread with the results for the other stellaris modders in here, I you don't mijd the suggestion.

I've gotten it so I can put a larger image into the events.

2018_01_26_1.thumb.png.5daf730806efca37ea1ebde027a2bef2.png

But as you can see the text of the event and options go over the image and, for some reason I can't figure out, the title of the event goes under it. I have yet to figure out how to do anything else besides making the image itself bigger. The image size was easy to change. Just change the physical size of the event frame. Was it the same for CK2? How did you get the rest of the event window the way you wanted?

There's bound to be a .gui file somewhere in the interface folder controlling the positions of the elements (see the one in the mod).

I have no clue what the file in stellsris that hodt their event window defintions, but in vanilla ck2 it is evenwindow.gui so maybe try that?

Also, in ck2 there's the guibounds console command which would tell you the name of the file when hovering over the ui element ingame. Again no clue if Stellaris has that.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, The4thSecret said:

Is there any chance of this mod receiving an update? It doesn't seem to work with the current version of CK2.

This isn't a functional mod for players. It's a framework for modders.

It will do nothing on its own without some form of modification to the events.

Archived