Skyrim special edition

Stick to the original Skyrim!

With ENB and a few HD texture packs, original Skyrim still looks better.

SKSE isn't complete for Special Edition, which means that a lot of mods won't work, including SexLab aka no sex mods for a while.

Will most mods work with the skyrim special edition that rereleased at the end of last year or should I stick to the regular skyrim?

First of all, there is a whole SSE section here on LL available off of the main page.  Try looking there for most info.  As for the actual question:  It Depends.

If you are looking for the sex mods available here on LL, then use SOE (Skyrim Original Edition).  Until SKSE64 comes out, Sexlab, SOS, and most of the other mods on LL will not work for SSE.  At all.  And even once SKSE64 is out, there needs to be an MCM available for SSE.  And that means those mods MAY need a rewrite for the new MCM (hopefully not if the new MCM is designed correctly so it can just drop in replace the current MCM).  PLUS some mods have their own helper mods (dlls) that MAY need to be updated to 64 bit.  Also, at this time there is no HDT either, so no bouncy boobies/schlongs.

That being said, on Nexus a lot of mods that used to rely on SKSE for SOE have been updated and rewritten to not require SKSE  (Campfire, Frostfall, BetterVampires, etc).  That may mean some features have been dropped for the SSE, some were rewritten.  Check them for yourself.

It is a simple equation:

1)  Can you live without HDT or SexLab/LL mods in your game?  if 'no' = SOE.

If 1 is 'no', then skip the rest...

2)  Never had skyrim (SOE) installed before?  'yes' = SSE (no reason to back track).

3)  If you already have skyrim (SOE) and already have mods, go through your mod list and find the mods you cannot live without.  Then check them and see if there are replacements for SSE (either original updates, or new mods that replace their functionality).  If the mods you cannot live without have suitable replacements (and suitable is based on what YOU want, not what others say are suitable) then switch to SSE.

One other thing to note is the ENB  available for SSE is limited version compared to what's available for SOE.  So if ENB is a deal-breaker, stick with SOE (although some of the ENB functionality is included with SSE, so again, it's what YOU think you live or live without).

Will most mods work with the skyrim special edition that rereleased at the end of last year or should I stick to the regular skyrim?

It all depends on heavily you want to mod your game. There are a ton of mods that require SKSE, which is not available yet for SSE. If you want to play with just one of those mods, you're better off sticking with Oldrim.

Personally, I find SSE to be infinitely more stable than Oldrim. The constant crashes and all the headaches associated with fixing them is why I never finished Oldrim. I'm much closer to finishing the main quest lines in SSE. I haven't run across an Oldrim non-SKSE mod that doesn't work with SSE. Not that I've tried them all.

From what I've noticed, most of the mods that work in Skyrim also work in SE.  The main difference is that the ones that require SKSE that have been ported use a spell, power, or book for configuration instead of the MCM but for the most part all of the features are still there.  The ones that flat out don't work are the ones that have features aside from MCM compatibility that require SKSE.  Most of those have not been converted or have features stripped out.  SKSE is not the only incompatibility though.  There are some meshes that don't work in SE if you try to use certain Oldrim mods.

You'd be surprised how much works already though.  I think Flower Girls is the only option for any sex related stuff but it works.  SE has much better stability and also much better performance so I've already switched over and would not be surprised if I get farther than I did in legacy Skyrim.  I've always eventually reached a point where I had to give up due to instability with legacy Skyrim.  SE never crashes unless you're testing a mod that is broken.  I've played for a couple hundred hours so far with no crashes (excluding broken mods that I've uninstalled).  This is with 234 mods and 164 plugins (about half of which are unmodified Oldrim mods).