Adding HDT to a custom cape

Cacharadon

I don't have too much experience modding so use baby words when explaining things, please.

I'm trying to modify the cape from the Raven Witch Armor so that it flows behind my character when running. I'm following this guide "Setup: Attaching HDT to an existing mesh", but some of the steps are pretty confusing. Step one asks me to open my armor in nifskope with T/BBP weighting. I opened up the armor piece in nifskope but have no idea how to check if it has T/BBP weighting, or how to add said weighting if it's not there already.

The sixth step asks me to edit the string index to point to a .xml file, but the given example is for the .xml of a CBBE body file. I assume this is not the .xml file I need to get my cape working? I have the Illustrious HDT Cloaks of Skyrim mod as well, and it has a single .xml file in it. Should I point the string index to this? Should this .xml file be copied to the Raven Witch Armor folder?

The cape for the Raven Witch Armor is its own armor piece (not attached to the cuirass) using one of the unused body slots, similar to the cloaks of Skyrim mod. Would this create additional issues when setting up hdt physics for this cape?

That guide is for adding hdt to bodies already rigged with breast/glute nodes, and the xml refers to a hdt xml designed specifically for bodies.

To add hdt to armors, you have to create skeletal nodes, paint the weight in 3ds/blender, use the havok plugin to export the bullet physics, create xml, then link the xml with the exported mesh and test in game. There was a good youtube video a while back that shows you how to create skeletal nodes, add constraints, paint weight, export to xml etc, but I can't seem to find it...

if it using the same UV mapping

just swap their textures path with nifskope

So If I switch the Raven witch cape's texture with the texture for an hdt cape, the Raven witch cape will get its physics? Could you explain what UV mapping is and how I can check it on a cape?

I opened them both up in nifskope, how would I go about swapping textures from here.

HDT cloak

post-560004-0-94252600-1488598739_thumb.png

Raven Witch cape

post-560004-0-69242100-1488598741_thumb.png

I think what gutris1 was suggesting was that you make the already hdt cloak look like the raver armor by switching the textures, circumventing the need to learn how to make the raven armor hdt in the first place. Unfortunately, I tried that, but it didn't work. Anyway, I have a vested interest in this topic as well and was going to post something similar before I found this one. My google-fu has failed me thus far - most people are just interested in big boobs. No surprise there. :P

Bones have Maximum ankles they can swing, so the cape doesnt clip in your back, you would mess them up if you rotate them i think.. go to youtube and search for canderes hdt , there you can see the progress clear

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to add HDT weighing to the Gwelda Vampire cloak, by copying the weighing data from one of the Illustrious cloaks.

1. Open Outfit Studio.
2. New Project.
3. (Reference) From File meshes\clothes\CloaksofSkyrim\HDTcloakvaerminaf_1.nif.
4. (Outfit) From File meshes\DX\MiniArmorsCollection\Cloaks\GweldaVampire\DX_MAC_Gwelda_1.nif.

I rotate and move the cape mesh so it aligns with the cloak as much as possible, looking as below in Outfit Studio.
post-368191-0-77436700-1505483675_thumb.png

5. Right-click the Cape and Copy Bone Weights -> I have to increase the search radius to 9+ for all vertices to get weighted.
6. Save Project (without the reference).
7. Generate outfit in BodySlide.

The result leaves something to be desired. Although the cloak does move in an HDT manner, it's distorted beyond all recognition.
post-368191-0-46775200-1505483766_thumb.jpg post-368191-0-46653300-1505483773_thumb.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Apologies for necro'ing this thread but I felt it was better to keep HDT cloak related info in a single topic.

Archived