Skyrim character creation

HD_Affair

tl;dr: How do you get longer ears for your characters?

I'm not particularly good at creating characters, in fact most of them are based on presets I have downloaded and modified. I'm now quite happy on how my character turned out (based on a preset). Anyway I wanted to give her some longer ears after seeing some screenshots from different authors.

Like I said, I'm not really knowledgeable on the creation process, so currently I have set the earshape to 3 in racemenu to give my character some elven knife ears - but they're kinda vanilla sized and I wanted to see how'd she look with some unlore friendly ears. The ear size slider doesn't work, as it just morphs them to oblivion - the other shapes don't really fit a dunmer all that well imo. I tried to use the sculpting tool to try and create something but the mirroring didn't work all that well so I gave that up too. My best idea was to load up a .nif file from a follower or a preset with longer ears, add a mask on them and then load my old character back. It didn't work all that well as the ears were created for that character and transferring them was a shot in the dark at best. I then honestly tried to use nifskope to manually modify the damn coordinates of the vertices to create some longer ears that I could easily mirror since I had the exact number. Didn't work out, tedious at best.

So here we are, I decided to ask on the forums, since chances are someone here knows something. I haven't tried ECE which might be the thing I'm doing wrong, but I've gotten so used to how lovely Racemenu is I haven't really bothered. I've had some bad experiences with ECE as my characters created/loaded with RC would look broken when ECE is on and vice versa.

I use the sculpt tab in RaceMenu. It can be a very tedious undertaking, but start with an elf ear, use "Move" to pull it out and around. Smoothing helps to get rid of jagged edges.

post-1076484-0-80032000-1487469445_thumb.jpg

post-1076484-0-72051200-1487469508_thumb.jpg

You said you tried this and weren't happy with the mirror thingy, I usually get the general shape out lined with the mirror active, then turn it off to fine tune each one.

There are some mods out there that give you equipable elf ears.

Edit: Here's one mod that gives you pretty nice elf ears. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13173/?

Archived