Modding, only your gameplay or creating mods?

echotest123

I just wanted to throw this in to the room:

I've been modding my Skyrim and other games since 2012, but until recently I've been a happy 'end-user' and had little knowledge about how to make mods or how to use those tools properly.

Just as my loadorder comes ever closer to being full, I started to learn how to use xEdit properly, the next step will certainly be the CK.

After that, I'll probably start creating my own little mods.

So, getting to the question: Do you only use mods or also create them? If you only use mods, how versed are you with the ... essential tools and how long did you need to learn how to use them?

Using mods is a bad idea without checking them first with xedit I learned that the hard way when I first got started years ago. Almost every modder has errors in their mods and most of the time it is not their fault but the CK fault. Dam buggy software we have to use just sucks the life out of modding sometimes.

@gregathit: I think thats how it always starts ;) The only Mayor difference might be the time it takes till you build your first mod.

@Captain Cobra: That went the same for me way back when I was playing WC3, and that was 'only' a mapeditor...

@Zor2k13: I like xEdit, it has a great interface, reminds me a lot of notepad++

Mod user. Someday I wish to learn everything there is to know about the game I want mods for and make them myself with skill and technical know-how to perfect them to my taste. More often than not I end up disappointed or wanting more from most mods out there, not complaining of course. Until then my wish list of games grows as I tease myself thinking "hey it'd be awesome if someone modded that game!", when it should be my lazy ass.

Mod user mostly. I've tried CK to create a custom follower, followed the instructions to the letter (started over several times) but it just causes CTD every time, which is kind of demoralising when you're starting out.

I'd love to get into making mods, I've got experience with other games in the past but I'm not sure I have the time to learn Skyrim modding now, especially when my first attempt was a failure.

Usually I change only existing mods for my personal usage and or try to fix the stack dumps shown up so often in papyrus.

Til now I do not really know how to use the graphic features of CK or the usage of Blender.

Doing my first little own mod was a lot of trial and error and much more work than expected.

I would like to know how to fix the kinky world mod so that the sims will change for showers.  seems the game starts ok but after awhile suddenly the sim will not auto change to shower or use the bathroom.  Also later in the game the sim will not change to work clothes seems to be lost.  it only happens when I have loaded the kinkyworld mod.. all the other mods seem to work ok

I make more stuff than I share...tons more.  I probably upload about 10% of what I make.

That's pretty amazing tbh, why is that?

Mostly...I hate taking screenshots, typing out ReadMe's and just 'dealing with it' in general.  Some of the stuff I make for myself is based on my DAZ work.  I'm not going to share those with the Bethesda fan base just so some asshole can convert them to work for FO4/Skyrim/CBBE/OutfitStudio bullshit.  My work on SmithMicro and Renderosity intentionally stays separate from what I do these days for ANY game.

I'd say I'm a mod user but I convert a bunch of armors to UUNP, edit textures and overall do personal little mashups or edits of armor mods, but that's only with Outfit Studio, TES5Edit and occasionally nifskope to fix bad render flags. I'd upload more than what I already have but damn, people are really aggressive about derivative mods and conversions.

I'd say I'm a mod user but I convert a bunch of armors to UUNP, edit textures and overall do personal little mashups or edits of armor mods, but that's only with Outfit Studio, TES5Edit and occasionally nifskope to fix bad render flags. I'd upload more than what I already have but damn, people are really aggressive about derivative mods and conversions.

I really like the work you did on Immersive Armors ;) Don't let vocal people stop you from doing what you think is right...

Archived