Paid Bethesda Mods on Steam. Again.

Ernest Lemmingway

Bethesda's at it again.

This has been discussed to death already so I won't bother pointing out the pros and cons. I'm simply pointing out what's being done. Go ahead and discuss it again here if you want. My hands are washed of any further posts to this thread.

EDIT: Changed link to PCGamer Magazine article about their 2017 attempt.

It looks like they intend to push this shit in over and over again until it sticks.

This honestly wouldn't be so unrealistic, so insane and so far removed from the concept of 'ok' if they weren't so scummy about it. It's not "oh modders deserve to get paid for their hard work!" -- that's just a line they're selling, Valve takes the lion share of the cut. They're out for money almost exclusively for themselves, and them trying to hide it using mod devs as a meatshield shows how stupid they've gotten.

"Need/Deserve to get paid" is imo a stretch, in that it sets up getting paid as the only validation that matters.

I do believe people deserve to choose for themselves under what conditions they put out their work though. So "deserve the choice" is more on the mark. Still, I don't think it's nearly the time for anything real to happen to beth games in that regard. Newell's really just taking people's temperature.

I believe wholeheartedly that a person should be compensated for their work. That does not necessarily mean money.

With that said, I note that it is a privately owned highly profitable international corporation that is pushing this. Did you know that Valve's revenue from Steam was $1.5B in 2014 and $3.5B in 2015? They more than doubled their revenue in just one year.

I propose something I call The 2% Solution.

Steam takes 2% of its profits each year and uses that pool to pay the modders. Popularity of a mod can be rated/measured by the number of unique downloads. The more popular the mod, the bigger the slice of that 2% pie.

If valve could be trusted to hire the right people to curate it would be fine. They can't.

If bethesda would accede to not getting the lion's share of the money it would be fine. They can't.

If they would allow for fair and honest IP controls it might work. They won't.

That bethesda thinks they can "get the world's best modders" to essentially fix their broken bullshit is hubris of the highest order.

If most modders could be held to an honest standard based on fair output, it could be the working model. They can't.

and those are just the surface reasons.

And thus donations are a better solution, except very few people actually give.

So they'll try again.

dont see what the issue is. game devs have been doing this for years just valve want a piece of modders hard work. seen as how for every one game there are roughly 20'000 mods  this is a huge profit for very little work on there part. they are however opening a platform kinda like nexus , loverslab. weather or not we use that platform who knows. i wont be. i dont use bethesda nor do i use nexus. it is also very doubtful that i wouldnt use steam also if it wasn't for a set few games only using steam as a platform.

steam will never give the modders 2%, never!. they are init for themselves.

its like another middle man service.

ill spend years making a game then give steam a slice of the profit just because i cant be bothered to sell that per said item or people cannot find my site to download said game. steam will die eventually. look at the current history of "gamespy" just like steam but way way worse as now people are only releasing games on the steam network so when steam does die say bye bye to your online games.

all that hard earned cash you worked hard for just went up in a puff of smoke and you have nothing to show for it. not even a digital DL when there server are offline

things that tip the balance out of steams favour are... 

1.letting a 16yr old hack the sheet out of your platform and not patching it(about 1yr ago)

2.the current amount of injector hacks that can be ported from one game to another with little to no effort.

3.the sheer lack of platform security full stop. 

"Injection is used by an attacker to introduce (or "inject") code into a vulnerable computer program"

now why on earth would i want my said game on a vulnerable site thats what you need to ask yourself, its a matter of time.

Playstation wouldnt even allow mods lol let alone injection software they keep everything under there control only allowing a per 1gb mod size to be used. steam are just "wannabes" as i call them kind of reminds me of a site i done years ago charging people to redirect them to the manufactures websites lol

Question:- if steam wants modders to be paid why dont they add donate button????? simple it does not increase there profit and creates 30 mins of work for someone that isnt getting paid lol

If valve could be trusted to hire the right people to curate it would be fine. They can't.

If bethesda would accede to not getting the lion's share of the money it would be fine. They can't.

If they would allow for fair and honest IP controls it might work. They won't.

That bethesda thinks they can "get the world's best modders" to essentially fix their broken bullshit is hubris of the highest order.

If most modders could be held to an honest standard based on fair output, it could the working model. They can't.

and those are just the surface reasons.

And thus donations are a better solution, except very few people actually give.

So they'll try again.

That about sums it up perfectly.

While i get that donation is the "cure all" to all of the paid modding argument i dont think participation via this method will ever get significant (i.e. in spoiler) that people could ever actually really on it

LL members list 71,000 odd pages long (the list not the number of members)

Capture.jpg

LL patrons

Capture.jpg

I fully agree with The Gaben that modders deserve payment. In fact, in the context of Skyrim modding, we NEED it!

For one, I should be compensated just for putting up with the Creation Kit!

...by Bethesda. On a regular basis. There should be some sort of salary for veteran modders to cover our therapeutic expenses.

...by Bethesda. On a regular basis. There should be some sort of salary for veteran modders to cover our therapeutic expenses.

that would take a class action lawsuit or two..................where do I sign? :P

that would take a class action lawsuit or two..................where do I sign? :P

After the last clean installation, CK just won't open. It's broken. I gave up.

???????

I don't get it, it is from 2 years ago?  So what is new about this?

You missed post #4 where a link was posted to a current story about renewing paid mods.  :)

I'm going to refrain from getting on a rant about how this is another attempt by big corporations (Bethesda and Valve) to abuse the people that support them.  The earlier suggestion that maybe they should pay modders out of a small percentage of their profit actually isn't bad after thinking about it.

Arthmoor's 'Unoffical Patches' team did far more to unfuck Skyrim than Bethesda ever did.  Modders keep the players interested and help those games sell extra copies.  Modders creations bring people to sites like Bethesda's and the Nexus, thus giving them ad revenue.  Maybe it IS time they support the modders that support them

I'm all for modders being compensated, what I'm not for is Valve and Bethesda (or other publishers) taking 95% of the revenue, giving only 5% to the actual modder. If your mod is selling for $5, you're getting $0.25 while Valve and Bethesda split the other $4.75; how is that fair?

"They supplied the creation kit!"

Invalid argument, everyone has the creation kit and can get access to it, it's development was funded by the game since it's the same tools they used to create the game with slightly less functionality.

"They supply the marketplace!"

Invalid argument, a modder can quite easily post their work to other sites or setup a Patreon to take money. All Bethesda/Valve are doing is trying to setup a monopoly through their workshop marketplace, restricting modders from selling elsewhere and then taking 95% of the revenue.

If you sell mods through their system, you're being ripped off, you're making money for them not yourself; yeah sure modders don't usually get compensated at all but if you end up selling only 200 units of your mod, that's only $5 total... I'm sure modders who are actually making content worth selling have received donations in excess of that; I know I have.

I think this will devide the modding community even more. moddiing is about sharing work. but what if the modders start abusing this like already happened using assets witch modders never told you could earn money over there work and you start building your mod grabbing other people asset this stealing from modding community. in the end this will drive normal modders out because they wont let there asset stolen by wannabe modders trying to earn a quick buck.

"They supplied the creation kit!"

Invalid argument, everyone has the creation kit and can get access to it, it's development was funded by the game since it's the same tools they used to create the game with slightly less functionality.

They created a broken creation kit witch isnt even the full creation tool they disabled certain parts in it.

my other two cents (words)

unreal-engine (epic games launcher),unity and generally any other game engine  that has now released tools for modders and coders. CK is poor in comparison to these.

Although now i have the fine details anime etc sorted it might be time to try again on a better platform than being limited by brethesda CK

who knows what future game modders will take

Archived